PDA

View Full Version : 120 lbs Dumbbell Bench (form check vid)

dsb
05-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Hey guys, here's a vid of me benching the 120s for reps. How are my form/ROM? I know my form slipped on the last rep, but in general how was it?
j8ibfZN5Mpk&feature=relmfu

Your insight is appreciated :)

chevelle2291
05-06-2011, 07:25 AM
120 lbs in each hand?

Lift looks fine to me. I don't know why you posted this here instead of the members pics and vids section...

Off Road
05-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Good call Chevy.

dsb
05-06-2011, 07:45 AM
120 lbs in each hand?

Lift looks fine to me. I don't know why you posted this here instead of the members pics and vids section...

Yeah, 120 lbs each hand. Sorry I didn't clarify that earlier...but from what I've seen usually you only state the weight of the dumbbells, not the total of the 2 DBs.
Good to know it looks fine. Didn't realize there was a vid section.

bighollow99
05-06-2011, 03:57 PM
looks good. reminds me of me

BoAnderson71
05-06-2011, 10:20 PM
is this a form thread or a pat yourself on the back thread? I have never heard someone concerned about their db pressing form enough to post a video with music.

dsb
05-07-2011, 02:51 AM
is this a form thread or a pat yourself on the back thread? I have never heard someone concerned about their db pressing form enough to post a video with music.

It's a form/ROM check thread, to see whether my form and rom are decent or need improvement.
I don't know, I've seen hundreds of DB pressing videos on the net/youtube...

Tom Mutaffis
05-07-2011, 06:07 AM
Your head should not be lifting off of the bench when you bring the weight down to your chest. Also, you can bring your legs back a bit and spread them wider to increase stability (may help you to get an extra rep or two in some cases).

dsb
05-07-2011, 06:16 AM
Your head should not be lifting off of the bench when you bring the weight down to your chest. Also, you can bring your legs back a bit and spread them wider to increase stability (may help you to get an extra rep or two in some cases).

Thanks for the advice man. I do the head lift off the bench without even knowing it... I didn't even realize I was doing it before watching the vid. Also I've seen some of your vids, very impressive!

dsb
05-10-2011, 02:01 PM
So basically, apart from 2 minor changements I have to make (keep head on bench, stabilize myself better with legs), my form is overall good?

MNparisect
05-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Those are 120? Look more like 80's. Only thing I can tell is watch the head movement when bringing weight down, and legs could be brought back more. Other than that others have summed it up

dsb
05-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Those are 120? Look more like 80's. Only thing I can tell is watch the head movement when bringing weight down, and legs could be brought back more. Other than that others have summed it up

Don't worry, they're 120s. Worry more about your own lifting.
And you didn't really add anything, you said the exact same things that Tom a few posts above you did...

chevelle2291
05-11-2011, 02:06 PM
And you didn't really add anything, you said the exact same things that Tom a few posts above you did...

Lulz, defensive much?

MN gave you his opinion on what your form needs. Your video is titled 'form check vid.' He gave you what you asked for. If you don't want to hear opinions on your form don't ask for a form check. Sure, he may have reiterated something a previous poster said, but his observance of said issue with form helps reinforce the fact that it's an issue.

MNparisect
05-11-2011, 02:21 PM

Sorry I did not read Toms post. Also I wasn't questioning your honesty, I was just wondering because I have never seen DB's at 120 that looked like that. No hard feelings dsb.

dsb
07-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Sorry I did not read Toms post. Also I wasn't questioning your honesty, I was just wondering because I have never seen DB's at 120 that looked like that. No hard feelings dsb.

No problem man.

aj24
07-11-2011, 12:15 AM
looks good from this view, i also agree with the others, could also post a video from a different angle, how wide spread are your arms? are they making a 90 degree angle parallel to the floor?

not sure if i said that right, maybe this is it, is it a more like wide bench press or a narrow bench press grip

thecityalive
07-11-2011, 01:29 AM
First thing I did: mute.

dsb
07-11-2011, 03:01 AM
looks good from this view, i also agree with the others, could also post a video from a different angle, how wide spread are your arms? are they making a 90 degree angle parallel to the floor?

not sure if i said that right, maybe this is it, is it a more like wide bench press or a narrow bench press grip

Thank you for your reply and insight. To be honest, I never really gave that much thought; I guess you could say it's somewhere between the 2 grips since I don't go super wide but I also don't have a narrow grip. Which would be the right way to do it?

Mark!
07-11-2011, 03:20 AM
Thank you for your reply and insight. To be honest, I never really gave that much thought; I guess you could say it's somewhere between the 2 grips since I don't go super wide but I also don't have a narrow grip. Which would be the right way to do it?

depends on what you want the result to be.

dsb
07-11-2011, 05:49 AM
depends on what you want the result to be.

I just filmed myself doing DB Bench presses from a different angle (behind the bench, not to the side), and saw that my forearms were straight and at a 90 angle to the floor on most reps, but the DBs still came close to my body (touching chest, not going wide) since I tuck my elbows and don't flare them out, which I heard takes stres off the rotator cuffs and puts it on the chest. Is the way I described myself doing it acceptable, for stimulating the chest to a maximal amount?

aj24
07-11-2011, 11:14 AM
you should post up the video that you took, it should be fine, i think the way you are describing is working more of the inner chest instead of the outer though, not for sure though since I am only reading and not seeing

dsb
07-11-2011, 03:34 PM
you should post up the video that you took, it should be fine, i think the way you are describing is working more of the inner chest instead of the outer though, not for sure though since I am only reading and not seeing

That's weird...I usually feel it/get sore in my outer chest and front delts, but not in the inner chest....

BilltheButcher
07-11-2011, 07:10 PM
I am not a fan of placing the DB on your stomach and sitting back up when you are done. But I guess to each their own, just seems like a lot of lower back strain.

dsb
07-12-2011, 02:41 AM
I am not a fan of placing the DB on your stomach and sitting back up when you are done. But I guess to each their own, just seems like a lot of lower back strain.

I agree, normally after I've completed my set, with the dumbbells in the top position i turn them in so they are facing each other, and let them fall down to my knees while using the momentum to sit up.