PDA

View Full Version : help with middle of squat

BoAnderson71
05-20-2011, 06:53 PM
I maxed out today, coming out of the hole I was good but in the middle I would stall and my chest would collapse. I was thinking I need to do more oblique work and standing weighted abs, any other suggestions, sorry no video.

JK1
05-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Where were your elbows?

ScottYard
05-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Hows your upper back work. You may be rounding out. like said above by jk1 how are your elbows. if your upper back is week you wont have them in proper position to stay upright

Brian C
05-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Things that helped me when I was having some of the same problem were first the elbows. Make sure to really crank down on them from start to finish. This will push your chest up through the squat. Also, make sure your neck is burried back into the bar and your looking no lower than straight(personal preference). I usually concentrate on looking up at like a 45 degree angle. Arch arch arch. Make sure you are arched before descending. And like said, upper back work. really hit your upper back as well as your abs. very important. Good luck.

hoot
05-21-2011, 11:14 AM
If someone starts to round at the top, we'll put a pencil between the shoulder blades. Keeping a tight upper back will keep the pencil in place. Tough to drop your head/chest when your focused on keeping your back tight, along with driving your head back into the bar.

BoAnderson71
05-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. At the start I know my elbows are under the bar and my back is tight, but even though I did not videotape i think i lost my elbow position and upperback tightness when I stalled during the lift. I will definitely start doing more upper back work, thanks.