PDA

View Full Version : 531 Max Problem

Morgan McPherson
05-31-2011, 08:04 PM
Lately I have run into a problem with 531. I noticed last training cycle I couldn't deadlift 475 on my last week. I got it off the floor, just couldn't seem to keep it moving. When I deloaded and started the new training cycle I noticed I could do 365x10, while still having a couple of reps in the tank. According to the max calculator I should be able to deadlift 485, and that is not counting if I plug in the higher rep count I could have done. I am wondering if the reason is because I touch and go, and that does not translate well to max effort work. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

barryisawinnah
05-31-2011, 08:06 PM
could be a few things

1. You might of just been having an off day.
2. Depending on how much bounce you get at the bottom, then that could be it. I reset each rep, but that is just me.

king cobra
05-31-2011, 11:23 PM
My deadlift isnt great compared to my bench but i noticed last time I went for my max that I was only able to do 425lbs static weight sitting on the floor but if the weight was sitting on the squat rack and I lowered it to the ground and lifted it I was able to do 445....? Dunno if that helps or even makes sense.

ZAR-FIT
06-01-2011, 05:46 AM
My deadlift isnt great compared to my bench but i noticed last time I went for my max that I was only able to do 425lbs static weight sitting on the floor but if the weight was sitting on the squat rack and I lowered it to the ground and lifted it I was able to do 445....? Dunno if that helps or even makes sense.

It has to do with the muscle spindles and golgi tendons in your muscle. Becuase of these your muscles can handle more if it iis stretched before contracting... as opposed to just contracting. Just like PNF stretching....
Also has to do with momentum and that little bounce you might get hitting the floor with the weights.

drew
06-01-2011, 06:17 AM
Don't rely on max calculators.

tnathletics2b
06-01-2011, 06:27 AM
If you are following the program correctly, then the 365x10 would have been on your 85% 5+ rep day. Doing the math, that means you are using 430 as your max (430 x .85 = 365). This means that on your last week of lifting heavy on the cycle (Week 3 of 4, the one before the deload) you should be doing 95% for your 1+. For you, this means roughly 410. Why are you going 65 pounds over the prescribed weight according to the program? This probably has a lot to do with why you couldn't get it.

And the max calculators are crap. It ain't a max unless you have actually lifted the weight!

The reason you didn't get it is because you just ain't strong enough yet. No worries, just keep working and you will get there! Good luck!

Morgan McPherson
06-01-2011, 05:23 PM
@tnathletics2b, I took 90% of the max that I was working with (475), and started a new cycles (430), that was what I did for week one of the new cycle.

I would still like to know why there is a lack of carry over. Is it because I am not stopping the weight between deadlifts? Have I been bouncing too much? Do I need to do more assistance work for lockout?

mchicia1
06-01-2011, 05:33 PM
It could be a lot of things...

1) Not enough recovery
2) Going too hard on the squat day (see #1)
3) Too much accessory work
4) Not enough rest days between lower body days

Post your entire routine and which days you work out.

drew
06-02-2011, 05:37 AM
@tnathletics2b, I took 90% of the max that I was working with (475), and started a new cycles (430), that was what I did for week one of the new cycle.

I would still like to know why there is a lack of carry over. Is it because I am not stopping the weight between deadlifts? Have I been bouncing too much? Do I need to do more assistance work for lockout?

Your maxes all say "ish", does this mean you've never actually lifted them? You're using 475 as a base max, have you ever lifted 475?

Morgan McPherson
06-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Usually I train bench on Monday, deadlift Tuesday, military Thursday, and Squat Saturday. Sometimes I do the big but boring assistance, I find it works well for DL, mostly I use the assistance work Wendler outlines in 531.

Your maxes all say "ish", does this mean you've never actually lifted them? You're using 475 as a base max, have you ever lifted 475?

Just an old signature, I am really busy with school and what not, so my numbers fluctuate. My bench is up, my squat is down, and my deadlift is I have no idea. I have deadlifted 485 when I was a bit heavier.

mchicia1
06-02-2011, 10:49 AM
So you have 3 days off between deadlifts to squats and 2 days off between squats back to deads...

Are you going for rep maxes every time you work out? That is not much recovery...both the squat and dead are very stressful on the lower back. 2 days off is not very much and is pushing the limit on recovery at the weights you are pulling, especially if you are going for rep maxes on everything. Switching to a 3 day/wk rotation would probably solve your problem. Also only 3 days off after deads is barely enough to squat heavy again...combine that with only the 2 days off before deads and you got recovery problems. No wonder your squats are down too.

It takes my lower back 4-5 days to recover after a heavy pulling session.

**Edit**
Edited my opinion on the 3 days off for squats.

mchicia1
06-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Also, combine that with the military press, which also taxes the lower back...

Your problem is 100% due to the fact that you aren't recovering enough.

mike mcgee
06-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Don't rely on max calculators.

Unless I am mistaken, Wendler suggests that you underestimate your loading percentages by subtracting 10% from your 1RM when calculating weights; He also suggests that on the last set you can do an "all out rep max" lifting that weight as many times as possible. The goal is to get at least the specified number of reps with that weight and anything beyond that can be considered the dividends that your efforts have payed out. Only attempt extra reps on the final heavy set.

That being said, are you taking how many reps you did on your last set 95% x 1 and using that as your new max, e.g. 475 x 5= 534? If you happen to have really good day in the gym, that number might be unrealistic for your following training cycle. According to the 5/3/1 plan, after completing each mesocycle, add 5 pounds to your 1RM total for bench press and overhead press, and 10 pounds to your squat and deadlift 1RM, and recalculate your percentages. If you run Wendler's 5/3/1 for a year, this progression pattern will add 50 pounds to your bench and press, and 100 pounds to your squat and deadlift. Be patient, and stick with the plan!

I hope this helps.

nickp8
06-02-2011, 03:15 PM
How many waves of 5/3/1 have you done? Sometimes after a few waves you need to reset your numbers a little lower to continue progress. If you can identify your weak point in the lift (lock out for you) address it with your accessory movements.