PDA

View Full Version : Ultramarathon, Half Ironman, 1850+ total

Alex.V
05-23-2011, 08:13 AM
So it's been a while since I had any sort of journal on this site.. and I won't bother dredging up the old one.

This will be more of a periodic log to track my progress, mostly because what I'll be trying to do within the next 12 months is not a combination of things that are ordinarily done concurrently so I'll need the benefit of occasional feedback or lookbacks...

The items in the journal title are my goals, all to be done within the next 12 months. What I would LIKE to do, of course, is complete them all within a six month period, starting with either the half ironman or an ultra in October.

Currently, I've completed 3 full marathons, last one in March, and my current best lifts WITHIN THE LAST THREE WEEKS, not my usual six month maxes) have been the following:

Bench press: 425
Deadlift: 695
Squat: 645

Longest run: 28.5 miles (9:35 pace)
Longest bike: N/A
Longest swim: N/A

I'm currently designing the long term program, but it will likely involve ME lifting days during the week (one bench focused movement, one squat or DL focused movement) with speed work on the weekend, and single event short duration cardio training blended in during the week (running speed work, any distance swim work, hill training on bike), and either distance work or brick workouts during the weekend (Swim and bike, bike and run, run and drink heavily).

Currently 223 pounds, about 7.5% bodyfat. I would like to keep this about the same, as if I go much under 215 my strength tanks, but if I go over 235 I can't run worth shit.

This should be fun!

LuNa
05-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Very excited to see you start a journal again, as i enjoyed going through your older one. Best of luck with your goals!

ThomasG
05-23-2011, 08:19 AM
Journal should be titled my journey to becoming superman. Seriously holy shit I don't know how you can be so aerobically and anaerobically efficient at the same time. I will be following along.

About what are your maintenance cals when training for an ironman or ultra?

StLRPh
05-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Journal should be titled my journey to becoming superman.

x2, good luck and looking forward to reading along

Focused70
05-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Alex is already Superman. That's Clark Kent talking.

Also :spam: for your journal.

Alex.V
05-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Journal should be titled my journey to becoming superman. Seriously holy shit I don't know how you can be so aerobically and anaerobically efficient at the same time. I will be following along.

About what are your maintenance cals when training for an ironman or ultra?

It's sort of interesting, I didn't think I could be either. I used to have to down close to 3000-4000 extra calories on my long run days, and 500+ over maintenance on a regular basis just to compensate.

About two months before my first marathon, though, I suffered a stress fracture in my right ankle; after a bit of time off I drastically altered my running gait, focusing on minimizing impact. Stride slightly shortened so that my foot would impact under me, not in front of me. Minimizing knee lift to minimize travel distance and force, minimizing upper body movement for the same reason. And all this added up to a much, much more efficient gait. The question is, can I find similar such efficiencies in my other events.

Now on my long runs (15-20+ miles) my carb up the night before consists of maybe 1000 over maintenance, with 500-1000 taken in during the run. Overall training volume isn't that high in either aerobic or anaerobic; calories stay in the 3500-4000 range, though when the brick workouts pick up I'll need to bump that to mid 4's.

tom183
05-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Following with interest. Best of luck.

El Chupacabra
05-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Incredible Goals. I just want to compete a marathon, so I will be following. When training for your previous marathons, were you big three training for PR's?

StLRPh
05-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Are you POSE running?

Brian C
05-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Wow, amazing numbers and goals. Best of luck and ill be a reader for sure.

nickp8
05-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Will be following along. Some bad ass goals to do so close together, but it seems very attainable by you.

Alex.V
05-25-2011, 07:48 AM
Are you POSE running?

Nope, definitely not. I mean, it's possible that I'm using a few of those techniques by coincidence but... I'm just wary about using any sort of system that would alter my style unless absolutely necessary.

Alex.V
05-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Yesterday was a bit of a short workout, some mixed bench work and a short run (Have the Doughman race this weekend, look it up if you're curious).

Working out in the backup gym for the next month while the gym with the good equipment (read: power cages and sturdy benches) gets renovations. Hence, probably won't do much heavy work.

Bench press, worked up to some triples at 385, dropped to 315 for 12, bent-over BB row with 315 for sets of 8, some accessory work, then went out for a short 2 miler @ ~7:00 pace (what I'll be likely doing this weekend).

Nothing too exciting until I get my new bike (in the next week or so), then the program really starts!

J.C.
05-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Amazing stuff. I'm back in town and I'm interested in building both my strength and endurance at the same time. I'd love to do a triathlon one day so I'll be following along and hopefully I'll get some inspiration out of it.

Also; hello there.:hello:

Alex.V
05-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Howdy J.C., thanks for checkin in. Whether or not this will be inspirational depends on whether or not I crash and burn. ;)

Did a pure strength day- have the race this saturday so saved my legs. Also probably looking to do a 12 mile pacing run on sunday, so I can use the break.

Deadlifts, worked up to a simple 655 single. Dropped down and did speed work with 405. It's amazing how much running has made it harder to keep strength in my glutes- one muscle group that has DEFINITELY atrophied a bit from all the distance work. i.e. yeah, running makes your ass shrink. It's evident in my pull as well- at heavier loads my hips come up way too quickly- just don't have the hip and glute strength to keep them down and drive off the floor.

On the other hand, can do 12-15 rep fast sets with 405 and not even break a sweat.

Alex.V
05-31-2011, 07:31 AM
Had the Doughman on Saturday morning, which meant saturday afternoon was the first of my real training days.

The doughman was... interesting. Let's just say Quinoa vegan "meatballs" do NOT sit easy during a run. Was a hilarious event, though... http://www.doughman.org/ if anybody's interested. Our team would have been rockin, but our cyclist got lost during his leg. (Not his fault, badly marked course). I managed to pass about eight teams in the eating zone by taking down the meal in four mouthfuls (the photographer looked like she was going to get sick watching me), and another six or seven on the course.

Total run: 2.03 miles in ~13 minutes.

Afterwards, bench and shoulders workout.

Work sets:

BB bench:

225 x 10,
275 x 10,
(315 x 3) x 6,
315 x 6

BB OH press:

135 x 10,
195 x 3,
195 x 3

Still dealing with shoulder issues.

Went out for a 9 mile run. After the two miles this morning, this HURT.

Total run: 9 miles in ~83 minutes. Hilly course. Temp over 90 degrees.

Sunday, did legs.

Squats:

405 x 6,
495 x 2
605 x 2
635 x 1

Box squats:

405 x 5
405 x 5

Did some good mornings, got the hell out of there.. Went home and drank some of my homebrewed IPA.

Monday, got my new bike, went out for a short ride. Total, 9 miles. Total time, ~30 minutes.

Training total for training week 1:

Bench: 385 triples
Deadlift: 655
Squat: 635
Total: 1675 (Not max)

Total Run: 15 miles
Longest run: 9 miles

Total Bike: 9 miles
Longest bike: 9 miles

Total swim: 0 miles
Longest swim: 0 miles.

LuNa
05-31-2011, 07:52 AM
Nice work. Do you use any gear for the main three? You used a bench shirt before right?

Brian C
05-31-2011, 07:52 AM
Hitting a "simple" 655 pull and saying weak glutes dont even fit in the same sentence, especiall being a distance runner. Very very impressive work. That Dough run looks pretty fun too.

Alex.V
05-31-2011, 08:38 AM
Thanks much, guys.

Luna, I use knee wraps and a belt for the squat... have an old pair of squat briefs I wear at times but they are from when I was around 240-245... they're entirely too loose, but do give my waist a bit more girth that helps with belt tightness, and they do keep me in the brief groove that I'd probably use in competition. Never used a bench shirt... that, and a new pair of briefs or a full squat suit are my next purchases.

Brian... it's all relative. :) Considering how huge my posterior used to be, and how it was my lower back that failed when I was pulling low 700's consistently... I guess maybe "weaker glutes" is more apropos.

nickp8
05-31-2011, 10:54 AM
That's a lot of work for one day. It's pretty impressive. That race looks fun, I wonder how many people throw up during it.

Alex.V
06-01-2011, 06:58 AM
Throwing up gets you DQed. There are still a few every year.

Main gym is shut down for the next few weeks, so working out in this crappy alternate gym. It was 85 degrees in there, crowded, and the equipment is crap.

I won't go heavy on bench until the main one re-opens- I don't trust the racks there at all, and the single cage there is always being used.

Bench work sets:

315 x 10
355 x 5
405 x 2
365 x 3

Sweating my ass off, hesitating too much on the rerack. (To give you some idea, the entire bench slides about half a foot if I re-rack too aggressively)

BB rows:

225 x 10
315 x 8
315 x 8

Did some DB rows, went for a 1.5 mile fast run in 97 degree weather, no shade. It wasn't really fast. Damn this heat, going to have to find some way to keep up training volume for the next few weeks until I acclimate. Did most of my marathon training in the winter, was out there running miles in 40 degree weather with tights, gloves, and a beanie on. This is definitely a different animal.

Alex.V
06-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Only a minor update...

11 mile bike on Wednesday at an average of 16-17 mph. Still taking it easy, realize I haven't really ridden a bike in, oh, 15 years at least. First brick workout scheduled for this sunday, looking to do 15-20 miles and a 5-10 mile run or so. We'll see.

Did some deadlifts, worked up to:

495 x 2
545 x 2
665 x 1
495 x 6

It was pointed out to me that my hamstrings are probably too tight, which is why my hips are coming up so quickly. I had thought it was just weak hamstrings/glutes, but my squat is still quiet strong. This is actualy plausible- might need to test this a bit more. I'm thinking it's both weakness and tightness.

Rest of the workout was unremarkable.

Alex.V
06-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Oh, and my weekend birthday celebration plans are attached...

Coke
06-03-2011, 06:11 PM
:birthday:

Happy Birthday Alex, looks like a winner already, lol. Wish you the best in all endeavors!!

nickp8
06-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Nice work on the pulls.

Alex.V
06-05-2011, 03:02 PM
:birthday:

Happy Birthday Alex, looks like a winner already, lol. Wish you the best in all endeavors!!

lol. Thanks man, yeah, yesterday was pretty ridiculous. I think about 50% of my not-inconsiderable caloric intake yesterday came directly from good beer. Westvleteren alone was a good chunk of that.

Workout yesterday was a bit of a write-off, though the 9 mile bike afterwards was decent.

Today was better, sort of a brick workout.

Squats:

405 x 5
495 x 3
585 x 1
655 x 1
505 x 3
315 x 12

Not bad.

Went immediately for a swim.

Ended up being 500 meters, about 20 minutes. Nowhere near fast enough, but in all fairness was doing a few drills, including kickboard drills.

Went immediately for a bike.

16 miles, ~18.5 mph average.

Got off, went immediately for a run.

5.5 miles, 9:00 pace

I was dead. In every way.

What I learned:

-I sink like a rock. Still. Can't even float holding a kickboard.
-Doing heavy squats before a bike and run is ill-advised.
-Hills suck on a bike. They suck on a run. They just suck in general.
-Hills suck.
-Though my workout generally was fairly lame, if each portion were taken individually, I take solace in the fact that there are realistically probably not many humans I know who could duplicate it pound for pound and mile for mile.
-Hills suck
-Beer is NOT ideal for carbing up the night before a long workout.

LuNa
06-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Nice work. That 16 mile bike ride would kill me.

Alex.V
06-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Cheers, thanks. Wasn't bad, actually. Bikes are nice because you can coast. ;)

Bench/Back then swim/run WO.

Bench work sets:
315 x 6
365 x 3
425 x 2
315 x 10

I REALLY don't like the equipment in this gym. Not going to touch any maxes until the new one opens in a few week's time.

BB rows:
315 x 10
315 x 10
These were strict, felt pretty good.

Accessory work, then

500 meter swim (in about 15 minutes- took breaks, was doing 100 meter repeats and mixing strokes. I hate sinking, I need to buy my wetsuit... otherwise unless I'm going at an all out sprint, a moderate effort swim is actually harder.)
Immediately to-
2.5 mile run, 8:30 pace.

Just cooling down.

Probably hitting a bike today around noon. Can't kill my legs, since I'm pulling tomorrow.

Brian C
06-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Dude, im in awe of your work. Hitting a 655 squat then all that cardio...unreal stuff. Im amazed that your upper body is as strong as it is. Im trying to figure some cardio out to add but id shrivel up to a weak turd if I did that much. Wish I could.

Alex.V
06-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Dude, im in awe of your work. Hitting a 655 squat then all that cardio...unreal stuff. Im amazed that your upper body is as strong as it is. Im trying to figure some cardio out to add but id shrivel up to a weak turd if I did that much. Wish I could.

Hey man, I appreciate that from someone with your strength level! It's tough, I'm not sure how it'll keep up as my distances ramp up. Already a bit worried about pulling tomorrow- trying to keep my calories up there but I'm not sure this'll wind up being humanly possible.

Just did a short bike today, since it was my free workout day. 10 miles, ~18 mph, hardly felt it.

Tomorrow, deadlifts and bike/run. Good stuff.

J.C.
06-08-2011, 04:31 PM
I like that you like beer. Respect to the teetotallers and all but I always think an athlete can and should appreciate some good brew occasionally.

How the hell do you manage to get so much work into each session? Do you work at a gym or something? I don't think I'd have enough hours in the day to do all that and keep my current job.

cphafner
06-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Damn I'm in awe that you can run so much with all your mass. I have been struggling trying to fit running and lifting into my schedule. I look forward to learning in here. Isn't your girl into endurance training? I remember reading something about her. Remarkable story.

mchicia1
06-09-2011, 07:15 AM
The cell volumization is strong with you.

Seriously though, you are a beast..good work.

Alex.V
06-10-2011, 08:14 AM
I like that you like beer. Respect to the teetotallers and all but I always think an athlete can and should appreciate some good brew occasionally.

How the hell do you manage to get so much work into each session? Do you work at a gym or something? I don't think I'd have enough hours in the day to do all that and keep my current job.

Oh I am a huge beer lover. Getting into brewing it only makes it more of a grand hobby. I mean, I can chalk up trips to the beer store as "research", right?

I definitely don't work at a gym, my actual gym workouts are fairly short (in the 40-45 minute range)... weekends are when my long workouts happen. It's actually not bad, I'll write out my training schedule at the end of the post.

Damn I'm in awe that you can run so much with all your mass. I have been struggling trying to fit running and lifting into my schedule. I look forward to learning in here. Isn't your girl into endurance training? I remember reading something about her. Remarkable story.

Thanks mate, it's rough sometimes. The right shoes DO help a lot with the joints, but really it's been keeping a low-volume approach to the running as well. Really, if a lift or a run on a given day isn't going well and I'm not going to get much out of it, I go home. Fewer high quality high yield workouts, prevent burnout.

She is into endurance training- Kelly Bruno, she's a triathlete and was (of all things) on survivor last fall). She's fairly awesome.

The cell volumization is strong with you.

Seriously though, you are a beast..good work.

hahaha. shhh. Conversations should stay in their relevant threads. ;) Yesterday, unfortunately, I felt entirely too human.

Deadlifts (work sets)

405 x 3
495 x 3
625 x 1
665 x fuck.
495 x 12

Just couldn't get my hips down. Too tight, too tired, too drained. Bummed me out. Did some shoulders. Went out for a 1 mile run in the 97 degree heat (103 with heat index).. and went home. Figured it wasn't going to be my day.

And since I think I'll keep a beer log too- Beers were a Gulden Draak and a bottle of my homemade Pliny the Elder IPA clone.

My training schedule these days, just finalized today:

Monday- off
Tuesday- ME bench //// Tempo run (2-3 miles)
Wednesday- Free workout, swim bike or run (30-45 minutes)
Thursday- Deadlifts (alternate ME and DE) //// Short bike (8-12 miles)
Friday- off
Saturday- DE bench, long swim (1-1.5 miles)
Sunday- Squats (alternate ME and DE) //// Long brick workout (400-800 meter swim, 20-30 mile bike, 6-8 mile run)

Two full days off, one light workout day. See how this'll work. Officially registered for the beach to battleship half in October. Good news, I can register as a clydesdale. Gotta love the weight category.

Probably doing my long brick workout on saturday due to weather this week.

Alex.V
06-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Registered for the beach 2 battleship half today. $200. I can't bitch out.

Alex.V
06-12-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm completely fried after this weekend.

Saturday: Light bench and brick workout.

Bench:

225 x 10
275 x 6
315 x 8
315 x 8
275 x 12

Close grips with 245, speed sets of 3.

Then swim:

500 meters, about 15 minutes. Obviously slow, doing 50 meter sprints, working on form. (since it's been years)

Straight to bike:

21 miles, ~17 mph. Damn, this was hilly. Found a hill so steep I couldn't top 10mph on the way up. To give some idea of how steep it was, on the way back down I hit 40 mph when down in the drops, with no pedaling.

Straight to run:

5 miles, 9:00 pace for first 4, 14 minute pace for last one. Quad cramp. Left side. Couldn't walk it out, had to hop most of the way back. Doesn't help that it's 95 degrees out. Temperature out on the road was over 105.

Beers last night: Trappiste Rochefort 10, Struise Pannepot Grand Reserve. It was a top shelf Belgian sorta night.

Today:

Squats:

405 x 4
495 x 2
625 x 2

Box squats:

405 x 5
405 x 5

Finished off with some glute ham raises.

Then a 700 meter swim, 16 minutes overall.

Training total for training week:

Bench: 425 x 2
Deadlift: 625 x 1, one miss.
Squat: 625 x 2
Total: 1675 (Not max)

Total Run: 8.5 miles
Longest run: 5 miles

Total Bike: 31 miles
Longest bike: 21 miles

Total swim: 1.1 miles
Longest swim: 0.4 miles

joey54
06-12-2011, 12:37 PM
What is your best meet total?

Alex.V
06-12-2011, 08:27 PM
What is your best meet total?

Haven't actually done a full meet- part of the problem is that either some part of my upper body or some part of my lower body has been injured every time I tried to peak.

These are all at least two years old:

Best competition bench- 435. (unequipped)
Best competition deadlift- 714.5 (unequipped)
Best competition squat- 565 (Got red lighted on my 625, my left knee wrap felt loose and I know I cut depth by an inch or so.)

LuNa
06-13-2011, 04:43 AM
Great work man. 625x2 squats is absolutely amazing. Combined with all of the other work i just cant believe anyone could possibly do that.

Good job getting registerred, no backing away now.

joey54
06-13-2011, 05:09 AM
Solid numbers for sure. Put everything together and that is a huge raw total.

Alex.V
06-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Solid numbers for sure. Put everything together and that is a huge raw total.

Ach, sorry, neglected to mention, squat was with briefs. I do plan on using equipment, I just need to get around finding a bench shirt that fits.... A little worried that my weight may change with all this cardio. Any recommendations on a good starter shirt that's cheap enough that I won't hate myself for having to chuck if I lose a few pounds?

LuNa, thanks mate. Considering how much those bloody races are, you'll bet I'm showing up... even just to get my shwag bag. :)

storm235
06-13-2011, 07:41 PM
I may have missed it in the posts but how old are you? You goals are pbs are amazing. I'm 230 and thought i'd have to drop a ton of weight to accomplish runs like you do. You gave me hope but not near your level in the weights though. Good luck and will be watching.

Alex.V
06-15-2011, 07:20 AM
I may have missed it in the posts but how old are you? You goals are pbs are amazing. I'm 230 and thought i'd have to drop a ton of weight to accomplish runs like you do. You gave me hope but not near your level in the weights though. Good luck and will be watching.

Gettin up there... relatively speaking. Recently turned 31.

They can be done, man, you just gotta watch the knees, get new shoes regularly, stick to trails and gravel (no concrete), and maintain a pace that doesn't require too much heel slamming.

Did a bench/back workout yesterday... Again, nothing exceptional. Gym's on track to open next thursday though!

Bench:

315 x 6
365 x 6
430 x 1 (shoulder popped a bit here)
365 x 2

BB rows with 315, sets of 8

Windshield wipers, assorted accessory crap, then a 2 mile sprint workout... jogging @ 9:00 pace, running at 6:00 pace.

Felt decent.

Today.. probably a swim and a bike.

joey54
06-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Ach, sorry, neglected to mention, squat was with briefs. I do plan on using equipment, I just need to get around finding a bench shirt that fits.... A little worried that my weight may change with all this cardio. Any recommendations on a good starter shirt that's cheap enough that I won't hate myself for having to chuck if I lose a few pounds?

LuNa, thanks mate. Considering how much those bloody races are, you'll bet I'm showing up... even just to get my shwag bag. :)

Briefs or raw that is good squatting. Sure you are good for a raw 600 now if you are doubling 625 with briefs on. Probably even more. Do you have any training videos? They would be a great addition.

Not sure if the bench shirt question was directed to me, or just in general. I can't really offer any advice there, as I have never even tried a shirt. A few of the guys I trained with were using the inzer phenoms(double ply) and seemed to adjust to those easily. Geared lifting really seems to lend towards getting with other geared lifters who can assist in things like that. Good luck with the search.

Alex.V
06-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Briefs or raw that is good squatting. Sure you are good for a raw 600 now if you are doubling 625 with briefs on. Probably even more. Do you have any training videos? They would be a great addition.

Not sure if the bench shirt question was directed to me, or just in general. I can't really offer any advice there, as I have never even tried a shirt. A few of the guys I trained with were using the inzer phenoms(double ply) and seemed to adjust to those easily. Geared lifting really seems to lend towards getting with other geared lifters who can assist in things like that. Good luck with the search.

Thanks for hittin back. Nope, no videos, never really saw the value personally. It's good to sometimes get feedback on form and depth, but right now not worth the pain of setting it up. I have a few friends and occasional workout partners who do a good job keeping me honest. :) I hope...

Appreciate the tip on the shirt, regardless. I'm still torn if I want to go full geared or not.

Yesterday was a decent short bike... 12 miles, felt absurdly easy, maintained over 18mph over the distance. I'm averaging about 20-21 mph on the flats, which is about where I want to be.

Beer yesterday was a homebrewed Chimay clone, fantastic stuff! The girl's oatmeal porter is coming along well too.

I figured I'd post my diet for shits and giggles:

1 cup oat bran
1 cup blueberries
1 cup yogurt
1 cup almond milk (got a theme going here)
2 EAS advant-edge shakes
2 pink lady apples
1 starbucks biscotti
6 cups of coffee
16 ounces gatorade
1 post workout shake (banana, protein powder, creatine, milk)
1.5 pounds baked cod (topped with brie)
1/2 cup brown rice (dry measure) with mushrooms and 4 ounces shrimp
1 cup blackberries
Assorted other fruit for dessert
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 high abv beers
Assorted crap.

Supps: Ephedrine, caffeine, creatine, microlactin, chewable calcium.

Cals probably between 3500 and 4000. My diet rules.

Alex.V
06-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Good ass kicking weekend.

Back to Thursday, though.

Deadlifts:

405 x 4
495 x 4
585 x 1
495 x 4

Going to do some pulls with my feet on blocks next week. This cycling is tightening up my lower back and killing my form.

Swim: 400 meters.

Saturday:

Bench:

225 x 10
275 x 6
(315 x 6) x 3
225 x 10 with light band wrapped under bench (~235 at bottom, ~300 at top)

Close grips:

(225 x 6) x 3

Skullcrushers with 155 for a few sets.

Swim:

500 meters, 15 minutes

Bike:

31 miles, 1:45

Run:

3.1 miles, 27:14

I was beat.

Sunday:

Squats:

405 x 3
495 x 3
585 x 3
495 x 5
405 x 8

If there's any lingering doubt that I'm using drastically different energy systems, this more or less erases it. I'm so fatigued today that getting out of the car is exhausting, but there's still enough power left in my legs to bang out some good squats.

Did some GHRs, good mornings, then...

Swim: 550 meters, ~16 minutes.

Now, it's beer time. And bbq, most likely.

J.C.
06-19-2011, 04:25 PM
585x3 squats. On top of running. Incredible.

I was drinking Meantime Ales last night. They're pretty good if you ever have a chance, although I generally prefer my pale ales a bit stronger.

My mate's also driving a van to the part of my country my parents live in tomorrow. He's going to swing by and pick up my home-brew kit. I'm psyched. :)

Alex.V
06-20-2011, 08:28 AM
My mate's also driving a van to the part of my country my parents live in tomorrow. He's going to swing by and pick up my home-brew kit. I'm psyched. :)

Ah man, don't make me homebrew beer geek out on ya.

What stuff you making? I got a pumpkin ale in the primary right now, just bottled an oatmeal porter and a rochefort clone (which are both baller- the clone is about 9.5% but smooth as silk!). I'm still mostly doing extract brewing, though I'm playing with mini-mashes of late (for the oatmeal and pumpkin)... kind of enjoy that I can manipulate the flavors a bit but my lack of equipment and electric stove make doing real all-grain brewing tough.

I think our beer store nearby may carry Meantime- will check it out.

What you think of Harviestoun's old ales? The ola dubh 30 is unreal.

Alex.V
06-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Oh, and here's the bike...

Coke
06-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Wow man, totally digging that bike!!

krazylarry
06-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Only 6 cups of coffee? lol
how much caffeine do you take a day?

LuNa
06-22-2011, 01:53 PM
All this talk of beer is bad for my diet, especially as im so close to some of the best beers around (Belgium).

Great work, especially the squats after all the other work is very impressive.

Alex.V
06-23-2011, 10:17 AM
All this talk of beer is bad for my diet, especially as im so close to some of the best beers around (Belgium).

Great work, especially the squats after all the other work is very impressive.

LuNa, if you can send me a few bottles of Westvleteren 12, I will make it worth your while!

Thanks Coke, and krazylarry, probably close to a gram! :)

It's a de-loading week, kept my bench day light (315 for a few triples, close grip work, a few sets of reverse grip).

Yesterday was a short 10 mile bike @ ~18-19mph, then a 2 mile run @ 8:30 pace. Today will probably be pulling with feet on blocks or some such, maybe a swim.

Alex.V
06-27-2011, 06:10 AM
I can already tell that daily updates aren't going to happen, so I'll probably do weekly summaries instead.

De-load week on the lifting, give my body a break.

Tuesday was light bench day, worked up to a few easy triples with 365, close grips with 275. The swimming is actually hurting my shoulder at the moment, which is hindering me a bit here. I do need to work on form and flexibility in the water.

Wednesday was a light bike and run, 11 mile bike at ~18mph, 2 mile run at an 8:30 pace. Nice and easy, though hot days are killing me.

Thursday, deadlifing off of 1.5" plates. (increased ROM), worked up to a 585 double, then down to 495 x 6 for a few sets. Jumped in the pool, did about 650 meters of drills.

Saturday, a truly light bench day, speed sets at 245 and 275, skullcrushers with 155, some flexibility work. Went out for a fast(er) bike- 21 mile hilly course, averaged 19mph (averaging about 22-23 mph on the flats, which is where I want to be). Went straight to the trail afterwards for 5 miles @ 8:30 pace.

Sunday, heavy squat day (couldn't resist), worked up to a 645 single in briefs, belt, n'wraps, box squats (just below parallel) with 405, one legged leg press... then in the pool for 800 meters, out to the trail for 3 miles @ 8:15 pace.

Overall, felt pretty good. This weekend wasn't ideal, as I spent far too long in the car driving back and forth to DC, and diet's been a bit off, but can't complain.

Bako Lifter
06-28-2011, 01:57 PM
You're insane.

Coke
06-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Keep it up man, overall output is amazing.

LuNa
06-30-2011, 02:34 PM
LuNa, if you can send me a few bottles of Westvleteren 12, I will make it worth your while!

Looking into it, seems like the most impossible to purchase beer :p.

Alex.V
07-05-2011, 06:55 AM
You're insane.

Aren't we all?

And thanks, Coke, trying to keep some level of dedication going here!

luNa, yes it is, but oh so worth it. Pretend a bottle of Rochefort 10 and a bottle of St. Bernadus Abt had a love child... that would be about 25% of the awesomeness of a westie 12.

So it was a bit of an off week- spent a lot of time in the car (drove down to ATL, went to go see a Celldweller/Blue Stahli show, which was unbelievable... spent some down time at the Aquarium, sat by the pool)... still trying to work the kinks out of my shoulder (which is just getting worse and worse thanks to swimming.

Tuesday was a moderate bench day, worked up to 405 for a few singles, then down to 315. Too much pain to keep benching normally at the moment- can't deal with it. Probably going to switch to close grips for a while. Went downstairs and did a 600 meter swim.

Wednesday was a 16 mile bike and 1 mile run, just to keep my legs loose. Bike was my normal 18 mph average.

Thursday was deadlifts (585 for speed singles, down to 495 for several triples, then 405 x 12), then a 600 meter swim and 3.5 mile run (8:30 pace).

Friday through sunday was off.

Monday was close grip bench (225 x 10 for a few sets, getting used to these again), squats (up to 600 x 1, then 495 x 4, 405 x 10), then off for a 45 mile bike (18 mph). This was tougher than expected, went through water far too quickly (close to 100 degrees out!) and had nothing left for a run. Went out at an 8 minute pace on the run, but both quads cramped on the first hill. Not fun... limped home. Ate a whole bunch.

Got some good sun, though.

Alex.V
07-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Interestingly enough, benching with flared elbows is hurting me less than with elbows in a more tucked position. Close grips are no help. Fuck.

Alex.V
07-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Update, since I'm bored as shit at work.

Tuesday was a light bench day again, worked up to 365 for a few triples. Shoulder's actually improving. Did some mobility work, then jumped in the pool for 600 meters, went out for a quick 2 mile run.

Took wednesday off like the lazy sack of shit I am. And drank a lot of beer.

Thursday was higher rep deadlift work (up to 600 x 3, then 405 for speed triples), 600 meter swim, 3.5 mile run, 7 mile time trial on the bike. (Which was meh... averaged about 20 mph, including hills. On the flats was averaging about 24 mph).

I'm currently carb-loading on candy. Nobody brought donuts into the office. Bastards. Have a long brick workout tomorrow, trying to decide on mileage. Thinking 20 bike, 10 run? No idea.

Bako Lifter
07-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Interestingly enough, benching with flared elbows is hurting me less than with elbows in a more tucked position. Close grips are no help. Fuck.

You know the f-word trick too?

I like the candy carb load.

Alex.V
07-10-2011, 01:46 PM
There's an F word trick? Fuck, didn't know that.

Ended up being a solid workout. Did some higher rep bench work, then brought out the bands, repped out on bench (doubled purples with 225 base weight... I guess that's, what, around 400 at the top?), 3 sets of 6.

Then...

900 meter swim (25 minutes)
27 mile bike (90 minutes)
6.5 mile run (55 minutes)

That's exactly half race distance, which means I'm on pace to do a 5:40 or so. However, this race has a fast current, so swim time will likely be less... so 5:30. I'd need to do it in around 5:00-5:10 to win the clydesdale category. Basically, I need to get my bike speed down even more. I think I can do it, I'm pacing up to around 22-24 mph on the flats, which is enough to smoke most people on straights. It's the bloody hills that are killer... got the legs to sprint up the short ones, but the long hills tank me too fast. May try a full distance (or 50 mile) ride next weekend at pace, which means I need to let my legs recover this week.

Today was squats, worked up to a few heavy sets:

495 x 5
545 x 3 (briefs)
605 x 3 (briefs)
495 x 4
405 x 6
405 x 6

Then some good mornings, some abs, came home, and am currently snacking on hard boiled eggs, coffee, and apples. No idea why that combo, but all this cardio in the hot weather is leaving me with some weird as hell food cravings.

krazylarry
07-10-2011, 03:15 PM
but all this cardio in the hot weather is leaving me with some weird as hell food cravings.

That or you could be pregnant.... :evillaugh:

Coke
07-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Those sessions are super dude!!

Alex.V
07-11-2011, 05:58 AM
Thanks Coke... But god damn, I'm feeling old. Looked through my older journals on here... I missed those days of easy recovery.

larry, it's definitely possible. pickles and ice cream, together, both sound pretty amazing still. That's classic sign number one...

nickp8
07-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Always impressed when I look at the weights you are doing with that much endurance work.

J.C.
07-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Continuing to impress. So when's the first competition?

Alex.V
07-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Bah, the weights are too low and the endurance work is too slow. But thanks!

J.C., first on the list is the beach 2 battleship half-ironman in Wilmington this October. Depending on how that goes, I'll either push for my first ultra next spring, or potentially a full ironman. As far as PL competition, I'm picking up a bench shirt in a few months (once I reach a weight where I'll likely stay due to the huge cardio load), and determine if I'd rather compete equipped or unequipped.. which will determine that schedule.

Since I'm in here, yesterday was bench. Shoulder pain's getting better.

Flat bench, 225 x 12, 275 x 8, 315 x 4, 365 x 4, 435 x 1, 435 x 1.

Did some back, some abs, some curls for the gurls, then down for:

600 meter swim, 16 minutes.
3 mile run, 8:00 pace.

Bruteman
07-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Oh, and here's the bike...

I notice you don't have the "triathlon" handlebars. You know, the dealies where you can rest on your forearms and hold on to the "U" bar in the middle. I really liked them when I was on the flats just kind of cruising along.

krazylarry
07-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Stick with raw lifting, its more fun, and less outside distractions, i.e. getting equipment tailored, having 3 spotters, ect.

ThomasG
07-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Good god you're training is insane. I would have to eat around 8,000 calories(literally) if I did what you do. Excellent work.

Alex.V
07-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Bruteman- Nope, no aerobars. I have a pair of clip on bars I can put on the bike, but right now I'm just trying to get comfortable in the drops... I already lose some power down there. But... it does make sense, I'll need to take advantage of that aero position for the long, straight flats in the race I'm doing.

Larry- no, very good point. The only thing I appreciate about equipped lifting is that, in my experience, it's honestly a bit easier on my joints (shoulders and hips have fewer problems, even at higher weights.

Thomas- yeah, advantage to rapidly becoming an old fart is that I seem to be able to make do on fewer calories. Hooray for me. ... :(

So wednesday was, if I recall, a 12 mile bike at 20 mph or so.

Thursday was deadlifts, worked up to a few singles at 600, which felt good, then some work standing off 1" plates (increased ROM)- higher rep work with 405 (again, if I recall correctly). Followed by a 600 meter swim and fast 2 mile run.

Friday, I hosted a dinner party, and cooked some damn good scratch-made crab spring rolls, sweet and sour shrimp, ginger rice with almonds, and a sake/teriyaki sirloin roast. Oh, and bottles of Founders KBS, Chimay blue, several kinds of sake, Struise Pannepot, and Stone imperial stout.

Saturday was bench, working up to a few quick triples with 335, then band work (lights), then my brick workout:

800 meter swim, ~25 minutes
37 mile bike @ ~18.6 mph (SLOW)
5.1 mile run, 8:15 pace.

Overall not too shabby, but had WAY too much beer the night previous.

Today was squats, and just squats, up to 600 for a few singles, then 405 x 12.

Now i'm home, trying to find food to eat.

Alex.V
07-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Forecast says 100 degrees for my long workout saturday. F that. Means I'll have to limit my beer intake friday night. This is horrible, horrible news.

4g64fiero
07-21-2011, 02:24 PM
I am super jelly. Can I just blame all your progress on genetics?

Alex.V
07-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Oh absolutely. Don't worry, all this time on the bike is making it fairly clear the genetic line will stop right here anyway.

Seriously, those bike seats. Man, after a long ride it takes me an hour to be able to relax enough to piss again.

K-R-M
07-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Hahaha, what the fuck seriously. That's all I can say reading this journal.

Alex.V
07-22-2011, 06:38 AM
Hahaha, what the fuck seriously. That's all I can say reading this journal.

This is likely the best feedback I have received thus far.

I guess an update for the week thus far might be in order...

Tuesday was pseudo-ME bench day..

work sets:
315 x 8
335 x 6
365 x 2
405 x 1 x 1
335 x 8

The good news is, the pain in my shoulder is gone, which means I can start pushing it again next week.

Afterwards, 500 meter swim, then a fairly fast 8 mile bike (speed and hill drills, trying to maintain 20 mph on slight grades, then drop gears and recover at a good cadence.)

Wednesday was a short run (1.5 miles) and a short bike (7 miles). It was about 100 degrees out and humid, and honestly I was tanking out from that before I was getting fatigued. Figured it was better to recover and hydrate.

Thursday, deadlifts:

495 x 2
545 x 2
585 x 1
615 x 1
615 x 1

Put plates under my feet:

495 x 8
405 x 3 x 6 (speed)

I'm slowly trying to up my volume here while avoiding max pulls for a while. Given how my system's more or less borderline overtrained, pulling more than about 85-90% of my max could easily cause injury. I'll wait for a downcycle in the tri training before pushing back over 650.

Went down for a 400 meter swim, strictly drills, focusing on breathing patterns and kicking.

Today's a carbload for the long workout tomorrow. There's not enough food in this bloody office.

Alex.V
07-24-2011, 01:26 PM
What a bitch of a weekend for outside workouts. Heat index over 105 both times I was out there... actual temperature of 103 on Saturday, and the bike computer was showing the road temperature (4 feet over the blacktop) to be able 115. Ouch.

Started out saturday with some bench. work sets:

315 x 6
365 x 2
410 x 1
395 x 2
315 x 10
225 x 18

Skullcrushers, crossovers, and dips to finish off.

Then:

Swim- 750 meters. (Back and chest were already beat to hell... this was painful)

Bike- 30 miles @ ~18.5 mph (Did I mention it was hot? Could hardly stay hydrated, no matter how much I took in).

Bailed on the run, had about a gallon of fluid in my stomach, but nowhere near enough anywhere else.

Sunday:

Squats, work sets (all with belt):

405 x 3
495 x 3
585 x 1 (briefs)
615 x 1 (briefs and knee wraps)
495 x 6
405 x 10

Did some good mornings, overhead squats, and calf raises to finish off.

Then,

6 mile run @ 8:45 pace.

The good ol' sunday 6 n' 6. (600 pound squat, 6 mile run).

A few interesting things I'm noticing.

1) Someone my size has a VERY hard time staying cool, what with my high level of energy expenditure/heat generation and comparatively small surface area.

2) I am not a good sustained-duration climber. However, I kick ass on short hills. Unlike most cyclists, I am better off staying in a high gear and blasting up hills at maximum effort (pure anaerobic), and relying on my better than average anaerobic recovery to repeat the effort than I am dropping into a low gear, picking up the cadence, and trying to maintain.

3) This doesn't apply to running. The fact that wind resistance is negligible in running means that, overall, I am best off always maintaining a constant sustainable level of energy expenditure (read: slow as shit). On the bike, I can be effective kicking in with bursts of power since I maintain speed very well with minimal effort while coasting and while on slight downhills.

4) Though my workouts kinda sucked this weekend, I do take some slight satisfaction in knowing that there are probably not very many human beings who could hope to duplicate the last 24 hours. (400 pound bench, half mile swim, 30 mile bike, 600 pound squat, 6 mile run). Except, I'm sure, for some little Chinese girl who can warm up with my maxes and smoke me in any run.

chevelle2291
07-24-2011, 01:34 PM
What kinda speeds do you hit on a flat, all-out sprint on the bike? I'm guessing 40-ish mph?

Alex.V
07-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Truth be told, I'm not certain. I can cruise around 30-35 for stretches on the straight and not really be going balls out, but at that point I'm already hitting my turnover limit in top gear... I think I'm probably limited in that regard to around there... but again, haven't really measured.

Which is odd, because I would have totally thought that's something I would have done right away.

chevelle2291
07-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Truth be told, I'm not certain. I can cruise around 30-35 for stretches on the straight and not really be going balls out, but at that point I'm already hitting my turnover limit in top gear... I think I'm probably limited in that regard to around there... but again, haven't really measured.

Which is odd, because I would have totally thought that's something I would have done right away.

30-35 with aero bars or just in the drops? In the drops that's pretty damn respectable.

You should give road racing a shot some time man. Crits especially. You have the build to move bishes in the field and I'm guessing you have the sprint too.

Thing I hated about racing was the $$. You can make a very nice, sub 14 lb aluminum crit bike for 2-3k though, especially if you have a bike mechanic friend. Get some aero wheels for 1200 or so, Rival groupset, aluminum frame from Spooky's, and you'd be pretty set.

Alex.V
07-24-2011, 07:13 PM
30-35 with aero bars or just in the drops? In the drops that's pretty damn respectable.

You should give road racing a shot some time man. Crits especially. You have the build to move bishes in the field and I'm guessing you have the sprint too.

Thing I hated about racing was the $$. You can make a very nice, sub 14 lb aluminum crit bike for 2-3k though, especially if you have a bike mechanic friend. Get some aero wheels for 1200 or so, Rival groupset, aluminum frame from Spooky's, and you'd be pretty set.

In the drops, no aeros. Actually, maximum power is lower for me in an overly aero configuration- my leg strength decreases pretty dramatically at acute angles (knees to chest).

$$ was my question that I shot over to you in PM back when your box was full... what kind of bike were you using, what kind of costs, etc. My main concern is that I'd have to devote too much time training specifically for the bike, and I'd start to lose limit strength/body mass. It's all about trying to maintain that completely ridiculous balance.. I don't know what I'd do if my bench dropped under 425. I think my life would likely lose all meaning.

chevelle2291
07-24-2011, 07:37 PM
In the drops, no aeros. Actually, maximum power is lower for me in an overly aero configuration- my leg strength decreases pretty dramatically at acute angles (knees to chest).

$$ was my question that I shot over to you in PM back when your box was full... what kind of bike were you using, what kind of costs, etc. My main concern is that I'd have to devote too much time training specifically for the bike, and I'd start to lose limit strength/body mass. It's all about trying to maintain that completely ridiculous balance.. I don't know what I'd do if my bench dropped under 425. I think my life would likely lose all meaning.

Lol, well if you can handle a bike decently well and you can sprint you can do pretty well in the 4/5s cats. Nothing gets really serious until Cat 3/2. You will have to do some longer rides of 3-4 hours at racing speeds, and some practice races wouldn't hurt. Best thing I could tell ya would be to hook up with a local bike team and just train and ride with them for a while. When I started doing that, my ability exploded.

However, you could probably keep your strength up pretty high if you biked 4 times a week and weight trained the other three. I'm thinking push/pull/legs or whathaveyou, with 2 sessions of bike training being practice races or team rides, and then two other rides at a lower intensity, longer duration. I could see that being pretty manageable, actually.

I was using a 2005 Fuji Pro with the stock wheels and a dura-ace group. Probably weighed 17-18 in full race kit. Cost me about 2200 with the dura-ace, which was a steal back in the day. The one problem I had and what I would do differently if I were to get back into it again full blast was that I'd get a frame that I didn't really give a shit about and spend more on the wheels, which really make a difference.

Once you buy the bike, however, the costs drop pretty dramatically. A lot of companies offer crash replacement for their frames, which is usually half off for a new frame if you bust one up.

With crit racing the risk of crashing is pretty high if you don't know what you are doing and if you are in the 5s as noobs will cut your line every chance they get. There is also a lot of bunching and braking for corners, which catches some people off guard. But, a guy your size should be able to bully people out of your line pretty easily.

Edit: in terms of body mass, unless you are really piling in the food, you'll probably lose some size. You'd probably have to take in 6-8k a day to not shrink up at your size, which is possible to do if you just chow down ice cream at every meal. The great thing about racing is you can just eat whatever you want, none of it is gonna stick.

chevelle2291
07-24-2011, 07:48 PM
http://www.spookybikes.com/bikes/skeletor
^^I've heard great things about these builds, that bb30 build would be sick.

http://www.psimet.com/Wheels/carbon-wheels.html
^shameless plug for a buddy of mine. Dude makes some great stuff and he'd probably cut you a pretty good deal on a great build.

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/road/elite-road/2011-caad10/2011-caad-10-4-rival
^^If you wanted to go with a full build, this would be hard to beat. The wheels probably suck but the caad10 frame is fucking solid, as is the caad9 if you can find one. This leaves you with plenty of cash to spend on race wheels.

/vomitfrommouthaboutbikeracing.

Alex.V
07-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the input and advice man, I've checked out the links, taking what you said into consideration... thinking about priorities, again. It'll be a long process. ;) See, the whole goal is to be able to excel at all these things, and as such I do need to take a pretty cautious approach. As it stands, I'm gauging the impact that this cardio is having, tracking calories expended pretty carefully and using day to day strength and week to week body mass as an indicator.
This is all compounded by my trying to stay well under 10% bodyfat.

Oh well. EITHER WAY...

Decent midweek training, if nothing spectacular. Did some reverse band bench and speed sets with 225-315 (the latter not really being speed, just explosive triples), then some barbell rows with 315/365.

Then swim: 1300 meters, straight. Felt decent, actually. Not much effort.

Wednesday was an 11 mile bike, worked to maintain 20 mph over hilly terrain. My quads are NOT recovering properly.

Thursday started with deadlifts, decided to try something different. Work sets:

405 x 6
495 x 3
545 x 2
625 x 1

Put on squat briefs and a belt, just for shits and giggles.

625 x 1 x 1
495 x 5

Felt...odd. I was about to say they didn't help much, but doing more than two reps over 600 in one workout, especially given my current state, is pretty rare. So I have to say, as much as my groove is thrown off, the gear may just help.

SLDLs with 405, face pulls, lateral raises, and a 4 mile run @ 8:30 pace in 100 degree heat to finish off.

Currently eating donuts.

Oh, and started HMB this week... as much as it seems to be relatively worthless for most trainees, the statistically significant improvements tend to be seen in athletes who are either dramatically changing their routines, or are in a catabolic state. This would hint to me that this might just help. We shall see.

Alex.V
08-01-2011, 06:16 AM
Safe to say the heat is killing me... I just cannot stay hydrated when the road temperature is over 105, which means on these long runs and bikes it's dehydration that limits me LONG before lung capacity or fatigue.

Went out for a bike on saturday morning:

47 miles, ~18.2 mph

This was painful, I just tanked out by the end. Can't carry enough water.

Headed to the gym, did a DE bench day.

Nothing spectacular, given I could hardly walk and was almost passing out an hour before, but still did (among other things)

315 x 3 x 6
275 x 12 x 2

Then some BB militaries with 185/225

Sunday was legs:

Squats, work sets:

405 x 4
495 x 3
605 x 1 x 3
495 x 6
405 x 10

Good mornings to finish off, then:

Swim, 800 meters
Run, 6.1 miles. And was literally as soaking wet after the run as I was after the swim.

bloodybob
08-01-2011, 03:38 PM
This journal is madness. I would love to couple this kind of strength with this kind of cardiovascular conditioning someday.
Every post any pics? (not to be a huge creep, just wondering)

Also, what does your diet look like with this kind of regiment?

krazylarry
08-02-2011, 12:26 AM
I have found that drinking a quart of 2, 2 hours before training is the only way to stay hydrated in the summer when training MMA.

He posts pics, here's one.

bloodybob
08-02-2011, 01:11 PM
^lol

Coke
08-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Awesome with those 605 squats, props on the swimming and running too.

Alex.V
08-03-2011, 06:31 AM
Coke, thanks mate!

Larry, put some bike shorts on that dude and otherwise cardiobunnify him, and I'm... hm, yeah. Not quite. Only when I look in the mirror. On good days. With a handful of quaaludes.

Bob- Not here, I don't think... never been one for bodybuilding really, so never saw the need. Maybe I'll post up my finish line pic from the first race. ;) As for my diet, I'll post yesterday's below.

So yesterday was a pretty decent workout, all things considered.

Heavy bench day (I should put that in quotes).

Work sets:

315 x 6
365 x 2
405 x 3
365 x 6
315 x 5 (Elbow started hurting here, so backed off)

Did some BB rows with 315 (sets of 8), cable rows, curls, and windshield wipers, then:

1 mile swim (1650 meters), ~33 minutes.

This is about what I want for race pace... I shoot for 30 seconds a lap or so, which is MUCH slower than I used to swim back in high school (I did 50 and 100 meter free), but I can maintain it nearly indefinitely (if my damn foot doesn't cramp). GIven that the race will be 1900 meters, but WITH the current, and the top guys in my racing category are swimming around 35 minutes, I should be well within that (the current knocks times down by 20-30%).

Which means all I need to do is keep my bike solid, then up my training volume a bit so I don't cramp on the run.

Diet yesterday:

-Oat bran cereal with blueberries
-Carb-master yogurt smoothie (with almond milk)
-3 apples
-One of those whey shot drinks from GNC. (tasted like liquid ass)
-About six cups of coffee. (with half n half/splenda)
-Granola bar
-Glass of milk with honey pre-workout
-Pretzel chips post-workout while cooking.
-1.25 pounds of parmesan-crusted baked sea bass, then about half a chicken thigh from the girlfriend's meal (she never finishes what I make for her... I think I give her me-sized portions so that I can have her leftovers.
-A bunch of parboiled rice with sliced ginger and about a quarter pound of shrimp
-1 large (22 ounce) bottle of homebrewed belgian ale (Rochefort clone, ~9.5% abv)
-1 glass of sake
-Blueberries and frozen sliced banana.
-About two tablespoons of peanut butter

I think that about covers it. If anybody wants to calculate how many calories are in that, be my guest, but I have not a clue.

chevelle2291
08-03-2011, 09:57 AM
mmmmmmmmmmm.......liquid ass.

Alex.V
08-03-2011, 10:25 AM
I woulda guessed you'd have tried it, but not enjoyed it. Go figure.

chevelle2291
08-03-2011, 10:28 AM
I woulda guessed you'd have tried it, but not enjoyed it. Go figure.

Nah, never tried the whey shot drinks. Stick to powders most of the time.

I have an aversion to products that come in those little shot containers. I once 'found' a cache of 300 Red Bull Energy Shots in my college dorm and spent the next month in a Taurine/caffeine stupor. Good times, but the withdrawal was exhausting. :evillaugh:

Alex.V
08-03-2011, 10:46 AM
I meant liquid ass.

:D

chevelle2291
08-03-2011, 11:27 AM
smart ass.:tuttut:

Chubrock
08-03-2011, 12:03 PM
What swim technique are you currently using? Head down this way sometime soon. We'll hit the beach for a swim. I, too, sink like a rock in pool water. Down here you'll find that you'll stay fairly buoyant during your open water swims, and as you noted before, the current in the sound moves at a pretty nice clip. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how quickly you finish up the swim.

You were talking about how tight your glutes and hamstrings were getting from the bike. What's your mobility work looking like?

Alex.V
08-04-2011, 07:26 PM
What swim technique are you currently using? Head down this way sometime soon. We'll hit the beach for a swim. I, too, sink like a rock in pool water. Down here you'll find that you'll stay fairly buoyant during your open water swims, and as you noted before, the current in the sound moves at a pretty nice clip. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how quickly you finish up the swim.

You were talking about how tight your glutes and hamstrings were getting from the bike. What's your mobility work looking like?

I am pretty stoked- I think the swim will go better than anticipated. I might just head down that way once or twice before the race, get my ass in the water and try it out.

Mobility work? A whole dynamic stretching routine before and after my thursday deadlift session and sunday leg session... without the boring details, it's fairly comprehensive. The main issue is really just old hamstring tears and the resultant scar tissue. If you have any suggestions, though, I'm all ears, as always.

Today was deadlifts:

405 x 8
495 x 3
545 x 3
615 x 2

Added 2" of pads under my feet, so extending ROM:

495 x 5
405 x 12

Did some shoulder crap, some abs, then...

4 mile run, 8:00 pace (hill workout).

That's about it.... not a very thrilling workout. Tomorrow is carb up day, though, so I'm fairly excited, to say the least.

Chubrock
08-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Will (HomeY) has, IMO, a very solid mobility regime. I've tried to follow it as often as possible, though admittedly I do a poor job of it. Light warmup, foam rolling before all sessions, mobility (runs Agile 8) before all lower sessions, and band assisted stretching (both dynamic and static) for about 10 minutes after all training sessions. He's very big on his mobility work and when I've run it, it certainly has paid off. One thing you might consider is the carryover of static stretching into the next day's training. You typically see about a 24hr residual effect on a one minute static stretch. You may want to look at adding some stretching the night before your DL/SQ days. I think you'll find it helps things out.

As for swim technique, are you currently following anything specific or just kind of wingin' it? I've started implementing a lot of Total Immersion's cues and techniques and have had some good success. Went from a 150m ocean swim being a smoke session to a ~1300m ocean swim in 30:31 at a clip that barely raised my heart rate. The technique isn't the fastest for sprint length tris, but I think it would be near perfect for a half or ultra length.

krazylarry
08-04-2011, 10:49 PM
I'm surprised you don't eat more protein. Seems like a pretty normal diet. minus the amount of total food.

Alex.V
08-07-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm surprised you don't eat more protein. Seems like a pretty normal diet. minus the amount of total food.

That's kind of been my point all along about people and their crazy diets... given that my protein requirements are probably higher than 95% of the people on this board, just given the type of training I do...

Hey chubs, I will indeed try out static stretching the day before squats and deads... certainly can't hurt. I never had much love for it, even in my muay thai days (when I could do a complete split), but at this point... the game's certainly changed. And do indeed have at least the total immersion tri book. My form's... getting there, but clearly isn't what it should be. Again, it's all about training myself to do something that flies in the face of my training for the last few years. :)

Thanks for the feedback and tips, mate, always welcome.

Workouts this weekend were a bit meh... I was looking forward to the rainy forecast to give me some nice drizzly breezy days so I could push the long brick without worrying about the heat. Instead... it was just a hell of a lot of humidity.

Saturday was higher rep bench work...

Work sets:

225 x 12
275 x 10
315 x 8
245 x 12

Skullcrushers with 155, military press with 225, some other accessory shite.. then:

1.2K swim
40K bike
10K run

(Note I use kilometers... they make it sound farther).

The run was brutal... at that point I was soaking wet from sweat, couldn't stay hydrated... 80% humidity at 93 degrees, running near a lake. Awful. Overall times were decent, but not great.

Today was squats:

405 x 6
495 x 2
605 x 2
495 x 6
405 x 8

Good mornings with 315 for sets of 8, then with 225 and paused for sets of 12.

Some other accessory crap, now I'm eating M&Ms. mm. Oh, and have a bottle of westvleteren 12 and a struise pannepot reserva waiting for me in the fridge.

Alex.V
08-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Benched 405 for a few sets for a few reps, then swam 2 kilometers.

Oh, and did some other assorted crap. Managed to hold an iron cross for about 20 seconds. That was kinda cool.

Alex.V
08-10-2011, 05:18 PM
15 mile bike, 20 mph. Cycling is actually making my legs bigger.

I still look like a dork in bike shorts.

Alex.V
08-12-2011, 05:59 AM
Deadlift thursday:

work sets:

405 x 6
495 x 3
545 x 2
635 x 2

Put 2" blocks under my feet

495 x 3
405 x 10

Not too bad.. I think the extra hamstring work on sunday is paying off... I'm not getting much weaker here, which is nice. Actually, felt stronger on deads than I have in months.

Lateral raises, windshield wipers, then outside for a run:

4.1 miles @ 8:15 pace.

Not too bad.

It's carb-up day.

Chubrock
08-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Nice deads, adding any stretching in?

chevelle2291
08-12-2011, 12:11 PM
No one looks good in bike shorts except Lance.

You wearing shorts or Bibs? Bibs are 10x more comfortable.

Did you drink milk after those deadlifts, or a protein shake? :p

Alex.V
08-13-2011, 07:52 PM
No one looks good in bike shorts except Lance.

You wearing shorts or Bibs? Bibs are 10x more comfortable.

Did you drink milk after those deadlifts, or a protein shake? :p

Bike shorts. They're actually fairly comfortable, I just think my prostate isn't meant to support 225 pounds or so. And honestly, they DO look kinda cool SOMETIMES, given I can see my veins through them after a ride.

Granted, I still look like a total douche overall on the bike, but... at least I have a Stone Arrogant Bastard bike jersey.

Milk with rice-based protein powder. I know, the bioavailability is only like, 89%, 11% less than whey! I make up for this by using about 10% more. I survive, somehow. Anyway, yeah, that. And a banana. Good stuff, really. Hasn't let me down.

Chub- yes indeed, as much as I can when I remember.

Alex.V
08-13-2011, 07:56 PM
So in order to legitimize my workouts in the eyes of whomever may be reading, I will attempt to frame this latest workout as a crossfit WOD. Of course, it won't follow the correct format, but so what. It's my WOD.

I will call this workout "Sparkles", since that's no less retarded than calling it Helen.

Ok, so, Sparkles:

5 sets of 150% bodyweight BP for 5 reps(315-ish, in my case)
3 sets of 100% bodyweight military press (5 reps, 225)
20 dips/leg raises.
1 mile swim
45 mile bike
8 mile run.

Repeat one time, because if you can do this more than once, you are clearly a fucking god and don't need to be working out.

Oh, and try to do it in less than 4.5 hours, including transition and dry heaving time.

Looking at it, there should probably be some burpees in it. Or kipping pullups. Or some shit.

chevelle2291
08-13-2011, 08:01 PM
So in order to legitimize my workouts in the eyes of whomever may be reading, I will attempt to frame this latest workout as a crossfit WOD. Of course, it won't follow the correct format, but so what. It's my WOD.

I will call this workout "Sparkles", since that's no less retarded than calling it Helen.

Ok, so, Sparkles:

5 sets of 150% bodyweight BP for 5 reps(315-ish, in my case)
3 sets of 100% bodyweight military press (5 reps, 225)
20 dips/leg raises.
1 mile swim
45 mile bike
8 mile run.

Repeat one time, because if you can do this more than once, you are clearly a fucking god and don't need to be working out.

Oh, and try to do it in less than 4.5 hours, including transition and dry heaving time.

Looking at it, there should probably be some burpees in it. Or kipping pullups. Or some shit.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd320/scootercp/random/1264258322806.gif

I see you are enjoying the latest addition to the forums.

Only thing that pisses me off is that Crossfit is now ABOVE bbing and powerlifting. Hrm, no. Get that shit below the longstanding sections of this board.

krazylarry
08-13-2011, 11:47 PM
So doing once makes you a Demi-god?

Alex.V
08-14-2011, 02:25 PM
So doing once makes you a Demi-god?

Nah, just a poser. That's all I am, at any rate....

Alex.V
08-14-2011, 02:31 PM
I see you are enjoying the latest addition to the forums.

Only thing that pisses me off is that Crossfit is now ABOVE bbing and powerlifting. Hrm, no. Get that shit below the longstanding sections of this board.

hahaha, always have. You know, I'm sort of glad it has its own section now, inasmuch that that shows folks are beginning to realize it's its own discipline. What used to drive me crazy about crossfit and crossfitters was that its casual practitioners thought it was the ultimate regimen for improving multiple fitness parameters at once.

And I happen to disagree wholeheartedly. In my opinion, the fact that there are too many ill-defined goals as targets make it a terrible way to go for most folks.. I mean, what's important? Speed/duration of workout? Weights used? Limit strength? Proper form? Hypertrophy? Anaerobic endurance? Aerobic endurance? Sprint speed? Number of pullups you can do? There are simply too many measures of progress (and therefore, too many factors that can stagnate yet be ignored) to make it as much of a catch-all as some folks insist. Yes, it absolutely can have its place, but it's like any other discipline in that it's best evaluated as its own entity, and not over-prescribed. I mean, at the end of the day, I suppose I truly see no purpose.... I'd happily put my aerobic endurance, limit strength, sprint speed, and strength relative to bodyweight up against most crossfitters and I think I'd come out pretty well by comparison. And I'm not exactly exceptional on any of those scales.

ANYWAY.

Today was just legs..

Squats:

405 x 6
495 x 3
635 x 1 (briefs n belt)
495 x 8 (briefs n belt)
405 x 6

Good mornings:

315 x 6
315 x 6

Some calf work, then went out for a beer. It's good to not have cardio.

chevelle2291
08-14-2011, 03:28 PM
And I'm not exactly exceptional on any of those scales.

635 x 1 (briefs n belt)

http://gifsforum.com/images/image/not%20sure%20if%20serious/mini/not_sure_if_serious_8.jpg

krazylarry
08-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Pretty sure he is serious. Belial is the man, not because he is is great at one thing, but because he is very good at everything, which I feel is more impressive.

That dog is awesome BTW.

Isaac Wilkins
08-15-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm not going to read back because I'm not sure if I have the strength for five pages of your journal. Forgive me if this has already been answered, but...

How far CAN you throw a softball?

:evillaugh:

J.C.
08-15-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm not going to read back because I'm not sure if I have the strength for five pages of your journal. Forgive me if this has already been answered, but...

Is this a crossfit joke?

chevelle2291
08-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Pretty sure he is serious. Belial is the man, not because he is is great at one thing, but because he is very good at everything, which I feel is more impressive.

That dog is awesome BTW.

He reminds me of that dog in Balto who was a real pain in the ass. I think it was Scar or something. The one who was such a douche to Balto.

K-R-M
08-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Nah, just a poser. That's all I am, at any rate....

Sure.

I always want to post in your journal, but then I realize the only things I can say are: good job (understated) or what the fuck/holy shit.

Impressive stuff. How long did it take you to build yourself up to this point?

I like your diet btw, it breaks every notion you hear about standard internet bodybuilding/sports diets.

Isaac Wilkins
08-16-2011, 05:15 AM
Is this a crossfit joke?

Indeed it is.

Alex.V
08-16-2011, 06:50 PM

That dog is awesome BTW.

Hey, thanks man, I appreciate that. For me, I've got plenty of respect either way- people want to specialize and kick ass at one thing, more power to them. if they want to branch out, and try to excel at what they think they suck at... well, more power to them too. After all, this is all about the challenge, isn't it? Setting goals that seem unrealistic, and realizing over time that you can meet em and beat em.

Alex.V
08-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Sure.

I always want to post in your journal, but then I realize the only things I can say are: good job (understated) or what the fuck/holy shit.

Impressive stuff. How long did it take you to build yourself up to this point?

I like your diet btw, it breaks every notion you hear about standard internet bodybuilding/sports diets.

haha, that's sort of the idea (the diet). The whole routine and diet here are unexceptional (serious, chevelle, serious)... it's really more about seeing what the body is capable of, provided the overall workload is manageable. I've always preached that people can reduce the effort they put into designing and adhering to their complex routines and diet plans by 50%, and still reap 95% of the results... so this is me practicing what I preach. The diet's got enough carbs, enough protein, and enough overall calories... so really, I COULD tweak the macros and time things to perfection, but would it really make a difference?

To build myself to this point... hmm... Only been seriously into the running/cardio for the last two years or so, lifting was a serious interest for about seven years prior. Of course, there have been injuries and periods of lackluster motivation in between. :)

Thanks for checking in, mate. Always glad to see that some people are checking things out (and hopefully providing constructive feedback if they see me doing something stupid).

Alex.V
08-16-2011, 06:58 PM

bahaha, what's up man? Welcome to my little corner of weirdness.

Yeah, for anyone who's reading, it's a crossfit joke. It was a bit of a shark-jumping moment when the "softball throw" was introduced at the crossfit games. I mean, really... the last time I threw a softball was when I was playing catch with my little sister back in middle school.

ANYWAY, ok, today's workout....

Went a bit lighter on the bench press- i came pretty close to a pec tear (or bad strain) on saturday, didn't realize it until Monday when even driving hurt (shifting was a bitch..). So:

Bench press:

225 x 12
275 x 8
315 x 6
335 x 6
385 x 2 (stopped, my chest felt a bit warm)
315 x 10

Did some seated militaries with 110 pound dumbbells, then loads of stretching, some windshield wipers, weighted pull-ups with 135 added, then...

1900 meter swim, ~40 minutes.

That was about it.

PS- YES! Creatine DOES dissolve in sake.

joey54
08-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Cool to see you branching out to crossfit. Certainly have the work capacity to do so.

chevelle2291
08-16-2011, 07:17 PM
haha, that's sort of the idea (the diet). The whole routine and diet here are unexceptional (serious, chevelle, serious)... it's really more about seeing what the body is capable of, provided the overall workload is manageable. I've always preached that people can reduce the effort they put into designing and adhering to their complex routines and diet plans by 50%, and still reap 95% of the results... so this is me practicing what I preach. The diet's got enough carbs, enough protein, and enough overall calories... so really, I COULD tweak the macros and time things to perfection, but would it really make a difference?

hahaha. The only thing I disagree with you on is the whole protein recommendations, and I have no proof for my side, I'm just comfortable with 1.5 x BW. It's a comfort thing. :p

I eat ice cream and skittles pretty much every other day.

chevelle2291
08-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Hey, thanks man, I appreciate that. For me, I've got plenty of respect either way- people want to specialize and kick ass at one thing, more power to them. if they want to branch out, and try to excel at what they think they suck at... well, more power to them too. After all, this is all about the challenge, isn't it? Setting goals that seem unrealistic, and realizing over time that you can meet em and beat em.

What if they are specializing and sucking ass at one thing?

http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/9425324.jpg

Alex.V
08-17-2011, 06:48 AM
Cool to see you branching out to crossfit. Certainly have the work capacity to do so.

:scratch:

What if they are specializing and sucking ass at one thing?

Maybe it's the skittles, man. Skittles are the devil. Those little pieces of rainbow actually steal your soul.

Alex.V
08-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Wednesday was a 16 mile bike. The down side, I got a flat. The up side, I learned how to change a flat. Only took me five minutes. Granted, it sucked, but it actually does feel good to know that, in a pinch, I can fix mechanical issues on the bike. Average of 20 mph, btw.

Thursday was deadlifts:

405 x 4
495 x 4
645 x 2 (First one, slow as shit off the ground. Second, slow as shit during lockout)

Got up on 2" plates:

495 x 1 x 8
405 x 10

Not bad. Finished up with lateral raises (60's), face pulls, rear delt raises.

Went out for a 4 mile run at an 8:30 pace.

Carbing up for tomorrow.

Alex.V
08-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Today was somewhat painful. Hotter than expected, over 101 degrees out on the road.

Some speed work for bench, but actually really just high rep work.

225 x 10
275 x 10
315 x 10
225 x 20

Military with 225, shoulder press on plate-loaded machine with 160 per side, pushdowns, cable crossovers, then...

1.1 mile swim, ~31 minutes
50.5 mile bike, ~18 mph (SLOW. wtf. I was tanked, man. Had to stop to refill water bottles twice)
6.2 mile run, ~ 1 hour. Also slow.

Meh, not a stellar workout, but the Marumoto unfiltered Sake and the Kasteel Donker I just had were pretty awesome.

K-R-M
08-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Today was somewhat painful. Hotter than expected, over 101 degrees out on the road.

Some speed work for bench, but actually really just high rep work.

225 x 10
275 x 10
315 x 10
225 x 20

Military with 225, shoulder press on plate-loaded machine with 160 per side, pushdowns, cable crossovers, then...

1.1 mile swim, ~31 minutes
50.5 mile bike, ~18 mph (SLOW. wtf. I was tanked, man. Had to stop to refill water bottles twice)
6.2 mile run, ~ 1 hour. Also slow.

Meh, not a stellar workout, but the Marumoto unfiltered Sake and the Kasteel Donker I just had were pretty awesome.

You are one dedicated mofo.

Are you planning on getting back/breaking your old lifting PRs eventually?

I'm trying out sparkles this week btw :evillaugh:.

Alex.V
08-21-2011, 07:04 AM
You are one dedicated mofo.

Are you planning on getting back/breaking your old lifting PRs eventually?

I'm trying out sparkles this week btw :evillaugh:.

I am... it's going to be tough, though, as I'm down about ten pounds of bodyweight, and it's difficult to stuff myself (and recuperate) to the point where I can peak for a solid max. My recent maxes (within the last year) have been done when I've been well-recovered and overfed... Not easy to do with this training. everything's creeping back up, though, so who knows.

You'll love Sparkles. She hurts your crotch, though.

Alex.V
08-21-2011, 12:19 PM
My legs were unhappy this morning, for obvious reasons, so I figured the best thing to do would be to stick to my routine and do my leg workout.

Naturally.

Which went pretty well.

Squats:

405 x 6
495 x 4
600 x 3 (w/briefs n belt)
645 x 1 (briefs and belt). This tied my all time PR.
495 x 6
405 x 14

That last set hurt like a bitch. My legs at this point informed me of the following:

- My parents were not married
- I routinely copulate with women who have already borne offspring
- My mother is of the Canidae family, specifically a female canis lupus familiaris, and I am her son.
- I am an anal sphincter.

Once this tirade was completed, I did the following:

Good mornings:

315 x 6
225 x 12
225 x 10

Then calf raises, now I'm home. Hooray.

Overall not a bad week.

Invain
08-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Shit I never realized how strong you were. Have you competed in the past?

Bako Lifter
08-21-2011, 01:22 PM
You have weird legs.

Alex.V
08-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Shit I never realized how strong you were. Have you competed in the past?

Nah, nothing sanctioned unfortunately. I never really prioritized competition... amusingly enough it took my participation in a few races (marathons) to really give me the competition bug, hence this journal and new-found motivation to train properly and actually go out and see what I can do.

Bako- yeah, they're all kinds of fucked up. Rude, too.

J.C.
08-22-2011, 03:45 PM
So when are you doing the meet? If you're giving yourself a year to achieve this, I'm curious what the most sensible periodisation is in terms of maximising recovery and manipulating bodyweight. Or are you all like like, "ironman the day after a meet? Fuck it. Ultramarathon coming up? Think I'll do 20rep squats in the middle... For a break. Hydration? I've got my homebrew haven't I? Normal programming? Could take it or leave it."

Seriously though, I enjoy reading your journal man. I'd love to start more endurance work again, but the problem is that I need another couple of years to get my strength up to where I want before changing direction. I want to build a bigger base before I start trying to work on too many things.

LuNa
08-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Nice work as per usual. Thanks a lot for the help with my training schedule btw. Im getting pretty excited about competing in the 5km and am already thinking of future competitions.

Alex.V
08-24-2011, 07:38 AM
"ironman the day after a meet? Fuck it. Ultramarathon coming up? Think I'll do 20rep squats in the middle... For a break. Hydration? I've got my homebrew haven't I? Normal programming? Could take it or leave it."

Dude.

How you read into my internal monologue, I have no idea, but this is more or less my training philosophy in a nutshell, no joke.

Actually, the meet is what's more or less up in the air... while I'm trying to make the argument that it's possible to TRAIN for all these disciplines at once, I'm willing to admit it's nearly impossible to peak for all of them within a small window.

The plan as it stands now is the half ironman in October, a PL meet some time near the end of winter (since my outdoor cardio will be reduced anyhow), ramping back up for ironman Lake Placid in the summer, then a trail ultra (50 miler, mountain course) this time next year. The idea behind training all concurrently is that no major detraining occurs for any particular event... at any given moment, I'd want to be able to perform at about 85% of peak in any event. Which, thus far, is doable. (Different energy systems etc) Bodyweight... trying to maintain where it's at. Yes, the ironman and ultra would be easier if I were 60 pounds lighter, but where's the challenge in that? And I worked too hard to put on this muscle to be willing to drop even a few pounds of it just to make going uphill easier.

From where you are, again man, I don't know if they're mutually exclusive. If anything, I'd say you can easily start swimming and/or cycling without having to compromise strength and size gains, provided you DO eat enough.

Luna, very glad to hear it! I gotta check in over on your journal, haven't been on much. But good on ya, kick ass.

Yesterday was a marginally entertaining workout, if nothing else because I had half an hour to kill between the end of my lift and the pool opening, which of course meant I got to wander around and be my normal irritating self.

Bench press:

275 x 10
315 x 6
365 x 3
425 x 3 (not bad, eh)
335 x 6

Paused bench

315 x 3 x 3 (~10 second pause, explosive concentric)

Dumbbell rows with the 110s, pulldowns, windshield wipers (times several dozen, since some people wanted to learn how to do these, so naturally I demonstrated)

Then...

~1900 meter swim, ~35 minutes or so. Felt really good. Spend the entire swim running through interview scenarios for today.. (BD director position with a small west-coast CRO). Made the time pass faster.

That's about it.

joey54
08-24-2011, 10:39 AM
10 seond pause with 315 is no joke. I could do it on squats.

Alex.V
08-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Yeah, the concentric after those... not so fast. Explosive refers to the effort, the actual speed was somewhere between "slow" and "government".

Wednesday was a fast bike, 14 miles at around 20 mph average (including stopping at a light, a few cross streets, and once when I slowed down to check out an orange lamborghini. (Gallardo, but still).

Thursday was deadlifts:

405 x 5
495 x 5
545 x 2
635 x 1
660 x big fat fucking miss. Combination of my left forearm seizing up like hell (tendonitis), and my basically being a pussy little bitch.
495 x 9 (forearm still ached... I need to alternate my over/under)
405 x 4 x 3 (speed sets)

405 x 6 (conventional stance)

Did some lateral raises, abs, then went for a 1900 meter swim (~36 minutes or so)

Today was chest, and just chest, since there's a bit of a breeze outside (supposedly a hurricane, though it's been pretty weaksauce here)

275 x 12
315 x 12
275 x 16
225 x 24

whee! Look at all those reps!

Skullcrushers with 155 on the bar, three sets of about 8.

Cable crossovers, dip/leg raise combinations, then spent about five minutes watching this crossfit guy destroy his lower back doing various kettlebell and power clean movements.

Now I'm eating cookies and drinking beer, since I have a long workout tomorrow.

Chris Rodgers
08-27-2011, 02:09 PM
:windup:

I remember this guy. Good luck with your goals B. I definitely don't envy the marathon training! Anything over about 40 yards is too much, haha.

krazylarry
08-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Is that a PR with 315?

FYI I like to to warm up with the alternate my over/under grip, than switch to my normal one for work sets. Seems to be working pretty good.

Alex.V
08-29-2011, 09:53 AM
:windup:

I remember this guy. Good luck with your goals B. I definitely don't envy the marathon training! Anything over about 40 yards is too much, haha.

Damn, look at this dude. What's up man, good to see you stickin around. I forgot your new moniker and fancy pro journal. Thanks for checkin in.

Alex.V
08-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Is that a PR with 315?

FYI I like to to warm up with the alternate my over/under grip, than switch to my normal one for work sets. Seems to be working pretty good.

No clue, actually, I never really tracked rep PRs. Could very well be.

That's actually a good suggestion on the grip, I think I used to do that back in the day but fell out of it- definitely need to maintain my regular for the heavy sets, but no reason not to mix things up in the warm up.

My workout sucked ass yesterday. Don't know if it was the heat, or lack of calories, or what, but missed my goal.

Anyway here it was:

Swim- 1.2 miles (~40 minutes)
Bike- 57 miles (3 hours 15 minutes or so, with a water stop and a stop to help catch a runaway puppy)
Run- 5 miles (50 minutes. crapped out here big time. Cramps, dehydrated like a motherfucker, and zero left in the tank. meant to do at least 8, just couldn't. Needed to eat more on the bike, and have it not be 100 degrees on the road).

Bah.

LuNa
08-29-2011, 02:17 PM
No clue, actually, I never really tracked rep PRs. Could very well be.

That's actually a good suggestion on the grip, I think I used to do that back in the day but fell out of it- definitely need to maintain my regular for the heavy sets, but no reason not to mix things up in the warm up.

My workout sucked ass yesterday. Don't know if it was the heat, or lack of calories, or what, but missed my goal.

Anyway here it was:

Swim- 1.2 miles (~40 minutes)
Bike- 57 miles (3 hours 15 minutes or so, with a water stop and a stop to help catch a runaway puppy)
Run- 5 miles (50 minutes. crapped out here big time. Cramps, dehydrated like a motherfucker, and zero left in the tank. meant to do at least 8, just couldn't. Needed to eat more on the bike, and have it not be 100 degrees on the road).

Bah.

Good work on saving the puppy :p.

joey54
08-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Can't believe you missed that 680 dead. Sure it would be easy for you if you were "fresh".

Alex.V
08-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Good work on saving the puppy :p.

Thanks man, if one thing's for certain, no puppy will be left behind. Not on my watch.

Alex.V
08-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Can't believe you missed that 680 dead. Sure it would be easy for you if you were "fresh".

Man, yeah, appreciate that. I'm feeling hugely depleted at the moment- I finally put a set of aerobars on my bike, which should take some of the excessive stress off my lower back. That's what's been killing my lifts, I think... everything from bench to deadlifts- my lower back has been constantly sore and beaten up.

Also, I'm a pussy.

Anyway, Monday was squats, kept it lighter than usual:

405 x 5
495 x 5
545 x 3
605 x 2
495 x 3 x 5

Good mornings:

315 x 6
315 x 6
225 x 11

Wow, yeah, lower back and hamstrings toast.

Tuesday was bench, again light (lower back hurt too much to use my regular arch):

315 x 6
365 x 2
405 x 2
365 x 4
315 x 10

Pulldowns, windshield wipers, pull-ups, and curls to finish off. No cardio.

Today was bike:

16 miles @ ~22 mph.

Can I just say I frickin LOVE aerobars. I wrote a poem to them:

Oh gorgeous aerobars
How I love you so
If that I could make love to you
but you'd probably get stuck.

My poem needs work. I was thinking maybe like an operatic metal riff in the background might help.

Anyway. The following picture demonstrates the current proper post-workout nutrition.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15444290/Nutrition.JPG

krazylarry
08-31-2011, 03:11 PM
A 405 pound bench, doughnuts and a puppy, add in sex with twins and you basically just described my picture of heaven on earth in 2 post.

J.C.
08-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Can I just say I frickin LOVE aerobars. I wrote a poem to them:

Oh gorgeous aerobars
How I love you so
If that I could make love to you
but you'd probably get stuck.

My poem needs work. I was thinking maybe like an operatic metal riff in the background might help.

Maybe a haiku?

Bike speeding on road
Aerobars arouse cyclist
Oh look, a puppy!

5-7-5 baby...

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Bruteman
08-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

I don't know why, but that made me laugh hystericaly. It is now my favorite poem ever.

Alex.V
09-19-2011, 01:51 PM
I don't know why, but that made me laugh hystericaly. It is now my favorite poem ever.

Me too. I may use that in the future.

I have been slack as shit when it comes to updating. Nothing stunning to report, workouts have been meh lately. Still on the border of overtraining, but finding my groove I think.

Last week's three lifts:

Bench- 435
Deadlift- 615
Squat- 635

So still hovering around 1680-1700 with my total. What's nice is that I think I have another 25-50 in both my squat and DL if I hit them fresh... my bench is at a wall though. What's keeping my lower body lifts strong is the fact that as I've lost quad mass, I've worked hard to build up glutes and hamstrings (a lot of box squatting and good mornings), which has kept strength stable. It is VERY difficult to maintain upper body mass all around when burning over 6000 calories a week from cardio alone, and my arms and chest are struggling.

Best distances:

Swim= 1.2 miles in 36 minutes
Bike= 57 miles in 3:15
Run= 8 miles in 72 minutes.

Longest brick workout has been 1.2 mile swim, 55 mile bike, 6 mile run, done in around 5 hours.

Hanging in there.

J.C.
09-19-2011, 01:56 PM
You're back. The rest of us were starting to look good. Oh well...

krazylarry
09-19-2011, 06:30 PM
How much longer do you have until the ironman?

Alex.V
09-24-2011, 02:54 PM
How much longer do you have until the ironman?

It's only a half, mate, because I'm still a pussy. It's on October 29th...

http://www.beach2battleship.com/

Here's some accountability. I'm Alex Viada, racing in the Clydesdale category. Woop.

This week I benched 435 on tuesday, then ran 4.5 miles. Swam 1.2 miles on wednesday, pulled 635 on Thursday then biked 20 miles before my knee gave out. I realized I hadn't had a day off completely in over a week, so I've done nothing for the last 36 hours but sit on my ass and eat. Oh, and drink.

Cooking up what should be a pretty awesome meal... falafel-stuffed roast quail, sweet sesame ginger rice, shrimp and scallop curry... and opening up the first of many awesome beers (Mikkeller beer geek brunch).

Wish me luck next week- I've just had two weeks of interviews for a consultant job with UNC hospitals. It's a low probability, but would be awesome.

Tomorrow is DE bench and a 5 hour brick workout. I'm off for some cheese and crackers, and the rest of this beer.

thecityalive
09-24-2011, 03:00 PM
My hat is off to you...I can't fathom an ironman, let alone a half (even though Before I logged my journal here I was running 5ks and 10ks) pssh. That dinner sounds awesome...what beer? :)

krazylarry
09-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Yeah cuz a half ironman is such pussy shit. What the hell was I thinking asking for advice...

BTW, good luck.

joey54
09-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Belial, how do you balance all your training with the typical grind of daily life as well? Work, S.O., other hobbies, etc....

krazylarry
09-25-2011, 03:48 AM
Simple, he's the god damn Batman...

It's a secret though.

Alex.V
09-26-2011, 06:28 AM
My hat is off to you...I can't fathom an ironman, let alone a half (even though Before I logged my journal here I was running 5ks and 10ks) pssh. That dinner sounds awesome...what beer? :)

Polished off a Unibroue Le Terrible and went on to a dogfish 90 minute.

Hey, 5 and 10k's... man, you might be surprised at how easy distance work comes to you if you drop down the pace a bit.

Larry, thanks mate. Though let's be honest, if I had batman's budget the first thing I would install on my bicycle are left and rear-facing miniguns to take care of all those f'ing cars.

Joey- helps when my girlfriend's just as motivated- she's a medical student who's done a few ironmans in the past, so her level of support can only be described as 100%. Weekday workouts are usually done in 1 or 2 hours, depending on the day, and the weekend really only has one long brick workout (4-5) hours, so it's actually very reasonable- evenings are usually a bit short, but Friday nights and either weekend day is usually completely off, so we still manage to have a fairly normal life.

Speaking of workouts, this weekend's was shortened a bit:

Bench:
225 x 10
275 x 10
315 x 8
325 x 9
285 x 3 x 5 (slow eccentric, 1 second pause, explosive concentric)

Skullcrushers with 155 then 175 (I was doing these as the guys next to me were benching the same weight. It made me smile).

Military press with 185 (shoulder tweaking a bit here)

Then:

600 meter swim, 60 mile bike, 3 mile run.

The swim was meant to be 1 mile, but in the process of trying to remove a stuck pedal from my girlfriend's bike, the stuck pedal became suddenly unstuck, which caused my hand to slam straight into the front gears. Those things are actually perfectly designed to shave layers of skin off your knuckles... so I have about a half inch flap of skin which I stuck down with superglue. It's cut down to the knuckle itself, so it's more than a bit uncomfortable.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15444290/IMAG0121%20%281%29.JPG

(The clear portions are liquid bandage residue, not infection)

Needless to say, the swim was cut a bit short when the glue came off and the flap started catching the water. Put on a surgical glove but that failed too. ANYWAY.

By the time I got to the run it had broken open again, I was just disgusted and wiped out, so I cut it short. Probably try to do an over-distance swim this week, and an 8-10 mile run as well.

tom183
09-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Looks gruesome man. Hope it heals up quick.

Solid training as always.

Coke
09-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Ouch! - give you the credit Alex, you got grit dealing with that shit and integrity to follow through.

Alex.V
09-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Thank you gents, I appreciate that. I suppose I figure there are plenty of folks out there training harder than I am with injuries or setbacks far worse than mine... and they'll probably beat me. So I have no excuse.

Monday was a solid leg day... as solid as any leg day could be after that bike workout. Hit 640 on squats for excellent, excellent depth (had a workout buddy video it by phone and confirm). Did some band squats (lights on each side- 315 bar weight + ~90-100 lbs at the top), did speed sets of 6 reps. Felt really good.

Skipped ME bench today- chest still extremely sore. Focused instead on back (barbell rows, DB rows with 315 and 110's, respectively), then went downstairs for a 1.3 mile swim. Good speed there, completed it in less than 40 minutes. This is with my right hand wrapped up in a surgical glove with multiple layers of tape to stop my skin flap from tearing off.

And now home. Sitting on my ass. Life is good.

Bruteman
09-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Most excellent that the lady friend is supportive. That makes all the difference in the world.

r2473
09-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Currently 223 pounds, about 7.5% bodyfat.

I think I read somewhere that you are 6-foot even?

Wow!!! Are there pictures posted of you somewhere? That big and that lean would be truly something to see. I was very impressed with Jay-dub and his contest prep photos. He is at least a few inches taller than you and ended up competing at right around 200 lbs. I think.

Anyway, like everyone, reading through your training log is more than a little impressive.

joey54
09-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Definitely did everything you could to try and make it through.

Alex.V
10-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks guys, yeah, she's been excellent about it. Running on the ragged edge in terms of mental sanity in keeping this all up... body is torn to pieces 24/7, and it's a bitch maintaining any level of strength and weight, but it seems to be holding up.

No pics up (never was the bodybuilding type), but I guarantee there will be some race photos. Those should be amusing- I'll post em if they don't totally suck.

Decent week for training- Speed pulls on thursday, didn't go over 605, but my fast sets at 405 felt more crisp and solid than previously- I think my back is recovering, or at least, getting more accustomed to the volume. Followed that up with a fast bike- 17 miles at a 3:00 pace, which when I pulled out the frequent stops for traffic, gave me a (for me) blistering 24 mph average. Lactic acid clearance is improving by leaps and bounds- can push out a max effort sprint or heavy climb and have my legs recover in a matter of seconds, not minutes.

Friday and saturday were off- went down to the Petit Le Mans in Braselton GA with my dad. Love that event- fourth consecutive year attending. Sick race. Sucks that the Audis didn't finish... one was out with mechanicals, another got bumped off the track with 3 hours left and didn't finish, handing the win to the bloody Peugeots. Ah well.

Sunday was my best brick workout yet.

Started with bench:

275 x 12
315 x 6
365 x 2
415 x 1
365 x 4
315 x 6

Already sore here... chest not recovering much at all. Didn't want to push it higher than 415, and had to save some strength.

Skullcrushers with 155 for sets of 8

Then:

Swim- 1 mile, ~30 minutes
Bike- 60 miles, ~3 hours 18 minutes (stopped home for water in the middle)
Run- 6.5 miles, ~1 hour

Very solid overall- the swim is where I want to be (race swim will be 1.2 miles, but in the direction of a strong current), the bike was over-distance, but definitely right around the speed I was looking for... so all I need to do is tank up enough to gut out another 6.5 miles in the run- should be easily doable with a solid taper.

Yesterday was squats:

405 x 4
495 x 2
585 x 2
495 x 3 x 5
315 with light bands x 6 x 3

Good speed on the last set... again, not pushing for max weight here while I'm sore and already torn up.

This is my last distance week, my taper starts in 10 days, which means my lifting poundages should steadily increase from that point forward.

J.C.
10-04-2011, 03:57 PM
This is my last distance week, my taper starts in 10 days, which means my lifting poundages should steadily increase from that point forward.

So as you taper for a race, you're going to increase the weight-training? Is that a good idea?

JSully
10-04-2011, 04:23 PM
WOW... hell of a log.. looking forward to seeing some results from the race, good luck

Alex.V
10-05-2011, 02:18 PM
So as you taper for a race, you're going to increase the weight-training? Is that a good idea?

SURE!

Different energy pathways and all...

For longer distance stuff, the lifting is actually a bit of a benefit, I've found... a good deadlift workout on Thursday is pretty excellent depletion prior to a carb-up on Friday for a race on saturday. As long as I'm not doing any volume work or injuring myself, just taking the last few days off lifting should be all I need.

That's been part of my whole theory/approach here- the energy systems are so drastically different that they are actually complementing each other, rather than draining some of the same pathways as they are with, say, a crossfit style workout.

Jake, much appreciated! Even if I don't win my category, I can say at this point I've learned a hell of a lot from this.. and fully plan on doing both a full ironman and an ultra next year...provided I can increase strength over the winter.

Today was a quick bike, 18 miles at ~21 mph (This average includes time spent stopped at traffic lights).

Alex.V
10-07-2011, 07:03 AM
Still dealing with lower back tightness and sore hamstrings 24/7.

Did some deadlifts,

405 x 4
505 x 6
545 x 2
605 x 2
405 x 3 x 6

Trying to figure out what it is that's weak at the moment... did indeed come to the conclusion that my entire posterior chain has just NOT been recovering from the bike. going to do a bit more active rehab on my off days/non leg days.

Hip thrusts with 315 then 405 on the barbell, shoulders, then a quick 3.5 mile run.

Goal with the run was maximizing efficiency.. I figured since my quads and hamstrings were still horrendously sore, it'd be a good time to test to see how LITTLE I could use them during the run. Adjusted my gait a bit, put out an 8:30 pace without feeling a single tweak or pang of soreness. This is good, given how little energy will be left in my legs by the second half of the 13 mile run.

Today is probably going to be a swim. and food.

JSully
10-07-2011, 07:27 AM
what kind of "run style" do you use? mid-foot, forefoot, pose? (I really don't know anything about any of those, I just started looking into them as I'd like to start running/jogging and just found out I can do so without causing my joints everlasting pain)

dynamo
10-07-2011, 07:34 AM
awesome finger mangling. I love using super glue to subdue gaping wounds. I have a question for you. I am currently recovering from a disastrous dead lift session on sunday, I'm doing 5/3/1 and resetting my maxes to 85% of what they were before to compensate for my torn hamstring (tore it back in august).

On top of this I am looking to train for the tough mudder in PA next year, so 5 months to train, but I am looking to not lose strength this time around, last year it was almost 2 months after the race before I was back to my original strength levels.

So here's what I am thinking

continue with 5/3/1 including volume until start of march, continue doing the stair climber gizmo (its actual stairs not the pedal thing) for 1 hour a day 4 days a week, increasing intensity in a linear fashion but also including cardio "deload" weeks and do a ten mile run on the weekends (I'll be sipping BCAAs during my cardio events), in march cut out volume on 5/3/1, start running during the week to replace the stair climber, continue my 10 mile run on weekends. My 10 miler will be hilly, just so I can stay prepped for the hills on the course, take off from everything 7 days before the race.

If I remember correctly you're familiar with the tough mudder, and the one in PA is hilly as fuck, speed isn't too much of a concern (shooting for <3hrs), but not wanting to die after going up a black diamond ski slope is. So does this sound like a good plan to you? Thanks.

dynamo
10-07-2011, 07:43 AM
what kind of "run style" do you use? mid-foot, forefoot, pose? (I really don't know anything about any of those, I just started looking into them as I'd like to start running/jogging and just found out I can do so without causing my joints everlasting pain)

fwiw I wear these: http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Barefoot when I run, I am between 265-275 pounds depending on my sodium load and water consumption on that day. I have no joint pain at all. The barefoot style of running is perfect for me, I used to do the heel strike, and I would always get hip and knee pain to the point where I felt like I needed a knee replaced.

Just to be clear, I only run 1 day a week now, and do biking or stair climbing the others, I used to run 30 minutes a day 4 days a week regardless of pace, but I tore my hamstring and have had to compensate in other ways.

Alex.V
10-11-2011, 03:30 PM

Kind of a mid-foot rolling impact... No five finger shoes here, just good old fashioned ultra-supportive running shoes. Never got into barefoot running. Tried it, and while I understand some arguments in favor of barefoot running (e.g., it can hurt more because you're simply more aware of what damage you could be doing, and overall impact is the same), I really do like the fact that I'm less prone to ankle rotation during trail running and more or less am guaranteed a cushy surface.

Though heel impacts are supposed to be not very efficient, if you make sure to impact with your foot more or less underneath your body, you're not really "braking" much.

Honestly, I'd try a few weeks of what I mentioned versus a few weeks of "barefoot" running like dynamo mentioned. See what works. End of the day, as long as you're generally easy on your pace, and try to spend more time running on trails and grass, you should be ok. I've done a few marathons at 220-225 pounds and have no long term damage.

So here's what I am thinking

continue with 5/3/1 including volume until start of march, continue doing the stair climber gizmo (its actual stairs not the pedal thing) for 1 hour a day 4 days a week, increasing intensity in a linear fashion but also including cardio "deload" weeks and do a ten mile run on the weekends (I'll be sipping BCAAs during my cardio events), in march cut out volume on 5/3/1, start running during the week to replace the stair climber, continue my 10 mile run on weekends. My 10 miler will be hilly, just so I can stay prepped for the hills on the course, take off from everything 7 days before the race.

If I remember correctly you're familiar with the tough mudder, and the one in PA is hilly as fuck, speed isn't too much of a concern (shooting for <3hrs), but not wanting to die after going up a black diamond ski slope is. So does this sound like a good plan to you? Thanks.

Yeah man, I think this isn't a bad plan. I feel you on having lifts tank during training and post-race... main thing for me, though, was that the chronic pains from endurance training compromised my lifts... in other words, I had to back way off because of discomfort, and this discomfort kept my weights so low that eventually I de-trained. If I'd taken off a week and rehabbed, I've had avoided that entirely.

Overall, does sound like a solid routine. Question, though... what's your biggest concern during this race? Running out of breath, having your legs lock up, or (as I think you're saying), just not being able to recover after a good sprint up a hill. Since my approach to training for endurance events is pretty minimalist (just work on weak points), I'd say the best thing to do is focus in on what you think will kill you. My biggest concern with the stair stepper... it's not QUITE the same movement as running uphill. Do you have any ellipticals or treadmills with extreme (>10 degree) hill settings?

Training update for week:

Friday was indeed a 1 mile swim... Saw a triathlete friend of mine there training for a full ironman. She was water jogging two months out due to calf issues. not a good sign. Of course, she's such an insane overall athlete she'll do fine. My swim was decent, average pace. nothing to write home about.

Sunday was the following:

Moderate bench day (Last high volume workout before race taper, so took it easy)

225 x 10
315 x 6
275 x 12
255 x 12

Really just staying loose.

Pool closed, so no swim.

64 mile bike, ~19 mph. Lots of lights. Then immediately:
7.0 mile run, ~ 9:40 pace.

This was great for my confidence. Considering Durham beerfest was the night before, and I was hung over as shit, being able to handle this workout was huge. Got stung by a wasp on my hand during the run, which was in hindsight not bad...gave me another type of pain to focus on.

Interesting bit of math here... during a hill sprint midway through my workout, I decided to go for a top speed sprint. Checked out the profile, it was a 3-4% grade, I managed to hit exactly 39 mph out of the saddle for about 10 seconds. Plugged all my information into a wattage calculator.. now, I THINK it was a headwind (everything feels like a damn headwind to me), but kept wind at zero. My power output... over 2150 watts, which is about 2.9 horsepower, and more than Mark Cavendish's maximal output (probably the fastest sprinter on a bike these days in the grand tours). Then again, given I outweight him by 50-60 pounds, it goes to show just how insane their power to weight ratios are.

Still, not bad. Good to know us lifter types don't totally suck at other sports.

Monday was squats, worked up to:

495 x 3
605 x 1 x 3
495 x 4
315 x 5 x 4 (reverse light bands)

Today was bench, worked up to:

365 x 5
395 x 2
325 x 9

Did some cable rows, curls with 60's, then down for a swim:

1.2 miles, ~35 minutes.

Very good pace for me, just about race pace. Going to taper down the cardio and start pushing for bigger weights in the next few weeks.

thecityalive
10-11-2011, 03:33 PM
I never bought into the vibram ideology of running. I love support. I feel like vibrams don't provide that.

dynamo
10-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Yeah man, I think this isn't a bad plan. I feel you on having lifts tank during training and post-race... main thing for me, though, was that the chronic pains from endurance training compromised my lifts... in other words, I had to back way off because of discomfort, and this discomfort kept my weights so low that eventually I de-trained. If I'd taken off a week and rehabbed, I've had avoided that entirely.

Overall, does sound like a solid routine. Question, though... what's your biggest concern during this race? Running out of breath, having your legs lock up, or (as I think you're saying), just not being able to recover after a good sprint up a hill. Since my approach to training for endurance events is pretty minimalist (just work on weak points), I'd say the best thing to do is focus in on what you think will kill you. My biggest concern with the stair stepper... it's not QUITE the same movement as running uphill. Do you have any ellipticals or treadmills with extreme (>10 degree) hill settings?

yeah I think the endurance deloads will be as necessary as the lifting deloads, and I get very frustrated losing my strength although I never did what you did, where I detrained. I actually cut back on the running to not lose strength, but lost it all anyway bc I wasn't prepared for my event gahh!

Last tough mudder, after I made it up the very first black diamond slope, it took almost 2 miles before I could even jog, my quads were so tight I felt like they were going to rip clean off the bone. The obstacles aren't very far apart, so I wouldn't be doing much trail running, maybe only 1 mile at a time between stops. I would just like to be fresh at the end of the event, it took me almost 5 hours to do the last one because of my quads, then when I did finish I slept 14 hours that night with zero appetite when I got home. I was upset because I used to run 18 miles no problem (granted I was 80 pounds lighter and never touched weights), and here I was running 10 miles in whimpy 1 mile clips and I couldn't recover. I was so mad at myself for being such a bitch, but anyway, the biggest concern is keeping a good pace after a good sprint up the hills and keeping my legs from locking up. I think if I can do that I will be fine for any flat land that comes my way.

I do have treadmills with good inclines, but you're not suggesting I do an incline run for an hour are you? Plus, I stress fractured both my feet back in may, or at least I think I did, because I did max dead lifts and then HIIT running and when I was done I had two golf ball sized lumps on the outsides of my feet, running along the bone attached to my pinkie toe. Then the next day, it hurt to run, but I could stair climb. The lumps are almost gone, and only show up when I put weight on my feet in a certain way. So if you are suggesting a 1 hour run with an incline, it'll be a month or two more before I can do that.

Coke
10-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Still managing killer weights no matter what, ever impressive with the squats and benching.

Alex.V
10-28-2011, 06:08 AM
Way behind on updates- dynamo, will hit you back.

But today, gotta pack up, race tomorrow.

http://beach2battleship.com/

Hoping I don't suck.

Bib number 1289

dynamo
10-28-2011, 06:09 AM
no sweat1 good luck! I'll always stalk your journal, it means that much to me.

Patz
11-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Interesting journal. I can't even fathom how much that Newskin hurt on the finger. I put it on after cutting away a ripped callus and it hurt worse than my spinal taps. I actually broke out in a cold sweat..lol

I find ultras very interesting. Just finished the book "born to run". I'm sure you or you gf have read it. Hope the race went well!

krazylarry
11-03-2011, 11:07 AM
How did you do?
Did you win then deadlift the battleship??

Alex.V
11-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Aight, I am way behind here.

I guess I'll do a full tri report.

So, first off, did decently well- about what expected. 5:48 of race time, 6:00 with transitions. Race time SHOULD have been 5:38, but I had a ten minute stop during the run. If anybody's curious why, or really gives a shit, feel free to PM me.

For age group/category, it wasn't too shabby at all, particularly since I was certainly the only meathead out there. I think there was one guy who mentioned he played around with crossfit a bit. He barely made the clydesdale weigh-in at 204. I weighed in at 226, incidentally, which means I really didn't lose much weight during this training.

First off... swim. 1.2 miles, 30 minutes, felt pretty quick. Freezing cold morning (42 degrees ambient when we finally went in) though the water was 69 degrees. Open water swims.. well, I learned that I definitely curve to the right in the water, had to keep stopping to sight and zig-zag.

Got out of the water, had a 300 meter run across concrete in bare feet (ouch!) and got on the bike. Too cold to eat or drink. Now, I've been training in 80-100 degree weather for the most part, on hilly terrain (read- anaerobic burst)... this was 44 degrees, with a 25 mph headwind on the way out, and pancake flat. Which means constant, sustained effort, freezing face.. dude, it sucked. Tried to eat a bar about 15 miles in- hands were so cold I had to tear apart the package with my teeth, but lips were so numb that half the bar fell out of my mouth, literally. This was a bad sign- started tanking midway through from lack of calories. Sun came out after about two hours, though... warmed things up, and started switching around with different gears, cadences, and spending some time up out of the saddle to keep my legs from getting burnt out. Came out to about a 3:14 bike, if I recall. Wanted to do 3:00 flat, which might have been a bit ambitious. Wasn't going to happen in those conditions.

The run... well, it was a run. Felt pretty good for most of it, did my ten minute stop at the turnaround, (no, not penalty related), chugged back in. Ended up doing around 2 hours, would have been about 1:55 without a stop, which is about the pace I was going for.

Overall, fairly pleased given this is my first triathlon, including first competitive open water swim, first cycling event, and only my fifth race overall (3 marathons, 1 5k... krispy kreme challenge and the doughman don't count).

Learned a few things... first, I need to eat more on the bike, especially if I'm going to do an ironman next year. I burned around 5700-6000 calories during this event. literally double this for an ironman. Given that I can probably sustain about 500-600 calories an hour via purely aerobic energy pathways, that leaves quite a deficit I need to take in via carb-loading and eating on the bike.

Also learned I CAN keep up strength. Pulled 660 the week prior, and though I've backed off since the race, still benched 425 tuesday, pulled an easy 625 yesterday, and squatted 545 for a triple last week. However, I am going to NEED to compete in gear. Soreness from biking/running isn't an issue, really, except at the very bottom of both the squat and the deadlift- good gear should ameliorate this problem somewhat.

As a proof of concept, I think it went well... planning out my schedule for the next year, I'm thinking the season will end with Ironman Cozumel on November 28th or so, which means I'm looking for some good trail runs/marathons during the year and at least two PL competitions in the area. The goal would be to do a sub-11 hour ironman, which will be fairly tough given the course, but.. if goals were easily achievable, they'd be fairly pointless. And of course, to total 1850... with gear or otherwise.

Since I DID promise some pics, here ya go. Yes, I look ridiculous on a bike. And sorry for the quality on the side shot, but I have neither the talent nor inclination to pose for real physique shots, nor was I having any luck shooting while flexing, since that's a sure way to get COMPLETELY blurry shots.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15444290/Side%201.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15444290/Race%202.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15444290/Race%201.JPG

JSully
11-11-2011, 09:08 AM
sickness, just awesome..

what were the total distances on the bike and run?

how do you know you burned 5700-6000cals during the competition? Do you have one of those armbands or something?

krazylarry
11-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Great job! The bike pic almost loos photo shopped...damn meatheads.

Alex.V
11-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Hey, thanks guys!

hahaha, true that, kinda does look photoshopped. And that's the damn biggest bike I could find, too.

Distances: 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run. Bike computer rang it around 56.8, run GPS I had with me said 13.5. Which makes sense, since they typically measure the shortest possible distance. For calorie calculations, I have a program I use for running and biking that tends to be pretty accurate (uses weight and distance to calculate). For example, running at my usual 9 minute pace burns about 163 calories a mile, the bike is around 60 per mile in aero position, 65 per mile sitting up, 85 per mile while sitting up screaming profanities at the wind.

Chris Rodgers
11-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Nice, now we know what Lou Ferrigno would look like going for a bike ride! Lookin hoooge mang!

tom183
11-12-2011, 04:58 AM
Hugely impressive effort man.

Coke
11-12-2011, 05:49 AM
Surprised to see these shots of you in here, never thought that would happen, lol.

The training is spectacular man, looking great as well.

J.C.
11-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Ha ha, just ridiculous on all counts.

Hatred
11-12-2011, 08:22 PM
You're a fucking machine.

dynamo
11-14-2011, 07:09 AM
freak, i want to be like you when I grow up.

DoUgL@S
11-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Wow. Impressed beyond words.

ectx
12-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Hey Alex, Just came in to say you're a little b!tch. :hello:

Gawd, I miss this forum.

Alex.V
12-17-2011, 09:00 PM
I have been a lazy sack of shit.

About updating, anyway.

Training has been decent, signed up for Ironman Cozumel next year (the full). Looking at local PL meets in the fall, need to finally get proper gear. Also planning a century ride or two.

Have some lessons learned from these last six months or so, aim to fix them.

Currently benching around 425, squatting 600, pulling 655. Lost some strength, getting it back. Went for a 75 mile bike today, killed it.

Drinking beer. Eating peanut butter.

Life ain't bad.

Alex.V
12-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Should have taken it easy today. Worked up to 565 for some triples on squats (briefs n belt), dropped to 405 (belt only), five sets of five. Good speed on these, helped me loosen up after the bike yesterday.

Then made the mistake of trying to go out for a run. On mile 3 (only about an 8 minute pace) my legs locked up, heart started racing, tasted blood in my throat, almost passed out.

Sign of a good workout, really.

chevelle2291
12-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Lmao you look fucking huge on that bike. What is that, a 60-62cm?

Your strength/endurance ability is insane. I don't see many guys that big doing triathlons/races. Really impressive.

Have you thought about an Xterra? It seems like larger guys do a bit better in those because you have to manhandle your way through some of the terrain.

Alex.V
01-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Haha, nah, it's only a 58 I think- ended up being a better fit, especially once I clipped on aerobars.

Thought about doing one of those... so far my race schedule is this:

March 31- Tobacco Road half marathon
May 28th (or something)- Assault on Mount Mitchell (102.7 mile ride, 11,500 feet of climbing)
June 25th (or something)- Blood, Sweat, and Gears (100+ mile ride, 13,000 feet of climbing)
November 25th- Cozumel Ironman

I don't think I'm going to add in many more events/races... as it stands, I'd be looking to keep most of August and September free for a PL competition or two (which one, I have no idea, though there's an APF one in the region in August, I think)

joey54
01-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Squatting like that and then going for a run has to be good for the soul.

Alex.V
01-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Squatting like that and then going for a run has to be good for the soul.

It is, man. It is. Nothing like emptying the well to learn how deep it is. Or at least, find out how much mud and crap is at the bottom.

Spent a week in Mexico, went for about a 1.5-2 mile open water swim. Didn't lift at all, minor pec tear bothering me.

Went for an 82 mile bike ride on Sunday.
Squatted 545 for some triples on monday (legs were shot), finished up with good mornings.
Light bench yesterday (275 x 10, 315 x 6, 335 x 6) (rehabbing the chest), some back work (barbell rows with 225 then 315), then a 4 mile run @ 8:15 pace. Damn, it was cold as shit out.

LuNa
01-05-2012, 01:36 AM
freak, i want to be like you when I grow up.

Seconded. Amazing work on all accounts.

Alex.V
01-11-2012, 06:42 AM
I appreciate it, man. Unfortunately, kind of feel like I'm sucking at everything at the moment. These long bikes are killing my hamstrings and nuking my deadlift, so I mixed it up last weekend.

Saturday:
Light benching (225 x 10, 275 x 10, 315 x 2 x 10)
Skullcrushers w/155, crossovers, machine OH press (was going to do BB military, but chest still doesn't feel stable)
Then went out for:
-50 mile bike (3:20 average pace w/ hill repeats)
-15 mile run (Slow pace- running w/girlfriend who's training for an ultra)

Sunday was legs. Incidentally, I need new squat briefs, mine are WAY too easy to get on. Kept it under 550 (515 for fast doubles, 545 single w/briefs, 315 with light bands)

Monday was a write-off, thought I'd have a training to give last night on this telemedicine initiative UNC is working on, but the project got put on hold last minute. So I lifted monday instead of tues, did moderately heavy bench (365, 405 x 1, etc.), nothing worth writing about.

Last night, ran with the dog. Yes, thrilling. 3 miles, 9:15 pace which included two poop breaks (dog), 3 piss breaks (2 dog, 1 human), stopping to sniff a dozen times (dog), stopping for traffic (twice), and stopping to give directions (human, with help from dog).

Good news- bench shirt shipped.

joey54
01-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Think what you could do fresh lifting.

Alex.V
01-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Think what you could do fresh lifting.

Man, I wouldn't know.. I haven't lifted fresh in years. Sounds like it'd be more fun, though, than lifting busted.

GazzyG
01-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Just checking in to say that you're a monster, Belial.

Amazing that you can be so strong whilst still doing so much cardio work. Do you put your leanness down to a good diet or due to the mass cardio?

tom183
01-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Training continues to impress man. Love that you can call 275x10 'light benching'.

Alex.V
01-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Amazing that you can be so strong whilst still doing so much cardio work. Do you put your leanness down to a good diet or due to the mass cardio?

Tell you the truth, man, if you want to get fat and small, do cardio. It is harder than ever to maintain muscle mass while doing these long workouts, and to keep fat off. I burn around 5,000 calories during my weekend workouts... even if I take in 5,000-6,000, I will still have lost muscle, and guaranteed my body would prefer to store some of my replenishment as fat for next time. It's all I can do to try to stay as lean as I can during the week while still taking enough in to recover and maintain (or MAYBE even build) some muscle.

The leanest I've ever been is when I've avoided cardio like the plague. If you want to get cut, avoid it at all costs.

Tom, thanks mate. I guess it's all relative. :) Probably not as light as I SHOULD go for speed work, honestly! Reading the pro PL journals, I really do feel like a skinny cardio bunny...

K-R-M
01-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Really man? Adding light cardio got me both lean and stronger.

PS: lol at -50 mile bike (3:20 average pace w/ hill repeats)
-15 mile run (Slow pace- running w/girlfriend who's training for an ultr

Being "cardio". Fuck your abilities.

LuNa
01-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Which bench shirt did you order?

Will be great to see your numbers with that.

Alex.V
01-13-2012, 06:00 AM
Which bench shirt did you order?

Will be great to see your numbers with that.

I just picked up an F6, on the looser side. Decent price on it... I was considering a Katana or RageX, but figured I'd get a feel for shirts in general and get a baseline before going all out and dropping $200...

I'm curious too- Haven't used a shirt in, what, six years? Seven years?

Really man? Adding light cardio got me both lean and stronger.

PS: lol at -50 mile bike (3:20 average pace w/ hill repeats)
-15 mile run (Slow pace- running w/girlfriend who's training for an ultr

Being "cardio". Fuck your abilities.

They're fucking me. Sideways. Painfully. trust me.

And I think if the cardio were kept to a minimal level, say under 300-400 calories per workout, max 2-3 times a week, there'd be negligible catabolic effect. Truthfully, though, any sort of additional "aerobic" activity, from a body composition standpoint, would technically be a net loss of lean mass in a trained individual.

I suppose, again, if the overall caloric cost is kept low, there wouldn't be appreciable loss of muscle, and your additional intake needs wouldn't be high enough to result in occasional slabs of fat being added, but... hey, that's part of the challenge right now. :) Trying to maintain lean body mass, minimize additional weight gain, all while taking in enough calories to fuel 6 hour workouts during the weekend.

This is why I've hired a tri coach... we're meeting tuesday. She's offered free training, since she's so interested in seeing if somebody can compete in both sorts of events. I think she's hopeful she'll learn enough about resistance training methods and recovery to apply lessons learned to all her athletes.

Yeah for guinea pigs.

Yesterday was deadlifts:

135 x 4
225 x 4
315 x 4
405 x 4
495 x 2
545 x 2
605 x 2
standing on plates (1.25" deficit):
505 x 3
405 x 6

Then speed pulls with 405.

Yes, I've decided it's time to switch to a real westside split. Can't keep pulling every week. This will be part of tuesday's planning.

Did some upper back and shoulder work (face pulls, rear delt raises), supported a friend of mine who was teaching TRX (One other dude was doing it with me, we were trying to keep the testosterone flowing in a decidedly female group). Then:

Swim: 1000 meters, 22 minutes. This was not very exciting.

Today is carb load day! Tomorrow, 90 mile bike.

GazzyG
01-13-2012, 06:10 AM
Today is carb load day! Tomorrow, 90 mile bike.

And I'm worried about not havign the stamina for my 100 mile walk, haha!

Alex.V
01-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Man, a 100 mile walk is no joke either, that'll tax the hell out of you. When are you doing that?

So, saturday... went in first for a light chest day and decided I'd start breaking in my bench shirt. Did my usual bench routine:

135 x 5
225 x 8
275 x 8
315 x 6

Then put on the shirt.... man, I forgot how tight these things were at first. Had a buddy there to help me get into it, though... hit 315 for a few, couldn't come close to touching. Put 365 on, and BARELY got the bar down to my chest with a big arch. Which tells me the shirt is pretty loose, which is what I wanted.

Band bench, 225 for triples with lights. skullcrushers with 135 then 155, sets of 8. Cable crossovers (chest rehab).

Then, out for my bike:

89.6 miles, 3:38 pace.

It was COLD as shit out there, 39 degrees when I started, 44 midway through, 42 when I finished. Decided to do three hill repeats on this one brutal ass hill- 250 meters of elevation in 1500 meters of horizontal distance. So... what's that, inverse tangent of 250/1500 = arctan of .1666... 9 degree incline? Or that could be totally wrong. I have no fucking idea. Anyway, it hurt. Overall ride profile included about a mile of climbing (5000 feet) in the 90 miles, which is decently rough for a 225 pound cyclist. I hit the wall HARD around mile 80, pure willpower got me through the last 9. Thankfully there was a good amount of traffic out there, so got to waste some time at lights.

Today:

Leg day.

Squats:

warmups, 135 x 4, 225 x 4, 315 x 4

405 x 3
405 x 3
495 x 2
515 x 2
515 x 2
405 x 7

Reverse bands:

315 x 3 x 3 with lights.

My squat briefs are so loose they basically do nothing at this point. Next purchases = halfway decent squat suit, better bike seat, triple ring for my front gears.

I am tanked. was going to swim, but thought the better of it. Ten mile cooldown run tomorrow, need to recover.

GazzyG
01-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Big strength with the lifting, great work sticking out the killer bike ride.

And lol @ a ten mile run to cooldown...

And the 100mile walk is Easter week. Doing it with a few mates to raise money for our local cancer ward.

We've done 20miles in a day before, fairly easily, so that's our target each day. We've taken a week off, so even if we don't make that target each day due to adverse weather etc, we still have a coupla days leeway.

Alex.V
01-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Big strength with the lifting, great work sticking out the killer bike ride.

And lol @ a ten mile run to cooldown...

And the 100mile walk is Easter week. Doing it with a few mates to raise money for our local cancer ward.

We've done 20miles in a day before, fairly easily, so that's our target each day. We've taken a week off, so even if we don't make that target each day due to adverse weather etc, we still have a coupla days leeway.

That's solid, man, good cause. Should be doable... I figure you guys really know what you're doing, so you're eating during and all that... 20 miles walking is still a good, what, 2500-3000 extra calories a day?

GazzyG
01-15-2012, 03:40 PM
That's solid, man, good cause. Should be doable... I figure you guys really know what you're doing, so you're eating during and all that... 20 miles walking is still a good, what, 2500-3000 extra calories a day?

Hey man, cheers. Yeah, cause close to my heart, my mum's in the final stages of cancer so wanted to do something for the people that treated her.

We'll be camping most nights. Cooked breakfast in the morning, whatever for lunch, pub dinner at night.

Taking plenty of Kendal Mint Cake and trail mix to nom en route too.

None of the other guys in the group are athletic, but I'm a little concerned about how this walk will impact my powerlifting training. Any hints on how to lose as little strength as possible aside from just eat as much as I can?

Alex.V
01-17-2012, 05:59 AM
Honestly, that's the best way man. You're not really likely to lose all that much muscle mass- the walking itself is so aerobic that your body won't be cannibalizing much other than fat stores. Just do a quick calculation of calories burned per mile of walking (I'd wager around 110-130 or so) and try to take in around 110% of that. You might put ON a little fat (as I've noticed when I train for extra long distances), but you'll hold on to that strength. Just don't expect your first week of workouts to be all that great while you recover. :)

Good on ya for an awesome cause, and my thoughts go out to your mother. We've had similar battles in my immediate family as well, so you have my empathy.

Alex.V
01-17-2012, 06:00 AM
And yesterday was a 12 mile cooldown run, 9:30 pace or so, just staying loose. Today I get to play with my new bench shirt. Woo!

LuNa
01-17-2012, 06:13 AM
Just picking your brain a bit, what would your approach be when dieting?

Looking forward to hearing how the shirt training went!

galileo
01-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Wow, it's like I'm seeing ghosts. How're tricks?

Alex.V
01-18-2012, 06:34 AM
Just picking your brain a bit, what would your approach be when dieting?

Looking forward to hearing how the shirt training went!

Dieting? Hm.. I haven't done that in ages. If I stop stuffing myself like a pig, I lose weight. That's more or less my approach. My diet's pretty simple, man, I build in a day to day framework of meals I like to eat that gives me the basics of what I need, and stack things on from there. So this means when I diet, I shave off the extra meals. And honestly, that's what I'd recommend to anybody.

Essentially, breakfast is about half a cup of oat bran with blueberries and a high protein yogurt mixed with almond milk. Lunch is at least one shake (pea protein, almond milk, whatever else I want in it), dinner is at least a pound of fish and half a cup of rice (dry measure). From there, I stack on meals and calories where needed, but can always be assured I have enough protein, fiber, etc. in my diet from that simple base. All I do is cut back on the extras when I need to drop weight, which is easy. For example, right now my rice at dinner is usually some kind of cheesy risotto, and lately been on a pecan and honey crusted sea bass kick. This becomes more simple parboiled rice with soy sauce and tilapia if I REALLY need to cut back. etc. etc. Same foods, same basic idea, just trim them up.

My approach is and nearly always has been to keep it simple. Bottom line: The body is a million variable system, and an effective model only needs about ten variables. When people try to control for a hundred variables (Let's carb cycle! Intermittent fast! Fight inflammation and therefore leptin resistance! Refeed every 120.7384 hours!) their results are no better.

Alex.V
01-18-2012, 06:35 AM
Wow, it's like I'm seeing ghosts. How're tricks?

I know man, a few resurrections around here. Things be good... the more things change, the more they stay the same and all. Still in Durham, new job, new focus, but otherwise still kickin. Good to see you, man, saw your journal over at Lyle's site. That place is hilarious, btw. You seem to be doing well?

Alex.V
01-18-2012, 06:41 AM
And I've decided, after lifting through injuries caused by years of raw lifting, that geared is the way to go for me. Period, full stop. My own worries about further damage have been holding me back more than anything- pec tears and shoulder injuries make me panic on the bench, hip and hamstring injuries have taken the pop out of my squat...

Using a shirt today made all the difference, even psychologically.

Bench:

135 x 6
225 x 6
315 x 6
365 x 1
Put on shirt (which, btw, is an intentionally loose F6)
365 x 1
405 x 1 okay...
425 x 1 Hard getting used to the pop at the bottom and sudden load five inches up
405 x 1 Better. Smoother.
435 x 1 Easy
445 x 1 Still easy
465 x 1 New PR. What the crap.

Stopped there. Still don't really know how to use this thing, and my spotters were alternating between a 115 pound girl and a 185 pound guy who lifted like a 115 pound girl.

Pretty stoked. I truly love this shirt already. I'd fuck it if I could.

Did some BB rows (315, 225)
curls, then pull-ups with legs horizontal to the floor (two sets of 20)

Went downstairs for a 1000 meter swim (~15-20 minutes or so)

Invain
01-18-2012, 08:01 AM
And another gear whore is born.

Alex.V
01-18-2012, 08:05 AM
bahaha. Just wait still I start getting bike components too. Then I can bore the shit out of ALL my friends.

chevelle2291
01-18-2012, 08:27 AM
bahaha. Just wait still I start getting bike components too. Then I can bore the shit out of ALL my friends.

o lawd. the possibilities!

GazzyG
01-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Epic PR, looks like it took you by surprise. Imagine what you can lift when you figure out you've been putting it on back to front!

LuNa
01-19-2012, 01:25 AM
Dieting? Hm.. I haven't done that in ages. If I stop stuffing myself like a pig, I lose weight. That's more or less my approach. My diet's pretty simple, man, I build in a day to day framework of meals I like to eat that gives me the basics of what I need, and stack things on from there. So this means when I diet, I shave off the extra meals. And honestly, that's what I'd recommend to anybody.

Essentially, breakfast is about half a cup of oat bran with blueberries and a high protein yogurt mixed with almond milk. Lunch is at least one shake (pea protein, almond milk, whatever else I want in it), dinner is at least a pound of fish and half a cup of rice (dry measure). From there, I stack on meals and calories where needed, but can always be assured I have enough protein, fiber, etc. in my diet from that simple base. All I do is cut back on the extras when I need to drop weight, which is easy. For example, right now my rice at dinner is usually some kind of cheesy risotto, and lately been on a pecan and honey crusted sea bass kick. This becomes more simple parboiled rice with soy sauce and tilapia if I REALLY need to cut back. etc. etc. Same foods, same basic idea, just trim them up.

My approach is and nearly always has been to keep it simple. Bottom line: The body is a million variable system, and an effective model only needs about ten variables. When people try to control for a hundred variables (Let's carb cycle! Intermittent fast! Fight inflammation and therefore leptin resistance! Refeed every 120.7384 hours!) their results are no better.

Thanks for the explanation! I like the non-stressful approach you have towards nutrition.

Coke
01-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the explanation! I like the non-stressful approach you have towards nutrition.

Same here, appreciate the well written post.

joey54
01-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Wish more people would have your approach. I have really simplified things over the years and it has only served me well.

Alex.V
01-20-2012, 05:47 AM
Surely- always figure that between the lot of us we must have some workable answers. :)

Joey- sort of funny how that works, isn't it? When most of us started out, it was all about absolute precision, thinking that every little trick or bit of information would give us that edge... but over time, as we learn more, and realize that these "tricks" contradict each other more and more, you really start to break it down into the basics. Fundamentally, what is the goal, and what is the general path needed to reach it. Half of those BS diet plans I followed early on were probably counterproductive in the extreme.

The more you know, the more you realize you don't know.

Alex.V
01-20-2012, 05:50 AM
Wednesday was 30 minutes of sprints on the bike trainer.

Thursday was a bit of a deload deadlift workout. I am still toast from this week's biking and running, and my system's a bit shot from heavy benching.

Worked up to 405 x 3, 500 x 1 x 6, 405 x 12

Then, stiff legged deadlifts:

405 x 7
405 x 8
315 x 10

Hamstrings are so sore right now that I think I may have slightly injured them.

Lateral raises, windshield wipers, about 30 minutes of stretching, then came home.

Today is a rest day, weekend still TBD. Might do a 12-15 mile run tomorrow (faster than race pace/hill intervals), then a short 40-60 mile ride on sunday. Lifting will be all DE work.

GazzyG
01-20-2012, 06:25 AM
Nice work, Belial - hope the hammies are alright for running tomorrow.

JSully
01-20-2012, 12:38 PM
strong bench and awesome stiff legs.. take care of those hams, if they're still iffy tomorrow, might just want to rest up..

i agree about the less is more. i used to be all carb cycle, ud2, if, refeedz, keto, psmf, etc.. my best results were last year when i cut my calories by 1000/day and ate whatever i wanted and gave myself a huge cheat meal once/wk. i just made sure the bulk of my carbs were around training and i stuck to my specific macros. i went from 315lbs last year down to 275lbs in 7 months and increased strength in nearly everything. less is def more.

Alex.V
01-21-2012, 01:37 PM
i agree about the less is more. i used to be all carb cycle, ud2, if, refeedz, keto, psmf, etc.. my best results were last year when i cut my calories by 1000/day and ate whatever i wanted and gave myself a huge cheat meal once/wk. i just made sure the bulk of my carbs were around training and i stuck to my specific macros. i went from 315lbs last year down to 275lbs in 7 months and increased strength in nearly everything. less is def more.

Same experience here, again and again.

See, but, that wouldn't make a very marketable article now, would it? ;)

I did give the hamstrings a rest- spent all of friday sitting on my ass, eating, and occasionally slathering on Biofreeze. Which is good stuff, btw.

Alex.V
01-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Today was the first day I've used doubled bands on bench in a long time... felt very good.

Bench press:

bar x 12
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 6
275 x 8
225 x 3 x 3

Doubled light bands:

225 w/bands x 5 x 3

I forgot how hard this was.

Skullcrushers:

135 x 8, 165 x 6, 165 x 7

Crossovers, hanging leg raises, some stretches, then:

Run: 13 miles in about 2 hours- 10 miles of steady state paced work, 3 miles of hill repeats. Took about a 15 minute break after the steady state run to talk to some folks I saw out there. Was probably much needed. Plantar fasciitis FTL.

Tomorrow, I try out my new Centurion!

Alex.V
01-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Odd, my update is apparently under moderation. Ohs noes!

Alex.V
01-21-2012, 06:07 PM
And now it isn't. Thank you mods!

chevelle2291
01-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Biofreeze...motherofgod that shit burns if you get it on your balls.

Do you train at a 'commercial' gym?

Alex.V
01-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Yep. That's why I don't rub it on my balls.

I train in Duke's university gym.. best membership deal in town, good facilities, and they've got a pool.

Oh, also, everyone leaves me alone and stays out of my way.

J.C.
01-24-2012, 04:03 PM
University gyms can be pretty good. I train at one right now and it's so much cheaper than anywhere else in East London it's ridiculous. Also, the manager is a weightlifter who actually cares about people getting fitter and stronger, is happy to help out with your oly technique, and provides a chalk bucket.

LuNa
01-25-2012, 01:14 AM
Biofreeze...motherofgod that shit burns if you get it on your balls.

Do you train at a 'commercial' gym?

Ill ask the question then, how on earth did you get that on your balls?

JSully
01-25-2012, 08:18 AM
can't wait to hear how the centurion session went.. let us know

galileo
01-25-2012, 06:56 PM
I know man, a few resurrections around here. Things be good... the more things change, the more they stay the same and all. Still in Durham, new job, new focus, but otherwise still kickin. Good to see you, man, saw your journal over at Lyle's site. That place is hilarious, btw. You seem to be doing well?

That place is definitely something else. Very low post rate though...a bit hard to get engaged unless you are interested in monkey porn.

Things are awesome. No complaints at all.

JSully
02-06-2012, 09:54 PM
bump, don't be a douche, I need to live vicariously through you're incredible strength at such a low bodyfat..

i hate you.

but srsly, have you broken in the suit yet?

LuNa
02-07-2012, 01:09 AM
He moved over to a new journal:

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?148479-Rebooting-my-goals-Ironman-Cozumel-1900-total-and-a-lot-of-pain.

JSully
02-07-2012, 07:31 AM
thanks