PDA

View Full Version : Eating Before Bed / Gaining Mass

Tom Mutaffis
05-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Who here eats before bed when trying to put on size? And what do you typically eat?

StLRPh
05-11-2011, 09:18 AM
I always do. Usually around 400 to 500 calories. No carbs, all fat and protein trying to get at least 30g+ protein. Ends up being random meat, cheeses and some nuts. Sometimes a protein shake

Off Road
05-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Buling or cutting, I usually have a protein (Nitrean) shake about an hour before bed.

bgb1990
05-11-2011, 10:12 AM
i will do a casein shake an hour or so before bed.

Focused70
05-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Usually a bowl of cottage cheese, with salt and pepper.

tom183
05-11-2011, 06:40 PM
A large glass of milk. This is also when I take my fish oil and multi-vitamin.

NickAus
05-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Plenty of milk............or a shake depending on how well I ate during the day.

Cheese sandwich sometimes too.

trumayhem
05-11-2011, 07:25 PM
I cottage cheese it up having a cup... use to hate it now I tolerate it and just eat it quick.

Behemoth
05-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Depends, ill eat anything from nothing to everything. I view it no different than any other hour of the day other than for pre and post workout, those are the only two meals that I believe deserve special attention.

KIBBLES N BITS
05-11-2011, 10:38 PM
When I was following an actual diet I was eating my last meal about an hour before bed.45g protein, 3g fish oil, 3g EPO. At the moment no eating before bed, I usually stop eating at around 6-7pm with bedtime being anywhere between 1-3 am.

Allen Cress
05-11-2011, 11:15 PM
I have always eaten before bed, off-season and precontest. Right now I have 6 whole eggs & 1 cup of oatmeal

Behemoth
05-12-2011, 01:41 AM
I have always eaten before bed, off-season and precontest. Right now I have 6 whole eggs & 1 cup of oatmeal

You heard it here folks, carbs before bedtime are not the devil!

LuNa
05-12-2011, 02:21 AM
Both when bulking or cutting i will have a casein/whey shake with a handful of almonds.

Allen Cress
05-12-2011, 02:49 PM

Exactly! It seems that a lot of individuals are carb phobic. Carbs are not evil and don't make you gain fat, too many calories and junk does that. I've had many clients, including myself have carbs prior to bed 6 weeks out from a contest (males and females).

Mercuryblade
05-12-2011, 04:26 PM

But I thought carbs were like vampires and turned to fat once the sun goes down.

Behemoth
05-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Exactly! It seems that a lot of individuals are carb phobic. Carbs are not evil and don't make you gain fat, too many calories and junk does that. I've had many clients, including myself have carbs prior to bed 6 weeks out from a contest (males and females).
I'm curious as to the reasoning to stop them at that point? I really enjoy following prep logs and apart from the guys that believe in the old school voodoo tricks like candy, wine and also crazy (usually unnecessary and sometimes dangerous) sodium and water tricks prior to stepping on stage I do see a lot of smart and well conditioned guys keep pretty much the same diet all the way up until peak week (which I fully agree to not try and employ a lot of new tactics late if its been getting you where you need to go). Is it mostly a way of just reducing the most easily disposed of calories in their diet?

But I thought carbs were like vampires and turned to fat once the sun goes down.
They are, which is why if you eat carbs at night you should always sleep with uv admitting bulbs on you to avoid lipogenisis.

f=ma
05-12-2011, 07:14 PM

they do when theyre chased wit h 16 beers and a pizza

synonymous
05-12-2011, 10:12 PM
What's the exact science people use?

My wife is always on me about having a protein shake (Sometimes with a banana) an hour before bed. Her reasoning is "Your body slows down and tries to rest but you keep it from resting well because now it has to digest food...therefore you don't sleep well and are doing yourself no good."

Arguing with her is pointless (Any married man knows). Just curious as to how people got this idea and what the science behind what really happens is...all I know is that if I have dinner at 6 or 7 and I'm hungry at 10 or 11, I can't think about going to bed. I need a couple hundred calories in me.

mchicia1
05-13-2011, 09:08 AM
A lot of BBers actually wake up in the middle of the night to drink a shake.

Mercuryblade
05-13-2011, 10:16 AM
What's the exact science people use?

My wife is always on me about having a protein shake (Sometimes with a banana) an hour before bed. Her reasoning is "Your body slows down and tries to rest but you keep it from resting well because now it has to digest food...therefore you don't sleep well and are doing yourself no good."

Arguing with her is pointless (Any married man knows). Just curious as to how people got this idea and what the science behind what really happens is...all I know is that if I have dinner at 6 or 7 and I'm hungry at 10 or 11, I can't think about going to bed. I need a couple hundred calories in me.

There is no science behind it, it's just another arbitrarily perpetuated myth.

Allen Cress
05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm curious as to the reasoning to stop them at that point? I really enjoy following prep logs and apart from the guys that believe in the old school voodoo tricks like candy, wine and also crazy (usually unnecessary and sometimes dangerous) sodium and water tricks prior to stepping on stage I do see a lot of smart and well conditioned guys keep pretty much the same diet all the way up until peak week (which I fully agree to not try and employ a lot of new tactics late if its been getting you where you need to go). Is it mostly a way of just reducing the most easily disposed of calories in their diet?

You hit the nail on the head with this "Is it mostly a way of just reducing the most easily disposed of calories in their diet?" When calories get lower and you're in that relative deficit you want more calories in the first 3-4 meals depending on your caloric intake. Now you could also just evenly divide your carbs and just have much smaller portions with all meals, there isn't just one way and it depends on the client.

All those voodoo tricks are completely useless and can do more harm than good. Only if someone is depeleted and lean enough would you load them just to fill them out and dry them out as much as possible so they don;t look stringy on stage.

Allen Cress
05-13-2011, 11:15 AM
A lot of BBers actually wake up in the middle of the night to drink a shake.

You never want to wake up in the middle of the night just to drink a shake, sleep is way to important to interupt. Now if you happen to wake up to use the bathroom or something then its fine.

mchicia1
05-13-2011, 12:59 PM
You never want to wake up in the middle of the night just to drink a shake, sleep is way to important to interupt. Now if you happen to wake up to use the bathroom or something then its fine.

Thats what I meant, during bathroom breaks.

Off Road
05-13-2011, 01:46 PM
I don't wake up to use the bathroom at night...I'm not that old yet :)

My wife on the other hand would end up having three or four shakes a night - lol

Mercuryblade
05-13-2011, 01:51 PM
I don't wake up to use the bathroom at night...I'm not that old yet :)

I do an I'm only 25 :(

cphafner
05-14-2011, 01:23 PM
I drink a shake with olive oil before hand. Also keep the same next to my bed for midnight piss breaks.

f=ma
05-14-2011, 02:34 PM
doesnt that night time shake get nasty while it sits there?

af92
05-14-2011, 02:41 PM
I drink a shake with olive oil before hand. Also keep the same next to my bed for midnight piss breaks.

doesnt that night time shake get nasty while it sits there?

Damn, I missed that little portion there. I hope you have a little fridge by your bed. Yuck.

BallsWideDeep
05-15-2011, 12:32 PM
I have to go to the gym late and workout up to an hour before bed. I drink a protein shake with a scoop of maltodextrin added after the workout. An hour later before bed I eat a bowl of oatmeal with whole milk and a chicken breast.

I also tried night time shakes, but sometimes I would forget to take them, and they'd just sit there. I would miss my calorie target for that day, so I stopped it. My shakes didn't get nasty, because I'd just put a bottle of water next to it and add it.