PDA

View Full Version : Advice on how to engage glutes when deadlifting.

imc_1121
05-17-2011, 08:23 PM
When deadlifting, I have problems engaging the glutes and hamstrings, and instead my lower back tends to want to take the whole work. I would appreciate if someone could provide me with cues or advice on how to engage the glutes when deadlifting.

Dan Fanelli
05-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Prior to deadlifting, stretching out the hip flexors and glute activation helps. I always just did glute bridges, and single leg glute bridges as well as hip lifts. From there, you can squeeze your glutes into and at lockout.

Brian Hopper
05-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Just try and remember when you get the bar pass your knees, to squeeze your glutes hard. This sounds stupid but pretend your trying to pinch a quarter between your but cheeks, squeeze like hell :moon: This is how I learned and it worked for me.

ScottYard
05-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Prior to deadlifting, stretching out the hip flexors and glute activation helps. I always just did glute bridges, and single leg glute bridges as well as hip lifts. From there, you can squeeze your glutes into and at lockout.

I agree. Get the hips looser first.

Dan Fanelli
05-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Two other things I forgot to mention that helped me "learn" to use my glutes are Step-downs and pull throughs.

Step downs are basically stepups but you start at the top and focus on a controlled eccentric and then minimal use of the bottom leg. On pullthroughs, you'll be able to squeez your glutes, and dissassociate your lower back from your glutes.

But as Scott suggested you have to losen up your hips first. You should be able to squeeze your glutes standing in place (sorta like a stripper) before you move onto dynamic moves.

NickAus
05-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Arch your back more.

Falcon63
05-18-2011, 08:21 PM
I got the same problem...but when I squeeze my glutes, it doesn't feel like it does anything for my lift, just seems like I'm squeezing my glutes.

Kevin K
05-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Try some stretching and foam rolling. This may sound stupid, but to engage the glutes pretend that when you are pulling the bar you have really bad diarehha. When you are pulling, you squeeze your glutes as hard as you can to prevent a "mess".