PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal...

headache
04-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Hey guys i just have a bone to pick mainly with myself, i max out at 425 on DL and usually stick to 405 for a few sets and it comes up smoothly. Today i could only get it about 4 inches off the ground, granted i squated right before this but ive done that combo before and have gotten it up anyone else have off days like this? cuz i feel like a bitch haha

theBarzeen
04-29-2011, 01:06 PM
you could be burned out if you've been pushing heavy every week. You could be under-fed or didn't get enough sleep..... it happens. Change your training up, get better sleep, eat more ( quality food, not junk) and come back to smash your old PR......

headache
04-29-2011, 01:08 PM
It was so frustrating also didnt have chalk today so im hoping between that and squatting right before pulling is the cause of this and next time will be better

jtteg_x
04-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Possibility just having a bad day? I've had those days before and its a sign to take a break from lifting ;)

headache
04-29-2011, 01:23 PM
ugh thats what i hate hearing lol i appreciate everyones feedback i know we've all been there and it sucks bad

mastermonster
04-29-2011, 02:00 PM
It could be any of the above listed things. Just make sure your food, rest, etc. is normal til the next DL day and see if everything is back to normal. If you have 2 bad ones on back to back weeks then you might need to de-load. If your next one is good just keep on schedule and figure you just had a bad day. Good luck!

Dan Fanelli
04-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Hey guys i just have a bone to pick mainly with myself, i max out at 425 on DL and usually stick to 405 for a few sets and it comes up smoothly. Today i could only get it about 4 inches off the ground, granted i squated right before this but ive done that combo before and have gotten it up anyone else have off days like this? cuz i feel like a bitch haha

This could be your problem. You need to figure out a way to get to where you are doing a few sets with 425, and then from there, with 445. If you do the same thing over and over, you'll stop adapting.

As for why you had trouble this, what everyone else said.

Brian Hopper
04-29-2011, 04:27 PM
It could be just an off day or your burned out, but I wouldn't worry about it. Just try doing something different with your training and see if you get things moving again. Maybe even think about taking a week off and rest up.

Sensei
04-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Hitting 90+% every session is just not going to happen unless you are a newb and/or your 1RM is nowhere near where it should be.

Hobo Beard
04-29-2011, 09:00 PM

Stop being a lil' bitch and pull it next week.

chris mason
04-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Guys, he said he has never squatted before pulling. He is probably a back squatter and his back was thus pooped from squatting. No big mystery. You should not gauge what you are going to pull right after squatting by what you can pull fresh.

You really need to get on a proper training program. Check out Westside.

headache
04-30-2011, 12:24 AM
I was basically thinking wat hobo beard said haha i appreciate everyones input im still pretty new to this so i deffinetly wont be pulling ME after squatting anymore. Im really hoping its just a combo of everything and ill be fresh next DL day.

byronsru24
04-30-2011, 01:38 AM
Im really hoping its just a combo of everything and ill be fresh next DL day.

You are really over thinking this. Its one training session, no more, no less. The sooner you get over it and move on, the better you'll be in the long run. Strength is a marathon, not a sprint.

Hobo Beard
04-30-2011, 01:25 PM
I was basically thinking wat hobo beard said haha i appreciate everyones input im still pretty new to this so i deffinetly wont be pulling ME after squatting anymore. Im really hoping its just a combo of everything and ill be fresh next DL day.

This is good. While you don't want to go overboard and hurt yourself, always pushing will lead to great strength gains.

I do agree with what everyone else said--I just felt it necessary to have a hyper-masculine moment. Haha.

Never forget complacency breeds weakness.

Also, at least you weren't stupid enough to hurt yourself like I did 2 Mondays ago.

You are new and making mistakes are part of the game.

Now, I've been lifting for 12+ years and decided to try to pull a 505 raw, sumo deadlift max after squatting 405x5--having not trained legs for 2 months or used a straight bar for at least 2 years--and pulled my left hamstring.

So, don't feel too bad because those of us with years of experience still do stupid shit. ;)

Strength is a marathon, not a sprint.

Excellent point.

headache
05-02-2011, 01:38 PM
been busy last couple days sorry guys, but yea it must have been a bad day cuz the very next day i benched for a new max of 315!

Bosshogg300
05-02-2011, 01:48 PM
congrats on the new pr and it was prob like you said a bad day it happens

Brian Hopper
05-02-2011, 07:32 PM
been busy last couple days sorry guys, but yea it must have been a bad day cuz the very next day i benched for a new max of 315!

Good job!!!