PDA

View Full Version : 5/3/1 for Powerlifting is (finally) out!

StLRPh
05-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Just saw this posted:
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=145966&tid=

Glad it's here and it's well priced too

Brian Hopper
05-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Haha, you beat me to it. LOL

StLRPh
05-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Haha, you beat me to it. LOL

slow day at work :clown:

Brian Hopper
05-17-2011, 12:33 PM
slow day at work :clown:

I just bought it :)

StLRPh
05-17-2011, 12:39 PM
I just bought it :)

my only question is did he switch the weeks out so that you do it 3/5/1?

Brian Hopper
05-17-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure yet, i'm printing it out right now.

Brian Hopper
05-17-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm not sure yet, i'm printing it out right now.

cancel that, I just ran out of ink :mad::mad::mad:

But I did go through it and he does talk about 3/5/1. I'm not sure yet, if that's the main setup but he does talk about it. I don't have time to read it right now but I will as soon as I can.

IronDiggy
05-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Awwe man $20!? Anyone know where I can download it for free?????///

...I'll be buying it as soon as I get home.

barryisawinnah
05-17-2011, 02:06 PM
I heard some rumors about a 5/3/1 for Strongman, has anybody heard if that's actually in the plans?

StLRPh
05-17-2011, 02:08 PM
I heard some rumors about a 5/3/1 for Strongman, has anybody heard if that's actually in the plans?

CJ Murphy mentioned it a long time ago on EliteFTS but I'm fairly certain he shelved the idea.

edit: can't find the post and he may still be doing it. Best thing is to ask Murph via the Q&A

Brian Hopper
05-17-2011, 02:09 PM

I haven't heard anything, but I don't see why you couldn't.

Brian Hopper
05-17-2011, 02:10 PM
CJ Murphy mentioned it a long time ago on EliteFTS but I'm fairly certain he shelved the idea.

Damn your fast :)

StLRPh
05-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Damn your fast :)

like I said slow work day :hello:

barryisawinnah
05-17-2011, 02:20 PM

edit: can't find the post and he may still be doing it. Best thing is to ask Murph via the Q&A

gotcha

thanks

Brian Hopper
05-17-2011, 07:40 PM
I just browsed through the book and even though some of it is similar to the first one, I really like this one better. He really went into detail on alot of things, and showed how to use 3/5/1 to get ready for a meet. Jim also went into detail about geared lifting and meet prep for geared lifters as well, such as circa max training. If there are any 5/3/1 fans, then I highly recommend buying this book.

barryisawinnah
05-17-2011, 07:46 PM
yeah even though I'm not a powerlifter (although stepping on that platform isn't out of the question) I think I'll probably buy this one too.

covpride
05-17-2011, 08:09 PM
I just read through a good portion of it at work today. Just in time for the meet in August too. Going to finish my current cycle of 531, run one more cycle, then do the 351 schemes he has up to the meet. Seems like it should be pretty solid and have me ready to hit the numbers I want to hit in August.

Cary Pond
05-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Will the 5/3/1 work for the Bench Press only ? Due to an artificial hip implant, I cannot do squats or deadlifts anymore.

My bench is somewhat respectable, 370 raw at 210 Bd. Wt. at 50 yrs. old.

Thanks

Cary

Brian Hopper
05-18-2011, 09:03 AM
Will the 5/3/1 work for the Bench Press only ? Due to an artificial hip implant, I cannot do squats or deadlifts anymore.

My bench is somewhat respectable, 370 raw at 210 Bd. Wt. at 50 yrs. old.

Thanks

Cary

Yes, it will work for just your bench press.

Cary Pond
05-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks Brian......That's just what I wanted to hear and will be ordering the book as well. Do you get a hard copy ? or do you download ?

Brian Hopper
05-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks Brian......That's just what I wanted to hear and will be ordering the book as well. Do you get a hard copy ? or do you download ?

Your welcome.....I think it's only available by download (E-Book).

StLRPh
05-18-2011, 09:18 AM
It's only available as an Ebook currently.

If you do a little searching here at WBB you'll find a spreadsheet I made a while ago that includes the 3/5/1 with singles version (and the original 5/3/1). Not sure if it matches the new book (I made the spreadsheet >1yr ago) but it should be very close, if not the same.

SplitQuick
05-18-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm on my 5th cycle of 5/3/1 boring but big. I'll definitely have to pick this up.

Brian Hopper
05-18-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm on my 5th cycle of 5/3/1 boring but big. I'll definitely have to pick this up.

Do it, well worth it :)

jkstrength
05-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Love it. Great book.

Brian C
05-18-2011, 02:48 PM
I loved 531 for pulling and raw squatting, but I didnt really have success with benching. But still I will purchase the pl version and check it out. For 20 bucks, its worth just the meet prep alone.

LouPac
05-19-2011, 03:58 AM
I loved 531 for pulling and raw squatting, but I didnt really have success with benching. But still I will purchase the pl version and check it out. For 20 bucks, its worth just the meet prep alone.

Strangely I've had the same results.

Can anyone tell me the percentages he has for the singles? I plan to pick this up real soon.

GazzyG
05-19-2011, 04:28 AM
What level of lifter is it aimed at? Just big guys like you, Brian, or can people like me who're still getting newbie gains get any benefit from it?

Brian Hopper
05-19-2011, 05:14 AM
What level of lifter is it aimed at? Just big guys like you, Brian, or can people like me who're still getting newbie gains get any benefit from it?

Whats great about this program is, it's very simple to follow and it's designed for anybody. It doesn't matter how strong you are. If you know how to squat-bench-and deadlift then you can do it.

CrazyEyesPat
05-19-2011, 06:22 AM

tbh i'd say 5/3/1 would benefit a newer lifter a LOT more than a very experienced lifter. imho the more experienced lifters do better w/ the conjugate system... especially if said lifter is equipped.

GazzyG
05-19-2011, 06:31 AM
Hmm, it sounds interesting. The only thing holding me back is that a lot of people say that progress is slow on 5/3/1

I just want to switch to something a bit more 'powerlifty.' I'm on HCT-12 atm and whilst I'm still making progress on it, I'm not sure whether it's the optimal routine for the run up to a competition. If I can get better strength gains from buying and following this program, I'd do it.

StLRPh
05-19-2011, 06:54 AM
I don't think that it's slow necessarily but it is more effective if you do it for a long time (>6 months). People equate adding 5lb/month with it being slow but you're going to near failure with every session and you can adjust your volume by manipulating your accessory work. A very simple and effective way to start would be 5/3/1 with boring but big accessory work.

barryisawinnah
05-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Does he talk about overhead press at all in this one?

KoSh
05-19-2011, 10:33 AM
I have the one for football and the first 5/3/1... Liked 'em both but they were extremely similar. It sounds to me like this one is the same thing except with the 3/5/1 concept involved and more geared towards, well, gear.

Not sure if I'll be picking it up, but I'm glad people are supporting Wendler.

Brian Hopper
05-19-2011, 11:31 AM
tbh i'd say 5/3/1 would benefit a newer lifter a LOT more than a very experienced lifter. imho the more experienced lifters do better w/ the conjugate system... especially if said lifter is equipped.

I agree and disagree....

I do believe a new lifter will see some bigger gains then someone whos been training for awhile. But a new lifter will pretty much make gains do any program. I consider my self an experienced lifter and I made some good gains doing 5/3/1 and when I was training in gear, I made great gains using a WSB template. This is just speaking from my experience.

rockofages
05-19-2011, 11:31 AM
I think he did a great job with this book. It was well thought out. There are a few different templates and I love the break downs of them. What I also like is the talk of lifting with gear in this book. He explains how to prepare and lift in gear and also the fact there is a template for the geared lifter.

Brian Hopper
05-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Hmm, it sounds interesting. The only thing holding me back is that a lot of people say that progress is slow on 5/3/1

This was taken out of his book:

Progress Slowly

This goes hand in hand with starting light. Slow progress might not get you the best
rewards today, but it will tomorrow. The longer you can progress, even if its by one rep
or 2.5 pounds, the more it means that youre actually making progress. People always
scoff when I want their bench to go up by 20-25 pounds their first year. They want the
program that will put 40 pounds on their bench in 8 weeks. When they say this, I ask
them how much their bench went up in the last year, and they hang their heads in
shame. I cant understand why someone wouldnt want progress even its just 5
pounds. Its better than nothing. Its progress.

The game of lifting isnt an 8-week pursuit. It doesnt last as long as your latest program
does. Rather, its a lifetime pursuit. If you understand this, then progressing slowly isnt
a big deal. In fact, this can be a huge weight lifted off your back. Now you can focus on
getting those 5 extra pounds rather than 50.

Its always been one of my goals to standing press 300 pounds. In the summer of 2008,
I did just that. When someone asked me what my next goal was, my response was
simple: ―305 pounds.‖ If you bench press 225 pounds and want to get 275, you have to
bench 230 first.

Brian Hopper
05-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Does he talk about overhead press at all in this one?

Yes he does, he talks about the squat-bench-deadlift-standing military press.

Brian Hopper
05-19-2011, 11:40 AM
What I also like is the talk of lifting with gear in this book. He explains how to prepare and lift in gear and also the fact there is a template for the geared lifter.

That's exaclty why I like it, because one day I do plan on getting back in gear and this is a template I would like to try.

SplitQuick
05-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Hey figured I'd pop in. Saw some people saying progress is slow on 5/3/1, and it's crappy for bench, etc.

I know different people have different results. But here is my quick breakdown based off my last max effort sets on my personal spreadsheet. I've had great progress with this program and wouldn't second-guess anything they say after using the program. Take it for what it's worth, but I started 5/3/1 on 1/17 of this year and I think my progress has been anything but slow and I was prepared for it to be slow and I was ok with that.

Brian Hopper
05-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Good job on the progress!!!

KoSh
05-19-2011, 02:12 PM
I was kinda thinkin about going with 5/3/1 for my dead lift and squat and keep juggernaut for the bench/military...

I had no progress on squat over the 16 week juggernaut cycle... I had decent progress on dead lift and great progress on bench and military press.

Anyone have any opinions on that?

C...unit
05-19-2011, 03:15 PM
I agree and disagree....

I do believe a new lifter will see some bigger gains then someone whos been training for awhile. But a new lifter will pretty much make gains do any program. I consider my self an experienced lifter and I made some good gains doing 5/3/1 and when I was training in gear, I made great gains using a WSB template. This is just speaking from my experience.

Would you suggest 5 3 1 for raw lifters and wsb for geared lifters? I spent close to a year using conjugate method as a raw lifter coming from the 5 3 1 system and honestly I havent experiance great gains using wsb. I am geared up now and im hoping to see better gains using westside method than I did as a raw lifter.

joey54
05-19-2011, 03:16 PM
I was kinda thinkin about going with 5/3/1 for my dead lift and squat and keep juggernaut for the bench/military...

I had no progress on squat over the 16 week juggernaut cycle... I had decent progress on dead lift and great progress on bench and military press.

Anyone have any opinions on that?

I am just starting the realization week of the 10's today and have already thought of doing exactly what you are thinking. I want to run this through first, but in the future, that may be the way I go.

CrazyEyesPat
05-19-2011, 06:01 PM
I agree and disagree....

great point. variety is most likely king. regardless the program-- intensity, food, rest, is truly what's most important.

Brian Hopper
05-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Would you suggest 5 3 1 for raw lifters and wsb for geared lifters? I spent close to a year using conjugate method as a raw lifter coming from the 5 3 1 system and honestly I havent experiance great gains using wsb. I am geared up now and im hoping to see better gains using westside method than I did as a raw lifter.

Not at all, I think a raw lifter can do what ever program is best for them and same for geared lifters. I tried a conjugate method for my raw training but I gave up on it before I noticed any gains. That was all on me and not the program.

IMO, a year is a long time and if you didn't notice any gains then maybe that program isn't best for you. I would suggest maybe going back to 5/3/1, but how did the program work for you in the past as a raw lifter?

C...unit
05-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Not at all, I think a raw lifter can do what ever program is best for them and same for geared lifters. I tried a conjugate method for my raw training but I gave up on it before I noticed any gains. That was all on me and not the program.

IMO, a year is a long time and if you didn't notice any gains then maybe that program isn't best for you. I would suggest maybe going back to 5/3/1, but how did the program work for you in the past as a raw lifter?

I saw my best gains ever as a raw lifter using 5 3 1. I must admit I like conjugate method much better much more variety. I am going to try and use one of the new circa max cycles in the new book leading up to my nest meet.

barryisawinnah
05-19-2011, 11:09 PM
I used to think that 5/3/1 looked boring, but after doing it for 2 cycles now, I love it. I love the challenge of setting a rep PR so frequently

barryisawinnah
05-19-2011, 11:11 PM
Yes he does, he talks about the squat-bench-deadlift-standing military press.

Thanks, I figured he did, but thought maybe he might of dropped the overhead shit for powerlifting. (since I am an amateur strongman, I obviously have overhead as an important lift, lol.

275plus
05-20-2011, 02:25 AM
Hey all

Is the 5/3/1 program useful for 'assisted' lifters?

I am still using linear progression with success (partly due to 'assistance I assume) , 1RM raw maxs are 405bench, 600deadlift and 500squat.

Thanks in advance

Cary Pond
05-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Got it.....Bought it.....and am adapting to a bench only. Boy, do I miss the days of squatting..... Always like the hard workouts and the way you felt afterwards......

Cary

Brian Hopper
05-20-2011, 04:04 PM
I saw my best gains ever as a raw lifter using 5 3 1. I must admit I like conjugate method much better much more variety. I am going to try and use one of the new circa max cycles in the new book leading up to my nest meet.

That's awesome, then I would suggest going back to 5/3/1 if you ever decide to go back to raw lifting since it worked for you. But I would still stick with the conjugate method and see if it works for you while your training in gear.

Brian Hopper
05-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Hey all

Is the 5/3/1 program useful for 'assisted' lifters?

I am still using linear progression with success (partly due to 'assistance I assume) , 1RM raw maxs are 405bench, 600deadlift and 500squat.

Thanks in advance

If you mean powerlifting gear then yes you can. That's one of the new things he talked about in this new book.

barryisawinnah
05-20-2011, 11:14 PM
If you mean powerlifting gear then yes you can. That's one of the new things he talked about in this new book.

I'm pretty sure he means with Vitamin T if you catch my drift.

I think it will still be fine, you just might want to modify the deload week.

275plus
05-21-2011, 06:21 AM
I'm pretty sure he means with Vitamin T if you catch my drift.

I think it will still be fine, you just might want to modify the deload week.

Thanks for the reply, Vitamin T is what I meant :) I am thinking I could just remove the deload week?

Cheers

barryisawinnah
05-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the reply, Vitamin T is what I meant :) I am thinking I could just remove the deload week?

Cheers

yeah I would probably do something like that, then kind of take the deload by feel. Like if you start to feel beat up then take a deload.

xolix
05-23-2011, 01:09 PM
yo book is nice ! but i am confused where is all the intensity which is important to make gains (like prilipins-chart 3 or more reps at 90+ % of true max for example )?? you know what i mean ? he write just do the required reps and 2 singles (no more than 95 % on last single) on his 3/5/1 example ,or what is wrong to try a rep-PR on the 3x5 week where i not go for singles where he says do only the 5 reps ?
a lot of training UNDER true 90 % without failure ... i know slowly progression , but when i'm going to gym , i will mostly do HARD work with effort .