PDA

View Full Version : Benching form question.

headache
05-16-2011, 03:44 PM
I've been watching the dave tate benching videos for a while now trying to get my form down correctly. The only spot im hung up on is are you supposed to have your ass on the bench or up off of it when driving your heels. I honestly cant figure it out its hard to tell, he'll say hips down but it looks like hes off of it. Deffinetly need some help to get it right.

SELK
05-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Your ass should not leave the bench, if it does the lift is not going to count in a contest. You should be driving with your feel and pushing your traps back into the bench.

bighollow99
05-16-2011, 05:45 PM
agree. if you keep your ass down you will not arc the back as much. proper forum is key - good on you for trying to achieve it

Brian Hopper
05-16-2011, 08:03 PM
are you supposed to have your ass on the bench
Yep, make sure you keep that ass glued to the bench or you will get a red light.

headache
05-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Ok because i pull myself through with my back arched and i do my best to keep my ass down i gotta work on that for sure thanks guys

Travis Bell
05-17-2011, 11:32 AM
It's a flexibility issue. Keep working on lower back and hip flexibility and pushing your hips up and back hard. It'll come

theBarzeen
05-17-2011, 12:42 PM
the leg drive isn't driving your hips up toward the ceiling, but rather driving your hips toward your head, pushing your belly up.

akick
05-17-2011, 02:38 PM
the leg drive isn't driving your hips up toward the ceiling, but rather driving your hips toward your head, pushing your belly up.

I know your technique is solid, so I'm not questioning it, but I may have something to add.

I find that when I try to drive my hips toward my head, I tend to have the bar drift toward my face and I lose my pressing power.

For me, I have to chock my feet way back and underneath my butt, which allows me to drive my hips up toward the ceiling but prevents my butt from actually leaving the bench. I find this works better for me.

I'm not arguing with your point, but perhaps adding another. Maybe my technique is off?

SplitQuick
05-17-2011, 02:56 PM
This is a lot of the reason why I switched my bench to flat-footed. I feel like I definitely lost some weight on the bar but my form and stability is A TON better.

I used to bench on my toes but I kept pulling muscles in my back on heavier sets. After switching to flat-foot I feel I have a ton more side-to-side stability and my arch isn't as big, but it just feels better for me.