PDA

View Full Version : Fucking elbows..

Mark!
05-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Well, today I was having several issues. My elbows wouldn't fucking stay tucked, and I kept rotating my shoulders up after the press call. Any one have mental suggestions for correcting these issues? I was benching on little sleep, with sucks, but these little form issues that are popping up are annoying as hell.

Brian Hopper
05-19-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm sure some of the bench pros have a better solution, but I learned by my coach just constantly saying ELBOWS...ELBOWS...ELBOWS, lol. It seemed to work for me, lol. I've also seen people double up a mini band and put them around their elbows. You can always just practice with the bar and go from there.

Mark!
05-19-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm sure some of the bench pros have a better solution, but I learned by my coach just constantly saying ELBOWS...ELBOWS...ELBOWS, lol. It seemed to work for me, lol. I've also seen people double up a mini band and put them around their elbows. You can always just practice with the bar and go from there.

I've thought about the band thing, sort of like a poor mans slingshot, haha. It may be something I play around with. Definitely will also have my coach yelling elbows during the lifts next time too. AND...will get more sleep before benching. Thanks Brian, your input is ALWAYS greatly appreciated and valued.

LanceGoyke
05-27-2011, 04:50 PM
At the risk of boring the hell out of you, I'd like to point out that the "tuck your elbows" cue is actually shoulder movement. I've noticed if you can't stay tucked on the way up, it's a scapular stability problem.

Your posterior shoulder (such as infraspinatus and teres minor of the rotator cuff) are the muscles that actually DO the tucking. If your upper back muscles aren't stabilizing your scapulae, the posterior shoulder may be attempting to instead. If you can't stay tucked even when you think about it, I would venture to say your posterior shoulder is too tired from stabilizing the eccentric to keep your elbows in on the concentric.

The fix? A dynamic warm up and upper back work like a Shoulder ITY, Prone Row to External Rotation, and all the rows and chins you can handle while SQUEEZING your shoulder blades back and down.

ScottYard
05-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Sounds like you need a ton of upper back and lat work.

robchris
05-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Sounds like you need a ton of upper back and lat work.

Agreed, along w/ face pulls bro...

Mark!
05-27-2011, 10:09 PM
I've incorporated a lot of back work and lat work for the last few weeks and will continue with it until forever. I just recently started actually benching, going from squat and deadlift all the time to actually working on bench and upper body. My coach recognized the issue and has had me blasting traps and tris religiously.

NickAus
05-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Yep, more back work and dont press back towards your eyes until towards the top (I know you bench with that style).