PDA

View Full Version : Calculated Max

hug dog
04-27-2011, 01:54 PM
I have only been back into the swing of things for a few months now after a year + lay off. But I maxed out my bench at 350 (somehow) which according to most calculators I should be able to do 305 5 times. I am starting a new 5x5 and the first workout I had to do 290 x 5 and I just barely got it up. I am wondering is this normal? Are there lots of people who have a big difference in the ammount they can do 5 times compared to the ammount they can do once?

If not is there something I should be doing different? I do like the 5x5 workout because it helps so much with dead and squats but should I adjust it for Bench? I hope this makes since. Thanks for your help.

4g64fiero
04-27-2011, 02:00 PM
I have only been back into the swing of things for a few months now after a year + lay off. But I maxed out my bench at 350 (somehow) which according to most calculators I should be able to do 305 5 times. I am starting a new 5x5 and the first workout I had to do 290 x 5 and I just barely got it up. I am wondering is this normal? Are there lots of people who have a big difference in the ammount they can do 5 times compared to the ammount they can do once?

If not is there something I should be doing different? I do like the 5x5 workout because it helps so much with dead and squats but should I adjust it for Bench? I hope this makes since. Thanks for your help.
Calculators assume you are equally developed in all processes involving the muscles. As you have just experienced, you can be strong enough to bench a weight, but not conditioned enough to do the volume work typically associated with that max(if there is such a thing).

I have friends that can do more volume than me but are still weaker, yet I know some vice versa. Everyone is different. For example, I could 5x5 290 before I could bench 350 in contrast to you, who can bench 350 without being able to do more than one set. If you stick with 5x5 you will acclimate to it.

Your best bet is stop worrying about it.

BloodandThunder
04-27-2011, 02:10 PM
To run the Madcow's 5x5 or similar program, you need to know accurate 5RMs, not guestimates of them from a 1RM.

Some trainees can hit 8 reps with 80% of their 1RM. Some can hit 3 reps. Too many factors and calculators are too shaky.

4g64fiero
04-27-2011, 02:22 PM
To run the Madcow's 5x5 or similar program, you need to know accurate 5RMs, not guestimates of them from a 1RM.

Some trainees can hit 8 reps with 80% of their 1RM. Some can hit 3 reps. Too many factors and calculators are too shaky.

I am assuming this is more of a texas method 5x5 than madcow 5x5 since his first set is 290.

hug dog
04-27-2011, 02:42 PM

Wow I forgot all about that. I needed to do best 5 rep not 1 rep max. I need to read over the workout again it has been a while. Thanks for you help.

hug dog
04-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Calculators assume you are equally developed in all processes involving the muscles. As you have just experienced, you can be strong enough to bench a weight, but not conditioned enough to do the volume work typically associated with that max(if there is such a thing).

I have friends that can do more volume than me but are still weaker, yet I know some vice versa. Everyone is different. For example, I could 5x5 290 before I could bench 350 in contrast to you, who can bench 350 without being able to do more than one set. If you stick with 5x5 you will acclimate to it.

Your best bet is stop worrying about it.

Stop worring about it. Well that is certainly good advice. My workout partner can do 5 reps of 305 but he can't put up 350 so I understand what you are saying. Seems like it is more of a conditioning thing. Seems like sticking to my workout should fix that.

theBarzeen
04-28-2011, 02:59 PM
The calculators are full of poo...

I have a lifter on my team who has pulled 605 for 5 reps, but couldn't budge 635.

If you can lift 300 five times it does not mean that you can lift 350, 320, or even 301. It means that you can do 300 five times and that is it.

as others stated, if your routine requires a 5 rep max, then work up the weight in sets of 5 reps and see where you miss the 5th rep.

hug dog
04-28-2011, 03:12 PM
The calculators are full of poo...

I have a lifter on my team who has pulled 605 for 5 reps, but couldn't budge 635.

If you can lift 300 five times it does not mean that you can lift 350, 320, or even 301. It means that you can do 300 five times and that is it.

as others stated, if your routine requires a 5 rep max, then work up the weight in sets of 5 reps and see where you miss the 5th rep.

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I was adnormal or something. I guess the best way to discover my 5 rep max is by doing this madcow 5 x5 and where ever i get stuck I can start over again at that spot.

shocker4221
04-28-2011, 07:14 PM
As everyone else has mentioned, don't worry about the calculators for max. I used to go nuts wondering why I could lift "x" amount so many times but couldn't achieve a max that a calculator suggested I could do. They are just for a reference and too many people think they are a science. The only true science in the gym is what you can push.