PDA

View Full Version : 5/3/1 Training for the Bench only

Cary Pond
05-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Bought Jim Wendler's e-book on 5/3/1 training, read it and am really stoked to use his program.

Few stats on myself:

Age 50
Bd. Wt. 210-215
Height 5' 11"
training experience 31 yrs.

Best bench raw 405 at 220 bd. wt (10 yrs ago)
Estimated current raw bench today 365 at 210 bd. wt.

I've used numerous training programs throughout the years, you name it, I used it. Now trying to "Jump Start" my bench program again with the 5/3/1 program.

Problem is that I've had a total hip replacement, so I cannot do squats or deadlifts anymore. I used to do them before my "latest" hip surgery and got up to a 500 squat.

What I'm looking to accomplish here with Jim's routine is a conditioning program that will help strengthen my bench.

My latest program was more of a Westside template. Heavy ME day, Back and Bicep day, Light Bench day. That sort of thing.

With this program, what do you think of:

Saturday

1. Bench Press 5/3/1 program (based on the reps/set scheme on Page 11 of book, either version 1 or 2),
Supersetted with chin-ups or pull downs or some other lat movement.
2. Dumbbell press 5 sets of 10
3. Assistance work for Triceps (100 reps)
4. Barbell curls 5 sets of 10

Monday

1. Military Press 5/3/1
2. Dumbbell should press 5 x 10
3. Barbell curls 5 x 10

Wednesday

1. Speed bench Take 50% of Max. bench for 9 sets of 3 reps, with 45 sec. rest between sets. Performed
explosively (5 second sets), with 3 different grip widths. (narrow, regular, wide).
2. Tricep work. 100 reps.

I do have chains-bands-boards at my disposal, so would be using these on tricep work as is possible

Looking from help on this program. How can it be tweaked-altered to help my bench ?

Thanks

Cary

cheesedips
05-21-2011, 01:49 PM
i dont see any back/lat work, that would certainly help

Cary Pond
05-21-2011, 06:29 PM
i dont see any back/lat work, that would certainly help

Lat work is super setted on Saturdays 5/3/1 Bench. Also doing 3-4 sets additional back work like; chest supported rows, pull down, weighted pull ups, one arm rows, T-Bars instead of the barbell curls. Gives me a total of 6-8 sets of back.

Here's my first post in my log

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?143358-Cary-s-Log