PDA

View Full Version : Bench/press sticking point....

Dan Fanelli
05-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Just wanted to get some opinions on working on my sticking points on pressing. On bench its not as bad, because my speed is pretty good, but when I get up near my max or going for new PR's its always the same spot. For press, its more pronounced, because im starting from a dead stop.

My sticking point on bench is a few inches off the chest(probably about 4-5"). For press, its right around my forehead to about 2" above the forehead. Im able to grind quite a bit, and if I can get it a few inches above my head I can lock it out..

For bench, im cycling the weights and reps quite a bit with a close grip.

And for press, ive been alternating one week doing standing press to a max single, double or triple, and then the next week the same but for push press. But im thinking push press would be useless.

So how to I train for this sticking point on the press? Would some kind of rack press right around my sticking point be the way to go? Any other recommendations?
My accessory work for triceps is basically going to be rollback extensions and overhead cable tricep ext.

Mark!
05-05-2011, 10:43 PM
For my sticking points, I bring the bar towards my hard during the press just to get it locked out, seems to work for quite a few guys, just a thought. I was add some pin presses just below where your sticking point is and work that for a while, bands also work well for increased speed through that area. Where is it getting stuck? Are your elbows at about 90 degrees? Likely the anterior deltoids, if it's above that, pecs. What's really helped me is more focused/different accessory work. Doing the same accessory every time wasn't working for me. That and working on speed off my chest. I don't know how fast you're taking the bar down, I slowed my descent just a tad recently, built up aggression on the way down, then BOOM explode at the sound of a press call. Where is the bar hitting on you? Is it your chest or lower?

Dan Fanelli
05-05-2011, 10:51 PM
For the bench it is right around where elbows are 90 degrees. But im more conderned with working on the sticking point of the standing press at the moment which is also when my elbows are about 90 degrees, and the bar is just above my head.

NickAus
05-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Just get stronger............and build your back up more.

NickAus
05-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Oh and squeeze the bar harder.

Off Road
05-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Try some cable crossovers and dumbbell flyes :clown:
(sorry, I couldn't resist that.)

Travis Bell
05-06-2011, 05:34 AM
Actually it sounds like weak triceps to me

BloodandThunder
05-06-2011, 07:32 AM
^^^^
For a sticking point, work on volume at a point below that area. Use a close grip especially and focus on pushing hard through that rough area. You can use the same logic on the press by placing the bar on pins right below the same point. Do this as a complement to your normal work, don't make it your main work.

Dan Fanelli
05-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone.

@BloodandThunder, for volume do you mean something like 4-5x10 or go heavier weight for a few sets?

Also, does anyone have recommendations on conjugate exercise rotations for the standing press done with minimal equipement. I'd like to stick with singles mainly, and will still be hitting my CG bench pretty heavy on the other upper days.

BloodandThunder
05-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Pick an exercise and understand what your 1RM is. A good rule of thumb is to maybe do 5-6 sets x 3 reps at 80%. Go by feel and keep the reps under 5. The point here is building volume over time and not an end weight.

You can do standing or sitting press from pins. Push press. anything done with a close grip pretty much will carry over in addition to db overheads.

theBarzeen
05-06-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm going with weak triceps on this one.... that's right about where the tri's take over for me.

I'd go with some board presses ( narrow and regular grip) and more triceps work