PDA

View Full Version : upper back injury question - rib head

hug dog
05-25-2011, 07:51 AM
From the age 25 and up I have been bitten by the injury bug on a regular basis. The problem that I have been having lately is I have a upper back rib head that keeps slipping out of place. This only happens at night when I sleep it usually wakes me up around 4:30 or 5. Once I get up add heat to it and stretch real good the pain will go away. The days right after I work out, is usually much better then the second day after a workout. I have been to the chiropractor 3 times for this and that certainly helps. Has anyone else had a problem with this? If so what have you done to fix or limit this from happening?

Just to explain the pain a bit better. It is a stabbing pain that hurts much worse exhaling then inhaling. Upper right back about 3 inches from center of back and right bellow shoulder blade.

alphagoose
05-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Ive had the same issue. Fortunately mine went away after about a month and the only thing i did was avoid the exercises that would irritate it. sorry thats all i can add about my experience. good luck!

hug dog
05-25-2011, 09:18 AM
That is good news! Do you mind me asking what exercise you avoided? I feel like mine could be Row or Deads? Not quite sure.

Travis Bell
05-25-2011, 11:29 AM
stretching your upper back properly before working out will make a big difference.

hug dog
05-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks. I know I am not doing nearly enough of that. I will look up some good stretchs.

theBarzeen
05-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Once in a great while I'll put a rip out while squatting heavy.... it's miserable when you do.

The big thing for me was first avoiding putting any stress on it so that the soft tissue will heal up. After that was just strengthening the upper back.

If it's happening all the time you might be past that point and need to see a doctor buddy, it's chronic if it's every morning.

With that said..... I used to have a lot of aches and pains when I'd wake up too, but after switching to a memory foam bed they've gone away..... at 320# I can sleep on my side and not have my whole arm go numb.

hug dog
05-25-2011, 02:27 PM
theBarzeen - Squatting heavy. Well am doing a starter type routine where I squat twice a week and go heavy, well heavy for me both times. Guess maybe I should adjust that for a bit.

Thanks for the info.

ScottYard
05-25-2011, 03:25 PM
This could be a upper back mobility issue. Do some reading on targeting thoracic mobility. Might belp you out.

alphagoose
05-25-2011, 05:58 PM
That is good news! Do you mind me asking what exercise you avoided? I feel like mine could be Row or Deads? Not quite sure.
if i remember correctly i had to avoid deads, shrugs, and pull ups...somehow rowing was still ok for me.

hug dog
05-26-2011, 07:17 AM
Deads make a lot of since, because last week they were much harder then the weeks prior.

I will take a look at targeting thoracic mobility today. Thanks.

WalterJr
05-26-2011, 07:47 AM
stretching your upper back properly before working out will make a big difference.

Will it work with other parts of the body too ?

Travis Bell
05-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Will it work with other parts of the body too ?

Why don't you go try it and report back to us

theBarzeen
05-26-2011, 01:44 PM
theBarzeen - Squatting heavy. Well am doing a starter type routine where I squat twice a week and go heavy, well heavy for me both times. Guess maybe I should adjust that for a bit.

Thanks for the info.

For me it was less the frequency of squatting, and more just the # on my back.

I added in a lot of barbell rows, high pulls, rack deadlifts etc... and it hasn't happened since. It's just the weight finding a weak point in your body to fail..... so build it up......

hug dog
05-26-2011, 03:52 PM
theBarzeen - that seems like some great advice. I have started doing Rows more frequently. I also researched thoracic mobility and purchased a foam roller today. I have already used it and I think it should help. Put everything together and maybe I can fix this problem. I know that my back is one of my weak links.

MikeWilliams
05-26-2011, 05:36 PM
interesting I was getting the same pain in my upper back when ever I was squating heavy...hurt like hell when I exhaled..first it was only on one side, now on mouth...I can't seem to squat heavy anymore..too much pain

Miska
05-26-2011, 07:12 PM
How old are you now, meaning how long has this been happening? Something to think about...sometimes the gallbladder causes pain in the right subscapular region, especially at night. May be worth checking into. It may very well be a muscle issue, but the gallbladder is a def. possibility. I am a chiropractor, and see this issue often, 9 times out of 10 it is a rib head or muscle, on rare occasion it is the gallbladder. Hope this info. helps some.

hug dog
05-27-2011, 07:23 AM
A Chiropractor, excellent. I am 27 but this has only been happening for around a month now.

Is there any specific stretches/exercises you would recommend?

On a side note my back felt great yesturday but I woke up today at 5:15 in a lot of pain. I had to take a hot shower then lay on my side on the couch. When i woke up it was much better.

hug dog
06-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Well it has been a while since I gave an update. I got a big ball and a 6 inch foam roller. I started stretching befor working out, after, before bed, and in the morning. I stopped having rib pain saturday morning and now I am going on 3 days with no rib pain. Just thought I would record it here so if someone else had an issue like this they could find out what fixed mine. Thanks for your help.

theBarzeen
06-06-2011, 10:20 AM
that's great to hear man.

lbooty24
10-18-2012, 07:59 PM
I just went to the chiropractor and he said that you shouldnt put heat on it. only ice. Get an ice pack and keep it on where ever it hurts the worst. Try to refrain from sitting down too long. Get up and move a little.

Travis Bell
10-19-2012, 11:35 AM
^check the original date on the thread chief