PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Kennelly benches 1,210lbs to a 3brd *VIDEO*

Brian Hopper
05-18-2011, 09:15 AM
I just saw this on Powerlifting Watch, I can't believe how easy he handles the weight...

9nQMxvzp6nI

Travis Bell
05-18-2011, 09:46 AM
WOW!!

Looks like he's wearing an Overkill?

Brian Hopper
05-18-2011, 10:10 AM
WOW!!

Looks like he's wearing an Overkill?

I was thinking the same thing, it does look like in OK shirt.

icedutah
05-18-2011, 10:23 AM
He's been in Overkill for a while now. Bombed in a couple meets with it but he will get a big one soon.

joey54
05-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Moved it quick too.

NickAus
05-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Beast!

All the top guys are moving to Overkill :) :)

Lones Green
05-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Looks like the king is back!

blong
05-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Proving there is no limits!

vdizenzo
05-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Beast!

All the top guys are moving to Overkill :) :)

Ugggghhhh

vdizenzo
05-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Ryan is one of the best ever and a complete bencher. It's great to see him back.

NickAus
05-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Ugggghhhh

LMOA.

I knew YOU would bite.

Rob Luyando
05-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Ryan is one of the best ever and a complete bencher. It's great to see him back.

Agreed but why does he do this to me? Just when I think my strength is improving he comes out of the woodwork to make me feel like a little girl. WTF!

Brian Hopper
05-18-2011, 08:21 PM
I just can't get over the thought about holding that much weight in your hands. He did and did it well, lol.

shocker4221
05-18-2011, 09:41 PM
He made that look easy. I can't even imagine the pressure of that.

Mark!
05-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Can I just get a 400lb bench please? Jeez. Made that look easy.

Kevin K
05-19-2011, 07:19 AM
Daaaaamn! It's nice to see him back in a bench shirt again.

Also, you can see the left collar fall off the bar at 0:34.

Falcon63
05-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Just asking, NOT trying to hate, but what's the point of putting boards? I'm not a whole lot into professional powerlifting, I just do it for sports and to get stronger, but doesn't that scratch the lift, and make it so the movement is cut down to a minimum, making it easier? Obviously, I could never even unrack that weight, so don't take it that I'm saying it's not impressive, but what's the point of the boards? I would feel like I was cheating myself if I used wraps/belts/boards/shirts/etc.

StLRPh
05-19-2011, 08:34 AM
If you'd like more info on boards google "Louie Simmons and boards"

vdizenzo
05-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Just asking, NOT trying to hate, but what's the point of putting boards? I'm not a whole lot into professional powerlifting, I just do it for sports and to get stronger, but doesn't that scratch the lift, and make it so the movement is cut down to a minimum, making it easier? Obviously, I could never even unrack that weight, so don't take it that I'm saying it's not impressive, but what's the point of the boards? I would feel like I was cheating myself if I used wraps/belts/boards/shirts/etc.

If you are trying not to hate you should not have stated that you would feel like you were cheating yourself using wraps/belts/boards/shirts/etc. You would have been better off just asking what each were used for. I would have been more inclined to educate you on the matter had you done so.

If you had ever seen Ryan in person, you would certainly not think he was cheating himself.

Rob Luyando
05-19-2011, 08:59 AM

I think I may be qualified to answer this question although I am sure Vincent will disagree. Boards have many purposes. They can be used to save your shoulders from the abuse of going full range in a shirt time and again. They can be used to dial in your weak points in a lift. They can also be used to do overload sets with the idea of moving more weight for a smaller distance. Also the overload sets help increase your lockout power.

As far as boards scratching a lift you have to keep in mind that you will never see boards used on a meet platform. They are merely a training tool. No diferent then using bands or chains. This video was a training session and no claims of a meet lift.

If you feel like you are cheating yourself if you use boards, wraps, or shirts then obviously competitive powerlifting is not for you. Just like any other sport you find ways to improve your strength, speed, and performance. I too was bullheaded at one point in my training career and never used boards, chains, or bands. The only thing I acomplished during that time period was I held myself back. If you want to be truly strong and be able to push your body to the limits you have to be open minded about your training and be willing to push your body to the limits every time you step in the gym and try what ever methods that are available and will work for you.

Hope my reply helps clear some things up for you. Before I started using assitance tools in the gym my best raw bench was 505 lbs and my best shirted bench was 550 lbs. Since learning to to utilize training tools my raw has increased nearly 100 lbs and my shirted bench has increase 400 lbs. You do the math.

Falcon63
05-19-2011, 09:34 AM
I think I may be qualified to answer this question although I am sure Vincent will disagree. Boards have many purposes. They can be used to save your shoulders from the abuse of going full range in a shirt time and again. They can be used to dial in your weak points in a lift. They can also be used to do overload sets with the idea of moving more weight for a smaller distance. Also the overload sets help increase your lockout power.

As far as boards scratching a lift you have to keep in mind that you will never see boards used on a meet platform. They are merely a training tool. No diferent then using bands or chains. This video was a training session and no claims of a meet lift.

If you feel like you are cheating yourself if you use boards, wraps, or shirts then obviously competitive powerlifting is not for you. Just like any other sport you find ways to improve your strength, speed, and performance. I too was bullheaded at one point in my training career and never used boards, chains, or bands. The only thing I acomplished during that time period was I held myself back. If you want to be truly strong and be able to push your body to the limits you have to be open minded about your training and be willing to push your body to the limits every time you step in the gym and try what ever methods that are available and will work for you.

Hope my reply helps clear some things up for you. Before I started using assitance tools in the gym my best raw bench was 505 lbs and my best shirted bench was 550 lbs. Since learning to to utilize training tools my raw has increased nearly 100 lbs and my shirted bench has increase 400 lbs. You do the math.

Thanks.

MNparisect
05-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Absolutley rediculous amount of weight

mastermonster
05-19-2011, 10:32 AM
WoooooW!!!

Brian Hopper
05-19-2011, 11:22 AM

Very well put!!!

Since learning to to utilize training tools my raw has increased nearly 100 lbs and my shirted bench has increase 400 lbsI think this is a good enough answer, lol.

C...unit
05-19-2011, 11:29 AM
That must feel like death in your hands. WOW

robchris
05-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Holy s#@!.... unbelievable!! Ryan is an animal. Good to see him back in a shirt & leave that raw stuff alone...;)

j robinson
05-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Holy s#@!.... unbelievable!! Ryan is an animal. Good to see him back in a shirt & leave that raw stuff alone...;)

I am sorry Rob you are no longer allowed to comment on powerlifting only armwrestling.

kingns
05-26-2011, 12:33 PM
When I see top guys hittin 900+ off a 3 board I am impressed. And then putting 300 more on top of that........

robchris
05-27-2011, 09:26 PM
I am sorry Rob you are no longer allowed to comment on powerlifting only armwrestling.

Ha, touche Jay... at least I'm not a one trick pony, like some guys!! ;)

NickAus
05-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Closed the #3 yet Rob?

torch1980
05-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Pretty impressive

BoAnderson71
05-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Did he have to serve time for the arrest recently? possesion of steroids with the intent to sell or something like that was the charge. Anybody know if he got that all cleared up?

muscle_g
05-30-2011, 07:55 PM
That dude aint human!!!

gmen5681
05-31-2011, 07:02 AM
Did he have to serve time for the arrest recently? possesion of steroids with the intent to sell or something like that was the charge. Anybody know if he got that all cleared up?

wasnt that mendelson?

vdizenzo
05-31-2011, 07:06 AM
Guys, this is not the place for this kind of discussion. This is how rumors get started. Mendy is not involved in this at all. Clearly Ryan is doing fine right now with his lifting. Let's leave it like that.

Jason198
06-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Anyone know when he will compete again..... always gets me pumped up knowing he might set another record... he always hits a big lift! I do not understand how u multi ply guys can handle the weight u all do..... much respect to all of you guys and gals

Dank27
06-25-2011, 10:30 PM
When did he jump ship to overkill?

He is still the man. Scot Mendelson has been doing great things also.