PDA

View Full Version : Bench issues

C...unit
05-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Im looking for alittle advice I have been having problems lately while shirted pressing especially but its now happening raw as well. I set up squeeze the bar I start my decent and everything seems good but somewhere my wrists are breaking back on me with heavy weight in a shirt its really an issue because the weight just goes flying back over my head and turns into a tricep extension which is where hopefully my spotters save me.

Iv got some of the best wrist wraps out ther metal blacks and apt convicts I have tried everything including a bunch of grip work and I cant seem to figure it out? My goal is to get a shirted press of 600 for a meet in oct and honestly I think im strong enough now or pretty close. If I could fix this issue and its snowballing too Im focusing soo much on that im loosing tightness in my back the whole thing is getting sloppy now. Is it how im holding the bar? week wrists?

drew
05-19-2011, 08:49 AM
I have the same problem.

You want to cast your wrists with the wraps, meaning get your wraps high onto the heel of your hand and as tight as you can. Wrap one time around the wrist with the edge of the wrap right at the crease of your wrist and hand, then next turn should be up so the middle of the wrap is over the crease of your wrist and each turn should be that high.

The other thing to do is try to get the bar further down on your hand (closer to the wrist) when you grip it.

A problem that was just pointed out to me is that when I tuck my elbows, my wrists follow, so that's something else to look for.

Barbaccio
05-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Follow Drew's advice but also learn to "bend the bar" correctly. You're probably attempting to, but you're doing it by using the elbows and your wrist then fall back, When you "bend the bar" use the outside of your hand and this should help keep the bar in the right position in your hand.

blong
05-19-2011, 07:29 PM
I had the same exact problem in a meet of getting "cuffed" and new longer wrist wraps and the techniques of putting them on very much like mentioned earlier cleared my issues up. I like to start off with the wrap high on the heel of the hand and then come lower and then back lower on the heel and the final wrap around the middle (almost like a small X pattern), extremely tight to where you can barely get the thumb loops loose. Not that they are any better but I use Convicts. Hope that all makes sense.

C...unit
05-20-2011, 10:44 AM
I had the same exact problem in a meet of getting "cuffed" and new longer wrist wraps and the techniques of putting them on very much like mentioned earlier cleared my issues up. I like to start off with the wrap high on the heel of the hand and then come lower and then back lower on the heel and the final wrap around the middle (almost like a small X pattern), extremely tight to where you can barely get the thumb loops loose. Not that they are any better but I use Convicts. Hope that all makes sense.

Yeah, Im going to give this a try. I just got some new wraps too inzer z wraps 36 in they seem to be abt the same as the convits in stiffness but with the extra length and materil I can make a solid ass cast haha I am curious to try these out.

theBarzeen
05-20-2011, 09:17 PM
I have the same problem.

You want to cast your wrists with the wraps, meaning get your wraps high onto the heel of your hand and as tight as you can. Wrap one time around the wrist with the edge of the wrap right at the crease of your wrist and hand, then next turn should be up so the middle of the wrap is over the crease of your wrist and each turn should be that high.

The other thing to do is try to get the bar further down on your hand (closer to the wrist) when you grip it.

This.... especially the part about holding the bar low in the hand..... then just squeeze the heck out of the bar and work some heavy boards to get used to holding big weight.....

good luck on the 600!

ct67_72
05-24-2011, 04:19 PM
I have had this problem also. one of the things that I realized that helped the most was the bar positining in my hands. I hold the bar up at the base of my fingers instead of in my palm. when I was heavy it would just bend my wrists back, if I get the bar down in the palm it cant pull my wrists back.
also I do the same and "cast" my wrists. seems to help also
I also see a lot of people confusing tucking with bending their elbows back

Steve D
05-25-2011, 07:37 AM
You may want to ask training partners to check that your elbows are staying under your wrists at the bottom. If elbows are out front of wrists, you may need to change the bar path a little or stay tighter when fighting the shirt.

Brian C
05-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Heres a good vid showing how to wrap:

glHfEtdde0M&feature=player_embedded

AdamBAG
05-25-2011, 12:00 PM
There is a lot of good advice here already.

I think you need to really think about where you are putting the bar in your hand. It needs to be low in your palm, so your wrist doesn't bend back.

Also, make sure the people you train with know about the issue and watch for it so they can que you not to do it.

ScottYard
05-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Check your descent. I found it best with gear to get the bar out as far as possible then just lower the bar straight to the touch spot. For me that elimimated the cocked wrost, misgrooves and the bar flying at my face lol

Brian C
05-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Check your descent. I found it best with gear to get the bar out as far as possible then just lower the bar straight to the touch spot. For me that elimimated the cocked wrost, misgrooves and the bar flying at my face lol

Great advice

C...unit
05-26-2011, 03:58 PM

Yeah, that parts not soo fun

ScottYard
05-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Yeah, that parts not soo fun

Especially with 800 plus.

C...unit
05-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Ill be back in the shirt next wedns soo hopefully fix some issues and maybe even hit a pr along the way. The more I think abt it, I think the shirt which is alot more than anything Iv ever used is causing me to break down alittle bit. Not that I am not strong enough to hold my form just get distracted by getting the bar down to touch. I will try and take the bar lower I think that is an issue for sure. I got new wraps but I really dont think thats the issue well see though.

LanceGoyke
05-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Something nobody hit on yet is just training your motor pattern.

Cast wrapping your wrists is fine and dandy, but if you don't try to control a straight wrist, the weight will dominate your wrist and wrist wraps and that weight will be flying into your face. The moment arm from the bar is WAY bigger than the moment arm from your wraps.

A couple things I've noticed:

USAPL guys let their wrists fall back more so that they can touch the sternum.
If you lack the shoulder extension to bring the bar down, the wrist extension is a compensation. Make sure you're doing your dynamic warm up and not laying flat on the bench.
Keeping your wrist straight may make it feel like you have to move the bar a lot further.

If I were you, I would be grooving a lot of technique whenever possible (every rep if you're not scheduled for a meet soon). Ideally, the other parts of your set up and such are foundational so you can just hammer home that neutral wrist. It sounds like this is not the case, however, if you're fighting to touch, so you may have to figure that out before you can move on to your wrist position (though I suggest trying to get it all at once at first).

Hope this helps.