PDA

View Full Version : Elbow pain

shocker4221
04-26-2011, 11:14 AM
I've been experiencing a lot of elbow pain when doing tricep work, especially when doing skull crushers. Has anyone else had similar problems, and if so, would changing exercises or using wraps be the best solution?

gmen5681
04-26-2011, 11:36 AM
i actually found the best thing to get rid of my elbow pain was to cure the muscle imballance i had going on. i ordered the rubber band things from ironmind.com.

it was only 11 bucks and everyday i just play with them and expand my hands for 5 sets or whatever. had helped my a ton. plus i have been icing them daily.

just get a bunch of rubber bands and you can start with 1 and just keep adding them. will have the same effect as the ironmind things.

KoSh
04-26-2011, 11:44 AM
I use Nike's elbow sleeves. They've really cut back on elbow issues for me.

I think they were $20 for the pair.

I was gonna go Vulkan, but these were cheaper and still work well.

That said... I have the Vulkan knee sleeves... Awesome.

AdamBAG
04-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Are you benching in a shirt? That is often the culprit. Definitely Ice after shirt benching.

I have found extensions with DBs to be much more elbow friendly than skull crushers with a barbell.

mastermonster
04-26-2011, 02:21 PM
If the above suggestions don't work try dropping any isolation moves for the tris for a while and only do compound movements for them while still using ice and ibuprofen. Sometimes that's all you need to get the most tricep strength anyway; unless you're a bodybuilder and the details (look) of the arm is real important to you. If so, just try adding the Iso work back in after a few weeks. The compound moves should maintain your tricep mass til then. Isolation moves tend to stress the tendons more than the compound moves do. Good luck!

shocker4221
04-26-2011, 04:32 PM
i actually found the best thing to get rid of my elbow pain was to cure the muscle imballance i had going on. i ordered the rubber band things from ironmind.com.

it was only 11 bucks and everyday i just play with them and expand my hands for 5 sets or whatever. had helped my a ton. plus i have been icing them daily.

just get a bunch of rubber bands and you can start with 1 and just keep adding them. will have the same effect as the ironmind things.

I ice them as needed as well. I will also try the bands, thanks.

shocker4221
04-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Are you benching in a shirt? That is often the culprit. Definitely Ice after shirt benching.

I have found extensions with DBs to be much more elbow friendly than skull crushers with a barbell.

I haven't been in the shirt in two weeks but will probably be in it for the next 6 weeks, as I still break it in. I think your right and will change up by using the DBs. Why does using the shirt have this effect? Is it because of using that much heavier weights?

shocker4221
04-26-2011, 06:10 PM
If the above suggestions don't work try dropping any isolation moves for the tris for a while and only do compound movements for them while still using ice and ibuprofen. Sometimes that's all you need to get the most tricep strength anyway; unless you're a bodybuilder and the details (look) of the arm is real important to you. If so, just try adding the Iso work back in after a few weeks. The compound moves should maintain your tricep mass til then. Isolation moves tend to stress the tendons more than the compound moves do. Good luck!

Could dips be considered a compound move because of using chest and tri's?

theBarzeen
04-26-2011, 06:44 PM
does it hurt while you are using the shirt or just for skull-crushers?

If it hurts in the shirt: ice, reverse curls, hammer curls, ice more, rubber bands or the iron mind thingie, ice, then ice.

If it only hurts when doing skull-crushers: Stop doing skull-crushers and find some other way to work your triceps

shocker4221
04-26-2011, 09:15 PM
does it hurt while you are using the shirt or just for skull-crushers?

If it hurts in the shirt: ice, reverse curls, hammer curls, ice more, rubber bands or the iron mind thingie, ice, then ice.

If it only hurts when doing skull-crushers: Stop doing skull-crushers and find some other way to work your triceps

They are a little sore after using the shirt but nothing compared to when doing skull crushers. I used to never have problems with my elbows when doing them until about 2 months ago. After the first time I had a lot of pain after doing them, I did alternate exercises for a month and then they hurt like hell for a few days. The other day, after another month of not doing them I tried them again and have the same result. They have always been a favorite of mine but like so many say, I have to find something else to work tris.

mastermonster
04-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Could dips be considered a compound move because of using chest and tri's?

Yes. Dips are using the tris, pecs, delts (especially the anterior head), among other muscles of the torso. They are a great excercise when it comes to benefit for energy spent.

AdamBAG
04-27-2011, 09:06 AM
I haven't been in the shirt in two weeks but will probably be in it for the next 6 weeks, as I still break it in. I think your right and will change up by using the DBs. Why does using the shirt have this effect? Is it because of using that much heavier weights?

They are a little sore after using the shirt but nothing compared to when doing skull crushers. I used to never have problems with my elbows when doing them until about 2 months ago. After the first time I had a lot of pain after doing them, I did alternate exercises for a month and then they hurt like hell for a few days. The other day, after another month of not doing them I tried them again and have the same result. They have always been a favorite of mine but like so many say, I have to find something else to work tris.

Stop doing the skull crushers. Sounds like those really kill you.

For me, the issue with the shirt was that the cuff at the very bottom was too tight and pinching down on a tendon. I cut the cuff off and never had an issue again.

Also, there is no way I could bench in a shirt for 6 weeks straight. I would die. I usually put it on once a month. Two weeks in a row at most.

vdizenzo
04-27-2011, 09:42 AM
What kind of program are you following?

mike95763
04-27-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't know if this is the case for you, but when I was squatting alot my triceps tendons used to get really sore. I thought it was from benching or a bench assistance exercise at first, but then I realized that it only got really bad if I would bench, etc. a few days after my heavy squat session. I fixed the way I was holding the bar when I was squatting and never had the problem again.

shocker4221
04-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Stop doing the skull crushers. Sounds like those really kill you.

For me, the issue with the shirt was that the cuff at the very bottom was too tight and pinching down on a tendon. I cut the cuff off and never had an issue again.

Also, there is no way I could bench in a shirt for 6 weeks straight. I would die. I usually put it on once a month. Two weeks in a row at most.

I wouldn't typically work in the shirt that often either but i'm still trying to learn and break in the shirt.

shocker4221
04-27-2011, 07:31 PM
What kind of program are you following?

I was working the Westside routine but have switced to doing more triples for sets and plan on working bench twice a week. Once doing heavy triples and then again working in the shirt. This is only because I still have to break in the shirt. I haven't worked bench twice a week for a long time and decided to try it since I don't feel beat up after using the shirt.

shocker4221
04-27-2011, 07:43 PM
I don't know if this is the case for you, but when I was squatting alot my triceps tendons used to get really sore. I thought it was from benching or a bench assistance exercise at first, but then I realized that it only got really bad if I would bench, etc. a few days after my heavy squat session. I fixed the way I was holding the bar when I was squatting and never had the problem again.

I typically squat later in the week after doing upper work. I do have issues as well grabbing the bar when I squat, it actually hurts to stretch my shoulders wide enough to grip the bar. I know I need to stretch more for this but I don't know if that's the issue with my elbows.

kingns
04-28-2011, 12:11 AM
I think benching heavy twice a week is one of the worst things to do if your experiencing a lot of elbow pain, and even thoug you arent sore after a shirted bench workout it will take a toll on your CNS after 6 weeks. I have had a lot of elbow pain recently from a combination of extensions and too much band tension, and ice and ibuprofen didnt do a thing, the only thing that actually relieved the pain was backing off on the things that hurt it. So if you can figure out what aggrivates it the most just back off on that.

vdizenzo
04-28-2011, 07:11 AM
I was working the Westside routine but have switced to doing more triples for sets and plan on working bench twice a week. Once doing heavy triples and then again working in the shirt. This is only because I still have to break in the shirt. I haven't worked bench twice a week for a long time and decided to try it since I don't feel beat up after using the shirt.

I'm confused, you were doing westside, but you haven't worked bench twice a week for a long time. Can you explain this to me. I am not trying to be a dick, I want to help.

BloodandThunder
04-28-2011, 09:19 AM
I typically squat later in the week after doing upper work. I do have issues as well grabbing the bar when I squat, it actually hurts to stretch my shoulders wide enough to grip the bar. I know I need to stretch more for this but I don't know if that's the issue with my elbows.

Go with a thumbless grip on the squat, actively pulling the bar into your upper back. This is similar to the form Rippetoe suggests. Most guys I know on higher volume squat routines develop elbow soreness and this is a quick fix besides the other recommendations listed above.

You may also want to use straps to hold the bar in a back squat position akin to what the Cal Strength guys do. Kind of simulates a SS bar grip.

shocker4221
04-28-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm confused, you were doing westside, but you haven't worked bench twice a week for a long time. Can you explain this to me. I am not trying to be a dick, I want to help.

Sorry, guess that was a bit confusing. I meant I haven't worked heavy or ME bench twice in a week. When doing WS, i did the ME and DE work each week. I actually did bench yesterday and stayed away from the sk crushers and though I can feel my elbows, they don't hurt near what they did last week.

vdizenzo
04-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Did your elbows hurt when you did a traditional ME and DE day? Also, were you doing skull crushers during that time.

shocker4221
04-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Did your elbows hurt when you did a traditional ME and DE day? Also, were you doing skull crushers during that time.

Not that I remember. I did do them but not often because I was varying all my lifts each week to get variation. When I did do them, I typically used a curl bar because of the angle which felt better on my wrists. I think it may be from using the regular straight olympic bar for skull crushers because of the different angle of the arms. I may be wrong but after looking back at all my workouts, that's the only thing that stands out.

Travis Bell
04-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Throwing hammer curls in at the end of the workout has worked for some guys in the past.

shocker4221
04-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Throwing hammer curls in at the end of the workout has worked for some guys in the past.

Do you think that's because of pulling the tendons and related muscles in the opposite direction?

J_Byrd
04-29-2011, 08:17 AM
I do some hammers before I bench sometimes. Takes a lot of the aches and pains out of benching.

Travis Bell
04-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Do you think that's because of pulling the tendons and related muscles in the opposite direction?

No it creates blood flow in the elbow area without using the tricep tendon. You're just using your bicep

frankf79
05-02-2011, 01:19 PM
I posted this before:
I had problems with my elbows, painful inside and outside tendons. I used the twisting dumbbell triceps extensions as a rehab exercise ( day after push day or later in the day) for sets of 12 - 20 reps and it really helped. Start real light and get the movement down. Here is a link to see the exercised demo'ed, they call them Pro-Sup extensions.
http://www.inno-sport.net/Strength-E...Extensions.AVI

Also buy your self a serious hand gripper (Like Captains of Crush) and do some low frequent rep work and also rubber bands wrapped around fingers for reps.

Franko

shocker4221
05-02-2011, 08:29 PM
I posted this before:
I had problems with my elbows, painful inside and outside tendons. I used the twisting dumbbell triceps extensions as a rehab exercise ( day after push day or later in the day) for sets of 12 - 20 reps and it really helped. Start real light and get the movement down. Here is a link to see the exercised demo'ed, they call them Pro-Sup extensions.
http://www.inno-sport.net/Strength-E...Extensions.AVI

Also buy your self a serious hand gripper (Like Captains of Crush) and do some low frequent rep work and also rubber bands wrapped around fingers for reps.

Franko

I tried that link and it was no longer available. I will try the hand movements. thanks

frankf79
05-03-2011, 08:20 AM
I tried that link and it was no longer available. I will try the hand movements. thanks
Sorry, try this link: http://www.inno-sport.net/Strength-Endurance/Video/PIM%20ProSup%20Extensions.AVI

jaco1159
05-31-2011, 06:54 PM
Hey,
Glad you asked this question, I actually talked to Louie Simmons on the phone for a few minutes about elbow pain a week ago and the first thing he asked was surprising, " Do you Squat." He asked. The cause of the elbow pain was actually from gripping too close on the squat bar, so now I grip all the way out.

Also, make sure on extra days you are doing lots of push downs with a straight bar ( Louie said his guys do as many as 100 tricep pushdowns on off days), as well as some grip strength work which really hits your elbows when you squeez hard On your main bench days work on increasing weights with your dbell and straight bar tricept extensions, and do hammer curls once in a while.

I also read that speed benching can give you some joint pains, I saw this on a youtube video with Mark Bell. So to give his joints a rest he will bring his speed day benching weight to around 60-70 percent of his 1 rep max (not sure if he meant competition or raw, but this percent of your floor press may be good. And instead of doing 3 sets of 8 you can do 4 sets of 6, 5 sets of 5 or 6 sets of 4 to mix things up from the normal rep scheme.

I hope this helped, and good luck with your elbows! Mine hurt a week ago and they are already feeling better.

shocker4221
06-01-2011, 07:13 PM
I've been doing some grip exercises on top of my normal workouts and the pain is beginning to go away. I've taken the advice of many people on here so i'm not sure if it was any particular thing or a combination of everything. One thing I believe has helped a lot is not doing the skull crushers every week, even though I love to work the triceps. In the future I think I will either mix it up better and maybe even add some elbow sleeves for added support. Thanks everyone for the advice.

gmen5681
06-02-2011, 07:07 AM
You could also try some A.R.T. it seems to be the latest "crave". i have some pretty bad tennis elbow on the top of my arm, i gave ART a shot the other day and it really did feel better. its pretty simple to do by yourself, but it would be easier if you had someone to help you. the idea is to smooth out the scar tissue in the muscle rather than smushing it down. here is a you tube video explaing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApN5ozS1SKY