PDA

View Full Version : Power racks

Brian Hopper
05-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Hey guys, I am thinking about buying some equipment for the garage and I was going to start off with buying a rack. I was wondeing if anybody has bought stuff from New York Barbell before and what they thought about there equipment. I do understand that there stuff is cheap. I just want to buy a good power rack that will be able to handle a good amount of weight. Especially for squats, chains suspended gm's and some rack pulls.

Here is their basic rack that I was looking at:
http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html

Any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated, THANKS!!!

MarcusWild
05-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Have you checked craigslist? You can save a lot plus you don't pay shipping. I found a power tec rack on there. They say it's rated to 1500 lbs (not sure I buy that claim), but we've been beating the crap out of it for over 2 years. It has plate loaded lat pull and seated row, pull up bar, and dip handles.

Brian Hopper
05-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Have you checked craigslist? You can save a lot plus you don't pay shipping. I found a power tec rack on there. They say it's rated to 1500 lbs (not sure I buy that claim), but we've been beating the crap out of it for over 2 years. It has plate loaded lat pull and seated row, pull up bar, and dip handles.

No, I haven't check their yet. Is that the white rack you have by the roll up door?

I probably won't be training in my garage full time, I just want to have stuff just in case.

Mark!
05-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Brian, that's the exact rack I bought and love it. It was a PITA getting it and getting a replacement piece, but as long as their shipping doesn't eff things up like they did with mine, you should be good to go. I had bolts trailing to my doorstep from the curb, boxes were completely screwed up, not even considered boxes anymore. UPS TRIED to tape things back up, but failed. I called NYBB several times, and eventually talked to the head honcho, and he made everything all better, send out my replacement part that got bent 2 day shipping.

I love the rack, it's been great. I am thinking about purchasing the lat tower for it though. I am all for craigslist, if you can find what you want from there, grab it.

Brian Hopper
05-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Brian, that's the exact rack I bought and love it. It was a PITA getting it and getting a replacement piece, but as long as their shipping doesn't eff things up like they did with mine, you should be good to go. I had bolts trailing to my doorstep from the curb, boxes were completely screwed up, not even considered boxes anymore. UPS TRIED to tape things back up, but failed. I called NYBB several times, and eventually talked to the head honcho, and he made everything all better, send out my replacement part that got bent 2 day shipping.

I love the rack, it's been great. I am thinking about purchasing the lat tower for it though. I am all for craigslist, if you can find what you want from there, grab it.

Did the package get all torn up from UPS? I would hate to deal with something like that. But i'm glad you like it, because I am really leaning towards getting that one. I am still looking around though. Thanks!!!

MarcusWild
05-16-2011, 10:21 PM
No, it's the black one that's by itself. I bought the mono attachment from Crepinsek and put that in it. The white one is an Elite econo rack. It doesn't have band pegs. The power tec is an older version of this:

http://www.powertecfitness.com/product.php?id=workbench-power-rack

I paid $400 for it used with the lat tower. I didn't get the bench, but it came with a bunch of attachments for the seated row and lat tower.

Mark!
05-16-2011, 10:32 PM
I wish I could have just gotten an Elite FTS rack with pegs and the whole enchillada, but that wasn't possible. UPS tore my package up, but after talking to a few folks at NYBB, they finally got the story right, I honestly lean towards miscommunication between the sales guy I talked to, and the warehouse, because 1 week went by with no shipping or anything, I called, and the boss man got on the phone and said he wasn't about to ship the wrong package, and needed to clarify which one I got, which one I needed, and it got there quickly. For band pegs, I was told c-clamps work decently. Gonna pick some up, along with some plywood and another horse stall mat for a platform. It's decently heavy, but if it was bolted down, sucker wouldn't budge at all. It's held 555 on the safety pins, and on the J hooks without a problem.

Brian Hopper
05-16-2011, 11:02 PM
No, it's the black one that's by itself. I bought the mono attachment from Crepinsek and put that in it. The white one is an Elite econo rack. It doesn't have band pegs. The power tec is an older version of this:

I paid $400 for it used with the lat tower. I didn't get the bench, but it came with a bunch of attachments for the seated row and lat tower.

Oh ok, I was looking at those earlier as well. There are so many to choose from. I just don't want to get something that's too cheap and not able to handle the abuse.

Brian Hopper
05-16-2011, 11:03 PM

Oh ok, I was looking at those earlier as well. There are so many to choose from. I just don't want to get something that's too cheap and not able to handle the abuse.

byronsru24
05-17-2011, 01:06 AM
Brian, a buddy of mine who lives out in Vegas now has his own company building strength equipment including racks. Stuff is built to last, and I'm sure he'd cut you a good deal. Their website is getting totally redone, but you can still shoot him an email. Tell him Brian sent ya.

http://str2.com/our-company/contact-us/

blong
05-17-2011, 04:22 AM
I'm all for the Craigslist route, you can always customize a rack (adding band pegs and monorack attachments) and save big time on the shipping. My power rack is a cheap $300 Iron King purchased from ebay rated at 1500lb and I have abused it for about 4 years now with no problems. I made my mono rack attachment from a smith machine bar and welded the j-hooks and swing arm on, I have had up to 700-725 on it so far and no signs of fatigue yet. Hanging chains from the chin-up bar of the power rack plus the safety pins are great for someone who trains alone alot.

I would stay away from New York Barbells so called power bars which are rated for 1500 lb, the flex at around 650 is pretty bad making it difficult to rack.

f=ma
05-17-2011, 05:48 AM
friend of mine has a rogue R4 in her garage. its sick, easily the nicest rack ive ever used.

Tom Mutaffis
05-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Hey guys, I am thinking about buying some equipment for the garage and I was going to start off with buying a rack. I was wondeing if anybody has bought stuff from New York Barbell before and what they thought about there equipment. I do understand that there stuff is cheap. I just want to buy a good power rack that will be able to handle a good amount of weight. Especially for squats, chains suspended gm's and some rack pulls.

Here is their basic rack that I was looking at:
http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html

Any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated, THANKS!!!

I would definitely look for a second hand rack, it will save you a considerable amount of money plus you can save on tax/shipping if you purchase through Craigslist.

If you are looking for a good home gym rack that you can purchase new they I would check out the PowerLine rack. This is the rack that I have and I have been pleased with it; have had it for 5+ years.

StLRPh
05-17-2011, 08:27 AM

This is the rack I have, I really like it. I didn't get the lat tower but did get it new and delivered for $400.

AdamBAG
05-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Brian, you should shoot my training partner Scott an email. www.snpequipment.com

I have one of his racks in my garage and Scott build about 50% of the equipment at BAG himself. He will do it custom as far as band pegs, pull up bars, paint color etc.

Sometimes he has Texas Power Bars cheap as well (only picks them up if he can get them cheap, so not always in stock).

He can usually get you a good deal on shipping too.

I would at least send him and email with what you want and see if the cost would be right for you.

Brian Hopper
05-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Brian, a buddy of mine who lives out in Vegas now has his own company building strength equipment including racks. Stuff is built to last, and I'm sure he'd cut you a good deal. Their website is getting totally redone, but you can still shoot him an email. Tell him Brian sent ya.

http://str2.com/our-company/contact-us/
Ok, thanks alot. i'll look into them.

I'm all for the Craigslist route, you can always customize a rack (adding band pegs and monorack attachments) and save big time on the shipping. My power rack is a cheap $300 Iron King purchased from ebay rated at 1500lb and I have abused it for about 4 years now with no problems. I made my mono rack attachment from a smith machine bar and welded the j-hooks and swing arm on, I have had up to 700-725 on it so far and no signs of fatigue yet. Hanging chains from the chin-up bar of the power rack plus the safety pins are great for someone who trains alone alot.

I would stay away from New York Barbells so called power bars which are rated for 1500 lb, the flex at around 650 is pretty bad making it difficult to rack.
Thanks alot blong for the advice!!!

friend of mine has a rogue R4 in her garage. its sick, easily the nicest rack ive ever used.
Thanks f=ma, I forgot about rouge. Our local Gold's has some of there equipment, really nice stuff.

I would definitely look for a second hand rack, it will save you a considerable amount of money plus you can save on tax/shipping if you purchase through Craigslist.

If you are looking for a good home gym rack that you can purchase new they I would check out the PowerLine rack. This is the rack that I have and I have been pleased with it; have had it for 5+ years.
Thanks Tom, so far I looked in my area and didn't see one. I'm going to look a little further away towards the bay area and see what I find. I'll also check out Powerline racks.

This is the rack I have, I really like it. I didn't get the lat tower but did get it new and delivered for $400.
This rack does have my attention :)

Brian Hopper
05-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Brian, you should shoot my training partner Scott an email. www.snpequipment.com

I have one of his racks in my garage and Scott build about 50% of the equipment at BAG himself. He will do it custom as far as band pegs, pull up bars, paint color etc.

Sometimes he has Texas Power Bars cheap as well (only picks them up if he can get them cheap, so not always in stock).

He can usually get you a good deal on shipping too.

I would at least send him and email with what you want and see if the cost would be right for you.

Thanks alot Adam, i'll add them to the list.

StLRPh
05-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks alot Adam, i'll add them to the list.

I have a bench Scott made and I love it.

theBarzeen
05-17-2011, 12:47 PM
+1 for craigslist.

I just passed on a full set of dumbbells 5-95 lbs and a rack for $800

a training partner just outfitted his whole damn garage for $850, power rack, 2 bars, 550lbs of plates AND a dumbbell set to 65#

Brian Hopper
05-17-2011, 02:06 PM
+1 for craigslist.

I just passed on a full set of dumbbells 5-95 lbs and a rack for $800

a training partner just outfitted his whole damn garage for $850, power rack, 2 bars, 550lbs of plates AND a dumbbell set to 65#

Damn, your partner made out with a good deal.

Bosshogg300
05-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Brian yea I have two racks I bought from new york barbell, there equipment is good quality and I have also bought a competition bench from them I have personally been to the company to pick up equipment and have talked to the designer of the weight equipment

Bosshogg300
05-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Also it is easy to put together

Brian Hopper
05-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Brian yea I have two racks I bought from new york barbell, there equipment is good quality and I have also bought a competition bench from them I have personally been to the company to pick up equipment and have talked to the designer of the weight equipment

Also it is easy to put together

Thanks for the input!!!

StLRPh
05-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Brian,
Check out post #25 on this thread:
http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/showthread.php?p=359381#post359381

Sounds like a good deal for a very nice rack. I've e-chatted with Ken a few times and seems like a good guy and he could use the work

Brian Hopper
05-18-2011, 01:35 PM
That should look nice when it's complete

Tim K
05-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Brian, I bought my rack from Total Strength and Speed (http://www.totalstrengthandspeed.com/) (Fat Bars and/or Williams Strength) in Columbia, SC. They are the contractor that builds racks for EliteFTS. Call them up and see if they have any demo or used racks for sale. That is how I picked mine up for about half price.

cic
05-21-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm liking this one. http://www.westside-barbell.com/products/index.php?c=7&p=300
Seems like a good price on a great rack!

mastermonster
05-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Hey Brian! I jumped to the end so this one may have been mentioned. But we bought a power rack for 'Monster Barbell' about a year and a half ago and we're very pleased with it. Especially for the price. I bought it on the web and it shipped free if that's still out there. It'a a Powertec rack. It was 475.00 and free S&H. I've seen it listed on several site and rated at 1500 lbs. cap. on some and 1000 on others. We bench out of it, do rack pulls, and before we got our monolift; squatted out of it with no problems. The rack price is cheap, but the rack is quite solid!

SEOINAGE
05-22-2011, 03:11 PM
I am honestly wishing I could move my power rack as it must be bolted down. Would like to do cleans and such on the platform.

Brian Hopper
05-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Hey Brian! I jumped to the end so this one may have been mentioned. But we bought a power rack for 'Monster Barbell' about a year and a half ago and we're very pleased with it. Especially for the price. I bought it on the web and it shipped free if that's still out there. It'a a Powertec rack. It was 475.00 and free S&H. I've seen it listed on several site and rated at 1500 lbs. cap. on some and 1000 on others. We bench out of it, do rack pulls, and before we got our monolift; squatted out of it with no problems. The rack price is cheap, but the rack is quite solid!

I've been looking at some Powertec racks. Theres a place in Orlando that sells new and used gym equipment and they have one brand new for $499. So right now I have been very interested in getting one, but I'm still looking since i'm not really ready to buy one yet. I'm still trying to clean out my garage :(

Brian Hopper
05-22-2011, 07:45 PM
I'm liking this one. http://www.westside-barbell.com/products/index.php?c=7&p=300
Seems like a good price on a great rack!

I've been looking at that one also. I really like this rack since it has the one inch spacing.

Mark!
05-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Damn if I would have seen that westside rack, likely the one I would have picked up. That's a nice rack right there. Big and wide, with band pegs.

Brian Hopper
05-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Damn if I would have seen that westside rack, likely the one I would have picked up. That's a nice rack right there. Big and wide, with band pegs.

I am really interested in this rack. Mark, I don't think it's that wide. I believe it's 30" deep and 43" wide. The picture makes it look wider then it is. Either way it's a nice ass rack. I also think that Rouge Fitness makes the rack for them. We have some Rouge racks at one of our local Gold's Gym and it's super nice. That's whats helping me sell it to the wife :) The good thing is, shes understanding so she gets it.

SELK
05-23-2011, 03:58 AM
The good thing is, shes understanding so she gets it.

Thats really the key.. my long term girlfriend bought me a monolift for my birthday! :clap:

Brian Hopper
05-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Thats really the key.. my long term girlfriend bought me a monolift for my birthday! :clap:

Now that's awesome!!!

shocker4221
05-23-2011, 09:16 PM
I've been looking at some Powertec racks. Theres a place in Orlando that sells new and used gym equipment and they have one brand new for $499. So right now I have been very interested in getting one, but I'm still looking since i'm not really ready to buy one yet. I'm still trying to clean out my garage :(

where's that place in Orlando? Do they have a web site?

shocker4221
05-23-2011, 09:19 PM

You should keep your relationship the way it is then cause I can only get a dumb bell out of my wife.

johnnyo_99
05-24-2011, 06:47 AM
i have a newyorkbarbells 3x3 rack. the price was very good and assembly was fairly easy (i could do it by myself). however, there are many features that I wish that this rack had - looking back I wish I would have spent double the money and got a crepinsek or elite rack. but in the end it serves its purpose, can't go wrong with any of the racks mentioned.

obvisouly i will plug craigslist as well, I've gotten a lot of stuff off there for cheapo.

ScottYard
05-24-2011, 03:00 PM
I bought a plate loaded lat pulldown from them 10 years ago. it has held up fine.

4g64fiero
05-24-2011, 03:26 PM

X2

You should keep your relationship the way it is then cause I can only get a dumb bell out of my wife.

New meaning to shocker right thar.:evillaugh:

Brian Hopper
05-24-2011, 06:59 PM

www.fitnessequip4u.com

It's in Casselberry

Brian Hopper
05-24-2011, 07:00 PM
I bought a plate loaded lat pulldown from them 10 years ago. it has held up fine.

I'm wanting to eventually buy one of those also, so i'll look into that one as well.

Brian Hopper
05-24-2011, 07:01 PM
i have a newyorkbarbells 3x3 rack. the price was very good and assembly was fairly easy (i could do it by myself). however, there are many features that I wish that this rack had - looking back I wish I would have spent double the money and got a crepinsek or elite rack. but in the end it serves its purpose, can't go wrong with any of the racks mentioned.

obvisouly i will plug craigslist as well, I've gotten a lot of stuff off there for cheapo.

I would like to get a crepinsek, but for that much money I would rather just buy a monolift.

shocker4221
05-24-2011, 08:03 PM
X2

New meaning to shocker right thar.:evillaugh:

I'm glad somebody got that

gmen5681
05-25-2011, 05:42 AM
not sure if it has been suggest yet but check out texas strength systems. their stuff is legit and at great prices too. they make some awesome ghr/reverse hyper combo unit, and a 45 bench/chest supported row unit.
www.texasstrengthsystems.com

Brian Hopper
05-25-2011, 06:22 AM
not sure if it has been suggest yet but check out texas strength systems. their stuff is legit and at great prices too. they make some awesome ghr/reverse hyper combo unit, and a 45 bench/chest supported row unit.
www.texasstrengthsystems.com

Thanks, I've been looking at some of there stuff. They seem to make some nice equipment.

gmen5681
05-25-2011, 07:23 AM
Thanks, I've been looking at some of there stuff. They seem to make some nice equipment.

they def. do. and they gave me a "bulk discount" basically giving me a free rack w/ band pegs, weight storage, and 1" hole spacing.

Brian Hopper
05-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Brian: I had mine made back in 83' and is still doing well in my Man Cave.

I guess this was before they could be bought commercially. I drew up some plans of what I wanted in my power rack, took it to a local welder/contractor and had it made.

Rack is 48" square, 7' tall 3" channel iron with 3/4" holes drilled in the uprights every 2". Has a chinning bar going across the top. On the back 2 uprights, I added a steal plate with 6" steel pins through 2- 3'4" holes drilled approximately 24" apart and made a dipping station. I added a pull down, tricep extension station by bolting on pully-wheels on the tops of the 3" channel iron top. Also made it where the 4 vertical uprights could be removed from the top and bottom base for easily assembly. Cost me then $200.00

Had a student in the welding class at the school where I teach make me a variety of pull down, tricep extension, rowing bars to use. Hell, he even made me 2 weight trees. Gave him $20. and he was good.

When I get home from school today, I'll try and take a picture of it.

Something to "chew" on.

Cary

That's pretty cool, sounds like a solid rack. I would like to see the pictures if you could post them up...maybe give me some ideas.