PDA

View Full Version : squats and deads in the same week

Bosshogg300
05-14-2011, 04:06 PM
I am creating a new routine and am wondering if doing squats and deads the same week but on different days would be fine to do, and I planned on doing different variations of each lift each week following a 8 week squat and dead routine by chad coy, and every fourth week you take off from each lift

NickAus
05-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Yep, both in the same week would be fine.......would be good.

Just make sure if you pull heavy you don't go as heavy on squats the same week or you can have a heavy week then a speed week of both etc............just mix it up in a way that lets you do it with-out overtraining, you will figure it out.

Have at look at Brian Carrol's training, also some guys here do it too.

HJP
05-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Yeah man I regularly squat and dead in the same week with no troubles, just give yourself decent break between these days!

Brian Hopper
05-14-2011, 08:22 PM
There's alot of lifters that squat and deadlift in the same week on different days. As of now, that's how I'm doing it. Like Nick already mentioned, Brian Carroll does it and I believe that's how Big Iron Gym trains.

kingns
05-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Its totally fine to do. Alot of people either do speed work with one and max effort work for the other, Ive also done it with just two max effort days for each lift. Both work, you just cant expect to be at your best both days and might hit get more beat up. But if you deload and rest up the gained strength will show itself. I squat and dead EVERY week, even if its a deload or the week of the meet, it just might be VERY light.

mchicia1
05-16-2011, 08:11 AM
+1 for squatting/dling in the same week, although I do have to cycle the volume from time to time. Usually both are high intensity though. Normally 4 days of rest between each is enough.

vdizenzo
05-16-2011, 10:18 AM
I have nothing to offer, but I did not want to feel left out.

Bosshogg300
05-16-2011, 03:56 PM
ok thanks guys, i think i will alternate week to week my percents for squat and dead and do one lift 85-95% one week maybe a little higher like 90-95% and the other lift i not exactly sure on the percents anyone got any ideas on either for that matter lol

NickAus
05-16-2011, 05:23 PM
I would not be too worried about percents, you know what is backing off and what is max effort but to me there is a huge difference between 90% and 100%.........you can work up to 90% to work form with heavy weight and not smash yourself.

You could train both heavy for 3 weeks then deload on the 4th week just hitting assistance work.........plenty of guys seem to do that.

I think you will do really well with this new template!

Brian Hopper
05-16-2011, 07:20 PM
If you are wanting to alternate heavy and light between each lift then do just that. If this week is to squat heavy then do some speed pulls. The next week do some speed squats and then pull heavy. But to answer your question, on your light days you can go 50-60% of bar weight and add some bands or chains and focus on speed and technique. If you don't want to use bands or chains then go about 65-75% of just straight weight and you still want to focus on technique and speed.

Bosshogg300
05-16-2011, 07:33 PM
ok thanks guys i am going to start working on my routine and post it and see what you guys think

Brian Hopper
05-16-2011, 07:43 PM
ok thanks guys i am going to start working on my routine and post it and see what you guys think

Are you going to post it here? Just wondering where we should look out for it...

Bosshogg300
05-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Yea I will post it in this thread, and after I set this routine up I want to start a training journal here

Tom Mutaffis
05-17-2011, 08:17 AM
I am creating a new routine and am wondering if doing squats and deads the same week but on different days would be fine to do, and I planned on doing different variations of each lift each week following a 8 week squat and dead routine by chad coy, and every fourth week you take off from each lift

There is no simple answer because there are a lot of factors:

- Intensity and volume of the squatting/deadlifting.
- Recovery ability of the trainee.
- Additional training (strongman events, etc.)

Brian Hopper
05-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Yea I will post it in this thread, and after I set this routine up I want to start a training journal here

You should start a journal here. It's the best place to keep one:)

Bosshogg300
05-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Well heres my routine i just wrote up finally been busy with finals, but what i am trying to do is have a little bit of a mix of strongman and powerlifting, and i have read alot trying to create the ideal routine for me, but i will mention something i didnt show when i was writing up my routine i will be alternating each week the days i will go heavy and light, for deads and squats, so what i have posted in my routine for those two lifts is what i will be doing on my heavy days for them and not my light days which will consist of Box squats and speed pulls. But let me know guys what you think and if i should tweak anything thanks

Monday Bench-
(Rotating Lifts)- Bench, Incline, Close Grip
(Rotating Lifts)- Floor Press, Lockouts, DB Press
Skull Crushers (Flat or Inclined)
Dips
Pec Deck or Flys

Tuesday Back-
(Rotating Lifts Each Week) Deads-
Week 1 -Rack pulls (Below Knees)
Week 2- Trap bar- standing on 3 inch box
Week 3- Deadlifts for reps for set time (60-90 seconds). After an adequate warm-up, do one all out set.
Week 4- No deadlift
Week 5- Conventional deadlift - work up to new 1RM and then drop weight 20% and hit one all out set .
Week 6 - 18 inch deadlift – work up to new 3RM.
Week 7- Farmers Handle Deads 6-8 Reps
Week 8 - No deadlift
Week 9- Try For New Dead PR

Rows-
(Rotating Lifts Every Other Week)
Cable Rows, Incline Rows, Pendlay Rows
Pull ups, Lat Pulls (with various attachments Switch Every other Week)
Back Extensions
Abs
Wednesday- Off Rest/Active Recovery

Thursday- Overhead Pressing
(Rotating Lifts Each Week)
Military Press, DB Shoulder Press, Axle Press, Log Press, Seated Machine Press
Seated Rear Delt Raises, Face Pulls
Tricep Pushdowns (Moderate Weight)
Alt curls

Friday- Legs
(Rotating Lifts Each Week)
Week 1-Box Squat
Week 2-Safety Squats
Week 3-Cambered Squats
Week 4- Max squat- work up to a max triple or single
Week 5-Box Squats
Week 6- Safety Squats
Week 7- Cambered Squats
Week 8- OFF
Week 9-Try For New Pr

Goodmornings, Leg Press

Ham Curls, Smith Machine lunges
One Leg Extensions
Calf Raises

Saturday – Strongman Events ( not a 100% sure how I want to or should work this yet)

Sunday –off

Bosshogg300
05-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Also i am trying to figure how i want to set up my rep ranges for Assistance work and Main lifts