PDA

View Full Version : How much soy?

vdizenzo
05-06-2011, 09:09 AM
I know the use of soy can be a heavily debated topic. I only ask about it because I have recently discovered soy crisps. They are a nice alternative snack and they contain a decent amount of protein. The most protein I get from them would be about 15 grams in a sitting a few times a week. Does anyone see any problem with this?

lenny spero
05-06-2011, 09:14 AM
derek poundstone from that i understand only uses soy protien...and those disgusting boiled chicken shakes that he drinks...i eat the edamane peas a few times a week..and i havent noticed myself crying @ sad movies or becoming more compasionate..lol

mchicia1
05-06-2011, 09:19 AM
and those disgusting boiled chicken shakes that he drinks.

I have nothing to add other than that SOUNDS NASTY.

StLRPh
05-06-2011, 10:05 AM
derek poundstone from that i understand only uses soy protien...and those disgusting boiled chicken shakes that he drinks...i eat the edamane peas a few times a week..and i havent noticed myself crying @ sad movies or becoming more compasionate..lol

this makes sense, I'd imagine it's a low percent of your overall caloric intake (and protein intake). But if you get weepy I'd probably cut back :clown:

Alex.V
05-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Really tough to say- isoflavone concentration in soy proteins is really variable. Apparently a lot of soy protein concentrates are relatively low in isoflavones.. came across an interesting chart here:

(to cite: (This information was distributed as part of a presentation at the American Dietetic Association 80th Annual Meeting and Exhibition, held October 27-30, 1997, in Boston, Massachusetts, by James W. Anderson, M.D. Professor of Medicine and Clinical Nutrition University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY. Phone 606-281-4954; fax 606-233-3832, e-mail: jwandersmd@aol.com)

Food, then isoflavone mg/gram of protein.

Mature soybeans, uncooked 5.1
Roasted soybeans 5.5
Soy flour 5.5
Textured soy protein, dry 5.2
Green soybeans,uncooked 3.3
Soy milk 2
Tempeh, uncooked 3.1
Tofu, uncooked 2.1
Soy isolate, dry 2.2
Soy concentrate, dry 0.3

I don't have a lot of data on what is considered a therapeutically active concentration of isoflavones, though trials on post-menopausal women use anywhere from 40 to 100mg/day. Which, roughly, equates to 1-2mg/kg.

Assuming these crisps contain soy isolate, I'd opt to stay at half the low range of that dosage, so 0.5mg/kg... or in my case, anything less than ~50 mg of isoflavones a day is probably safe.. or total soy intake of 25 grams of isolate.

And that would be every day.

Dan Fanelli
05-06-2011, 12:08 PM
You'll turn into a woman.

Alex.V
05-07-2011, 07:12 AM
You'll turn into a woman.

Yes, this is basically what I was saying.

BallsWideDeep
05-25-2011, 01:13 PM
I've got some acne on my legs. I am trying to resolve it with some tea tree oil at someones recommendation, but I saw this:
http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/jan2007/niehs-31.htm
Shit. I also eat some soy products. Soon I maybe pumping breast milk!:omg:

Alex.V
05-25-2011, 02:43 PM
I've got some acne on my legs. I am trying to resolve it with some tea tree oil at someones recommendation, but I saw this:
http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/jan2007/niehs-31.htm
Shit. I also eat some soy products. Soon I maybe pumping breast milk!:omg:

Take pics, eh?

BallsWideDeep
05-26-2011, 02:00 AM
Take pics, eh?

Fuck it. Webcam business.

NickAus
05-26-2011, 04:19 AM
Interesting post Vinnie, I have wondered the same thing.......I can get soy protein crisps for $2.70 here which taste awesome and have 18 grams P.

I have nothing to add really other than I prob would not have soy every day just to be sure.

Alex.V
05-30-2011, 10:42 AM
I think Soy products such as soy burgers, soymilk, and soy cheese are much more popular and available today.

:confused:

Rugby Dad
06-07-2011, 04:20 PM
i used to snack on soy nuts alot some years ago
anyone try them? as long as they're salted or added spice flavorings they're not bad. like crunchy hard little peanuts but kinda bland no peanut taste.

didn't really notice any negs or positives from eating them.

dynamo
06-13-2011, 09:03 AM
ALN's novus bars use soy protein. I seem to remember them using the proprietary ALN whey/egg/casein blend when they first started but I could be wrong. Regardless I bought 3 boxes of these novus bars, all containing 36g of soy isolate per bar and I am eating at least 1 per day. I'll let you know when I start to cry uncontrollably and desire to see chick flicks.

for reference I'm 270 lbs and about 15% body fat (guessimate, based off looking in the mirror [flat stomach, jiggly 6 pack])

manowar669
06-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Humans shouldn't consume soy, ever. Grains either. Soybean oil is in just about every processed "food" item. Avoid them. Eat meat and vegetables. Then more meat and vegetables. Much better and tastier food choices anyway, so why choose soy?

Alex.V
06-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Humans shouldn't consume soy, ever. Grains either. Soybean oil is in just about every processed "food" item. Avoid them. Eat meat and vegetables. Then more meat and vegetables. Much better and tastier food choices anyway, so why choose soy?

As much as I agree with the overall sentiment here, I don't know if it's quite an absolute. We're quite adaptable to numerous types of food. Grains shouldn't be a mainstay by any means, and soy is entirely too prevalent in our diet (considering it IS detrimental to our endocrine systems), but I think there's a bit more leeway than "zero".