PDA

View Full Version : Critique Me on My DL :)

MNparisect
05-08-2011, 11:36 PM
315 @ 170, not alot but I just started deadlifting in my routine about a 3 weeks ago. I really like the lift, and this is my 1 rep raw max. I feel like I can get more but I want to be sure my motions and lifting techinque is right before that. Any critisism and help is much appriciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCewsrrn2Ps

f=ma
05-09-2011, 03:09 AM
ok.. so i am not a deadlift expert. but this is what i can see: the bar is too far away from you when you start the lift, you have very little leg drive if any, descent looks pretty awkward.. and personally, i would rather go barefoot than wear crosstrainers/whatever those are

mchicia1
05-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Pause at 0:24. Your back looks like a banana and it is at a 90 degree angle. While the deadlift won't have your torso upright as much as a squat, you still need to try to create a solid arch at the bottom of the movement and really sit back so you drive off the floor with your legs.

Also, lose the gloves...you grip better without them.

With all that being said, your strength is good on that weight...the cause of your form issues is not from the weight being too heavy, it is just stuff you have to work on.

You really just need to learn how to bend at your hips and arch your back, you can see even on the descent of the lift, you are bending with your upper back.

MNparisect
05-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks guys, I will work on the form. I'll have another video soon to see if I got the form right, I appriciate it!

f=ma
05-09-2011, 10:55 AM
in all fairness, quite a few taller lifters have a rounded upper back, myself included. i cant even reach the bar without rounding from the ground

4g64fiero
05-09-2011, 11:10 AM
in all fairness, quite a few taller lifters have a rounded upper back, myself included. i cant even reach the bar without rounding from the ground

To be honest, you should probably work on hip mobility then if you dont want to drop your hips low enough to grab the bar with a straight back. It took me months to be able to get in position properly with conventional form that didnt resemble a squat just with the bar in my hands.

As a novice, I have noticed that there are alot of differing schools of thought on conventional deadlift form. EFTS tend to describe the deadlift with a higher hip position in mind, where as Mark Rippetoe tends to describe it and demonstrate it with a lower hip position. EFTS's position would require much more flexibility in the hip if you are going to keep a rigid back.

I have tried both forms and chose the EFTS style after considering that the Rippetoe form may rely on quads more than I wanted with deadlift. I do olympic squats during the week anyways. I use the deadlift as a movement to hit the posterior chain of the back that olympic squats dont hit as severe as PLing squats (except the glutes).

Just something to consider.

andhen2003
05-09-2011, 01:10 PM
To be honest, you should probably work on hip mobility then if you dont want to drop your hips low enough to grab the bar with a straight back. It took me months to be able to get in position properly with conventional form that didnt resemble a squat just with the bar in my hands.

As a novice, I have noticed that there are alot of differing schools of thought on conventional deadlift form. EFTS tend to describe the deadlift with a higher hip position in mind, where as Mark Rippetoe tends to describe it and demonstrate it with a lower hip position. EFTS's position would require much more flexibility in the hip if you are going to keep a rigid back.

I have tried both forms and chose the EFTS style after considering that the Rippetoe form may rely on quads more than I wanted with deadlift. I do olympic squats during the week anyways. I use the deadlift as a movement to hit the posterior chain of the back that olympic squats dont hit as severe as PLing squats (except the glutes).

Just something to consider.

tho i'm not a very good deadlifter, i'm an advocate for starting with the hips higher like the OP does, that way your hips aren't shooting up at the start of the lift (which is what always happened with me). Couple of thoughts on the video: (a) lose the gloves, (b) see if you can bring your hands in closer together so your arms are hanging more straight down. that will lessen the distance the bar has to travel and you're less likely to tear your bicep like I did! (c) look at the couple of seconds when the bar starts coming off the ground. it swings back towards your legs a bit before it starts moving up. Means you could probably start with the bar a little closer to your legs. The bar usually scrapes up my shins when i conventional deadlift.

andhen2003
05-09-2011, 05:08 PM
oh and stop listening to The Smiths when you lift - guaranteed that's taking 50 lbs off your max. :-)

Sean S
05-09-2011, 05:25 PM
You are lifting with your back in the "scared cat" position, which is very rarely a positive thing. Even if you start with your hips higher, you still need to try to lock in something resembling an arch. I've found that that overwhelming majority of people who lift with a very rounded back either get injured and/or end up hitching or not being able to lock out their DL's. Your entire back is rounded, not just your lower back. Those who are able to DL heavy with a rounded back safely and effectively are the exception, not the rule, so you really should strive to maintain an arch.
I would recommend you search the internet for the Rippetoe deadlift set-up information and follow it. Work on technique as he describes it. After a period of years of training you can tweak things if you want once you really know your strengths and weaknesses.

joey54
05-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Ok, I have to say it.

Do you have a black purse?

MNparisect
05-09-2011, 06:01 PM
LMFAO, no no no.. I did have headphones in, thats just some stupid station that they play. Hence the reason I wear headphones. And thanks for all the tips fellas, I'm positive its going to help out on Wednesday (leg and back day).

IronDiggy
05-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Ok, I have to say it.

Do you have a black purse?

bwahaha

Mark!
05-10-2011, 03:16 AM
lmao @ black purse. Solid work man, 315 was a big milestone for me a few back. Pretty much what others said, but you gotta go with what feels good to you, barring a stupid injury. I sink my ass down right before the lift, then explode through the hips when pulling conventional. Just keep pulling, fix the form issues, keep the chest up, and keep working.

MNparisect
05-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks again fellas, the input keeps me motivated. You'd be happy to know that my dog chewed my gloves up last night haha. Bastard tried getting a hold of the weight belt as well. :swear:

joey54
05-11-2011, 01:34 PM
In all seriousness, bring your stance in quite a bit. You could probably get away with having less than 6 inches between your heels. Subsequently, bring your hands in closer together on the bar. Reference my dl videos on YouTube to see what I mean. There are some in this section I believe. Doing what I suggest, along with regular stretching will fix the rounded back problem.

4g64fiero
05-13-2011, 01:38 PM
In all seriousness, bring your stance in quite a bit. You could probably get away with having less than 6 inches between your heels. Subsequently, bring your hands in closer together on the bar. Reference my dl videos on YouTube to see what I mean. There are some in this section I believe. Doing what I suggest, along with regular stretching will fix the rounded back problem.

Link?

joey54
05-13-2011, 08:39 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?142871-Squat-Deadlift-from-4-17

If you go to my YouTube page from the video, I believe ther are videos from various angles which might help to give an idea of starting position. For reference I am 6'1" with relatively long arms.

Rugby Dad
06-18-2011, 03:02 PM
don't round the back, and maintain an arch
get that bar on your shins, bar should slide up your shins during the pull
you did not hold the lock out for even a second, learn to hold the fully extended lock out for at least a second
don't pull with any sort of thickly padded footwear
looked like your heels rose off the floor slightly at end, DON'T do that. You want to push into the floor from you heels maintain weight over the hips.

thecityalive
07-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Honestly, I cringed before you started the lift.

Perhaps it's just the stupid BFS program of "feel the steel" that has been driven in my head when doing deadlift or any similar lift, but move closer (touch your shins to the bar) and you will get more drive out of your lift. By moving closer to the center of mass, you make the lift substantially easier for you, the lifter, and for your body. Simple physics really.

Pull barefoot, it will change your life.

musclemick
07-09-2011, 05:45 AM
Barefoot training ftmfw! I remember doing deads like that once upon a time and pretty sure this website is the one that set me in my ways. Get your form right and you'll be sweet.

And I run the bar up and down my shins, usually tearing off old scar tissue. But it helps keep my form tight