PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Developing a Diet For Hard Gainer With Busy Schedule

WakaFlockaFlame
05-31-2011, 10:44 PM
After years of pretending to be serious about bulking up, buying whey protein, hitting the gym and eating for 2 weeks...and then quitting...I need a change. At 25, feeling like I'm approaching the prime of life...I'm ready to commit. 145 lbs @ 5'11 isn't cutting it anymore. My biggest issue is establishing a diet and sticking to it. I DON'T cook meals. I don't have the time. I work a full time 8-430 and I'm also a graphic designer/video editor which requires me to be on the move more often than not. I've read through alot of the posts here on dieting and while I'm sure eating 6 meals a day of grilled chicken, salmon, rice, etc. will work...it's not really a good fit with my lifestyle. That stuff requires me to be Betty Crocker in the kitchen and I'm not.

I know protein shakes, supplements, etc. will assist with this but I really could use some recommendations on actual meals. I'm not afraid of the stove/oven by any means. But preparing full course meals in the kitchen EVERYDAY is a stretch. I need meals that I can whip up or microwave quick along with whatever mass building shakes/supplements are best for me. PB&J sandwiches, quick oatmeal, etc.

I have a 24 hour gym with pretty much everything in there so I got that part covered.

Help me bulk up guys. :clown:

Dan Fanelli
05-31-2011, 11:06 PM
First off, welcome to the forums. Being a "hardgainer" can be a vague description, but im assuming you are a hardgainer because you have a fast metabolism. If this is the case and you dont gain fat that easy, then you actually have it easier then some other hardgainers, that have trouble gaining weight, but get fatter easier.

Some very general advice. Plan ahead on everything. You need to be following a good basic training plan, and have a nutrition plan. Whey protein is great, but doesn't have a lot of calories which you need.

PB&J is just one of many foods that will be your best friend. So without going into too much detail, i'll just say stick to a basic progressive strength training plan, and plan out your meals so that you always have calories accessible to you. For diet, something like a 40/30/30 pro/carb/fat diet would be a good place to start but you might even go 33/33/33 or 25/50/25. Calories are going to be the key for you at least initially.

WakaFlockaFlame
05-31-2011, 11:13 PM
I don't think I gain fat that easily. Most people don't understand how I'm only 145. I eat horribly. McDonalds, Popeyes, Taco Bell, etc. EVERY day. Lunch and Dinner. McDonalds for breakfast (I've probably spent a million in my life on McDonalds).

I'm a very systematic person. I know if I'm gonna do this right...I need to have a specific schedule of foods to eat daily until I'm comfortable knowing what foods I need to eat in order to take in the right # of calories every day.

What's a good substitute for whey?

Dan Fanelli
06-01-2011, 01:03 AM
I can't completely spoon feed the info to you. You'll be much better off if you learn for yourself. Do a search for "bulk or cut". Specific foods are hard to recommend. It more comes down to setting up your calories and macros and then getting them in your body. Caloricly dense foods wil be your best friend for awhile. As for substitute for whey, try meat, eggs, milk, and then some whey

ZAR-FIT
06-01-2011, 05:20 AM
it would be wise to start carrying around a cooler if possible... some easy things to throw in there...
1. Cottage Cheese- complete protein, great substiture for whey
2. Peanut Butter- also great for hard gainers you could eat it at almost every meal.
3. Hard Boiled Eggs- dont need to be better crocker to cook these
4. Granola- good mix of complex and simple carbs- again good for weight gain, and you just buy pre-made.
5. Mass Gainer shakes- make sure not to buy ones that say they are full of sugar...

hope this helps a little bit.

f=ma
06-01-2011, 05:32 AM
do you think youre the first lifter with a job? i work 10 hour days min and i make it happen anyway. learn to prep your own food in the right amounts or continue to make no progress.

drew
06-01-2011, 05:51 AM
At 145 pounds, you just need to gain some weight. No need to be super strict about it. The first thing you should do is determine exactly how many calories you are taking in every day. If you think you are eating a lot, you are probably wrong. Try fitday.com to get started.

If you're really committed to eatin right, cook your meals for the week all in one shot and then put them in tupperwares in the fridge. I usually cook a week's worth of chicken every sunday night and then just grab what I need each day.

borracho
06-01-2011, 08:50 AM
do you think youre the first lifter with a job? i work 10 hour days min and i make it happen anyway. learn to prep your own food in the right amounts or continue to make no progress.

Hard cold truth. ^

There was a point in my life where I was traveling 120 miles ONE way to work a full 9 hour day...5 days a week AND going to school full time on top of that and I still managed to cook and feed my fat ass. I had to do most of the cooking ahead (sunday nights) and portion it out for the week to come and cook my breakfasts the night before but I was able to do it..and I am a lazy fuck. If you're a "systematic person" then get your shit in order and get it done. At the end of the day it'll be no ones fault but your own if you dont make gains.

It takes like 20 minutes to cook up a weeks worth of chicken and rice...then you can get frozen pre cut veggies and throw that shit in with it too. It really doesnt take that much effort (or time) to make meals. Also another idea would be to get canned lentils (or whatever other kind of beans you prefer) and throw that in with the chicken/beef/whatever. Dont be afraid to just throw stuff in the frying pan and see what comes of it.

Mercuryblade
06-01-2011, 09:02 AM
"I don't have time" = I'm currently not willing to prioritize.

Cook a bunch of food on sundays, and pack it up.

Dan Fanelli
06-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Hot pockets

mchicia1
06-01-2011, 09:30 AM
If you really want to gain weight, you will do whatever it takes. All of us on here work jobs....

I cook all my food for the day the night before and bring it in tupperware. Also, you will get fat from eating a bunch of fast food all day. Eat a lot, but make sure they are mostly clean sources. A couple burgers here and there won't hurt, but definitely don't make it every meal.

A good calorie dense shake that I have been using...

1.5 cups dry oats in a blender...put them in with no liquid first, then grind up the oats into powder. Add 8 ounces of whole milk. Add 2 scoops of whey. Blend shake....pour into cup/shaker cup...add extra milk/water if necessary. Drink one in the morning as soon as you wake up....drink one at night right before bed. This counts as two meals. Now find a way to add 3 more meals in between these.

borracho
06-01-2011, 09:57 AM
1.5 cups dry oats in a blender...put them in with no liquid first, then grind up the oats into powder. Add 8 ounces of whole milk. Add 2 scoops of whey. Blend shake....pour into cup/shaker cup...add extra milk/water if necessary. Drink one in the morning as soon as you wake up....drink one at night right before bed. This counts as two meals. Now find a way to add 3 more meals in between these.

To add some (good) calories to that try adding some peanut butter...tastes awesome and is a good way to pack away good tasting calories in a few minutes.

WakaFlockaFlame
06-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Appreciate all the advice. Keep it coming. I'm going to go purchase a blender later to make shakes.

I think some of you guys are assuming I just work an office job and that's it. Not really that simple. Cooking everything on sunday is a great idea...but that's assuming my sunday is open. My duties outside of my 9-5 could require me to be anywhere at anytime. I really DO not have a set time in my week where I know for sure I'll have nothing to do. Take this upcoming sunday for instance. I'm pretty much shooting a wedding all day and the turnaround time window is super small. I have to have everything edited and returned to the customer the next day. I probably won't sleep Sunday-Monday.

Another question...so what's the deal with whey? I see some people pro whey and some people against it.

borracho
06-01-2011, 01:58 PM
My gf does some shoots on the side and I know she spends a LOT of time editing so I can appreciate that. But, there has to be a time during a weeks period where you can dedicate an hour to prepping food, no? If you have some time to dedicate to the gym you can find some time to cook...doesn't have to be fancy just as long as there is good quality stuff in it.

mchicia1
06-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Appreciate all the advice. Keep it coming. I'm going to go purchase a blender later to make shakes.

I think some of you guys are assuming I just work an office job and that's it. Not really that simple. Cooking everything on sunday is a great idea...but that's assuming my sunday is open. My duties outside of my 9-5 could require me to be anywhere at anytime. I really DO not have a set time in my week where I know for sure I'll have nothing to do. Take this upcoming sunday for instance. I'm pretty much shooting a wedding all day and the turnaround time window is super small. I have to have everything edited and returned to the customer the next day. I probably won't sleep Sunday-Monday.

Another question...so what's the deal with whey? I see some people pro whey and some people against it.

With your schedule, you will have a tough time adding weight without a protein powder. Shakes will be your best friend.

WakaFlockaFlame
06-02-2011, 07:11 AM
My gf does some shoots on the side and I know she spends a LOT of time editing so I can appreciate that. But, there has to be a time during a weeks period where you can dedicate an hour to prepping food, no? If you have some time to dedicate to the gym you can find some time to cook...doesn't have to be fancy just as long as there is good quality stuff in it.

Most of the sample diets I come across always seem to have to a few meals that fall into that category. I can take an hour and prep some chicken breasts, rice, etc. But some of these weight gain diets are kind of overwhelming (and expensive to say the least).

I'm really not trying to be spending $300 / month on groceries.

WakaFlockaFlame
06-02-2011, 07:19 AM
With your schedule, you will have a tough time adding weight without a protein powder. Shakes will be your best friend.

What do you recommend?

mchicia1
06-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Most of the sample diets I come across always seem to have to a few meals that fall into that category. I can take an hour and prep some chicken breasts, rice, etc. But some of these weight gain diets are kind of overwhelming (and expensive to say the least).

I'm really not trying to be spending $300 / month on groceries.

300 a month is CHEAP. It gets expensive to build the body you want...I am dieting, I buy wholesale at Costco, and I still spend 400-500 a month. That is just to get in an average of 3500 calories.

Extreme example since he is a sponsored bodybuilder who weighs 300 lbs....but Dusty Hanshaw spends 300 a WEEK on groceries and that is during a diet down phase.

mchicia1
06-02-2011, 09:00 AM
What do you recommend?

I recommend the cytosport whey from Costco....34 bucks for 78 servings. If you are not a member, look on amazon for ON Whey protein...that is also priced fair.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307026814&sr=8-1

WakaFlockaFlame
06-02-2011, 09:40 AM
300 a month is CHEAP. It gets expensive to build the body you want...I am dieting, I buy wholesale at Costco, and I still spend 400-500 a month. That is just to get in an average of 3500 calories.

Extreme example since he is a sponsored bodybuilder who weighs 300 lbs....but Dusty Hanshaw spends 300 a WEEK on groceries and that is during a diet down phase.

:eek:

I see I'm going to have to cut some expenses.

I recommend the cytosport whey from Costco....34 bucks for 78 servings. If you are not a member, look on amazon for ON Whey protein...that is also priced fair.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrit...7026814&sr=8-1

I was going to choose between Costco and BJ's this week. I was leaning toward BJ's because they stay open later but I'm still undecided really. I've seen that ON Whey @ GNC before.

mchicia1
06-02-2011, 10:03 AM
:eek:

I see I'm going to have to cut some expenses.

I was going to choose between Costco and BJ's this week. I was leaning toward BJ's because they stay open later but I'm still undecided really. I've seen that ON Whey @ GNC before.

GNC probably stocks it at a premium. Yes, definitely check out costco/bjs...worth the 50 dollar a year price. I buy my whey, 10 lb bag of chicken, 90 eggs, my green tea, and my fish oil every two weeks there. Costs me about $100 total.

Dan Fanelli
06-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Don't go to GNC for anything, it's way overpriced. ON whey is $23 at vitamin shoppe and $34 at GNC.

Also to the OP, you mentioned you don't "cook meals". Well you don't need to. You just need to cook meats. Everything else can be uncooked. Cook a bunch of meat and then combine it with raw veggies and even breads. Potatoes can be cooked ahead of time with your meat as well. But all the other stuff like nuts, cottage cheese, pbj, don't require much prep

Alex.V
06-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Chicken and rice is great food if you're trying to lose weight. Why would you recommend foods with such absurdly low caloric density to someone trying to GAIN weight?

mchicia1
06-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Chicken and rice is great food if you're trying to lose weight. Why would you recommend foods with such absurdly low caloric density to someone trying to GAIN weight?

Yes, may be better off buying the tub of ground beef instead of the 10 lb bag of chicken :).

WakaFlockaFlame
06-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Gonna take a trip to Vitamin Shoppe later.

Great stuff here. I'm trying to put together a grocery list and a meal plan now.