PDA

View Full Version : Hip Work

KoSh
04-27-2011, 10:21 AM
I've come to the conclusion that my hips are one of my glaring weak points.

I'm using the Juggernaut Method currently and I'm having a ton of success in all lifts, including squats.

Here are my current numbers:

5'8" 197 pounds (as of this morning, on an empty stomach... Probably more around 201 or 202.)
Bench: 270x8
Dead: 405x7
Military Press: 160x7
Squat: 360x5

My squat is painfully pathetic in comparison with my deadlift. I'd also say my shoulders are weak, but that's a different thread.

I'm wondering what some good weakness builders for the hips are?

I'm thinking about pulling sumo after my conventional deadlift Juggernaut sets for a bit.

Any other ideas?

SEOINAGE
04-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Your lifts are looking pretty good for your height and weight. Even your squat in relation to the others is maybe at most 20 lbs under what it should be. Give it some time it will catch up. Doing speed squats and westside style training my squat shot up a lot. Did a lot of good mornings as assistance work during that time too.

ScottYard
04-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Wide stance low paused squats for high reps. Force your knees out the entire time.

KoSh
04-28-2011, 06:26 AM
Scott,

how about pin squats? Starting in the bottom of the squat? That would activate the hip, too, correct?

SEOINAGE,

Thanks for the props. My hamstrings and back are pretty strong (though if you ask me, still not strong enough) and I do GMs and Natural GHR along with Zercher sits... my hips seem to be a limiting factor, still.

IronDiggy
04-28-2011, 07:11 AM
I've been doing hip thrusts/glute bridges to bring up my glute strength.

ScottYard
04-28-2011, 07:20 AM
Scott,

how about pin squats? Starting in the bottom of the squat? That would activate the hip, too, correct?

SEOINAGE,

Thanks for the props. My hamstrings and back are pretty strong (though if you ask me, still not strong enough) and I do GMs and Natural GHR along with Zercher sits... my hips seem to be a limiting factor, still.

For hip work you have to be more deliberate. Pin Squats is mostly a ego lift. Not a lift to taregt a weakness.

BloodandThunder
04-28-2011, 07:48 AM
Working on your hip mobility will due wonders too. Hip band abductions and adductions. And static stretching of the hip flexors.
Also important to tie in the glutes with things like seated and standing GMs and pull throughs.
Wide stiff legged DLs and RDLs will also help as well as wide low box squats.

theBarzeen
04-28-2011, 02:56 PM
I like kettlebell tosses and swings to build hips. Those, some pull throughs, sumo deadlifting.... and the adductor and abductor machines for some stability.

ThomasG
04-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Sled drags backward forward and laterally.

NickAus
04-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Ultra wide sumos for reps, if they smash your hips too much do them off 2" blocks.

These helped me very quickly!

KoSh
05-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Did Ultra Wide Sumos on Friday. Went light... 225 for 3x8... Tore the hips up. Liked 'em a lot. Going to try pause squats on squat day.

Hey dear.Your lift is really good and i like it.I want to learn more techniques about lifting and want to know the benefits of each lift.Kindly share with me some great information and discuss your methods with me in detail.Reply soon.

Did you just call me dear, Mr. Trollbot?

PaulM
05-03-2011, 05:40 PM
I love wide sumo's for hip work also super wide squats...obviously same concept. Also I find that wrapping a band around my legs right under my knees (doubled overed mini band works well) and then concentrating on keeping the knees out through the squat... not hard enough, do these with a super wide stance....still want more of a challenge (at this point you may no longer be sane) add a pause at the bottom. I pull with my toes at the plates and these still kill my hips!

NickAus
05-03-2011, 09:48 PM
My ultra wides is 2" each side past where plates normally are.

Pretty cool movement IMO

Sensei
05-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Ultra-wide arched back good mornings and ultra-wide stance Manta-Ray squats are also divine. Really have to ease into them though.

muscle_g
05-04-2011, 08:02 PM
I like doing the In & Out thigh machine to build up the adducters and abducters. Also Dimmel DL's and DB or KB swings.

NickAus
05-04-2011, 08:45 PM
I tend to feel kettle bell swings in the glutes mostly....they are good though!

HMB_Blimpie
05-05-2011, 06:48 AM
I like doing an excerise called pull throughs! I dont know how to explain it so here is a good link! But I like using a tricep rope instead of this video of a V-handle.

http://youtu.be/gw-1kMHjTlI