PDA

View Full Version : SHIRTS AND SUITS

Ajkula
05-02-2011, 07:51 PM
i have a few questions concerning bench shirts, squat suits and deadlift suits. i want to know if i only care about my raw lift is there any reason to get any of these? would training with these using more weight be an advantage and more importantly is it safer as far as injuries go?

Travis Bell
05-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Not really.

Only thing I've seen some guys do is wear a large pair of briefs occasionally to save the hips but that's about it.

drew
05-03-2011, 06:28 AM
What Travis said. Anyone who tells you they wear the gear because it's safer is either uninformed or lying. We wear gear so we can lift more.

IronDiggy
05-03-2011, 07:09 AM
What Travis said. Anyone who tells you they wear the gear because it's safer is either uninformed or lying. We wear gear so we can lift more.

I wear it because it's more volatile and thusly makes me feel more hardcore! haha.

AdamBAG
05-03-2011, 07:58 AM
No, if you compete raw and that is your only goal then there is no need for supportive gear. If you are trying to prevent injury then you are better off with wraps (wrist or knee), belt, knee sleeves etc.

Lifting gear, especially bench shirts, can be dangerous. If I competed only raw I would never bench in a shirt.

kingns
05-03-2011, 11:23 AM
I guess if i was a bodybuilder or an athlete i could still see a place for a belt, knee (light) and wrist wraps and knee and elbow sleeves. But there is no reason for a shirt, suit or briefs

mike95763
05-03-2011, 02:52 PM
I am certain that benching in gear has made my raw bench go way up. I don't know that gear is necessarily safer, but it does take the stress off some areas. Then again, since I started benching seriously in gear some part of my elbow/forearm/hand/etc. has hurt pretty much non stop. Even if I was to never lift in a shirt in competition, I still think I would train in something like a single ply katana as an ME movement. I would also keep using my slingshot for ME and assistance.

jtteg_x
05-04-2011, 01:21 AM
what everyone else said. I would think some reverse band work would be a great overload on the ME movement once in a while.

HMB_Blimpie
05-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Here are my answers!
i want to know if i only care about my raw lift is there any reason to get any of these?
-If I were going to use anything with my raw lifting I would get knee wraps or knee sleves for the squat and for the bench I would get wrist wraps and a new thing called the sling shot and for the deadlift I would get knee sleves for the DL too. All using a good belt of course.

would training with these using more weight be an advantage and more importantly is it safer as far as injuries go?
These items would deff save your knees and shoulders for injuries and such. I wouldnt use gear if your training 100% raw. Gear would give u a false sense of strength and when you go back to 100% raw then some areas that the gear helps you with will get weaker and that might lead to inguries.

drew
05-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Here are my answers!
i want to know if i only care about my raw lift is there any reason to get any of these?
-If I were going to use anything with my raw lifting I would get knee wraps or knee sleves for the squat and for the bench I would get wrist wraps and a new thing called the sling shot and for the deadlift I would get knee sleves for the DL too. All using a good belt of course.

would training with these using more weight be an advantage and more importantly is it safer as far as injuries go?
These items would deff save your knees and shoulders for injuries and such. I wouldnt use gear if your training 100% raw. Gear would give u a false sense of strength and when you go back to 100% raw then some areas that the gear helps you with will get weaker and that might lead to inguries.

You've clearly never trained in gear.

HMB_Blimpie
05-05-2011, 08:55 AM
@drew mmmm i have trained in gear my whole life and I am sponsered by titan thank you very much!

Travis Bell
05-05-2011, 09:00 AM
@drew mmmm i have trained in gear my whole life and I am sponsered by titan thank you very much!

You may have done it differently than some of us

When I was training for a raw meet in December last year I wore my bench shirt during the training cycle every three weeks with the rest of my team to stay on top of my equipped training.

I hit a 550lb raw bench at the meet for a 50lb PR

Should everyone do this? No. Especially if you don't compete in gear. But to say that gear will make you weak is false

HMB_Blimpie
05-05-2011, 09:08 AM

When I was training for a raw meet in December last year I wore my bench shirt during the training cycle every three weeks with the rest of my team to stay on top of my equipped training.

Should everyone do this? No. Especially if you don't compete in gear. But to say that gear will make you weak is false

Travis-I guess i was just talking about what happened with me when I hit my highest bench and was training hard in my gear my raw bench went weigh down. I dont know why but it did. I guess i was just saying how my own exprience went. My raw bench droped down almost 60 pounds.

mastermonster
05-05-2011, 02:02 PM

Agreed here!

Before I started training heavily (almost each session) in gear I was squatting around 500 and benching about 345-350 with a pause at about 46 Y.O. After several years in the gear I have best meet raw lifts of 650 squat and 402 bench, both at age 53. My DL hasn't went up a lot. Handling the overloads over time raised my squat and bench tremendously. And as an added note I only came out of the gear for the last week's sessions before the meet to see where I was safe to open. I think any raw lifter would get better training in gear regularly if you commit to it. But if you're going to commit to it, you might as well do some meets both ways. Over the last 4 years I've competed Raw, Multi, and Single Ply. I love em' all. And the Multi-Ply training made me better at all 3. That's my experience if it helps with your question. Good luck.

ajweins
05-05-2011, 06:24 PM
I am a raw guy and have thought about getting a slingshot. Smart? Or would reverse bands be essentially just as good if I wanted some supramax training.

drew
05-06-2011, 06:12 AM

My mistake. I've only experienced increased strength from the gear. While my raw strength tends to increase faster when I am out of the gear for a while, I haven't ever gotten weaker. I could probably see it happening if your technique or mental approach is significantly different in the gear than raw or if you are never doing any kind of raw work at all.