PDA

View Full Version : Box Jumps

Tom Mutaffis
05-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Who here does them (either for testing or as a part of their training)?

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j198/tmutaffis/CrossfitStrengthBoxJump.jpg

52.6" Jump @ CrossFit Strength in Charlotte, NC

ct67_72
05-03-2011, 07:24 PM
I do them as part of training. I really like them. havent tested height in a long time but I think they are great.
on a side note on something similar though, my wife and I were playing some basketball with her little sister. My wife is 5'11" 135lbs and used to be a basketball player. She couldnt touch net, and at 5'9" 235 lbs, i can almost touch rim lol.

Brian Hopper
05-03-2011, 08:32 PM
I have done them a few times, but I never tested my height. I pretty much worked up from a 30" box to a 36" for reps and sometimes weighted. But now that im having my ACL repaired, I might stay away from them, lol.

Mark!
05-03-2011, 11:56 PM
I usually just do jumps up to a tractor tire, but haven't done any testing for height. Some day perhaps, someday.

PaulM
05-04-2011, 03:20 AM
love box jumps. They are a real good indicator of hip mobility as well... high vj and a crappy box jump is a dead give away of a need in the mobility area

StLRPh
05-04-2011, 07:36 AM
I haven't done them in a very long time but plan on incorporating them in as soon as my lazy ass builds a plyobox or two.

Off Road
05-04-2011, 08:27 AM
52.6" jump...Impressive Tom!
That's almost body length for you isn't it :)

vdizenzo
05-04-2011, 08:54 AM
I am a big fan of the box :thumbup:

Tom Mutaffis
05-04-2011, 08:58 AM
I usually just do jumps up to a tractor tire, but haven't done any testing for height. Some day perhaps, someday.

Doing jumps to a lower box for reps or a set period of time is a great conditioning workout.

love box jumps. They are a real good indicator of hip mobility as well... high vj and a crappy box jump is a dead give away of a need in the mobility area

That is a good point about the hip mobility.

I haven't done them in a very long time but plan on incorporating them in as soon as my lazy ass builds a plyobox or two.

You could always do jumps onto tires, ledges, stairs, etc.

52.6" jump...Impressive Tom!
That's almost body length for you isn't it :)

I am about 67.5" tall and my best jump is around 55", still have another foot to go :)

I am a big fan of the box :thumbup:

I actually did them right after some power snatches, figured you might like that movement as well.

ScottYard
05-04-2011, 09:31 AM
I like to add them in to our tabata rounds.

barryisawinnah
05-04-2011, 10:25 AM
That is sick Tom

I used to do them a lot. Moved and the new gym doesn't have boxes. So have been doing kneeling jumps, broad jumps, verts, etc.

My best from a standstill was 48" I think(About 7 months ago when I was like 195, don't think I could hit that at my present 217). Did them seated a bunch too, like basically a box squat into a jump. I had no way of going higher than 48". Not that I could of gotten higher, at least not from a standstill.

When do you usually program them into your workouts?

Tom Mutaffis
05-04-2011, 11:06 AM
When do you usually program them into your workouts?

I don't really have any programming for any of my workouts, and the box jumps are just something that I do occasionally to add in some dynamic work and to test explosiveness/mobility. I do a mix of seated, standing, and walking box jumps as well as distance jumps (basically a broad jump onto a box).

ThomasG
05-04-2011, 11:52 AM
I do box squat and box jump on DE lower after squatting and deadlifting when I'm not lazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldyww5F8MUQ

Falcon63
05-04-2011, 02:26 PM
I have done them a few times, but I never tested my height. I pretty much worked up from a 30" box to a 36" for reps and sometimes weighted. But now that im having my ACL repaired, I might stay away from them, lol.

Torn?

SEOINAGE
05-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Been a while since I have done them, at 230 lbs I did a 36" box with 55 lb dumbells. Would like to build some boxes one of these days, and work on some height, I have noticed though depending on what type of routine I am doing will dramatically effect my ability to box jump.

Bosshogg300
05-04-2011, 05:16 PM
i use to do them all the time in my training i want to start doing them alot again though

joey54
05-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Tom, you box jump in oly lifting shoes?

Tom Mutaffis
05-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Tom, you box jump in oly lifting shoes?

Those were the only shoes that I had with me that day but they are not bad for jumping, I usually like to wear my skateboarding shoes (DC's).

barryisawinnah
05-05-2011, 09:22 AM
I guess I will ask here then, what kind of oly shoes are they? Kinda look like the ones from Pendlay, maybe?

I've been thinking about getting a pair

Tom Mutaffis
05-05-2011, 11:53 AM
I guess I will ask here then, what kind of oly shoes are they? Kinda look like the ones from Pendlay, maybe?

I've been thinking about getting a pair

Those are the Do-Win Rogue shoes, I bought them back in 2008 and have been pleased with them. From what I understand they are similar to the newer Pendlay shoes.

I bought mine though MuscleDriver and would recommend them if you are looking to purchase a pair.

barryisawinnah
05-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Those are the Do-Win Rogue shoes, I bought them back in 2008 and have been pleased with them. From what I understand they are similar to the newer Pendlay shoes.

I bought mine though MuscleDriver and would recommend them if you are looking to purchase a pair.

Thanks Tom, I will look into it