PDA

View Full Version : Starting from Scratch

K-R-M
06-01-2011, 12:13 AM
I'm pretty much a newbie to the iron game (started about when I joined this site). I'm an engineer and a med student, but I love sports, all kinds of sports. I'm in it because I love it, I don't have the genes either to bodybuild or powerlift, but I still go in and train hard every week. I started training with a typical bodybuilding split, then turned to starting strength which I really liked, tried texas method but never looked forward to going to the gym when I did it so I dropped it quickly, then went for an upper/lower split, which I love.

This year was terrible compared to last year though. I had the time of my life in Prague, but I got badly injured (shoulder and back), detrained almost completely and got really sick a few times ( mono once, gastro once). I've been rehabbing since I've been back and trying out new stuff, I'm getting a feel for what works for me and keeps me healthy. Don't have much to offer the forum outside my knowledge of biology, but I hope I can one day have pics/strength to share.

My stats:

5'10
165lbs, started as a really small phaggot, (pics in the next posts), still am really skinny.
15+%bf I guess, always higher than we think hehe.

I don't have huge goals.

For the summer, I want to cut (I realize how skinny I am) because I want to learn the discipline of dieting.
I'd like to make strength gains during my cut. Strength gains don't come easy to me (neither do size gains), but I don't care. I just want to make progress, however small, every time I go to the gym. If I gain only 20lbs on my bench in 1 year, I honestly can say I don't care that much. Over 10 years that's 200lbs hehe. I train because it's one of the most enjoyable things I've done and do in my life (for all the partying, travelling in 20 different countries, sleeping around, night outs, etc. my little experience in training still ranks at the top). It's crazy how much I love planning workouts, thinking of new ways to get better, etc.
For the year, i want to go through bulking and cutting periods. Learning how to properly gaining mass (but not too much) and cutting the fat during the summer.
I'd like to get to a 405lbs deadlift. It's not a huge deal in the strength world, but to me, with my lower back and my total lack of sports experience before I started lifting, it is.
I'd like to find what I respond to in training: the right volume/rest. I like to do a lot of volume and a lot of work, it might be hurting my progress, so I'll try both a cycle of high volume, and a cycle of lowered volume.
And basically, I just want to be athletic and strong, my program reflects that I think. Maybe in the long term I'll do a powerlifting meet, we'll see.

Outside the gym, I hope I become passionate about my future career as a doctor. I can already feel it'll be the case though as I've loved my pre-med classes up to now. I want to continue travelling, do some humanitarian work (mostly to visit exotic countries, I'm not delluded into thinking I can make a difference lol, though I'll try), continue having friends, dunk a basketball (can almost jump to rim level), do a backflip, learn to breakdance LOL, learn a few languages, maybe settle down with someone for real this time, almost did before I came back to Canada.

K-R-M
06-01-2011, 12:19 AM
My diet:

Breakfast

250 ml Milk
1 scoop Protein powder
2 Eggs
1 serving Spaghetti whole wheat
2 TBS low fat Parmesan

250 ml Milk
1 scoop Protein powder
Fiber One 14 0 6 1

150 g EL ground beef (3 oz 20g protein, 10g fat)
TBS Olive Oil
Algea

150g EL Ground Beef
TBS Olive Oil
Brocoli

1 chicken breast
TBS Peanut butter
Fish Oil
Sauce

TOTAL: 2000
80gs fat
120gs carbs
200gs protein

Here's a pic of a huge 120lbs or so of myself.
Then, me at 165lbs, back shot.
About 1 year difference.

K-R-M
06-01-2011, 12:20 AM
Tried a Smolov cycle, really helped my front squat. I was doing 185lbs times 1 coming back from Prague (HORRIBLE condition/strength/fat gain). Got 225lbs x 3, pretty happy about that. Doing some shoulder rehab as well

Now, will go back to an upper/lower split. Some speed, strength, hypertrophy work. Will decide on goals when I stop my cut. For now, just get into shape for when school starts.

K-R-M
06-01-2011, 12:48 AM
Training today was real easy. Just squat technique work, deadlift technique work.

K-R-M
08-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Small update.

Training going well considering the calorie deficit. Hit a wall in my cut, so cut down on the calories even more. Honestly, I'm pretty damn skinny right now and don't have good ab genetics, but I figure it'll get better as I gain mass. Will continue for 4 weeks still (been 8 weeks now) and I'll be happy. Lost about 12lbs, didn't lose strength (gained a LOT actually, compared to where I was coming back to Canada).

Two vids of recent training:

l8_xk2N-M4Y
This was 405 on 4.75". Had more, but had trained too much lately and my hips were shot from doing crossfit stuff the day before (not into crossfit btw, but some friends are).

Training for today, helped out a friend with his squat form, so my training went from about 1h15 to I don't know how long.

Warm up:
Glute ham raises
3 x 10 x BW

Training:
Front squats
7 x 5 x 170lbs

Sumo rack pulls (a bit less than 3 inches)
warm up
1 x 315
1 x 365
Fail twice @ 405 (thought I had it, will attempt 385 next week)
1 x 315 (felt like the heaviest 315 of all time lol)
was destroyed after those two 405 attempts

SSB squats (never tried these, was still destroyed from deadlifts)
3 x 5 x bar+1pps (got up to 2pps but reps felt heavy)
Liked this a lot, I'm going to add them, but I can't see myself dropping front squats, we'll see how I'll add these. Maybe just 2-3 sets of high reps.

Glute bridges (from Contreras, first time trying these)
2 x 12 x 225
wow, good exercise, never felt glutes like this

Back ext:
Lots of reps with some weight behind my back.

Abs

PxhnbogKGqM

I weight 152lbs now LOL at 5'10". Jesus.

Reduced fat for calories. Will see how it goes this week, if I don't see notable improvement, will go to overdrive for three weeks and remove carbs for breakfast. Training will take a hit though I'm sure, will add in refeeds.

chevelle2291
08-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Nice pulls. I was laughing at the jazzercise going on behind you in the second vid. :clown:

Be careful with dropping calories after coming to a stall. I never dropped my calories below 2500 on my cut, down from 4000 while bulking. I'd look into refeeds instead of just cutting calories right away.

If you start a thread in the diet section I'm sure Behemoth would help you out pretty quickly. Dude knows how to diet and I attribute all of my success last cut to his advice.

Where are your calories at now? Are you tracking calories via measuring cups/scale?

The way Rory looks at things and the way I look at them too is that cutting is all about losing weight at the SLOWEST rate you can accept in order to keep your hard-earned size.

So, you don't want to drop your calories by a 1500 right off the bat. 500-750 is probably best. You also DON"T want to start cardio right away (if you're already somewhat lean). You only want to add cardio/cut calories when the scale hasn't budged for a while. That could be a week or a week and a half, it just depends.

The refeeds help kick up your metabolism and let your body know that you're not, in fact, starving. I did two refeeds during my cut and within a week there was a definite, noticeable loss of fat, both visually evident and evident on the scale.

K-R-M
08-02-2011, 06:35 PM
I already asked Rory a lot of questions lol, the man is a gold mine of information and will go out of his way to help you. This is my first cut, it's been going really well and I attribute A LOT of that success to him.

I track calories through measuring cups. My biggest problems is tracking them for meat, but I found a decent system so there's no variation day to day at least.

I've been stuck for about 2 weeks now, maybe a bit more. I gained back weight and lost a bit during my 3 month rehab coming back from Prague. Then, on June first I started cutting from about 163-165lbs to what I am now (152lbs). I had already slowly upped calories to regain strenth, then slowly dropped them to find maintenance, then dropped again for my cut. I've been at 2000 calories since June 1st basically. I admit I feel if I eat less, I won't feel good.

I rethought about it, talked to some people and cardio + refeeds sometimes might be a better idea than cutting cals even more.

PS: I have to film more, because what those girls were doing was nothing compared to some of the things I see here. Montreal gyms are just... ugh. Also, you gotta reopen your journal, fuck the haters, us n00bs loved it.

chevelle2291
08-02-2011, 09:20 PM
I already asked Rory a lot of questions lol, the man is a gold mine of information and will go out of his way to help you. This is my first cut, it's been going really well and I attribute A LOT of that success to him.

I track calories through measuring cups. My biggest problems is tracking them for meat, but I found a decent system so there's no variation day to day at least.

I've been stuck for about 2 weeks now, maybe a bit more. I gained back weight and lost a bit during my 3 month rehab coming back from Prague. Then, on June first I started cutting from about 163-165lbs to what I am now (152lbs). I had already slowly upped calories to regain strenth, then slowly dropped them to find maintenance, then dropped again for my cut. I've been at 2000 calories since June 1st basically. I admit I feel if I eat less, I won't feel good.

I rethought about it, talked to some people and cardio + refeeds sometimes might be a better idea than cutting cals even more.

PS: I have to film more, because what those girls were doing was nothing compared to some of the things I see here. Montreal gyms are just... ugh. Also, you gotta reopen your journal, fuck the haters, us n00bs loved it.

lol, perhaps at some point. I've already closed and re-opened it once. I'll probably reopen it if I end up competing come 2013. That's a long ways off.

bloodybob
08-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Also, you gotta reopen your journal, fuck the haters, us n00bs loved it.

Truth.

bloodybob
08-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Do you play trumpet??

K-R-M
08-03-2011, 10:35 AM
No man, ex-concert pianist.

K-R-M
08-03-2011, 03:41 PM
AM: morning fasted cardio, just 20 minutes of biking, this is my first time doing this. Felt good man. Will work up to 40 minutes abuot 5 times a week.
Morning weight: 68.5kg

First session of the new training cycle, been reading a lot on hypertrophy lately. More emphasis on time under tension, eccentric control and form. Tried some rest pausing today, fucking loved it, workout took less time and I really felt the work. Would love to do DC down the line, so I got 5 years to learn how to train.

Upper body training.
1st session of bench routine:
4 x 7 x 145
DB bench
8 x 75lbs
5 x 75
60lbs 14RP

Tri ext.s
25RP 27.5lbs

DB cheat rows no straps
2 x 12 x 100lbs

Seated cable rows
17RP @ 135lbs

Side and rear delt raises
reps
Abs pulldowns
Reps

Ended by doing a Tabata on the way back home. I ride my bike back, so it gives me transportation + good HIIT workout hehe.

Got some Yohimbine HCL by mail, illegal in Canada :evillaugh:.

chevelle2291
08-03-2011, 11:53 PM
Nice work. DB pressing is awesome for chest. Better than barbell benching by far.

What's the split look like now?

One thing I will say is that dumbbell rows are WAY more effective if you move them back and up near your hip/oblique instead of to the shoulder/chest. You'll feel it way more in your lats doing it that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHdz7ZMxkoI&feature=related

Kinda like that, although I am way more explosive on the positive portion of the lift.

K-R-M
08-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I that's how I do them. I cheat them up a bit, but not insanely. It should use straps, but I like the grip work it gives me. I just add in the seated cable rows after to get the feel I want in my back.

It's a Lower/Upper split, looks a lot like a powerlifters routine for the lower body and a bodybuilder's for the upper body. We've got a lot of push/pulls where I live, so I that's why I do a bench/incline every upper session and front squats+deadlifts every lower session (I've never competed though). My program will focus on mass gain come september, but the structure has been the same for a while now. I tweak when I reach plateaus, drop what doesn't work and take notes of what works. I really hate switching programs, I only did it once and it was because it really wasn't giving me anything anymore (starting strength/texas method - though the program was amazing for me).

K-R-M
08-05-2011, 09:07 PM
AM cardio - felt good man - adding Yohimbine tommorow at 3mg.

Lower body workout today. Finished "light" phase of my front squats, going into medium and heavy in the next 4 weeks.

Front squats
10 x 3 x 185

Sumo deadlift, overhand grip, pause each rep. (Tried not squatting the weight up, deadlifted like it was almost a conv. deadlift, but using leg drive to the outside, felt awesome)
20 x 225 (had to stop there, right hamstring felt like it was going to snap and got a MASSIVE headache, next time, 25)

45 deg back extension, weight in front (was shot after deadlifts)
12 x 90 lbs
9 x 90lbs
8 x 90lbs
7 x 90lbs

GHRs (therapeutic, for the hamstring, very light)
3 x 10 x BW

Side bends on 45 deg back raise
3 x 10 x 52,5lbs

Ab to face
15RP

just 5 minute of cardio riding bike back home, didn't have the energy to do a tabata (did backflip practice yesterday, then tried to dunk - almost have it - and spent the day renovating)

in other news though, I thought it was funny that chevelle posted this vid:

w5a6rHMoWgE

It's Antoine Vaillant, just saw him train at my gym. Guy's got insane aesthetics, great size for his age, his small waist isn't a joke - widest shoulder to small waist ratio I've ever seen. Was doing some rack pull clusters with 700lbs.

bloodybob
08-06-2011, 02:50 PM
That's a lotttta reps, son.

K-R-M
08-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Had a small workout at the YMCA yesterday. Not sure if I'll ever go there. My usual gym is no nonesense, everyone (or almost) lifts well. Lots of big guys, strongest powerlifter in the province + best up and coming bber in Canada.

AM cardio - took Yohimbine HCL for first time @ 3mg, no sides.

Upper body day - light week - first week of cycle
Incline bench
4 x 8 x 135
Strict DB row from ground, reset each rep (all benches were taken)
10 x 95lbs
Seated DB press
10 x 45lbs
9 x 45
8 x 45
6 x 45
BB tri ext, slow concentric
12 x 80lbs
12 x 80lbs
did a rest pause her ebut didn't note reps
[At this point I had 0 energy or strength left]
BB rows
reps @ 135, was complete shit
Lat pulldowns
shit
DB raises
shit
facepulls
shit

Had 0 energy, felt bad, so I did a refeed for the day. Ate a bit more than a pound of chicken breast, 88gs of protein from beef jerky, 2 shakes, 4 small pitas, spaghetti, 2 bags of low fat popcorn, 1 cup of basmati rice, 2 pieces of chocolate fudge cake, a few glasses of milk, a glass of mango juice... felt good man.

Felt great today, slept 10 hours, upped the Yohimbine to 4,5mg, woke up 1.5kg heavier, took some pics below of my cut progress. Really happy with the cut progress, I was in horrible shape a few months ago and now I can see abdominal definition for the first time(got to go down real low in bf% to see them). This is my first cut, but I'll be doing them every summer from now on, 4 - 5 months instead of 2-3 next time as well. I feel for the first month or two I can still gain mass, and strength I can gain till the last month or two. For 151lbs @ 5'9 1/2", I think it's decent, with lots of room for improvement in the next year. This was the first time my training was focused on 1 objective (generally, it's all over the place, so is my diet), my next objective will be gaining mass, my program will reflect that this time.

That's a lotttta reps, son.

Yeah man, one of my friends did over 30 reps at 2 plates, want to beat that. He did them touch N go though, so I can't wait to shove it in his face when I do 40 with a pause :evillaugh:. I also feel they're very therapeutic for my lower back.

chevelle2291
08-08-2011, 01:04 AM
in other news though, I thought it was funny that chevelle posted this vid:

w5a6rHMoWgE

It's Antoine Vaillant, just saw him train at my gym. Guy's got insane aesthetics, great size for his age, his small waist isn't a joke - widest shoulder to small waist ratio I've ever seen. Was doing some rack pull clusters with 700lbs.

If I could look like anyone else, it would be him. Excellent quads n delts. Needs more chest, but that's my only complaint.

Dude looking lean as FUCK in the new pictures. GJDM.How much farther are you going to go?

Should get an avi up.

K-R-M
08-08-2011, 08:27 PM
No AM cardio today, had golf classes + had to renovate my house a bit.

Lower body workout

Front squats (I have to video my front squats, they are deep as fuck)
4 x 9 x 170
Sumo Deadlifts, no belt, double overhand grip
5 x 135
5 x 185
3 x 225
1 x 275
1 x 315
Stopped there. 315 went up real easy, but cutting = very quick strength loss. Didn't want to fuck up my back for no reason, I won't gain any strength in the next 4 weeks anyways.
Glute bridges
8 x 225, complete shit, will do them really light for very high reps next week
Very low box squats (just technique work, and getting back into back squatting)
5 x 135
5 x 185
5 x 225
1 x 245
2 x 3 x 225 Felt good, had problems keeping the bar on my back... weird.
Glute ham raises
2 x 15 x BW
Back raises (plate behind head)
15 x 25lbs
15 x 25lbs
Abs on GHR machine (weight behind head)
3 x 15 x 10lbs
Oblique work
PWO cardio: 30 minutes rowing

Good session, nothing fancy, but will have to improve upon this.

If I could look like anyone else, it would be him. Excellent quads n delts. Needs more chest, but that's my only complaint.

Dude looking lean as FUCK in the new pictures. GJDM.How much farther are you going to go?

Should get an avi up.

Thanks bro. I think I'll do about 4 - 5 weeks more. Depends on my results, but I'm already really happy with what I've done, for a first cut @ 151lbs LOL. I have no idea what my bodyfat is though, any estimates are welcome lol.

macdaknife
08-09-2011, 04:31 AM
A lot of good stuff going on in here man, keep up the good work!

K-R-M
08-10-2011, 08:02 PM
45 mins AM fasted cardio with 1,5mL @ 4.3mg/mL yohimbine.

Light Bench Press (that felt Heavy wtf)
5 x 5 x 165

DB bench
15RP @ 75lbs

T-bar row
5 x 3 plates
10 x 3 plates
10 x 3 plates

Seated cable pull
24RP @ 135lbs

Seated BB press
13RP @ 95lbs

Weighted dips
21RP @ 25lbs+BW

DB curls
16RP@32.5lbs

20mins cardio PWO.

Bench press strength always goes doewn it seems when I'm not in a caloric surplus/maintenance. Shouldn't have felt heavy at all as my paused 1RM is 95kgs (about 210lbs). The workout was great though, I've really had a long streak of great workouts. Vascularity was out of this world today. I'm loving the rest pauses and the slow concentrics. My bulk will have less exercises than what I'm doing now, but I'm going to keep following the plan until I finish the cut. I'm doing a few tweaks to my diet, so good stuff coming up I hope.

A lot of good stuff going on in here man, keep up the good work!

Thanks mac.

chevelle2291
08-11-2011, 02:41 PM
4-5 weeks should be plenty. I wouldn't go much further than that, tbh. Hell, 3 weeks and you should be good.

I'd guess about 10% or so as your legs are very lean and you have solid ab definition. Would have to see lower back and hams to get a better idea. Best thing is to just go by the mirror and stop when you are happy.

My strength dipped a decent amount during my cut too, but I also was switching up my movements a lot, so who knows how much I really lost and how much was just neural retardation setting in on some of the bigger strength movements. It all bounces back very quickly with a calorie surplus, so I wouldn't worry. :)

K-R-M
08-12-2011, 08:39 PM
5AM cardio, Yohimbine HCL 8,6mg, 45 minutes.

Morning weight after piss: 67,2kg!!! Holy shit I'm small right now loool.
Lower body session
Front squats
5 x 7 x 180lbs
Sumo deadlifts
5 x 2225
5 x 275
5 x 295
45 deg back raise
3 x 12 x 90lbs (in front)
45 side bend
3 x 10 x 55lbs
Leg to face
18RP

Great training session again. This is by no means a PR on deadlifts, but I'm extatic about it for many reasons.
1. Right after a big amount of volume on front squats.
2. Been doing sumo deadlifts since 2 months or so seriously.
3. I'm at something like 148lbs right now (vs 165lbs normally)
4. Coming back, I was so fucked up I couldn't deadlift 95lbs for 1 rep without pain.
5. Every rep paused
6. Double overhand grip. Not hook grip.
7. Caloric deficit (10 weeks in)
8. Slept 3 hours, Renovated the house in the sun all day, went training at 9pm.

Very pleased with how things are going. I look forward to my bulk: I'll start a thread in the nutrition section first though to get some feedback on how to approach it. It'll be an 8 month plan with mini cycles. I think something along the lines of working the lower body like a powerlifter and the upper body like a bodybuilder.

One very important thing I noticed; my work capacity is waaaaaay up since I started doing cardio. Definitely feel very healthy right now.

4-5 weeks should be plenty. I wouldn't go much further than that, tbh. Hell, 3 weeks and you should be good.

I'd guess about 10% or so as your legs are very lean and you have solid ab definition. Would have to see lower back and hams to get a better idea. Best thing is to just go by the mirror and stop when you are happy.

My strength dipped a decent amount during my cut too, but I also was switching up my movements a lot, so who knows how much I really lost and how much was just neural retardation setting in on some of the bigger strength movements. It all bounces back very quickly with a calorie surplus, so I wouldn't worry. :)

I'll check at the end of august, obviously I'll put some pics up. 10% seems to be about where I am right now, maybe lower to be honest. I'm actually already satisfied with how lean I am, I'm just continuing cause I want to push the limits.

My strength hasn't really dipped to be honest. It's been going up if anything. Only the bench press (not even the incline) gives me trouble. Where you at right now? Bulking or cutting?

chevelle2291
08-12-2011, 10:49 PM
I'll check at the end of august, obviously I'll put some pics up. 10% seems to be about where I am right now, maybe lower to be honest. I'm actually already satisfied with how lean I am, I'm just continuing cause I want to push the limits.

My strength hasn't really dipped to be honest. It's been going up if anything. Only the bench press (not even the incline) gives me trouble. Where you at right now? Bulking or cutting?

You rockin' the douchebag tanks at the gym yet? I finally worked up the courage to rock a cut up tank to the gym and found I was one of the most conditioned guys at my gym, while still having enough size in my shoulders/back/chest to make a cutoff look solid. Took my motivation to a whole new level to be honest. It's nice to look in the mirror between sets and notice that, hey you're looking pretty jakked.

Bulking. Strength is right about where I was at when I was 180 (going off of front squat poundage and pressing weights), but 20 lbs lighter, so I can't complain. The weight gain is coming slowly however, and I'm not necessarily trying to gain quickly, although I need to if I want to cut in June like I'm planning.

Have you looked into a power/hypertrophy split at all? LOTS of natty pros take a similar approach, and it seems to work well. I'm a link you to a few noteable natty logs that use this approach, as well as a cookie cutter split on BB.com that I almost ran with that I thought was very interesting.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130031403 Rob Sardinia

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130479443 Alberto Nunez

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130831473 Eric Helms

A 10 day strength/hypertrophy rotation.

Day 1: Heavy Upper
Day 2:
Day 3: Heavy Lower
Day 4:
Day 5: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Day 6: Back, Biceps
Day 7:
Day 8: Legs
Day 9:
Day 10:
Repeat, or Repeat on Day 10

Day 1 - Heavy Upper.

Bench 3 x 3 or 3 x 5 or work up to a 1RM
Row 3 x 5
OH Press 3 x 5

Day 3 - Heavy Lower.

Squats 3 x 3 or 3 x 5 or work up to a 1RM
GHR 3 x 5
Calves 3 x 6

Days 5-8 All exercises are 2-4 sets of 8-15 reps.

Day 5 - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps.

Bench or Dips
DB Flyes
Side Lateral Raises
Front Lateral Raises
Tricep Isolation

Day 6 - Back, Biceps.

Wide Grip Chins
Rows
Pulldowns
Shrugs
Curls

Day 8 - Legs.

Squat Variant
GHR
Leg Press
Ham Work
Calf Work

NOTE: The above routine can also be condensed into the 7 day week for those that can tolerate the workload. Monday and Tuesday would be heavy upper and heavy lower, Wednesday would be off followed by the higher rep work on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Sunday off and repeat. This is based on the training style of Layne Norton. Before you try this however be sure that you can tolerate training 5 days per week, this would be suited to more advanced lifters.

Pretty solid split if you ask me. I'd keep the volume to only 2-3 sets on those hyper days, and try to keep it to a 8-9 day rotation, but it's a cool combo of strength and hyper work. Some will disagree, but it is very rare for a dedicated powerlifter to have massive quads. Always have great ham and glute development, but a good set of quads is a rare commodity in PLing it seems.

K-R-M
08-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Saturday:
No AM cardio - finished all my renovations.

Upper body session:

Incline BB bench
5 x 5 x 150lbs

Incline DB bench
15RP @ 60lbs

BB row (second time doing these
12 x 135
12 x 145
8 x 155
(liking this exercise)

Pull ups
16RP

DB press
20 RP @ 50lbs

Smith machine CGBP
20RP @ 135lbs

Preacher curl
19RP @ 40lbs

20 min stairmaster @ level 11

Great workout again. I've been having a long string of great workouts, with weights/reps going up and it's been showing in the mirror. Work capacity has been higher since I added cardio. Went through all of this in less than 1 hour (except the cardio).

You rockin' the douchebag tanks at the gym yet? I finally worked up the courage to rock a cut up tank to the gym and found I was one of the most conditioned guys at my gym, while still having enough size in my shoulders/back/chest to make a cutoff look solid. Took my motivation to a whole new level to be honest. It's nice to look in the mirror between sets and notice that, hey you're looking pretty jakked.

Bulking. Strength is right about where I was at when I was 180 (going off of front squat poundage and pressing weights), but 20 lbs lighter, so I can't complain. The weight gain is coming slowly however, and I'm not necessarily trying to gain quickly, although I need to if I want to cut in June like I'm planning.

Have you looked into a power/hypertrophy split at all? LOTS of natty pros take a similar approach, and it seems to work well. I'm a link you to a few noteable natty logs that use this approach, as well as a cookie cutter split on BB.com that I almost ran with that I thought was very interesting.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130031403 Rob Sardinia

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130479443 Alberto Nunez

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130831473 Eric Helms

Pretty solid split if you ask me. I'd keep the volume to only 2-3 sets on those hyper days, and try to keep it to a 8-9 day rotation, but it's a cool combo of strength and hyper work. Some will disagree, but it is very rare for a dedicated powerlifter to have massive quads. Always have great ham and glute development, but a good set of quads is a rare commodity in PLing it seems.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm one of the better conditionned people, but I can't see myself with the douchebag tank just yet. Gotta build up a credibility to lose.

I already got a really good Upper/Lower 4 day routine. I've tried Starting Strength, Westside and 5-3-1 up to now. I know how quick I can gain on a great program (Starting Strength) and how slow I can gain on a bad program (5-3-1). Westside was really good for size gains, but the routine I'm doing has just been constant improvement week after week. I keep what works, drop what doesn't and try new things once in a while. I would rather just hammer my program until there's nothing (if that ever happens) left then switch at the moment. My plan is to look at the moment I stall and play with 1 variable at a time to understand why I stalled. It'll take more time at first, but in the long run I'll be better for it.

My lower days for my bulk will look a bit like this:

1. Squats
Front Squats
Romanian deads / rack pulls / back raises /20 repper
Abs (obliques + anti-flexion)

2. Front squats
Sumo deadlifts
Romanian deads / rack pulls / back raises /20 repper

Squats will be simple linear progression, front squats I'll continue on Smolov (on my third straight base cycle), and the assistance I'll see according to what I need. Probably 1 day a 20 repper for legs + some back raises, the other day Rack pulls / Romanian deadlifts depending on how I feel training back in my upper days.

chevelle2291
08-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Yea man, if it works it works. No reason to fuck with it.

I REALLY like romanian/stiff deads. Deadlifts are a back exercise for me when pullling convi, but SLDLs I ALWAYS feel in my glutes/hams the next day. They are awesome.

K-R-M
08-15-2011, 09:08 PM
No AM cardio.

Morning weight: 148.5lbs, starting to get pretty damn lean.

Lower body session:

Low bar Squats:
4 x 5 x 45lbs
5 x 95
5 x 135
5 x 185
3 x 225
1 x 255 (belt)
5 x 275lbs (belt)
Felt easy as fuck. Real happy about this since it was my first time free squatting in months. Last time, I ended up fucking up an already fucked back. I feel this is going to go up fast if I stay healthy.

Front Squats
7 x 5 x 190lbs

Sumo rack pulls from 6.75"
1 x 315
1 x 365
1 x 405lbs
Noticed I was squatting the weight up. I read NickAus' log and took his advice, I'm PULLING it now. Fuck what a difference. Can see how this'll give me much more carryover (+ much more upper back work)

Back raises (weight behind head)
20 x 25lbs
15 x 25lbs
12 x 25lbs

Situps on GHR (weight behind head)
15 x 12.5lbs
15 x 15lbs
15 x 17.5lbs

Cable side twists
2 sets 15 reps

PWO cardio - 40 minutes

Session felt fucking good. Don't know what's happening lately, but the penis feels good, the workouts feel awesome, I want to smash every weight I see and the strength gains keep coming and coming as I'm losing fat. Fuck yes. Maybe put some pics up soon.

Yea man, if it works it works. No reason to fuck with it.

I REALLY like romanian/stiff deads. Deadlifts are a back exercise for me when pullling convi, but SLDLs I ALWAYS feel in my glutes/hams the next day. They are awesome.

Fuck yes. I'm not doing them right now because we have a GHR at my gym. I leave next Thursday for med school and the gym there doesn't have one.

chevelle2291
08-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Ugh I hate back squats lol. Always have an injury with those, and never make progress. So I avoid them like the plague. :p

405 is solid as hell. I couldn't touch that right now.

K-R-M
08-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Ugh I hate back squats lol. Always have an injury with those, and never make progress. So I avoid them like the plague. :p

405 is solid as hell. I couldn't touch that right now.

Back squats are a staple when I want to gain weight. You can't not gain weight doing low bar squats.

What kind of injuries do you get when you do them?

chevelle2291
08-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Back squats are a staple when I want to gain weight. You can't not gain weight doing low bar squats.

What kind of injuries do you get when you do them?

Pulled a hammy, injured my back over a year ago (still affects me somewhat, although I've greatly reduced the symptoms through stretching/foam rolling), Stage 2 tear of my right hip flexor/grointhing, elbow tendinitis, slight shoulder issues, blah blah blah. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a WLing injury that WASN't due to back squats, heh.

It is the only lift I don't see progress on and frankly have never gotten a lot of benefit out of. Hit 340x1 with a belt with the flexor tear and a shoddy lower back. Probs coulda hit 360-370 or so completely healthy and with more sessions.

Gave me a hella set of glutes. Quads, no. :p

Funny part is, I started back squatting again about four weeks ago. Three weeks in, I swear I was this close to pulling my OTHER flexor, and I was only doing like 225x6. Ditched them after that.

I hit 225x5 or something like that for front squats the other night, and 250 for a double after an 11-rep heavy set. I have no doubt I'll surpass my back squat max with front squats in a year's time, if I stay healthy. 315# x 3 is the goal by Xmas.

/back squat hate.

K-R-M
08-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Cheated quite a bit with the diet yesterday.

Me and my sister made some tiramisu for my mom's birthday. It was so fucking delicious, I ate about 1000 cals worth of it. Also ate a whole popcorn bag, 2 pitas and a shitload of basmati rice (1 cup uncooked). Didn't do any cardio either. Doesn't matter and it wasn't that bad actually. Back on track today.

Today:
45 minutes AM cardio (didn't mention it yet, but it's biking on an awesome trail through nature)

Upper Body workout

Bench press
4 x 7 x 155 lol EZ

DB bench
13RP @ 75lbs [big error here, did not take any rest between last set of BP and DB bench, 75lbs felt really light but endurance - i.e. triceps - failed too quickly]

T-bar Row
3 x 10 x 3 plates

Seated cable row
21RP @ 150lbs

Seated BB press
17RP @ 95lbs... was shit. They got rid of the seated press bench, had to do it in the squat rack and it felt really awkward.

Dips
22RP @ 45lbs + BW [pretty damn happy about this]

DB curls
21RP @ 32,5lbs

Everything felt easy. Could've really destroyed this workout, but decided I'd rather keep my strength for the long run. The overreating definitely helped that's for sure. Next cut, I think I'll keep carbs higher.

Pulled a hammy, injured my back over a year ago (still affects me somewhat, although I've greatly reduced the symptoms through stretching/foam rolling), Stage 2 tear of my right hip flexor/grointhing, elbow tendinitis, slight shoulder issues, blah blah blah. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a WLing injury that WASN't due to back squats, heh.

It is the only lift I don't see progress on and frankly have never gotten a lot of benefit out of. Hit 340x1 with a belt with the flexor tear and a shoddy lower back. Probs coulda hit 360-370 or so completely healthy and with more sessions.

Gave me a hella set of glutes. Quads, no. :p

Funny part is, I started back squatting again about four weeks ago. Three weeks in, I swear I was this close to pulling my OTHER flexor, and I was only doing like 225x6. Ditched them after that.

I hit 225x5 or something like that for front squats the other night, and 250 for a double after an 11-rep heavy set. I have no doubt I'll surpass my back squat max with front squats in a year's time, if I stay healthy. 315# x 3 is the goal by Xmas.

/back squat hate.

I'm going to have to drive down south and slap you man. Back squats are the shit if you can stay healthy. Front squats + back squats = insane set of wheels.

Insane goal going from 250 for a double to 315lbs in 4 months, I'm definitely going to make sure you do it :evillaugh:. My front squat max is 240lbs and 225lbs for 3. Maybe a race to 300lbs ?:strong:

Alex.V
08-18-2011, 06:00 AM
Today:
45 minutes AM cardio (didn't mention it yet, but it's biking on an awesome trail through nature)

CARDIO BUNNY. GET OFF THIS SITE!!!

chevelle2291
08-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Cheated quite a bit with the diet yesterday.

Me and my sister made some tiramisu for my mom's birthday. It was so fucking delicious, I ate about 1000 cals worth of it. Also ate a whole popcorn bag, 2 pitas and a shitload of basmati rice (1 cup uncooked). Didn't do any cardio either. Doesn't matter and it wasn't that bad actually. Back on track today.

Fatass.

I'm going to have to drive down south and slap you man. Back squats are the shit if you can stay healthy. Front squats + back squats = insane set of wheels.

depends on how you back squat. Olympic back squat? Fuck yea you can build some damn good quads. PLing style with a big ass stance and sitting back? Naope, at least not that I've seen. My glutes can crush an apple, though. :)

Insane goal going from 250 for a double to 315lbs in 4 months, I'm definitely going to make sure you do it :evillaugh:. My front squat max is 240lbs and 225lbs for 3. Maybe a race to 300lbs ?:strong:

http://sometimesigetangry.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/fuck_yea_in_hd_by_crusierpl_re_sharenator_is_growing-s900x773-1208112.png

That double was after like 205x11 and 225x4, so it's def doable. I may go for 275 for a single or double tonight, just depends on how I feel.

chevelle2291
08-18-2011, 11:35 PM
I hit 225# x 8 and then followed it up with 250# x 3 after on front squats.

http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/085/290/original/come%20at%20me%20bro.jpg?1291096708

:)

K-R-M
08-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Thursday I cycled in AM (45min), ran with a friend (50 mins) then went to hit some golf balls.

Friday: AM cardio

Lower body session
Front squats
6 x 3 x 205lbs
Deadlifts
5 x 225lbs
Stopped there, wanted to give myself some rest. Went to play golf after.

Saturday:
Incline Bench
3 x 8 x 140lbs
8 x 145lbs

Incline DB bench
24RP @ 60lbs, upping this next week

BB rows
10 x 165lbs
10 x 185lbs
10 x 185lbs
a bit of body language, will stay at this weight

DB strict rows (like the vid in the first page)
3 x 10 x 90lbs
Awesome pump in the lats

DB press
20RP @ 55lbs (will go up next week)

Tris on smith machine
21RP @ 155lbs (up)

Preacher curls
20RP @ 45lbs (up)

50 mins bike ride after the workout. Hungry as fuck today.

Took it easy in the lower body session, but real happy about the upper body session.Now @ 66.9kg [morning weight] or about 147lbs. I think I'm about 9% which means 134lbs of LBM [glycogen depleted]. 4 more weeks of dieting would put me around 6%. I might stop before that, we'll see. I've attained almost all of my goals and my before/after for 12 weeks I think are pretty awesome [check attachments - I had a belly, double chin, no mass]: six pack, arm vascularity, lost the fat on my face, back definition, even have veins I didn't know could show and am starting to get them on the quads. For 147lbs @ 5'9", this means I'm getting really, really lean.

I hit 225# x 8 and then followed it up with 250# x 3 after on front squats.

http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/085/290/original/come%20at%20me%20bro.jpg?1291096708

:)
Fack lol.

Even dieting I'll catch up this I swear. I'm tweeking my program for faster front squat gains. Once I start eating, watch your fucking back, phaggot. lol but seriously, you're going into beastmode.

Fatass.

depends on how you back squat. Olympic back squat? Fuck yea you can build some damn good quads. PLing style with a big ass stance and sitting back? Naope, at least not that I've seen. My glutes can crush an apple, though. :)

PLing style with a big ass stance and sitting back + front squats = insane leg development :evillaugh:. Since my back is better, I added squats back to my rotation. My basic 2 day a week lower body template is Squats + Front squats and Front squats + Sumo deadlifts.

CARDIO BUNNY. GET OFF THIS SITE!!!

I'm convinced of the benefits of cardio. My work capacity is up despite the added cardio and caloric deficit... and I just feel better overall.

I'll need your help now guys to plan my bulk now. Check my next post! Everyone's welcome to comment/help/suggest.

K-R-M
08-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Ok, so here's my plan for the bulk. I also have some questions if anyone reading wants to answer.

Training:

Lower body 1
Squats: work up to 5RM (try to go up 5-10lbs per week - right now at 275 x 5)
Front squats: last 2 weeks of Smolov Jr every month, but am open to suggestions.
Assistance exercise (Romanians, rack pulls, back raises)
15-20 min cardio

Upper body 1 (this takes me about 1 hour or less usually)
Bench Press (linear progression)
5-6 mins rest
DB bench - Rest pause [always go up in weight when I get to 20RP]
T-bar Rows - 3 straight sets
Pull ups - RP
Seated BB press - RP
Dips - RP
DB curls - RP
15-20 min cardio

Lower body 2
Front squats - Smolov jr
Sumo deadlifts - work up to 5RM (but sometimes switch for 10RM, 20RM)
Assistance 1 (optionnal - leg press 20 repper)
Assistance 2 (back raises, 45 deg raises)
Abs (same)
15-20 min cardio

Upper body 2
Incline bench (linear progression)
5-6 min rest
DB incline bench - RP
BB rows - 3 straight sets
DB strict row - RP
DB press - RP
Tris on smith - RP
Preacher curls - RP
Optionnal cardio

Pretty much all the exercises can be changed for an equivalent if I think I can't make any progress on them anymore. What I might do is get rid of the incline bench and just do DB inclines, get rid of the DB bench and just do normal benches. That way, when I stop progressing, I switch for the DB/BB version and I keep 1 variation with DBs and 1 with BBs.

For my diet, I'll mainly eat what I eat right now which is:
Basmati and brown rice, oatmeal, WW spaghetti, eggs, milk, protein powder, chicken breasts, lean beef, soya bacon bits, no fat cheese slices, low fat parmesan, roasted algea, white fish, salmon, low fat popcorn, olive oil, almond butter, peanut butter, brocoli, sauces and beans. Those are the foods I found taste really, really good (with the right recipes!), are cheap, come in bulk, are easy to prepare and are easy to account for. I love the occasionnal McDonald's too. I cut eating there about 1-2 times a week until recently.

My macros initially will be at 2500 cals (I'm at 2000 cals), but If I feel hungry, I'll eat more calories. I'll up the calories once I hit a wall. Macros will be high carbs, high protein, low fat generally, but high protein, moderate carbs (100-150gs), moderate fat (60-80gs) on off days. It'll depend how I feel.

I plan on doing cardio on my off days, maybe take 1 day off and have 1 day where I do some sort of total body conditionning workout. This is to keep the bodyfat low throughout the bulk (Dante speaks about this, and actually so does John Berardi with G-Flux, I noticed the same with 2 of my friends who train this way, including myself the last few weeks)

My plan is to bulk until May 1st, or 8 months, for 2 4 month training cycles.

My questions would be:
1. How much LBM can I expect to gain considering my initial size in 8 months? I would be satisfied being 6lbs heavier at the same amount of fat come the same date next year.
2. What should be my target weekly weight gain after the initial few pounds that'll be easy to gain once I stop dieting? [Note: I'll ease into my bulking diet, I won'tgo all out nor do i feel the need to eat junk right now] I was thinking 1-2lbs per month, after the initial 5-10lbs gain from stopping the deficit.
3. What should be my target strength gains week to week?

Let's get this shit started (soon).

bloodybob
08-21-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm convinced of the benefits of cardio. My work capacity is up despite the added cardio and caloric deficit... and I just feel better overall.

Interesting. I'd definitely like to add cardio to my schedule just for the health benefits... increased work capacity sounds good too! It's just so easy for me to keep off weight, I'm a little ambivalent.

Good training in here.

K-R-M
08-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Woke up at 66.5kg or about 146.5lbs today, I look more and more... ripped. Veins on the delts and running from my underarm all the way down the obliques to the "adonis belt". Went shopping today for some polos. There's this pretty high class store I go to with quality shirts. Every season they have a nice sellout and they cut prices at least 50%. I remember going the last two summers at around the same date, it's kind of my way to judge yearly progress in that mirror lol, since the lighting is awesome. Last year I remember being a bit buff, but soft. This year was completely different, looked like a completely different body. Really. fucking. happy. I'm pretty sure my shoulders grew during my cut as well, here's a delt/tri/back shot attached.

Training:

Sunday - did a full body circuit and some steady state cardio, 45 mins total.

Today: No AM cardio...

Had a crazy fucking day. Normally, I work every summer for about 20$/hr as a junior consultant/engineer for about 4 months. Gets me usually 11-12K$ for my two semesters. But since I already have an engineering diploma, I qualify for full scholarship. That means if I work, I don't get a free 10K$ from the government. I figured it wasn't worth it to work considering I'd get around the same cash doing fuck all. I also got a 5K$ from my Medical School (studying to be a doctor :)) as a bursary due to my academic achievements (only 5 given out of 200 new students). With another 4K loan, I was up to about 19K$ which was more or less enough cash.

Problem is I haven't been working since april as I've been catching up some needed pre-req courses for med school (acceptance with conditions). I finished two months ago but have been living on a 10K bank loan since march, with half of it already spent in my 7month exchange program. We're allowed from 50K to 200K bank loans (credit margin) at prime interest (almost nothing) if we're in med or dental school. Problem is, the 10K fucked my credit and I've been having problems getting it (though I should tommorow). With my laptop broken and some big spending coming up, I needed cash quick. This is where I'm thankfull I spent so much time learning how to invest and make money (MUST READ: THE INTELLIGENT INVESTOR by Benjamin Graham - it can literally make you a millionaire).

When everything was still going well and gold was selling at a decent price, I thought the collapse would be brutal so with a couple hundred dollars, I bought 31gs of 18K and 12gs of 16K gold. Fast forward, gold is selling 1876CAN$ a troy ounce and bulk gold buyers are offering 44$/g for 18K gold. I found a dealer for 41$/gs, which is decent to say the least. I sold my gold for 1660$ for a huge profit. What makes it sweater is I had bought a bunch of Bank of Montreal stocks during the 2008 (I think) dip giving me a dividend of 10% and an appreciation of 100% on a 2K$ investment. My first invesments were bad (not thousands of dollars bad, but regular losses culminating into a few hundred dollars lost), but experience and patience are really paying off. Anyways, I also got an additionnal 2K$ loan (all my gov loans are non-interest with no payment until after my residency is done LOL). So... things are going well finally lol.

Anyways, was destroyed from all the running around and preparing to leave for school in a few days. Went to train at 9:30pm. Been taking D-aspartic acid for the last few days and popped a few pills of caffeeine before the workout. Results:

low bar Squats (I go just before I butt wink, which is parallel)
4 x 5 x 45
2 x 5 x 95lbs
2 x 5 x 135lbs
3 x 185 lbs
3 x 225lbs
1 x 255lbs (belt on)
1 x 275lbs
5 x 295lbs (two were high, wasn't happy so I took 1 minute break and did this:)
3 x 295lbs (all good)
Basically, a 295lbs 5RM. Enormous PR for me, 2xBW 5RM, happy as fuck.

Front squats
7 x 175lbs
2 x 9 x 175lbs
4 x 175lbs (shoulders were burning)

45 deg back raise (DB in front, glued to chest)
3 x 12 x 95lbs (PR)

45 side raise
3 x 8 x 70lbs (enormous PR)

Ab crunches on GHR (weight behind head)
15 x 20lbs (huge PR)
8 x 20lbs
stopped there, took 1hr including warmups

5 mins stair master to cool down at level 11

Can't believe all the PRs I've been getting while cutting. I'm convinced I gained some muscle mass through all of this, maybe 1lbs, which honestly makes a huge difference. I also think I'm a great responder to D-aspartic acid.

K-R-M
08-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Interesting. I'd definitely like to add cardio to my schedule just for the health benefits... increased work capacity sounds good too! It's just so easy for me to keep off weight, I'm a little ambivalent.

Good training in here.

Thanks.

It's funny, right after my post I was reading some articles from natural pro Alberto Nunez. At least, it was on the site he writes for. I was reading his and another of his colleagues' (another very good natural pro) articles... and one of them said the same thing. Increased work capacity from the added cardio. I used to hate doing it, but I'm getting nothing but positive results and I'm actually enjoying doing it.

chevelle2291
08-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Ok, so here's my plan for the bulk. I also have some questions if anyone reading wants to answer.

Training:

Lower body 1
Front squats why not do a DE day or maybe just a 'feeler' day to keep the groove in form?
Fuck cardio

5-6 mins rest
Pull ups - RP
Seated BB press - RP
Dips - RP
DB curls - RP

Lower body 2
Sumo deadlifts - work up to 5RM-10RM
Front squats - Smolov jr Work up to heavy 5-10RM?
Assistance 1 (optional - leg press 20 repper)
Assistance 2 (leg curls)
Abs (same)

Upper body 2
DB incline bench - RP
DB strict row - RP
Lat Pulldowns/Pullover/Chins-RP
DB press - RP
Tris on smith - RP
Preacher curls - RP

Pretty much all the exercises can be changed for an equivalent if I think I can't make any progress on them anymore. What I might do is get rid of the incline bench and just do DB inclines, get rid of the DB bench and just do normal benches. That way, when I stop progressing, I switch for the DB/BB version and I keep 1 variation with DBs and 1 with BBs.

Basmati and brown rice, oatmeal, WW spaghetti, eggs, milk, protein powder, chicken breasts, lean beef, soya bacon bits, no fat cheese slices, low fat parmesan, roasted algea, white fish, salmon, low fat popcorn, olive oil, almond butter, peanut butter, brocoli, sauces and beans. Those are the foods I found taste really, really good (with the right recipes!), are cheap, come in bulk, are easy to prepare and are easy to account for. I love the occasionnal McDonald's too. I cut eating there about 1-2 times a week until recently.

My macros initially will be at 2500 cals (I'm at 2000 cals), but If I feel hungry, I'll eat more calories. I'll up the calories once I hit a wall. Macros will be high carbs, high protein, low fat generally, but high protein, moderate carbs (100-150gs), moderate fat (60-80gs) on off days. It'll depend how I feel.

I plan on doing cardio on my off days, maybe take 1 day off and have 1 day where I do some sort of total body conditionning workout. This is to keep the bodyfat low throughout the bulk (Dante speaks about this, and actually so does John Berardi with G-Flux, I noticed the same with 2 of my friends who train this way, including myself the last few weeks)

My questions would be:
1. How much LBM can I expect to gain considering my initial size in 8 months? I would be satisfied being 6lbs heavier at the same amount of fat come the same date next year.
2. What should be my target weekly weight gain after the initial few pounds that'll be easy to gain once I stop dieting? [Note: I'll ease into my bulking diet, I won'tgo all out nor do i feel the need to eat junk right now] I was thinking 1-2lbs per month, after the initial 5-10lbs gain from stopping the deficit.

First, fuck your quads.:)

I put my changes in where I saw fit. Feel free to disregard them.

IMO I think you are going to run into trouble doing heavy squats+front squats on day 1 lower and then heavy sumo deads and front squats on day 2 lower AS WELL as T-bar rows and barbell rows on the upper days. That is a LOT of lower back work and I just wouldn't risk it if I were you.

I also saw a bit of redundancy in there with your lifts. I didn't get why you'd do the DB flat after flat 5rm benching. Sure, DB will actually hit your chest more, but if you get up to a 300x5 your chest isn't going to be small anyways. :evillaugh:

I'd just focus on one exercise per muscle group for upper days, and split it as I've kinda done above where you have days focused for MAX STRENGTH lifting (5rm in flat bench, etc.) and then another day filled with RP work where you focus on strength in a higher rep range (probs 8-12)

I also think that doing all that PWO cardio AND cardio on off days is just way too much. You are lean as hell right now, probs 8-9. Think about it this way: What are you going to do when you have cut calories down quite a bit and still aren't lean enough yet on your next cut? With this plan you'd be doing cardio every day for 15-20 mins. You'd have to up that to 30-45 mins to get even leaner, which IMO is silly when you could just hold off on the cardio during your bulk or do cardio on your off days and then up it even more when it's NECESSARY to do so.

IMO 6lbs is just not a whole lot of weight for 9 whole months. You'd probably gain that and then some just with glycogen uptake and water gain with increased carbs. If you are going to do a bulk/cut cycle of roughly 9/3 months respectively, I say eat in a healthy surplus EVERY day and focus on getting stronger. Try and get up to 175-180 or so a LITTLE soft, and get your numbers up to a really solid level.

I think F=MA's journal called 'lifting journal pt 2' had him attempting a clean bulk after he dieted to 6%, but he ditched that plan as he found it was OCD and hindering his gains.

The whole lean gain route is good for SOME guys, but almost all the guys i've seen who advocate this approach (Alberto Nunez, most natty bodybuilders, etc.) have spent a GOOD DEAL of time being FAT AS FUCK and gained most of their size during that period of relative obesity. Some guys like Nunez think anything above .001 lbs of gain a week after a comp is ALL FATZ BRO!!!! I just don't think that's the case. You'd be limiting your gain significantly if you continue to be worried about being exceptionally lean.

I'd ditch the cardio for a bit (can keep it to moderate cardio for 15-25 mins or HIIT for short duration on off days if you like), up the calories to 2500 at first but then increase in increments of 500 when you see a stall, starting the increase on training days, mostly from carbs. Get a good amount of rest, so only train 4 days a week, and make sure you get a good amount of protein daily. I like 1.5g per lb of bodyweight, and won't stray from that (complete protein sources only).

Look at the link below:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/transm89.htm

see what I mean? He gained most of his size after a MASSIVE period of bulking. Not doing this whole 'mmk stayz 6% all year and gain .5 lbs in 10 months" bs that seems to be all the rage with natty bodybuilders these days.

**have a ton of respect for Alberto tho. He's the conditioning master.

chevelle2291
08-22-2011, 11:07 PM

Training:

Lower body 1
Front squats why not do a DE day or maybe just a 'feeler' day to keep the groove in form?
Fuck cardio

5-6 mins rest
Pull ups - RP
Seated BB press - RP
Dips - RP
DB curls - RP

Lower body 2
Sumo deadlifts - work up to 5RM-10RM
Front squats - Smolov jr Work up to heavy 5-10RM?
Assistance 1 (optional - leg press 20 repper)
Assistance 2 (leg curls)
Abs (same)

Upper body 2
DB incline bench - RP
DB strict row - RP
Lat Pulldowns/Pullover/Chins-RP
DB press - RP
Tris on smith - RP
Preacher curls - RP

My questions would be:

IMO I think you are going to run into trouble doing heavy squats+front squats on day 1 lower and then heavy sumo deads and front squats on day 2 lower AS WELL as T-bar rows and barbell rows on the upper days. That is a LOT of lower back work and I just wouldn't risk it if I were you.

I also saw a bit of redundancy in there with your lifts. I didn't get why you'd do the DB flat after flat 5rm benching. Sure, DB will actually hit your chest more, but if you get up to a 300x5 your chest isn't going to be small anyways. :evillaugh:

I'd just focus on one exercise per muscle group for upper days, and split it as I've kinda done above where you have days focused for MAX STRENGTH lifting (5rm in flat bench, etc.) and then another day filled with RP work where you focus on strength in a higher rep range (probs 8-12)

I also think that doing all that PWO cardio AND cardio on off days is just way too much. You are lean as hell right now, probs 8-9. Think about it this way: What are you going to do when you have cut calories down quite a bit and still aren't lean enough yet on your next cut? With this plan you'd be doing cardio every day for 15-20 mins. You'd have to up that to 30-45 mins to get even leaner, which IMO is silly when you could just hold off on the cardio during your bulk or do cardio on your off days and then up it even more when it's NECESSARY to do so.

IMO 6lbs is just not a whole lot of weight for 9 whole months. You'd probably gain that and then some just with glycogen uptake and water gain with increased carbs. If you are going to do a bulk/cut cycle of roughly 9/3 months respectively, I say eat in a healthy surplus EVERY day and focus on getting stronger. Try and get up to 175-180 or so a LITTLE soft, and get your numbers up to a really solid level.

I think F=MA's journal called 'lifting journal pt 2' had him attempting a clean bulk after he dieted to 6%, but he ditched that plan as he found it was OCD and hindering his gains.

The whole lean gain route is good for SOME guys, but almost all the guys i've seen who advocate this approach (Alberto Nunez, most natty bodybuilders, etc.) have spent a GOOD DEAL of time being FAT AS FUCK and gained most of their size during that period of relative obesity. Some guys like Nunez think anything above .001 lbs of gain a week after a comp is ALL FATZ BRO!!!! I just don't think that's the case. You'd be limiting your gain significantly if you continue to be worried about being exceptionally lean.

I'd ditch the cardio for a bit (can keep it to moderate cardio for 15-25 mins or HIIT for short duration on off days if you like), up the calories to 2500 at first but then increase in increments of 500 when you see a stall, starting the increase on training days, mostly from carbs. Get a good amount of rest, so only train 4 days a week, and make sure you get a good amount of protein daily. I like 1.5g per lb of bodyweight, and won't stray from that (complete protein sources only).

Look at the link below:

see what I mean? He gained most of his size after a MASSIVE period of bulking. Not doing this whole 'mmk stayz 6% all year and gain .5 lbs in 10 months" bs that seems to be all the rage with natty bodybuilders these days.

chevelle2291
08-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Oh, and hit 225x10 and then 250x4 last leg day for front squats.

http://blogs.westword.com/showandtell/08%20come%20at%20me%20bro.jpg

Edit: That's with belt n wrist wraps.

Oh and solid bis/tris/delts. Jelly.

My arms suck. damnit.

K-R-M
08-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Just moved to a new city to start med school. Everything's been hectic. Diets been a bit off, I haven't slept much and have a bit of anxiety too. Place is pretty boring compared to Montreal but I'll adapt. I still got a pretty good session in yesterday. I might not update my journal as much this week, but everything should be back to normal once I get settled down.

Friday:
Box jumps
Dunno height, but was about chest level at 5'10". First time doing them, liked it.

Back Squats
Worked up to 275 x 1

Front squats
5 x 7 x 190lbs (PR)

Sumo deadlift
20 x 225lbs (had to stop due to huge headache, still had the strength to rep out more)

Abs (cable twists and ab to face)

PWO cardio - 45 min run

Saturday:

SHIT training. Upper body. did it in the morning, didn't sleep much, still had headache from the deadlifts, just maintained. I'll probably do a small deload/rest this week.

I'm now at a new gym. Every bar and weight is difference, my groove during lifts is completely different. Will have to adapt in the next few weeks. DBs feel much heavier but that might be the fatigue.

Oh, and hit 225x10 and then 250x4 last leg day for front squats.

Edit: That's with belt n wrist wraps.

Oh and solid bis/tris/delts. Jelly.

My arms suck. damnit.

lol that's some serious front squatting.

Look at the link below:

I agree with redundancy with some of my exercises. I've been slowly figuring out how to periodize my training to increase my lifts. My main rule is to keep my workouts under 1 hour. If I do that, I don't mind doing more exercises. What I often do is just cut sets on the barbell exercise. I love doing them because I find they're a great warm up for the rest of my workout, while the DB versions are what really help me make gains. In essence, I do less work of each, but more exercise.

For the lower back. Front squats and Sumo deadlifts don't stress my lower back at all basically. Front squats especially I've done with serious lower back injuries, they're my most therapeutic exercise. I've tried a very wide spectrum of volume for the lower back. I know how it feels when it's overtrained or overstressed, so I adjust according to how I feel. The back squats are what really stress my lower back. If I stay tight during rows, I'm fine and I often just switch them for cable or machine versions. Nothing in that training is set in stone, it varies according to different factors.

I won't ditch the cardio though. I'll probably do much less than what I wrote, but for me I found it's an essential part of training. It increases my work capacity significantly which makes me stronger in my workouts. I feel much healthier as well and it keeps me hungry. I remember reading f=ma's journal when he did that. I'm not going to try to stay at 7-9%, but what I learned was I can time my calories for week to week strength gains/PRs. I also know that overreating does fuck all for me except extra fat gain, my gains come from getting PRs and keeping good form. That'll be the focus, so the calories and macros will be variable. Staying lean is a big focus however. Getting fat as fuck is counterproductive imo. And if I cut next year to 7% and I'm 6-8lbs heavier... that's a big gain for a natural.

chevelle2291
09-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Update dude.

K-R-M
09-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Still training hard, but I've been very busy with med school, having a new place, in a new town, new friends...

K-R-M
09-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Been having some really good sessions this week.

I have some tests this friday, then I'm updating my journal with objectives and my plan for the semester and first draft for the year. My training is set in stone right now and everything's been progressing very, very well.

K-R-M
09-12-2011, 10:18 PM
I have a few logs from the last two weeks, but I'll only post today's workout.

I decided on my objectives for the next semester. Looking really forward to doing them!

Next two weeks: continue cut, go to overdrive with well selected supplements, diet and 7 times cardio per week (between 5 and 8kms of running every day).

Supplement regime: 2 weeks Cuts+thermonex+D aspartic+vit D. Add ephedrine soon.

Third week: if satisfied with cut (about 6-7%), do a quick fake contest prep (obviuosly not at 3-4%), if not, continue regimen. During this week: oxylite pro (jacked+yohimbine) and maybe cafeeine. Take week off of lower body PRs.

2 weeks following: diet break, return slowly to normal calories: no pigging out.

Next few months: "off-season", gain mass, maybe do a powerlifting meet or two. My mass gain objectives: 5lbs of real muscle per year for 4 years. That's 20lbs of real mass in 4 years and pretty much Alberto Nunez' muscularity. Won't get too high in bodyfat %, it simply doesn't work for me and my metabolism was made to stay lean and gain mass when I'm lean (my best gains are always when I'm lean).

For today's workout:

Took a SHITLOAD of stimulants today. I think I'll keep doing this + ephedrine + beta alanine + creatine everytime I want to demolish PRs. My energy levels were freaking sick. All the ingredients I used I studied through my pharmacology books + research reviews. Caffeeine (about 800mg), synephrine, green tea, guarna (cafeeine), forskolin and alpha lipoic acid. The effect was awesome.

Morning weight: 145lbs, cut as fuck right now. Double bicep vein, quad vascularity, ab vascularity, oblique vascularity, hamstring showing, glute definition, the works.

Back Squats:
warm up
3 x 225
1 x 255
1 x 275
5 x 285 (easy as fuck)

Front squats:
3 x 9 x 175 (easy as fuck)

45 deg back raise with DB in front of face:
3 x 12 x 100lbs (easy as fuck)

45 deg side bend:
3 x 5 x 75lbs (not so easy lol)

Ab crunch on GHR with DB behind head:
21 RP 25lbs (felt hard on lower back, will go down in weight)

6.2km run after.

On a personal note, I love med school. I pretty much found my passion in life, I'm a really happy person usually, but now my level of happiness I think would be hard to match on the planet lol.

K-R-M
09-13-2011, 09:57 PM
I like this update pic :clown:.

My goal
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTt-ExaujYG1fRsF4sCpgFf-gY8LHDGSnfRUBH4mKcUU44DuaYl2XcwFaD4oQ

A pic of mine from 10 minutes ago. I have the same face and muscle bellies almost. I think in 4-5 years, I'll look a lot like him, but natural and less massive. Outside Antoine Vaillant, I haven't seen anyone more conditionned the gym in weeks. I think I'm 7.5-8.5% right now. Can't see my legs but they're my strongest bodypart.

I think I built a really good base going forward for the next few years. Mass gains should be much, much easier. Stopping the 4000-5000 calorie diet was the best decision I ever took. It's done nothing for me. I've had 3 main muscle growth/strength spurts and they were all on moderate to low calories, twice while cutting.

K-R-M
09-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Last little post on the last two weeks of my diet.

I've been partying pretty hard and we've had a lot of social events. Lots of hotdogs, chips and alcohol mainly.

I had one evening BBQ where I ate 3 beef burgers, 6 hot dogs, half of a large bag of Lay's, 4 McD's junior chickens and 5 beers in 3 hours. Drank alcohol about every 2 days, and had some days where I ate a whole bag of these babies on top of my diet:
http://skyrisefoods.com/store/pc/catalog/Chips/Quaker%20Crispy%20Minis%20Rice%20Cakes%20%20-%20Savory%20Tomato%20and%20Basil%20(14%20cakes).gif

I dropped weight. Gained strength in the gym.

So fuck clean eating. Learn the science, learn your body. I'm a fat burning furnace who can keep/gain muscle and strength through a hard deficit (2000 calories a day). I gain slow, but steady (about 5lbs or so a year, haven't been training that long though), cardio makes me better at the gym/life and I have a periodization plan that will work until it doesn't. Looking forward to the rest of this year!

bloodybob
09-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Lookin' real cut up in that pic, man.
Nice.

bloodybob
09-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Also glad to hear you're so happy AND confident about your training.
Great to see!

chevelle2291
09-13-2011, 10:41 PM
That Stoitsov pic is awesome. Resemblance is pretty similar. :)

You're looking lean as fuck bro. I still think you are making a mistake with not upping your calories more, but to each his own. I will say that Nunez gets outmassed at most all his shows. He win based on his conditioning, not his size.

Not saying you have to be in a major surplus, but I think it's silly to not be in a surplus at all times during a gaining phase.

Also, he gained most of his size in his earlier years by getting soft and moving a fuckton of weight around in the gym.

I implore you to take a look at what some of the natty guys are saying in this thread. Near the bottom one natty competitor talks about staying too lean in the offseason.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=340779971

BTW, front squats 250x8 and 275x3. :)

K-R-M
09-13-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm going to be in a surplus...

chevelle2291
09-14-2011, 12:35 AM
I'm going to be in a surplus...

I mean a daily surplus. Your prior posts led me to believe that you were going to be doing a ton of cardio and maybe be cycling calories to a deficit on off days. I'm unsure how many calories you'll be over maintenance, but I would think 500 over at a minimum.

I'm not saying you need to get fat as fuck, but AFAIK you haven't been training very long and I think you'd be selling yourself short on muscle gain by only trying to gain 5lbs of muscle this upcoming year, when you could really be gaining 8-10 with a higher surplus if you haven't been training a long time.

The thing that bothers me about Nunez and some of the 3DMJ guys is that they seem very afraid to get any sort of soft in the offseason, which I think hurts their gains. The most impressive size gain I've seen was in Layne Norton, who really became an elite natty after taking some time off and getting a bit soft and really just focusing on throwing around slag iron. Fucker blew up.

I also think it's a bit misleading for Berto to preach staying lean when he gained the majority of his size getting what I consider to be obese. This is what Prof X at Tbagnation refers to as the selective memory of successful bodybuilders, in which they forgot how soft they were when they gained most of their size.

chevelle2291
09-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Oh, and yes clean eating is a joke. I regularly incorporate McDonald's into my macros. Result is some indigestion and bloating, that's it.

Do you talk to Antoine V in the gym? What're his workouts like? Does he lift like a pussy?

K-R-M
09-14-2011, 08:48 AM
I mean a daily surplus. Your prior posts led me to believe that you were going to be doing a ton of cardio and maybe be cycling calories to a deficit on off days. I'm unsure how many calories you'll be over maintenance, but I would think 500 over at a minimum.

I'm not saying you need to get fat as fuck, but AFAIK you haven't been training very long and I think you'd be selling yourself short on muscle gain by only trying to gain 5lbs of muscle this upcoming year, when you could really be gaining 8-10 with a higher surplus if you haven't been training a long time.

The thing that bothers me about Nunez and some of the 3DMJ guys is that they seem very afraid to get any sort of soft in the offseason, which I think hurts their gains. The most impressive size gain I've seen was in Layne Norton, who really became an elite natty after taking some time off and getting a bit soft and really just focusing on throwing around slag iron. Fucker blew up.

I also think it's a bit misleading for Berto to preach staying lean when he gained the majority of his size getting what I consider to be obese. This is what Prof X at Tbagnation refers to as the selective memory of successful bodybuilders, in which they forgot how soft they were when they gained most of their size.

First, I'm going to enjoy the fruits of my labor so to speak. But I think I can give you more examples of people who stayed lean (obviously not as lean as I am right now) throughout than guys who blew up to a ridiculous size in a relatively short amount of time. I'm talking people I know in real life, not a random collection of internet people from vastly different backgrounds. Yes, the fastest way to gain is to probably gain a shitload of fat for 2 years and I wouldn't mind doing that if I was 18-20, but I'm not and gaining that amount of fat would make me miserable. If I want to get that big, that quick, I'm ever at a point where I want to get that big, I'm just going to buy gear since I have no intentions of ever competing.

I'll also add that knowing how the body works helps putting things into perspective. As a natural, you have a limited rate of protein synthesis, which is variable on an individual basis, so eating a large surplus makes no sense at all. If there's one correlation I've found amongst people, it's the muscle mass to strength ratio. Generally, people around a certain mass, at a certain height and bodyfat % have very slight differences in strength. Strength is the adaptation that allows muscle growth, so that's what I'll use as a means to track progress. I'm in this for a 30 year journey+ and I always give myself objectives that are much lower than what I can do. So 5lbs for this year and the next 3 is attainable and realistic.

Thanks for the comments and advice though, trust me, I listen and incorporate changes. And fuck those front squats lol.

Oh, and yes clean eating is a joke. I regularly incorporate McDonald's into my macros. Result is some indigestion and bloating, that's it.

Do you talk to Antoine V in the gym? What're his workouts like? Does he lift like a pussy?

I changed gyms since I moved to another city. But he's a nice guy, his workouts aren't anything special, but he lifts heavy as fuck (he's naturally strong) and has perfect form. He trains alone mostly though. I really wonder what someone like DC could do with him, probably make him an olympia winner hehe.

K-R-M
10-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Little update: all my lifts are up. BW is a little higher, but I've been getting comments from people around me. My 4 month recomp has been insanely productive.

Thing is, haven't been able to diet. I do so much school work and training that I blow by my 2000 calories by 6pm and add in another 500-1000. Going to leave the dieting on the side for a few month. Will continue eating according to needs. I got 100 bars of Labrada Lean body protein bars for 50 cent each, so I got a pretty big calorie stock.

Latest notables:
145lbs bodyweight at about 7-8%
295 x 5 squat
195 x 5 bench
205 x 5 front squat, no belt
310 x 5 sumo deadlift, paused, no belt, after squats
80lbs x 12 DB bench
85lbs x 8 dips
25rep wide grip pulls ups full ROM
170 x 5 incline bench, after 3 x 5 x 160lbs

Everything looking real, real good.

K-R-M
10-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Here are the results of the recomp

K-R-M
12-04-2011, 04:18 AM
Wanted to add a little update since it's been a while.

A little after my last post, I had my first med school exams and went down south (Cuba). Came back sick so I missed a few weeks of solid training. That said, I changed my routine up and focused on gaining mass and strength.

I actually wanted to try something very different. So what I did was I took the program which gave me the most gains (Smolov base meso for front squats) and for the other three days of the week, I decided to do upper body work (one push, one pull). So my workouts last about 20-35 mins, but I do them 7 days a week.

The results have been insane. I finally accomplished one of my long time training goals, which was to rep out 100lbs dumbells on the flat DB bench. I did 100lbs x 5 today @ 150lbs - with no help starting the first rep (gained 5lbs of mass, arms, shoulders, back and legs look even better right now). Every lift has gone up quite a bit. I've taken breaks every 4th week from lower body work to rest up.

I'm going to milk my gains right now until I stall or get too fat. Then I'm going to cut back down to 6-7% and go from there again.

chevelle2291
12-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Killing it KRM. I got the 100s up for 5 at my old gym the past week, but I weigh about 15 lbs more than you. :(.

Could you map out what your training looks like in terms of exercises on the push/pull/days?

K-R-M
12-04-2011, 11:34 PM
DB bench + DB rows
DB press + Weighted pull ups
BB bench + chest supported rows

Takes me no time to go through my workouts.

chevelle2291
12-04-2011, 11:36 PM
Sheesh. Whats the volume like.

I would love access to a chest supported row machine.

in 4 update shots.

Coke
12-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Good luck with med school, props on facing scholastic challenges and being dynamic in regards to your career. You have been no slouch with your physique either, should be well pleased in the direction you are going with the extreme lean/muscular look.

Impressed with your 2nd hungarian rhapsody vid, did not know you we had such a great pianist on board. I have always been appreciative of Liszt's great works.

K-R-M
01-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks Coke. Been working hard in all aspects of my life, definitely paying off everything is amazing right now.

My progress has been phenomenal as well the last few months, even with a few ups and downs (weekly binge drinking, big exams, massive binge eatings, massive week of drinking and eating in Cuba). Haven't had time to really plan things out, but I did best I could considering the circumstances.

I think you'll be really happy chevelle, I'm looking aesthetic as fuck right now lol. 150lbs wet, but great mass + strength gains for 3 months. Realy gains, none of that fat shit. Took the pic at night, so a bit bloated, look quite a bit leaner in the morning. Will post legs and back eventually, but both looking bigger, better and thicker than last pics.

My program is short in time, but hard as fuck. Trying a bench cycle to see if I can get the bench up, but will return to Dumbells as the physique progress I had doing them has been the best yet for my upper body. For me, deadlifts, DBs, front squats and curls have done everything, just need to find the right tricep exercise.

chevelle2291
01-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Traps are looking huge. Delts+tris look good too. Delt dominant presser?

How's the squat/dead goin?

chevelle2291
01-11-2012, 11:13 PM
are you doing skulls or pjr pullovers?

K-R-M
01-12-2012, 08:30 AM
are you doing skulls or pjr pullovers?
Nope, going to add them. Any extension kill my elbows.

Traps are looking huge. Delts+tris look good too. Delt dominant presser?

How's the squat/dead goin?

Was always a tri dominant Presser, but DBs changed that. Front squat and dead both going up. I'm a horrible Sumo deadlifter (30-50lbs lighter than my conventional), but I repped 315 and now doing over 5 reps at 225lbs on the front squat. Deep, no belt.

K-R-M
01-20-2012, 07:05 PM
0L0q_nBDt20

:clown:

Smolov week 2, 7 sets of 5 @ 225lbs, 3rd set.

K-R-M
01-21-2012, 11:56 PM
Progress, fuck yeah.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30517&stc=1&d=1327215338

I wonder how I would look at 200lbs, this being 148lbs.

chevelle2291
01-22-2012, 01:10 AM
thick.solid.tight.

miring squatting leverages.

K-R-M
01-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Update, finished another Smolov Base Meso.

Vid of 225lbs x 10 reps @ 150lbs (though I think it's less, will see tommorow morning)

91zIOyeaV-4

Then, did the following:
245lbs x 1
255lbs x 1
265lbs x 1
275lbs x 1 (30lbs PR)

30lbs on my front squat in 1 month. LOL. I love this program.

Coke
01-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Looking great, good job with the front squats.

K-R-M
02-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks Coke, but I've gotten into some inflammation problems on my left knee lately during my deload week. Hope it heals quickly but there doesn't seem to be any major damage, probably some minor bruising on my ligaments.

chevelle2291
02-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks Coke, but I've gotten into some inflammation problems on my left knee lately during my deload week. Hope it heals quickly but there doesn't seem to be any major damage, probably some minor bruising on my ligaments.

TK knee sleeves...

K-R-M
02-25-2012, 04:41 PM
So I researched a bit on my knee problem and I was right, it was just inflammation. I took the necessary precautions and even going forward with another Smolov cycle, I successfully healed it. I love being a med student :cool:.

I also finished another Smolov cycle. Did 10 x 3 x 255lbs on front squats today. Was heavy as fuck, but I did it and I'm going for a 290-300lbs front squat this week, which is pretty good for my weight. Goal was 315lbs for the summer, which I should get if everything goes well.

Exams are coming up in about 6-7 weeks, so I'm going to be taking some time off from the heavy lifting shit and going to maintain/cut weight for a while. Thinking of doing 3 months of Smolov/6 weeks off mainting or cutting from now on. Gains have been massive on this program.

chevelle2291
02-25-2012, 04:45 PM
300 would be huge dude.

290 tho would be gay. :p

K-R-M
02-25-2012, 04:46 PM
290 no belt, 300 w/ belt.

225lbs x 3 on the bench this week as well. At the end of my workout. The day after a squat day. Fuck yes. Gained 5lbs this month though. A bit bigger than my profile pic (will post).

chevelle2291
02-25-2012, 05:28 PM
290 no belt, 300 w/ belt.

225lbs x 3 on the bench this week as well. At the end of my workout. The day after a squat day. Fuck yes. Gained 5lbs this month though. A bit bigger than my profile pic (will post).

lol, what do you mean 'though?'

Weight gain is a good thing.

K-R-M
02-25-2012, 11:42 PM
lol, what do you mean 'though?'

Weight gain is a good thing.

I'm not complaining, but neither getting cut or gaining weight has ever been a problem. It's always been consistency since I've always either 1. travelled 2. worked as a concert pianist, then consultant 3. been involved in hard science programs (engineering and now med school) or a combination of all of these. Most of my training stretches have been either maintaining or regaining. Like the next 6-8 weeks.

I'm happy with the weight gain, but I just really wanted a 2xBW front squat. Overall strength is up a ton since september.

K-R-M
02-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Also, will play piano for the first time in 6 years in front of an audience this week. Crazy. Pretty nervous about that.

K-R-M
02-25-2012, 11:53 PM
Forgot to mention all my front squats/deads are without a belt.

K-R-M
02-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Did low volume today.

Front squats:
255 x 5
275 x 1 (EZ)
295 x 0

Deadlifts:
315 x 5 (nothing heavy for today)

Cable pulls

Missed the 295lbs on the front squat (no belt or wraps). The weight intimidated me, so I went in with a loser attitude. Should've went for the easy 285lbs. I'm taking it easy for 1 month (3 consecutive Smolov base mesos), so I'll maintain and shed the extra fat I gained. Will start gaining again in April depending on my exams.

Alex.V
03-01-2012, 12:42 PM
The weight intimidated me, so I went in with a loser attitude.

This is why you need to scare it back. Yell at it, slap it, throw chalk at it, growl lots.

Then, once everyone at the gym is staring at you, walk away and get a drink of water.

You'll never have to actually lift it. After three or four rounds of this, you will have terrified the weight into submission.

K-R-M
05-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Took a 2 month maintenance break. Still trained, but much less as I had a few bruises I needed to heal + med school had been pretty tough.

I'm doing orthopedics right now and it's been awesome. Too much time spent on arthritis though and not enough on functional anatomy but i figure I'll see more of that as an intern.

Even though I haven't pushed to envelopped lately, I still succeeded on some PRs.

Got 80lbs x 5 on seated DB presses, no help getting the DBs up.
130lbs x 10 with straps for DB rows.
Started sumo deadlifting, got 495lbs below the knees on the rack and got 345lbs no chalk or belt from the floor on either. Stopped at 345lbs as I thought I could injure my back with more. Pretty happy with that though since my sumos are usually about 50lbs lower than my conventionals. I'm guessing I'm probably around 400lbs+ on conventionals with belt at 150lbs.

My goals for the summer: 6% bf, heal the back, get my sumo up, strengthen my rotator cuff, get tricep strength up, build a base to start another 3 month smolov in september.
Long term goals: 1. Health 2. A solid program.

K-R-M
05-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Ok small update,

I've decided to stop noting my progress in a logbook for the summer, I'll just write significant milestones for a while. I go a lot more by feel. If I feel I can do a leg day after only 1 day of rest, I do it. If I feel I need a week off, I take it. I still go just as hard at the gym, but I feel that as far as programs go, outside of Smolov, this has been the best one I've tried.

I went for a leg day on saturday and returned for another one today. My goal was a bit of front squatting, some back squatting and some close grip lat pulldowns.

Did 225lbs x 20 on back squats, ass to grass, no belt. Felt real good since I started back squatting again only 2 weeks ago. Don't have any goals really, If I succeed at something, I try to add lbs or reps the next time.