PDA

View Full Version : Warm Up With Cardio, Then Go To Weights. Right? Wrong

Hugol
04-26-2011, 10:25 AM
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201104/warm-cardio-then-go-weights-right-wrong

KoSh
04-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Isn't this common practice? Weights then cardio?

mastermonster
04-26-2011, 02:09 PM
I rarely do cardio, but if I do; I do it after training. For a brief time I tried just a 5 minute walk on the treadmill to get the blood flowing before training but felt it cost me a little. I felt loose and warmed up but just wasn't hitting quite the same #s consistantly. Personally I think the cardio-vascular benefit of heavy intense lifting is vastly under-rated. At 55 and 265ish, I can walk most any fitness trainer off the treadmill.....partly because I'm stubborn as h*ll too!

Hobo Beard
04-26-2011, 02:59 PM
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201104/warm-cardio-then-go-weights-right-wrong

1st: Major BWAHAHA at this chick thinking since she was an "athlete" she knew how to train properly.

2nd: I've had to re-program MANY chicks I've help lose weight to do weights then cardio.

I'm sure many of you guys have also had to contend with the, "I don't want big muscles," fear when creating a lifting program for a chick. Like it's that easy! Haha.

chris mason
04-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Cardio should nearly always FOLLOW strength training.

theBarzeen
04-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Cardio? As in treadmills??!?!?!?!?

well THERE'S your problem..... cardio should be performed........ never. Unless you lost a bet.

Mark!
04-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Cardio? As in treadmills??!?!?!?!?

well THERE'S your problem..... cardio should be performed........ never. Unless you lost a bet.

Basically this is the best answer, haha. I may do some slow treadmill walking or a 4-5 minute slow bike ride before squats if I'm feeling really tight, but other than that, cardio..if ever actually done on a treadmill or any cardio equipment, it gets done after weights. Most of my cardio comes in the form of tabata and complexes.

vdizenzo
04-27-2011, 05:40 AM
I do most of my cardio and conditioning on off days. However, my back training is really short so I am going to hit up a little cardio afterwards as a result of reading this, thanks.

mikesbench
04-27-2011, 07:05 AM
My cardio comes from work. I walk plenty and oftentimes work is a more intense "cardio / strength" combo. I guess since my job demands this I feel I don't need to train cardio especially since I'm not trying to be a runner or triathlete.

Hobo Beard
04-27-2011, 08:05 PM
My cardio comes from work. I walk plenty and oftentimes work is a more intense "cardio / strength" combo. I guess since my job demands this I feel I don't need to train cardio especially since I'm not trying to be a runner or triathlete.

What do you do?

I remember when worked in a warehouse and Home Depot, work could train me for training if I wasn't careful.

mikesbench
04-28-2011, 11:40 AM
framing carpenter, so some days get pretty rough.

mike mcgee
04-28-2011, 11:51 AM
The best way this was explained to me was: "what does running on a treadmill have to do with bench pressing?". It makes sense. You should warm up whatever body part you're working that day with exercises that focus on that part of the body. You can do bodyweight movements or do some light weight higher rep movements.

vdizenzo
04-28-2011, 12:14 PM
The best way this was explained to me was: "what does running on a treadmill have to do with bench pressing?". It makes sense. You should warm up whatever body part you're working that day with exercises that focus on that part of the body. You can do bodyweight movements or do some light weight higher rep movements.

Since getting on the treadmill more regularly I am much better conditioned to work harder and I recuperate better. At the same weight i used to only be good for 2 attempts at a meet. Since working more on conditioning I am able to take 4 attempts no problem. In addition I have been competing more now than ever and this is in my forties.

Ryano
04-28-2011, 01:04 PM
I always walk on a track after weight training. While I walk, I drink a post workout shake and watch the chicks as they pass me by. LOL

Hobo Beard
04-28-2011, 01:05 PM
framing carpenter, so some days get pretty rough.

I bet.

My hat's off to you, brother.

I haven't worked construction a lot, but when I did I was exhausted when I got home!

I remember there didn't seem to be enough water or food after busting my ass for 8 hours in the sun.

Do you arrange your heavy workouts for the weekends?

Since getting on the treadmill more regularly I am much better conditioned to work harder and I recuperate better. At the same weight i used to only be good for 2 attempts at a meet. Since working more on conditioning I am able to take 4 attempts no problem. In addition I have been competing more now than ever and this is in my forties.

You guys are both right:

--The best way to warm-up for an exercise is that exercise.

--Conditioning work doesn't necessary directly "help" a lift, rather enables a lifter to not run out of energy while training or at a meet.

Hobo Beard
04-28-2011, 01:06 PM
I always walk on a track after weight training. While I walk, I drink a post workout shake and watch the chicks as they pass me by. LOL

Now, that's multi-tasking at its finest.