PDA

View Full Version : Sumo Deadlift problem stalling at the knees.

ThomasG
05-17-2011, 02:25 PM
This is getting frustrating I have the strength to pull more weight but I keep hitting a brick wall at my knees! I dunno if I'm running into them or if that is just my sticking point. I can't feel myself running the bar into my knees but then again at that point my mind is in another world. Input is appreciated, thanks!

Skip to 0:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XwlgoY-bAg

ThomasG
05-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Also you can notice the bar rubs against my knees in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hZIBqxp8u8&feature=player_profilepage

AdamBAG
05-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Your technique looks pretty good.

Are you doing any direct glute work? Like hip thrusts w/ the barbell etc.?

Have you tried working off blocks where the bar starts just below your sticking point?

PaulM
05-17-2011, 03:19 PM
got to get your hips closer to the bar at the start... When you start your pull your hips come up and it puts you in a bad position when your at your knees... Spread your knees hard, Spread the floor with your feet and really pull your hips as close to the bar as possible

Sean S
05-17-2011, 05:36 PM
I don't see any major technical flaws that would be causing a big sticking point. It just looks like 540 was too heavy. The suggestions by Paul M are good and you can work on those things, but I don't know that your technique is so bad that some technical corrections will cause a huge jump in your DL. Nonetheless, we all should strive to perfect our technique, just don't overlook the fact that getting stronger will fix alot of these issues as well.

BloodandThunder
05-17-2011, 06:08 PM
What Paul suggests and starting position and speed. Need to get faster off the floor. You're transferring the load to your back, so some pause squats or dead stop leg presses will help simulate the push off the floor. Block pulls for volume mid-shin level will push your hip-extension up too. 540 should fall pretty fast.

NickAus
05-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Some great advice here.........this is a great site!!

I agree that your technique is good, you have to miss somewhere so maybe you just need to get stronger to pull more if you see my point.

If you did not miss at knees and made the lift then added 25lb you would miss the lift somewhere or else you would just keep adding weight till 1,000.

Block pulls where you handle more than 540 plus speed work from floor should get you right up to 6 plates pretty quick!!

Invain
05-17-2011, 06:43 PM
I have the same problem with both sumo and conventional, I feel like it's mainly hips. Pulling off 6" blocks for a few weeks really helped. If you use the rack set the pins so the bar is right at your sticking point. Pulling from a dead stop at the worst spot of the lift is brutal.

Brian C
05-17-2011, 07:09 PM
got to get your hips closer to the bar at the start... When you start your pull your hips come up and it puts you in a bad position when your at your knees... Spread your knees hard, Spread the floor with your feet and really pull your hips as close to the bar as possible

Totally agree with this. With sumo, you need to have your hips as close as possible to the bar and down, chest up, and pull back. Open up your feet more and spread thos knees. Your a strong mofo tom, you'll hit that in no time.

joey54
05-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Which way are you working your speed pulls right now?