PDA

View Full Version : safety squat sucks!

thewicked
05-10-2011, 02:33 PM
used the SS bar last night and only hit 415 with it...and I recently squatted 530 with just a belt. :omg: What's so difficult about this bar? I'm very weak with it is why I chose to start working with it in my routine

SEOINAGE
05-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Try going to visit someone's gym, and safety squats are the first thing on the agenda and you have never done them before. Been there, and yes I felt like a pansy. The position your body is in is different, and you probably aren't used to it, topped off with the fact that it is just hard.

Brian Hopper
05-12-2011, 09:09 AM
It's normal, the SSB is very hard to use but it will teach you so much. When I squatted 920 is when I first started using the SSB and I couldn't box squat 3plates with the SSB. It took me so long to get use to it, my upper back was so weak that it kept folding me over. Now I feel more comfortable with the bar. Sometime last year I was doing 4 plates for reps.

It will help strengthen your upper back, traps, lower back, IMO pretty much everything, lol. I have found that its harder to sit back all the way like you can with a straight bar. The bar also will force you to drive your head back harder, because it will feel like the bar wants to dump over your head. This will help you when your coming out of the hole with a straight bar. Not to mention it does take the pressure off the elbows, biceps and shoulders.

Personally, I think it's a great tool to use to help build a squat. I don't use it as much as I should, but when I get back training i'm going to use it on most of my speed work.

Have you tried the bar on GM's yet?

AdamBAG
05-12-2011, 09:17 AM
That's been my experience as well. The SSB it especially tough on guys who squat with a low bar position b/c the SSB sits pretty high and throws you forward. It definitely makes the upper back stronger.

Brian Hopper
05-12-2011, 09:29 AM
That's been my experience as well. The SSB it especially tough on guys who squat with a low bar position b/c the SSB sits pretty high and throws you forward. It definitely makes the upper back stronger.

Exactly, I think someone who squats with the bar higher on their back will feel more comfortable then someone who squats with a low bar b/c like you said it does sit higher on your back. Trust me, it was an eye opener because I thought it wasn't a big difference until I got under it, lol. It made me feel like shit when I go from squatting 9's to getting crushed with 300, lol.

C...unit
05-12-2011, 09:58 AM
I friggen hate that bar for everything lol

Brian Hopper
05-12-2011, 10:00 AM
I friggen hate that bar for everything lol

Your not alone, alot of lifters do. lol

vdizenzo
05-12-2011, 12:30 PM
I love the ssb. It saves my shoulders and pecs a ton. So are you guys saying if I actually used a regular bar it's possible I'd squat more than with the ssb? Too bad I can't get my hands between a squat bar to see. Upper body flexibility is not my strong point.

Brian Hopper
05-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Wow, you really need to work on your flexibility. lol

thewicked
05-12-2011, 01:01 PM
yeah that's the plan...to really hit the safety squat bar hard and use it to build up my back for heavier standard bar squats. I've been using it for seated good mornings as well this week and it's the hardest damn thing I've ever used and because of that fact, I'll be using it alot. If THAT gest easy so should everything else... i hope lol

AdamBAG
05-12-2011, 01:39 PM
I love the ssb. It saves my shoulders and pecs a ton. So are you guys saying if I actually used a regular bar it's possible I'd squat more than with the ssb? Too bad I can't get my hands between a squat bar to see. Upper body flexibility is not my strong point.

Vincent, I'd be blown away if you couldn't squat more with a straight bar.

blong
05-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Love using the SSB with bands and it really helped my problem of rounding when the weights get heavy in meets with the normal squat bar. I like rotating SSB+bands, cambered bar+chains and regular bar with straight weight for the squat. All tools feel like that benefit my squat in different ways.

hulk242
05-13-2011, 09:09 PM
I love the bar! If you use without a box, it is especially dificult. I teaches me to maintain my arch and be able to finish if I do.

Lones Green
05-14-2011, 07:50 AM
Yes it does. It will make sure stronger no question though. My best is only like 545 or so

muscle_g
05-14-2011, 10:17 AM
I really love using the SSB for Pause Squats, Close-Stance Squats, and Good Mornings. I feel it really hits my weak area(which is wanting to fold over in the hole of a squat). My squat has improved alot since I started using this bar.

C...unit
05-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Well last night I was introduced to a new bar its a ssb/giant camber bar almost like eliets spider bar with shorter handles to make it more miserable. This thing was an experiance, we had two lifters fall they were caught most of the time lol one lifter fell twice, This thing just throws you forward and swings everywhere too. I have a new enemy!