PDA

View Full Version : Squat Training Video...

mikesbench
04-24-2011, 06:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMkZyZRWEaw

Some training clips fom 4-16, 4-20, and 4-23. Also, curious what people think of the reverse band squatting. Is that too much asstance? Trying to find an optimal setup for these, the lifts felt good, but should I be handling 900+ on these when my squat is roughly 100 lbs less?

Fuzzy
04-24-2011, 09:12 AM
I absolutely hate giving advice to people who are much stronger than me, but for what it's worth...

I don't think there is anything wrong with that much assistance, atleast you know what 900+ feels like on your back! and that's gotta count for a lot. I think general internet pseudo-wisdom would say it's too much, but too me it look perfect to experience that much weight and then have to blast through it. Other thing is... do you notice the bar tilt? Had me a bit worried.

Other than that, and like I said I feel really iffy about commenting on people much stronger than me, that was some beastly training!

Lones Green
04-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Mike, do you always lean like that to one side? Reason I ask is we have a guy who does that, but he's the very strongest out of any of us and it doesn't seem to bother him much. Could be setup or one side is stronger than the other, who knows

If it were me, I'd use less band tension and go like 50 pounds over my max. This is just because its what people have told me to do. I've never experimented with using weights around 100 pounds over my max.

mikesbench
04-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback Fuzzy and Lones. My bar tilt that you saw seems to come and go; it's definitely related to some trouble I'm having behind my right shoulder blade, I'm not 100% sure if this is a rotator cuff or rhomdoid issue but it come from swinging a hammer at work so there isn't much I can do to avoid the root of the problem (aside from a new career, which I am looking into). I do need to be mor diligent with ice and rehab for it though. It honestly doesn't bother me while I'm squatting, but I'd like to fix he problem all the same even if just for long term joint health. It basically seems like the right side of my upper back doesn't bunch up as well under the bar if that makes sense, this could also be due to long term arthritis on my right distal clavicle (seems like because of the shortened distance of that clavicle there is some "slack" in the supporting muscles).

Fuzzy, I don't know how much "stronger" I am than you, I know you train for oly lifting and therefore don't use the gear I use and probably view squatting as more of a supplemental lift. I still value your opinion and it bothers me that so many people are so quick to dismiss the opinion of people that don't outlift them. A person's level of strength is certainly something I consider when I see their opinion, but I still listen and asess for myself the merit of the opinion; I do appreciate your humility though; you see a lot of self-proclaimed experts without lifts to back it up.... ths is definitely not YOU.

Lones, I was remembering reading something from Louie that he recommended not overloading by greater than 10% if I remember correctly; that's basically why I asked this question to begin with. The lifts felt beneficial, but I think I might try using a few different levels of reverse and assistance. Maybe next time I could go with miis, or monster minis doubled. I used looped light bands once and I seemed pretty much pointless though