cheesedips
05-21-2011, 01:46 PM
should a raw squatter/beginner ever squat wide??suggestions plz

BoAnderson71
05-21-2011, 02:33 PM
do whatever feels comfortable for you.

kingns
05-21-2011, 04:53 PM
When I squat raw I stand closer than when I use a suit. I dont have the hip strength to squat super wide when I'm raw. Id imagine a lot of people are the same. Similarly with benching I use a closer grip when raw, and as wide as I can with a shirt.

Sensei
05-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Ultra-wide stance squatting is a suited monolifted PLer's game IMHO. Doesn't mean you can't squat wide raw however.

This is Stan Efferding's raw wide stance - granted it's out of a monolift, but damn it's a solid squat...

PuCcqi-krhk

cheesedips
05-21-2011, 05:24 PM
thank you...his stance is wide for sure.

Mark!
05-21-2011, 05:30 PM
I feel that if my stance is just beyond shoulder width, I get more leg drive at about half way out of the hole. Plus, being a big fella, it seems to help with depth spreading things out a bit more.

kingns
05-22-2011, 01:45 AM
I think the really wide stance relies on your glutes and hip/inner thigh area more. So a suit adds a ton of support/strength to this area. If you are really strong there a wide stance should be better because mechanically it is a shorter range of motion and should be easier. Since those muscles suck on me, with a close stand I need to rely on my quads a lot more.

ThomasG
05-22-2011, 09:30 AM
This is how I squat raw. Not ultra wide but it is a wide stance. I do have to take extra care of my hips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTssOIARzDQ

mastermonster
05-22-2011, 01:00 PM
I think if you're just starting and not looking to compete equipped or from the monolift at the moment. It would be more comfortable and practical to normal anatomical strngths to begin by learning proper narrow to medium stance. It's much easier to walk out in this stance. Then if you decide to compete equipped and or in a monolift, you could begin working your stance out slowly to let the envolved muscles gradually strengthen.

That being said, I've walked out just over 700 successfully in a wide stance. It is however much more difficult to me and energy consuming than walking out at a shoulder width stance. When I compete raw from a monolift I use a very wide stance. But, as mentioned above; I take care of my hip while training. I usually train in at least loose briefs until the last squat day or so just to know I can hit my planned opener easily without them.

Hope this helps!

ScottYard
05-22-2011, 05:06 PM
You can squat wide raw if you want but not for long. Most peoples hips just cant take the abuse. Do whats comfortable but keep longevity in mind

Brian Hopper
05-22-2011, 08:25 PM
You can squat wide raw if you want but not for long. Most peoples hips just cant take the abuse. Do whats comfortable but keep longevity in mind

I agree!!!

mchicia1
05-23-2011, 07:57 AM
I am 6'5" and my squat is about 50 pounds higher with a just outside shoulder width stance vs a wide stance....I just get so much more power out of the hole, but the ROM is definitely a lot longer.

LanceGoyke
05-27-2011, 04:59 PM
This is how I squat raw. Not ultra wide but it is a wide stance. I do have to take extra care of my hips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTssOIARzDQ

For someone your height, I'd consider that pretty freakin' wide!

I think if you're just starting and not looking to compete equipped or from the monolift at the moment. It would be more comfortable and practical to normal anatomical strngths to begin by learning proper narrow to medium stance. It's much easier to walk out in this stance. Then if you decide to compete equipped and or in a monolift, you could begin working your stance out slowly to let the envolved muscles gradually strengthen.

That being said, I've walked out just over 700 successfully in a wide stance. It is however much more difficult to me and energy consuming than walking out at a shoulder width stance. When I compete raw from a monolift I use a very wide stance. But, as mentioned above; I take care of my hip while training. I usually train in at least loose briefs until the last squat day or so just to know I can hit my planned opener easily without them.

Hope this helps!

Excellent advice. Exactly on par with what I wanted to say.

So right you are, Scott.

Ultimately, everyone has a different risk/reward that you have to evaluate when making a programming decision. I'm only 21 and my hips are jacked up, so not only do I keep a relatively close stance, I don't even train to depth. It's just not worth it. You, cheesedips, may be different, and so may whoever you're training (if that is the case).

hulk242
05-28-2011, 07:33 PM
I am a wide stance raw squatter. Obviously it all depends on the person, To squat wide and back, you have to really have strong hamstrings. As far as keeping the hips healthy, I would say pay close attention to how they feel. I often will bring my stance in during my training cycle, as well as do olympic style. This will give your hips a break, as well as hit your squat from another angle that will pay off when returning to your wide stance.