PDA

View Full Version : Prison PLing

Brian C
05-10-2011, 05:18 PM
UhF4Kpg6soc&feature=player_embedded
Good or bad?

ScottYard
05-10-2011, 06:34 PM
I saw this before. I work in corrections as a social worker. I wish our jail had more positive outlets like this.

Brian C
05-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Yea Scott i agree. Im a police officer in Philly, and as a lot of guys I work with would probably disagree, I think programs like this having an organized and tightly run gym would really be beneficial to inmates. And as you can see in the vid, races are brought together and actually support each other, which NEVER happens inside.

barryisawinnah
05-10-2011, 07:17 PM
that's awesome.

I can't see why more prisons/jails wouldn't want to incorporate more things like this

MNparisect
05-10-2011, 07:58 PM
To have that energy I would need 2 four loco's!

jtteg_x
05-11-2011, 01:44 AM
I believe I read somewhere in Powerlifting USA that Chuck Vogelpohl was or currently is a correctional officer. I bet he would love to have that at his camp.

So when is the "Prison Open" meet gonna happen?:clown:

Mark!
05-11-2011, 02:35 AM
Yea Scott i agree. Im a police officer in Philly, and as a lot of guys I work with would probably disagree, I think programs like this having an organized and tightly run gym would really be beneficial to inmates. And as you can see in the vid, races are brought together and actually support each other, which NEVER happens inside.

I'm in the same field, and I definitely agree. That's a damn good video showing what it can accomplish.

BloodandThunder
05-11-2011, 08:38 AM
I've been to Rockview which is right outside PSU for some meets. Met Beetle Lowe (saw him pull 700+ beltless in his late fifties). Jim Williams also lifted there, but they have some strong guys lifting big weights with such minimal equipment.

PaulM
05-11-2011, 09:07 AM
the prison meets that Blood and Thunder is talking about are great to go to. Some freak raw lifting. Always love going

Brian Hopper
05-11-2011, 12:39 PM
That's such a cool video.

theBarzeen
05-11-2011, 01:17 PM
It's a real shame that so many prisons are getting rid of their weight rooms.... I'm no criminal, but I know that weight lifting has been a positive thing in my own life, it must be a god send for someone locked up with issues to get through.

Lones Green
05-11-2011, 02:13 PM
I think this is pretty cool. I'm currently in school for psych and I'd like to do something with the degree in a prison.

BloodandThunder
05-11-2011, 02:23 PM
@ PaulM --- Actually, these prisoners all raised their own money to buy Titan single-ply equipment. Beetle Lowe still holds the World Raw Squat record at 275 and still holds the American Senior Squat record at 950 in single ply. I was refering to basic barbell, bench, rack setup. They fashioned some boards together though.

Even crazier, these guys subsided on grape drink, coffee cake, and coffee during meets haha.

All of them had to be on good behavior to be eligible to lift with the squad and like mentioned, it gave them something to focus on while incarcerated. They definitely were the most fun USAPL meets I've been to though haha with the whole prison watching and cheering.

Bosshogg300
05-11-2011, 03:22 PM
i think it is a good idea that there is a chance for these guys to have an outlet like weightlifting, and i for one see no reason why they shouldnt i am entering into the law enforcement field and know many others in law enforcement who also feel the same, but it was a good video

NickAus
05-12-2011, 05:37 AM
I don't give a fuck about prisoners and those guys do not impress me but if it means they are less likely to return to criminal behavior when they get out then that is a very good thing.

I'm sure there would be a positive effect.

Falcon63
05-12-2011, 07:35 AM
I don't give a fuck about prisoners and those guys do not impress me but if it means they are less likely to return to criminal behavior when they get out then that is a very good thing.

I'm sure there would be a positive effect.

Exactly.

Brian Hopper
05-12-2011, 07:36 AM
Tell us how you really feel Nick, lol.

MikeWilliams
05-12-2011, 02:44 PM
cool video

cpa5oh
05-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Long as taxpayer money doesn't fund this, it's a great thing.

Brian C
05-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Obviously being in LE, I could care less in general about prisoners also. But the ones that do want to change and would benefit from a program from this, im all for. BUT there would be very strict policies to be able to utilize the gym AND you would have to earn your way first. Anyone with gang affiliation is automatically out, period.

Falcon63
05-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Obviously being in LE, I could care less in general about prisoners also. But the ones that do want to change and would benefit from a program from this, im all for. BUT there would be very strict policies to be able to utilize the gym AND you would have to earn your way first. Anyone with gang affiliation is automatically out, period.

This. It would be a pretty easy for way for a criminal to take out a rival gang member. 45 pound plate tot he side of the head.

killxswitch
05-13-2011, 11:01 AM
To me prison is for punishment, not rehabilitation. That being said, if the rehabilitation does happen, great. And it seems like this would be a good way for big dumb guys that might otherwise make bad decisions to get some of that aggression out in a positive manner. I know race is a huge dividing line in prison so any activity that increases racial harmony and makes them all too tired to hurt each other or a prison guard is a good thing.

ironwill727
05-13-2011, 09:08 PM
I worked as a C/O in one of the few prisons that still has weights. It was outdoors and the inmates treated those weights like gold because if they break they would not be replaced. . If they ever rioted the weights would be gone in a heartbeat. It helps them relieve stress and tension and the prison used it as leverage (win/win). Contrary to popular belief most inmates are not freaks of nature or beasts, however their were some big strong dudes there. Personally, I think prison powerlifting can be a good thing because it teaches inmates to set goals and be positive as long as it is used as a priviledge that can be taken away.

NickAus
05-14-2011, 01:18 AM
Some good thoughts!

NITF
05-14-2011, 08:44 AM
To me prison is for punishment, not rehabilitation. That being said, if the rehabilitation does happen, great. And it seems like this would be a good way for big dumb guys that might otherwise make bad decisions to get some of that aggression out in a positive manner. I know race is a huge dividing line in prison so any activity that increases racial harmony and makes them all too tired to hurt each other or a prison guard is a good thing.

A prisons primary purpose, as it has developed though centuries of western criminal law, is restraint, not punishment or retribution. Criminal law, and by extension prisons, are made up of and serve the following 4 principles: Restraint (keeping dangerous people away from society), Rehabilitation (trying to keep dangerous people from being so dangerous, maybe make them productive), Retribution (societies revenge for violating laws doing harm to others), and Deterrence (sending a message to society about the consequences of violating laws and abnormal behavior). These are commonly known as the three 'R's and one 'D', and are fundamental to our legal system.

It's my opinion that any prison without a balanced, rational approach to the 3 'R's and one 'D' is not worth taxpayers money.

Weight lifting is a great way to help rehab inmates and shape their behavior. It will help teach them to set and achieve goals, have positive self-regard and help give them a more positive attitude all around.

Travis Bell
05-14-2011, 10:22 AM

hahaha you don't have any experience with the prison system do you

Prison is indeed for restraint as well as punishment. Punishment by removal of privileges of being out in public

As well as a deterrent for future potential crime.

There are indeed a lot of guys who deserve to be in prison and should stay there for a very long time without enjoying it.

But the guys in this video would certainly not be those cases. They wouldn't be allowed otherwise.

Not everybody in prison is like what you see on Discovery Channel

stlpower123
05-14-2011, 02:03 PM
To have that energy I would need 2 four loco's!

i think not seeing a woman for years would do the trick