PDA

View Full Version : Maple peanut butter low fat, high protein soft serve ice cream

Behemoth
04-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Did I get your attention?

Ok, so obviously protein ice cream has been around for quite some time so I'm not claiming to have invented this by any means. In fact, to my knowledge I believe there was a write up on this very site years ago.

This is just one (of many) concoctions I've whipped up lately.

Ingredients
30g Vanilla Nitrean
24g PB2 powdered peanut butter
5g Splenda (remember, splenda has calories/carbs. 1g splenda = 1g carbs and 4kcal)
10g fiber (optional, thickens and makes it very filling)
Small amount maple extract flavoring
1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese (116g)
1 cup cold water
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l123/rypkr_99/IMG_20110426_184701.jpg

Directions
- First add half of the cold water (1/2 cup) so dry ingredients do not stick to blender
- Add Nitrean, PB2, Splenda, and fiber
- Add the rest of the water, the maple extract, and then the half of cup of cottage cheese
- Start slow on the blender so it doesn't fly everywhere. Then run it on the aerate setting on high for a 30 seconds. Scrape down any dry mix that may still be stuck to the side and blend a short while longer.
- Use a rubber spatula to salvage every last gram
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l123/rypkr_99/IMG_20110426_185611.jpg
- Freeze for 15-20 minutes. Remove from freezer and stir up very well. Scrape the frozen off of the side of the bowl and whip it around until it all becomes one consistency again. Freeze for another 5-10 minutes and repeat the process.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l123/rypkr_99/IMG_20110426_192252.jpg
- Consume

Macros of this batch
Calories - 289
Fat - 3g
Carbs - 33g (15g fiber)
Protein - 43g

Notes
- I've tried several different proteins so far including sci-fit blueberry, mocha, cookies and creme, and body fortress chocolate peanut butter. Regardless of my mixes the chalky taste was still evident in the ice cream. Vanilla nitrean has been my most versatile so far but I have used chocolate nitrean to make a chocolate peanut butter and a mint chocolate (the latter wasn't real good, I think I added way too much mint extract but I'm going to give it another shot)

- I've made it with half the amount of PB2 (equivalent of 2 TBSP's instead of 4 TBSP's in this recipe) and it was still very good. This is just better :)

- The fiber is not necessary to the recipe, or at least not necessarily as much as I use. The way I make it pretty much makes it a "sinker" satiety goes.

- Obviously you can use regular peanut butter instead of the powdered if you have the fat allotment in your macros (or just aren't worried about fat intake to begin with!).

- I've tried freezing it much more solid before removing from the freezer but shortly after 20-25 minutes it starts to form icy portions that are very hard to mix back in (and not very tasty or of a texture resembling ice cream).

- This is the only recipe that I use a full cup of water (because of the powdered peanut butter) all other concoctions I use 1/2 cup cold water.

The base recipe so you can get creative with your own is simply
-30g protein
-1/2 cup water
-5g splenda (and even that is pretty optional)
- 1/2 fat free cottage cheese

My favorite is still strawberry which tastes exactly like breyers strawberry. It's the above base + 45g fresh or frozen strawberries. Bam.

nejar462
04-27-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't know if what you made would technically be an ice cream. You have to whip air into it, which is why ice cream makers work well (you mix periodically which I don't think gets enough air in it). Also, without any fats at all I don't see how you prevent ice crystals from forming. It seems more like a protein snow cone. Which isn't bad, just different than what someone might expect based on your description.

I'd drop the cottage cheese and water, use whole milk instead. I'd also use real peanut butter instead of powder. You would need to use an ice cream maker, or you can cheat and use a whipping machine with a bucket of ice and salt.

Behemoth
04-27-2011, 02:07 PM
I don't know if what you made would technically be an ice cream. You have to whip air into it, which is why ice cream makers work well (you mix periodically which I don't think gets enough air in it). Also, without any fats at all I don't see how you prevent ice crystals from forming. It seems more like a protein snow cone. Which isn't bad, just different than what someone might expect based on your description.

I'd drop the cottage cheese and water, use whole milk instead. I'd also use real peanut butter instead of powder. You would need to use an ice cream maker, or you can cheat and use a whipping machine with a bucket of ice and salt.

You could do that. Or you could save yourself some time and just buy regular ice cream and add some protein to it and come up with the same macros...

This is how to make "low fat, high protein PB ice cream". I'm not disagreeing with your recipe, I'm sure it would taste very good. It's just for something entirely different macro wise.

K-R-M
04-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Wow, awesome recipee, I will definitely try this out.

Does the fiber add any taste, or just texture?

Behemoth
04-27-2011, 03:01 PM
No real taste, just thickens it a little bit. You can tell it's there but it doesn't bother me. Try it with and try it without.

nejar462
04-27-2011, 03:07 PM
You could do that. Or you could save yourself some time and just buy regular ice cream and add some protein to it and come up with the same macros...

This is false in a number of ways. In general, store bought ice cream uses a mixture of heavy cream and light cream because of what I said in a previous post. Ice cream, according to the modern definition, (I'm not saying this to sound haughty, what they used to call ice cream in the past is now called frozen custard), is made with this extremely high fat milk to prevent the formation of ice crystals (richer ice cream, think cold stone, usually has less ice crystals). On average, the recipes could use milk that is 20% milkfat or greater, while whole milk would have 3.5% milkfat. I.E. the macros in what I recommend are closer to what your 'ice cream' would be than store bought. Additionally, home made ice cream, made competently will taste fresher than store bought because it is fresher and doesn't contain the same number of preservative, also, since it's not packed aggressively it stays more delicate. I personally believe there is a big difference from what I make to what you'd normally find in a grocery isle. Mixing protein shake into store bought ice causes it to melt and also it lose what little aeration it started with. If you don't believe me, take ice cream, mix it up a lot by hand, and then refreeze it, it won't be the right consistency.

This is how to make "low fat, high protein PB ice cream". I'm not disagreeing with your recipe, I'm sure it would taste very good. It's just for something entirely different macro wise.

If you need to maintain extremely similar macros to your original recipe but improve it you could use skim milk or yogurt instead of the water and cottage cheese. The problem with cottage cheese is it will do nothing to inhibit formation of ice crystals (as far as I know) so its addition doesn't add much beyond the nutrition and its flavor. You'd almost never want to add water to a pure ice cream recipe. What you described is commonly referred to as a snow cone or italian ice, which are delicious, but not an 'ice cream' according to the definition I'm used to. Even with yogurt the way I recommend, it will be a frozen yogurt, not an ice cream, and a skim milk would be more of what used to be called an ice milk, which is now called low fat ice cream.

Another way to make ice cream better is to improve the freezing process during mixing. The faster the freeze the better. Liquid N2 or a salt ice cube mixture will help with this. This also reduces ice crystals and makes for a creamer food. I'm not knocking the recipe I think it looks good and interesting enough to try, but unless I'm missing something important you're not really making an ice cream.

Behemoth
04-27-2011, 03:42 PM
This is false in a number of ways. In general, store bought ice cream uses a mixture of heavy cream and light cream because of what I said in a previous post. Ice cream, according to the modern definition, (I'm not saying this to sound haughty, what they used to call ice cream in the past is now called frozen custard), is made with this extremely high fat milk to prevent the formation of ice crystals (richer ice cream, think cold stone, usually has less ice crystals). On average, the recipes could use milk that is 20% milkfat or greater, while whole milk would have 3.5% milkfat. I.E. the macros in what I recommend are closer to what your 'ice cream' would be than store bought. Additionally, home made ice cream, made competently will taste fresher than store bought because it is fresher and doesn't contain the same number of preservative, also, since it's not packed aggressively it stays more delicate. I personally believe there is a big difference from what I make to what you'd normally find in a grocery isle. Mixing protein shake into store bought ice causes it to melt and also it lose what little aeration it started with. If you don't believe me, take ice cream, mix it up a lot by hand, and then refreeze it, it won't be the right consistency.

If you need to maintain extremely similar macros to your original recipe but improve it you could use skim milk or yogurt instead of the water and cottage cheese. The problem with cottage cheese is it will do nothing to inhibit formation of ice crystals (as far as I know) so its addition doesn't add much beyond the nutrition and its flavor. You'd almost never want to add water to a pure ice cream recipe. What you described is commonly referred to as a snow cone or italian ice, which are delicious, but not an 'ice cream' according to the definition I'm used to. Even with yogurt the way I recommend, it will be a frozen yogurt, not an ice cream, and a skim milk would be more of what used to be called an ice milk, which is now called low fat ice cream.

Another way to make ice cream better is to improve the freezing process during mixing. The faster the freeze the better. Liquid N2 or a salt ice cube mixture will help with this. This also reduces ice crystals and makes for a creamer food. I'm not knocking the recipe I think it looks good and interesting enough to try, but unless I'm missing something important you're not really making an ice cream.

Nejar, with all due respect why don't you start a thread about how to make genuine ice cream (with or without added protein). That is not what this thread is about (genuine ice cream). I apologize that you have such a problem with me calling my concoction "ice cream" but you've only served to scrutinize my recipe as something it was never intended to be all the while neglecting to factor in the crucial element of this being a bodybuilding website where nutrition/macros are more important than genuine "ice cream" taste/consistency.

You don't have to make my recipe, so if you don't like it please disregard it and simply make your own thread instead of sidetracking and degrading mine. It's here for others to try out, experiment with, and hopefully enjoy on a diet or nutritional plan not elaborate on why it's not of le corden bleu standards.

storm235
04-27-2011, 07:16 PM
sounds great...try it with syntha 6 protein by bsn(cookies n cream) best protein ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"pain is just weakness leaving the body"

Alex.V
04-28-2011, 08:43 AM
I disagree with both of you about everything.

That said, I may have to try this.

razorcut
04-28-2011, 10:44 AM
It's here for others to try out, experiment with, and hopefully enjoy on a diet or nutritional plan not elaborate on why it's not of le corden bleu standards.
While I rarely stray from my own le corden bleu standards, I'm trying this as well.

bobbydeniro
04-28-2011, 01:16 PM
I made this today with the addition of some low-sugar strawberry jam. It was pretty heavenly.

Invain
04-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Rory I'm deeply offended that you would call this concoction "ice cream".

Mercuryblade
04-28-2011, 01:20 PM
I opened this thread expecting ice cream.
This is NOT the scientifically accepted definition ice cream. In a fit of rage I broke up with my girlfriend, started meth, and quit my job.

Thanks for the false expectations, jerk.

Behemoth
04-28-2011, 02:29 PM
lol.

nejar462
04-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Nejar, with all due respect why don't you start a thread about how to make genuine ice cream (with or without added protein). That is not what this thread is about (genuine ice cream). I apologize that you have such a problem with me calling my concoction "ice cream" but you've only served to scrutinize my recipe as something it was never intended to be all the while neglecting to factor in the crucial element of this being a bodybuilding website where nutrition/macros are more important than genuine "ice cream" taste/consistency.

You don't have to make my recipe, so if you don't like it please disregard it and simply make your own thread instead of sidetracking and degrading mine. It's here for others to try out, experiment with, and hopefully enjoy on a diet or nutritional plan not elaborate on why it's not of le corden bleu standards.

I apologize if I offended you. I merely tried to offer possible variations to your recipe or clear up confusion as to what the recipe would actually make. Also I tried to explain the scientific reasoning behind ice cream, making it is actually a common experiment so high school students can study colloids. I wasn't trying to 'degrade' the thread.

Also rereading the thread is actually pretty comical. I think I will take the Le Corden Bleu comment as a compliment.

mike mcgee
04-29-2011, 05:39 AM
PB2 rocks

ThomasG
05-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Rory I'm deeply offended that you would call this concoction "ice cream".

This.

Time+Patience
05-04-2011, 08:48 AM
neglecting to factor in the crucial element of this being a bodybuilding website where nutrition/macros are more important .... It's here for others to try out, experiment with, and hopefully enjoy on a diet or nutritional plan

This right here. I didn't care about what you were putting into the recipe as I skipped through and found the macro's and then said to myself "oh shit, that's a lot of protein and no fat."

If someone can create a meal that tastes good yet has solid macro's then it's worth posting and trying out.

I do believe that the type of protein used makes a difference. Have no Nitrean or basic flavors.

I have a java mocha flavored protein powder, may have to get creative with that one. Maybe mixing some actual coffee into it?

Shaun Mirjavadi
05-05-2011, 04:56 AM
Looks good Behemoth, Im def gonna try it out. Strange how when you try to share something cool and tasty that you do to break up the monotony of a healthy diet, a small argument erupts about the science behind "ice cream" of all things. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to share this one. This is a great night time snack, perfect protein combo for night time, and helps with the sweet tooth. Cottage cheese macros are way better than whole milk, btw.

I know some people use sugar free pudding powders for the flavoring as well, supposed to work real well. Ill have to grab a box and see what the nutrition info is. Behemoth, what do you think of the Power PB? 1 serving is 4 tbsp (so you get to eat more :)) and it has 24g protein and out of the 19g fat, I think something like 15g is omega 3 & 6. Out of 8g carbs, 6 is fiber! Pretty yummy. I like to follow a lower carb, higher pro and fat diet, so I regularly chow on a couple of scoops a day. I just bought a 4 lb tub for 12 bucks!!!

You've inspired me to experiment more with my protein ice cream! lol. Wow, I sound like a huge nerd. I have a life... I swear I do!

Behemoth
05-05-2011, 09:28 AM
This right here. I didn't care about what you were putting into the recipe as I skipped through and found the macro's and then said to myself "oh shit, that's a lot of protein and no fat."

If someone can create a meal that tastes good yet has solid macro's then it's worth posting and trying out.

I do believe that the type of protein used makes a difference. Have no Nitrean or basic flavors.

I have a java mocha flavored protein powder, may have to get creative with that one. Maybe mixing some actual coffee into it?

I tried a mocha one with sci-fit mocha protein but wasn't very fond of it. I did plan on trying again with both it + coffee and vanilla nitrean + coffee. Let me know how your mixes turn out. My last mix was chocolate cherry (chocolate protein with frozen cherries thawed and chopped up) not bad but not my favorite. I want to try a cheescake-esque one and was going to try FF cream cheese I use on my bagels + extra splenda but seeing Shauns suggesting of SF FF pudding below that might be a better route.

Looks good Behemoth, Im def gonna try it out. Strange how when you try to share something cool and tasty that you do to break up the monotony of a healthy diet, a small argument erupts about the science behind "ice cream" of all things. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to share this one. This is a great night time snack, perfect protein combo for night time, and helps with the sweet tooth. Cottage cheese macros are way better than whole milk, btw.

I know some people use sugar free pudding powders for the flavoring as well, supposed to work real well. Ill have to grab a box and see what the nutrition info is. Behemoth, what do you think of the Power PB? 1 serving is 4 tbsp (so you get to eat more :)) and it has 24g protein and out of the 19g fat, I think something like 15g is omega 3 & 6. Out of 8g carbs, 6 is fiber! Pretty yummy. I like to follow a lower carb, higher pro and fat diet, so I regularly chow on a couple of scoops a day. I just bought a 4 lb tub for 12 bucks!!!

You've inspired me to experiment more with my protein ice cream! lol. Wow, I sound like a huge nerd. I have a life... I swear I do!

Taking the sweet tooth edge off is very important for a sugar lover like myself. Ive never heard of that protein but it sounds pretty quality. I like PB2 but most of the time I eat fairly low fat, so it just works out well for me. Let us know of any winning combination's you come up with Shaun!

Time+Patience
05-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Is this PB2 peanut butter worth looking into? I have seen more than enough guys speak about having used it before.

Is it pretty cost effective? How does it store, fridge, a cool cupboard?

I love peanut butter so is this good enough to accommodate my lust for peanut butter but give me some better macro's? I must know because I can't have peanut butter in my house as I would destroy it. I had to eat the last bit of it last night just to get it out of my house, lol!

Mark!
05-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Is this PB2 peanut butter worth looking into? I have seen more than enough guys speak about having used it before.

I love peanut butter so is this good enough to accommodate my lust for peanut butter but give me some better macro's? I must know because I can't have peanut butter in my house as I would destroy it. I had to eat the last bit of it last night just to get it out of my house, lol!

I'm the same way with PB. I found PB and Honey already mixed, holy hell I was a happy fat kid that day...but doesn't fit too well with the diet plan, heh. Gonna have to find out where to get some around here, that's for sure. Solid recipe Rory, good stuff my man.

Focused70
05-06-2011, 06:55 PM

It's not.

Ice cream is technically frozen custard (egg yolks, milk or heavy cream, sugar, flavoring). Okay, okay, there's a lesser-known variety, otherwise known as Philadelphia-style ice cream; this version doesn't contain any egg yolks and seems to be coming back into vogue.

But 90% of dieting is psychological so if it helps someone with a sweet craving, then who gives a fuck if it's fake ice cream. :)

I'd eat it ... but then again, I'll eat almost anything.

Behemoth
05-07-2011, 11:35 AM

I think it's very good. It's obviously not as good as real PB but it's still very good. I've never done the math on how it stacks up cost wise ounce for ounce against real natty pb but I don't think it's unreasonable at all. bellplantation.com is where you can get it from (or search for local retailers). You just store it in your cupboard, it says on the package to only mix what you're going to use so I've never tried mixing a jar worth and throwing it in the fridge, it only takes a few seconds to mix up anyhow.