PDA

View Full Version : Knee wrap questions

Ripe1
04-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Hello all! How do you get the most out of your wraps? Is it a question of the tightness of the wrapping or more of a type of the wrap? Also, what are your favorite knee wraps with a pop out of the hole? I think I want more of a springy types than stopping?

SELK
04-23-2011, 05:04 PM
To get the most out of a wrap you need a good wrap tied tightly. I don't really think that the wrapping pattern matters all that much, but others may disagree.

It really depends how you squat for which wrap will be the most effective. I am a big fan of the APT convict knee wraps because they give very good support as well as last very long (I still compete with a pair that I bet I have over 100 squats in and they still give significant poundage to my squat). Ive also used the APT strangulators which are bit more springy but gave me slightly less support, if you dive bomb squats they may be a better option.

shocker4221
04-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Not to get off topic, but how much can one expect from using wraps? I tried them once for a few reps but they kept coming undone and I got aggravated with them.

Mark!
04-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Not to get off topic, but how much can one expect from using wraps? I tried them once for a few reps but they kept coming undone and I got aggravated with them.

I guess they're like anything else really, it depends on the person. I haven't tried wraps yet, buy plan on buying some soon, I'm sure there's a video out and about somewhere about how to tie them properly so that they don't come undone so easily.

kingns
04-23-2011, 07:38 PM
I tihnk its hard to put an exact number on how much they add, but Im am certain that if they are falling off they are not on properly....... Also the more of an olympic style squat you do, the more they would help you IMO. The only wraps I have used are the elite heavy and super heavy. Part of the equation about what wraps to use is do you have to wrap yourself or not. If I was gonna have to wrap myself I would want a stretchier/springier pair, but if I had a strong person to wrap me i would want the stiffest pair possible. Also only get 2m long wraps If you compete where 2.5's are illegal.
I have only done a straight wrap so dont know how a different wrapping style would help, but think as long as they are done tightly it shouldnt really matter

Brian Hopper
04-23-2011, 07:55 PM

That's hard to say. Some lifters can get 100lbs out of them and some get about 50lbs.

mastermonster
04-24-2011, 03:24 AM
I learned how to wrap from two of Garry Frank's lifters from Hardcore BB. The most I'd squatted equipped wrapping my old way was 850 at that time. Greg wrapped me that night and I did 903 pretty solidly. He did one wrap above the knee cap to pin down the patella tendon and then 2 wraps to get down below the knee cap to pin it down there. Then the rest of the wraps were piled up around the middle of the knee to get as much material behind the knee as possible. My best raw with wraps vs. raw without wraps meet squats are 99 lbs. apart wrapping like this. I did 650 with wraps at the APF Georgia in 2009 and 551 without wraps at the APF Ms. in 2010. I think we guys who get around 100 lbs. out of them maybe have a lot of previous wear and tear on our knees. I've had 3 knee scopes over the years. When I wrap I feel no pressure on my patella tendons. When I squat without them I feel a lot of pressure on them in the hole.

My favorite wrap is Titan THPs. I've tried APT Strangulators and Inzer Z-Wraps and highly prefer the Titan's.

Goll65
04-24-2011, 06:17 AM
I use Inzer Z wraps, I like them I get quite a bit out of them but I have bad knees so I'm probably getting some weight from support and some from actual spring. I wrap them myself, dont like other people wrapping me. I used to wrap them really tight but by the time I' finish my squat a lot of circulation got cut so now I dont wrap them as tight and I feel I get more out of them.

Ripe1
04-25-2011, 07:38 AM
Has anyone tried the Inzer's that are advertised on PLW? Sort of sticky material, cast like and very springy. Or that's what they say. I'd like to try APT's but too hard to get hold of.

theBarzeen
04-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Has anyone tried the Inzer's that are advertised on PLW? Sort of sticky material, cast like and very springy. Or that's what they say. I'd like to try APT's but too hard to get hold of.

a cast-like Inzer wrap? Not so much, even the TP-5000 knock offs he tried to sell a year or so back were crappy.
I've seen the new Inzer wraps online, and I used to use a set of the Z-wraps..... but if you want cast-like wraps the only way to go is TP-5000 for now. I've tried convicts, 2x wraps from APT, Inzer's knock off, and three generations of TP-5000 and the best are still the TP-5000's....... I just got in a set of wraps from Overkill that I'm going to try out this Saturday, they look stiff as heck like the TP's but different....... until then the best wrap I can recommend is the TP's wrapped as tight as you can.

blong
04-26-2011, 07:44 PM
I really like wraps that yield alot of spring out of the hole and I have been very pleased with the ZR-V Pro's from APT. Friend of mine used the strangulators and I had to wrap his knees and those things were stiff as hell and definately I think for someone who is looking for stopping power, cast like.

SELK
04-27-2011, 01:53 AM
The convicts are stiffer than the strangulators. APT also has "the wrap" which ive found to be almost useless because its TO stiff and you can only get a handful of rotations with it.

Ripe1
04-27-2011, 04:45 AM
The thingy with APT is that at the moment nobody knows how long it would take to get any wraps from them, if ever.

Tom Mutaffis
04-27-2011, 06:23 AM
I really like wraps that yield alot of spring out of the hole and I have been very pleased with the ZR-V Pro's from APT. Friend of mine used the strangulators and I had to wrap his knees and those things were stiff as hell and definately I think for someone who is looking for stopping power, cast like.

These are the wraps that I have and I like them as well, they are fairly 'user-friendly' in terms of being easy to wrap and not changing up your technique or anything.

The thingy with APT is that at the moment nobody knows how long it would take to get any wraps from them, if ever.

I would say that your best bet is to call/email to make sure that the wraps are in stock. If they are in stock then your order should ship right away.

mikesbench
04-27-2011, 06:35 AM
I'll 2nd the TP-5000, those wraps are insane.... I wouldn't recommend them if you're new to knee wraps though. They need to be TIGHT but once they are they seem to be both cast like and springy which seems contradictory, but that's how they feel to me. Also, if you want to wrap up for like sets of 3 or 5, I'd avoid the TP's for that... they work best to wrap up for 1 heavy lift and get 'em off ASP.

Keaffer14
04-27-2011, 03:19 PM

I have these wraps and use them now. They are a lot like the black mambas from APT. I like them a lot, they give a lot of spring, and you can wrap them really tight because of the grippy material.

Ermantroudt
04-27-2011, 05:05 PM
TP-5000XL-best wrap I have ever used.

SELK
04-27-2011, 11:50 PM
How long do the TP - 5000s last?

Niko_El_Piko
04-28-2011, 10:03 AM
I use the regular Titan knee wraps.

This is a very useful vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCfruLGBv-0

One thing that is very important. You shouldn’t be able to bend your knees if they are properly wrapped. Remember that. The most common mistake is to use them as common elastic wraps and that is WRONG! You need to get them as tight as you can and preferably somebody should help you.

And yes, it hurts like SHIT!

Regards!

mikesbench
04-28-2011, 11:35 AM
SELK, I have only used TPs that were previously used so far. They begin to deteiorate in appearance, especially on the ends after a few uses, but from what I've seen the performance lasts well past that. I guess it's hard to say how long they last; depends a lot on how ofter you use your wraps, but I would think you should be able to stick with a pair for about a year.

theBarzeen
04-28-2011, 02:54 PM
How long do the TP - 5000s last?

The set I just used at the Illinois state meet ( 3-20-11) was given to me by Ernie for my wedding on 6-7-08. I use them almost every saturday and they are still going strong.

Some of the older ones would rip if people wrapped them up really tight the first time out of the package. You kind of have to break in the wraps a little before you really start cranking on them, but after that they are good to go.

Like I posted earlier, unless the new Overkill wraps are better I'll be using the TP's at Seniors as well ( 3 years since their first use)

shocker4221
04-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Do most of you just put on your wraps for max effort lifts or close to max?

Brian Hopper
04-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Do most of you just put on your wraps for max effort lifts or close to max?

I would only put them on for a max lift, but mainly when I was getting ready for a competition. But other then that, I never took them out of my gym bag.

shocker4221
04-28-2011, 07:17 PM
I would only put them on for a max lift, but mainly when I was getting ready for a competition. But other then that, I never took them out of my gym bag.

Thanks Brian, that summed it up perfectly. Glad I read your response before I went out there and started wrapping up.

Ripe1
04-30-2011, 05:44 PM

Got a pair on Friday. Funny thing is our team's European Championships lifter wants to take them to the meet so I might not get to try them at all :hello:

cpa5oh
05-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Where can you get the TP-5000 knee wraps? Can anyone provide a link?

theBarzeen
05-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Where can you get the TP-5000 knee wraps? Can anyone provide a link?

The only one selling the original TP-5000 is Frantz sports in Aurora IL..... google them, and call over. Don't try to order online. If you call over they are good about getting stuff out ( from what I've heard, and as long as they are in stock) I just drive over when I need something.

rudy should have the Overkill version, " Constrictors" , for sale soon too. I like them better than the original ones so far.