PDA

View Full Version : Westside training question

DetKimble
05-18-2011, 11:16 PM
ive been doing westside for 4 or 5 months now, and ive made great gains.ive added approximately ~75lbs to my squat, ~ 20lbs to my bench and ~40lbs to my deadlift.

my question is, can i do more on my main assistance exercise, and cut out one of the other assistance exercises. ill give an example.

Cambered Bar Box Squat

135 X 5
185 X 3
225 X 3
265 X 1
285 X 1
315 X 1
320 X 1
315 X 1 - removed box, Free Squat

Rack Pulls

405 X 3
420 X 3
425 X 3

Pullthrus

87.5 X 10
95 X 12 X 2

DB Row

120 X 10 X 3

Ab pulldowns

95 X 8 X 5

Hammer curls

40 X 10
50 X 8
55 X 6

- - Could i have done 3 more sets of rack pulls, and removed the pullthrus?? i did pullthus to work on my hams and glutes which can always be improved. could i have just done more sets of rack pulls tho, or if i had been doing RDLs as my main assistance, could i have just done 5-6 sets of those, instead of pullthrus.

or is it more effective to do 3 sets of rack pulls and 3 sets of pulltrhus because it adds variety, a change in how i am hitting my muscle groups?

byronsru24
05-19-2011, 12:20 AM
- - Could i have done 3 more sets of rack pulls, and removed the pullthrus?? i did pullthus to work on my hams and glutes which can always be improved. could i have just done more sets of rack pulls tho, or if i had been doing RDLs as my main assistance, could i have just done 5-6 sets of those, instead of pullthrus.

or is it more effective to do 3 sets of rack pulls and 3 sets of pulltrhus because it adds variety, a change in how i am hitting my muscle groups?

You are over thinking this. Its an assistance exercise. If its not making you stronger then toss it. I've found for MYSELF, that I'd rather do a 2 or 3 "hard" assistance exercises, then 5 or 6 relatively easy ones. But thats me. Key is to not let your assistance exercises impact your main lifts because of the volume or intensity your putting into them.

DetKimble
05-19-2011, 12:36 AM
You are over thinking this. Its an assistance exercise. If its not making you stronger then toss it. I've found for MYSELF, that I'd rather do a 2 or 3 "hard" assistance exercises, then 5 or 6 relatively easy ones. But thats me. Key is to not let your assistance exercises impact your main lifts because of the volume or intensity your putting into them.

good point, i am prob just over thinking it. i guess ill just stick to whats working, and focus on improving my weak points