PDA

View Full Version : Have You Guys Bench With The Axle Bar?

Hobo Beard
05-14-2011, 12:49 AM
One of the strongmen at my gym bought an axle bar a while ago.

The other day he was using it to do clean-and-press and I thought of trying to bench with it.

Have any of you guys ever benched with it?

I'm asking to see if there's any tips you could give me.

Thanks in advance.

Brian Hopper
05-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't an axle bar just a fat bar? Because, I have benched with a fat bar that our strongman guys use to do clean-and-presses with. I don't see any difference at all with benching besides the thickness and it weighs 30lbs more then a regular bar. I tried going wide and just couldn't do it, because it would kill my wrists.

Hobo Beard
05-15-2011, 02:31 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't an axle bar just a fat bar? Because, I have benched with a fat bar that our strongman guys use to do clean-and-presses with. I don't see any difference at all with benching besides the thickness and it weighs 30lbs more then a regular bar. I tried going wide and just couldn't do it, because it would kill my wrists.

My first PL gym had a fat bar that was hollow, so I guess in my mind a thick, fat bar would be called an axle bar.

I figured the added thickness and weight of the bar would dramatically change the physics of the benching motion.

Did you wear wrist wraps when you benched with it?

Brian Hopper
05-15-2011, 06:32 AM
Our fat bar is solid and weighs 75lbs. We just got another fat bar that is hollow but I don't think anybody used it yet. I only use wrist wraps on top sets, my wrist don't bother me if I use a normal grip, only if I bench wide.

I personally haven't noticed a difference in the bench motion. The only thing I can think of is, it's just harder to grip. I always feel like the bar is going to come out of my hands which makes me want to grip it harder, lol. But once you go back to a regular bar, it feels like nothing in your hands.

mikesbench
05-15-2011, 01:39 PM
I've benched with a fat bar a few times. I seem to get much more sore than usual in my chest and shoulders from it. As a side note, I seem to be able to bench more (raw) with "specialty bars" like the fat bar, and arch bar than I can with a regular barbell.

Tom Mutaffis
05-17-2011, 08:23 AM
One of the strongmen at my gym bought an axle bar a while ago.

The other day he was using it to do clean-and-press and I thought of trying to bench with it.

Have any of you guys ever benched with it?

I'm asking to see if there's any tips you could give me.

I have done some bench work in the past with a 2" bar and it is a good way to mix things up; I also prefer a fat bar for overhead press.

barryisawinnah
05-17-2011, 09:04 AM
I was going to ask this question basically if there was any advantage to doing bench work with a fat bar or fat gripz. I floor pressed the other day with my fat gripz, felt pretty good.

I'm with Tom that I like to overhead with an axle