PDA

View Full Version : any strongman competitors

Bosshogg300
05-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Any one who is a strongman competitor or trains strongman, what type of routine do you do, like how your template is set up such as how many days trained, rep scheme, and sets, if anyone has any advice id be thankful

Tom Mutaffis
05-02-2011, 07:19 AM
Any one who is a strongman competitor or trains strongman, what type of routine do you do, like how your template is set up such as how many days trained, rep scheme, and sets, if anyone has any advice id be thankful

There are a lot of different ways to train for strongman and quite a few variables that will determine which program would be best for you.

Here is an article on putting together an effective training routine, and there are some example templates:

http://mutaffis.wordpress.com/articles/

If you are looking for something that is specific to your background, objectives, and training schedule then I do write custom programs and could put something together for you this week.

Bosshogg300
05-02-2011, 08:29 AM
ok, id like to go with the custom program because i dont feel i have enough expericence in the matter to put together a strongman split without overtraining

barryisawinnah
05-02-2011, 08:46 AM
I use 5/3/1 with the 4 day a week routine and events on saturdays. Might seem like a little much, but right now I have a completely open schedule, so recovery isn't reall an issue. On events day we usually only do 3 events too, so it's not like 5 or 6. Been working well, but im a strongman newb, so we shall see. If need be, I will go to 3 days a week plus 1 event day.

I do Deads on Mon, Overhead on Tues, Squats on Thursday, and Bench on Friday.

My log is in my link.

edit: If I had more of the actual implements, I would change my training a bit. Such as use the log or the axle as my 5/3/1 lift, etc. All I personally have right now is a sled, chain yoke and farmers handles though.

Bosshogg300
05-02-2011, 09:27 AM
thanks for the information, i like the way yours is set up, but i was considering running mine like the maximum hyptrophy for strongman, but just wasnt sure on sets and reps and how i should alternate my accesory work

Bosshogg300
05-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Also you said you had a chain, is it like the anchor chain?, and if so where did you get it

barryisawinnah
05-02-2011, 10:11 AM
I just have a chain yoke, its like a ghetto yoke. Just a bar with chains and weight hung off of it. The crew I train with on Saturdays does have a huge anchor chain for dragging, but it doesnt get used much, lol. I will ask them where they got it.

barryisawinnah
05-02-2011, 10:13 AM
This isnt my chain yoke, but you get the idea

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTgT5UpRJwXdjCxo6G-vta6zx9NOlP0sg75TBoKcpJoc_OF_tx9w&t=1

Tom Mutaffis
05-02-2011, 12:47 PM
ok, id like to go with the custom program because i dont feel i have enough expericence in the matter to put together a strongman split without overtraining

thanks for the information, i like the way yours is set up, but i was considering running mine like the maximum hyptrophy for strongman, but just wasnt sure on sets and reps and how i should alternate my accesory work

Please send me an email with your contact information and we can talk from there, if it is something that you are interested in then I would provide detailed information on sets/reps/weights. I can also help you with your diet and nutritional supplements if that is an area that you are looking to critique.

My email address is tmutaffis@yahoo.com

Bosshogg300
05-02-2011, 01:35 PM
ok ill email you

Bosshogg300
05-03-2011, 02:56 PM
I just have a chain yoke, its like a ghetto yoke. Just a bar with chains and weight hung off of it. The crew I train with on Saturdays does have a huge anchor chain for dragging, but it doesnt get used much, lol. I will ask them where they got it.

Yea if you could do that id be thankful because the only place i can anchor chain is in california and i live in new york lol so that wont work for me

barryisawinnah
05-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Yea if you could do that id be thankful because the only place i can anchor chain is in california and i live in new york lol so that wont work for me

yeah ill ask them on Saturday (maybe before if I run into somebody online) and will pm you