PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Ever . .

Hobo Beard
05-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Owned all of the raw AND equipped records for a weight class in a federation?

And by all, I mean squat/bench/dead/total in a meet AND single-lift bench and deadlift.

Wondering if you guys have ever seen this happen?

ScottYard
05-21-2011, 07:02 AM
I dont think you ever will. When i was in gear and totaled 2605 my squat and pull were a good 80 lbs lighter raw then they are now. But now woth a 2000 raw total theres no way i could put some gear on and total anything close to 2605.

You simply cant focus on both disciplines at the same time and get max results with both.

MarcusWild
05-21-2011, 12:27 PM
You can do it if you find an obscure enough fed where the records are low.

Sean S
05-21-2011, 01:03 PM
I dont think you ever will. When i was in gear and totaled 2605 my squat and pull were a good 80 lbs lighter raw then they are now. But now woth a 2000 raw total theres no way i could put some gear on and total anything close to 2605.

You simply cant focus on both disciplines at the same time and get max results with both.

Having competed both raw, single-ply, and multi-ply (although not nearly to the level of Scott) I would concur with his comments. The other factor in play is that the technique and muscle groups emphasized with each discipline can be very different so it would be tough to be super-elite in both at the same time. For instance, a very wide upright squatting style that you would use in multi-ply lifting doesn't generally transfer to an optimal raw squat. My raw SQ is a completely different animal than my equipped SQ and thus it's nearly impossible to be at peak strength for both simultaneously.