PDA

View Full Version : Working with Starting Strength

colinS3
05-29-2011, 01:42 PM
I've made two other journals before but I never really kept up with them and I was somewhat disorganized. This one is dedicated to my progress with Starting Strength and it'll be simple/to the point.

Starting this week I'll be using the program Starting Strength. I will be doing little no cardio for quite some time now (in comparison to what I'm used to) because I just want to focus on lifting. I haven't lifted since January so I'm obviously much weaker than I used to be. Hopefully after a month I'll start gaining back some of my former strength relatively fast. I'm going to use Starting Strength until I'm sure that I've stalled. After Starting Strength I'm planning on progressing to Madcow 5x5. After that, who knows.

I currently weigh 145 pounds. After I get a couple weeks into the program I'll see where I stand and then focus on making adjustments. I'm thinking of gaining 3-5 pounds every month once I start out until I hit 165 pounds. You should also know that I'm 6 feet tall.

My upper body strength and my lower body strength are slightly imbalanced, but I'm hoping to correct that problem with the help of Starting Strength (or at least lessen the gap). In terms of lifting, my legs are incredibly weak from distance running all through middle school and high school, so we'll see how it goes. Slow twitch fibers aren't exactly the kind of muscle an explosive lifter wants...

My workout plan is the typical Monday/Wednesday/Friday with all other days considered as rest days. I'll also be practicing Taekwondo so I may throw in some of those sessions into this journal as well. That's all I have to say, I'll post my first workout Monday, June 13.

colinS3
05-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Walked at a brisk pace for about 10 minutes to get my legs moving this morning and then I stretched. I'll be stretching 3 or 4 times today, but besides that I'll be resting. Unfortunately I can't workout today because the gym I go to is closed for the holiday, but that's all right. I needed a couple days after my track season to give my body a rest anyways.

I have a pair of Vibram Five Fingers that I'm excited to start wearing around town and in the gym. I've tried 'em on and they feel great so I don't think I'll be disappointed.

colinS3
06-05-2011, 12:05 PM
My track season was prolonged a little bit because my 4x800 team went to State Qualifiers, but now I'm all done. I'm going to give myself a week long break though because I think my legs need it after that season. On Monday, June 13th I'll start my workout. I've just been working on flexibility and mobility work and plan to keep that up until my lifting starts.

I've been wearing my Vibram Five Fingers and they're the most comfortable pair of shoes that I've ever worn. Can't wait to exercise in em.

SCmmaFAN
06-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Welcome aboard the SS wagon!

colinS3
06-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Welcome aboard the SS wagon!

Thanks man! It's nice to have a well structured plan to go off of instead of making up my own workouts haha.

Monday, June 13th 2011

Workout A (recovering from injuries)

Squats
95 x 5
95 x 5
95 x 5

Bench Press
65 x 5
65 x 5
65 x 5

Deadlift
135 x 5

Extremely easy workout, as you can all tell from the weights. I'm starting my lifts at those weights because of tendonitis issues all around from when I stopped lfiting. I think it's healed up fine now, but I don't feel like taking any chances. I'll increase my weight on deadlift and squat by 10 pounds each workout, and bench press will go up by 5. Once I know I'm in the clear I'll probably bump up the weight by much bigger increments (at least for bench press).

Squatting felt great with the VFFs on. It just felt easier. I found that pretty interesting.

Kiff
06-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Good start keep it up. your gonna have to eat a lot with all that running if you wanna gain some weight.

J.C.
06-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Have fun!

I'm essentially doing starting strength myself if you want to follow along. Although I have some weight training experience so I've been progressing quite quickly.
Just pile the pounds on the squat. You have to force yourself to add weight every damn time. It will get really hard. You will get sore. You will also make amazing progress if you do it properly.

colinS3
06-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Good start keep it up. your gonna have to eat a lot with all that running if you wanna gain some weight.

Thanks man, I'm hoping in a month my lifts will be relatively close to what they were before.

Luckily I don't have to worry about running anymore! Now that my track season is over I'm taking at least a year long break from any heavy distance running. I'm not going to run my freshman year in college, I just want to focus on getting stronger. I'll still have to eat a lot because adding 20 pounds is impossible without eating a ton and my metabolism is just naturally fast.

Have fun!

I'm essentially doing starting strength myself if you want to follow along. Although I have some weight training experience so I've been progressing quite quickly.
Just pile the pounds on the squat. You have to force yourself to add weight every damn time. It will get really hard. You will get sore. You will also make amazing progress if you do it properly.

I will! Thanks for the post! Once I'm confident that my injuries have faded away my bench should skyrocket. In January my max was between 250 and 265, never actually tested it though. My legs on the other hand...well they haven't been proportional because of running, but that's why I'm starting this program haha. I'm looking forward to when I start hitting gut busting numbers in these workouts

colinS3
06-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Wednesday, June 15th 2011

Workout B (Recovering from Injuries)

Squat
105x5
105x5
105x5

Rows (to replace power cleans - too risky with my shoulder right now)
45x5
45x5
45x5

Standing Overhead Press
45x5
45x5
45x5

My shoulder is feeling pretty good, and so is my elbow! I'll be lifting wimpy weights for at least another week until I feel confident enough to start boosting everything up to much more fitting numbers. Can't wait for that.

Also, I'm finally going to make an effort to eat a great lifting diet. I'm going to start out eating around 1g protein for every 1 lbs. of LBM (maybe a little bit more). My carb intake will be the same as my protein, and my fat intake will be less than both.

I'm thinking about buying a couple supplements like fish oil capsules, nitrean, and results. I would start off with fish oil capsules and nitrean, then once my body gets back into shape and the intensity starts to get up there I'll start using results. I just feel like results would go to waste for my first month in the current state I'm in haha. Luckily I have a summer job so I can afford all of this!

J.C.
06-15-2011, 03:27 PM
If you're recovering from injuries then definitely don't run before you can walk. Get used to it all, end every session with some static stretching, and then in a couple of weeks really attack it.

colinS3
06-15-2011, 07:14 PM
If you're recovering from injuries then definitely don't run before you can walk. Get used to it all, end every session with some static stretching, and then in a couple of weeks really attack it.

Yeah I'm stretching and icing religiously over here haha. As you can see the numbers are staying really low too and so far there are no problems. Just gonna keep up everything I'm doing and hope for the best.