PDA

View Full Version : Bench Shirt Collar Positioning

tuna4me
04-24-2011, 02:01 PM
While reviewing some videos and looking at photos of guys benching.. more so in the Titan Singe Ply shirt arena, I noticed almost everyone had the collar jacked way up..........almost within inches of touching the neck as they held the bar in lockout...............I know keeping the collar up is supposed to make it easier to touch, but do you lose anything throughout the remainder or the benching effort? like off the bottom or at lock-out?

shocker4221
04-24-2011, 06:39 PM
I'd love to be able to provide an answer because I have a new Titan SK but i'm still breaking it in and learning the shirt. I would also be curious to the answer to your questions.

J_Byrd
04-24-2011, 07:03 PM
normally a high colar makes it easier to touch. I feel like it provides less pop from the chest, but you may like the groove better. I leave the colar up for most attempts, then pull it down when I am doing max singles. Hope that helps.

theBarzeen
04-24-2011, 07:41 PM
It's a game to find the right spot for the collar for the weight being lifted.... too high and you won't get as much support, too low and you won't touch. And it's different for everyone and every shirt depending on the shirt, the fit, and the way the lifter is built.

For example: My old Overkill 2-ply only has a one-inch scoop and the stiffer, original material. I open up at meets with the collar all the way up. By the third attempt I only pull the collar an inch or so lower, any more and I'll waste a lot of energy touching the weight.
My new 3-ply Overkill with a stretchier material has a 2-inch scoop... I can open with the collar set straight where it wants to lie then jack it almost to where my nipple is showing and take a big jump.

Same manufacturer, way different shirts, way different way to work them.

AdamBAG
04-25-2011, 08:06 AM
I wear a Super Katana for single-ply meets. With the collar low I get much more pop off the chest, but it does make it tougher to touch. Especially if you are attempting not to touch on the belly (per USAPL rules).

JK1
04-25-2011, 11:48 PM
While reviewing some videos and looking at photos of guys benching.. more so in the Titan Singe Ply shirt arena, I noticed almost everyone had the collar jacked way up..........almost within inches of touching the neck as they held the bar in lockout...............I know keeping the collar up is supposed to make it easier to touch, but do you lose anything throughout the remainder or the benching effort? like off the bottom or at lock-out?

First off, which shirts were they using and second what federation were they competing in? If they were using stock Katana shirts, the collars on those shirts tend to ride up. I personally don't like a stock katana because it feels like its choking the shit out of me. My wifes single ply F-6 and Fury were similar, although we were able to keep the Fury collar lower. With a Super Katana, the collar generally will sit lower because the shirt has a lower collar to begin with. You may actually see people pull that collar up to be able to touch weight in that shirt depending on how they set their arms.

The reason I ask fed if if I remember right (I may be wrong with this), if it was USAPL, the collar on an F-6, Fury, and Katana must stay manufcaturer stock--so the lifters couldn't have a scoop in the collar if they wanted one.

Those two things are probably why you noticed what you noticed.

AdamBAG
04-26-2011, 08:18 AM
First off, which shirts were they using and second what federation were they competing in? If they were using stock Katana shirts, the collars on those shirts tend to ride up. I personally don't like a stock katana because it feels like its choking the shit out of me. My wifes single ply F-6 and Fury were similar, although we were able to keep the Fury collar lower. With a Super Katana, the collar generally will sit lower because the shirt has a lower collar to begin with. You may actually see people pull that collar up to be able to touch weight in that shirt depending on how they set their arms.

The reason I ask fed if if I remember right (I may be wrong with this), if it was USAPL, the collar on an F-6, Fury, and Katana must stay manufcaturer stock--so the lifters couldn't have a scoop in the collar if they wanted one.

Those two things are probably why you noticed what you noticed.

USAPL allows a "stock" Super Katana. So whatever scoop is on a SK when it comes from Titan is allowed. I believe you are correct as far as further scooping of the collar.