PDA

View Full Version : total caloric intake

SweetP
05-22-2002, 04:20 PM
Why am I not losing weight or body fat even though my total calorie intake is much less than the number of calories I burn in one day? If I'm burning more than I'm consuming shouldn't I be seeing some results :confused:

SweetP
05-22-2002, 07:00 PM
alrighty then

CBates
05-22-2002, 07:09 PM
How do you know you're burning more calories than consuming? Also, how long have you been dieting?

Shao-LiN
05-22-2002, 08:17 PM
I weight just about the same as I did a month ago, but my body fat has gone down quite a bit...while my muscle mass has grown.

Assuming you are doing a good workout routine, you could be gaining some muscle mass and still burning fat.

Be easier to judge if you post your weight, what you are eating presently (calorie wise) and your activity level throughout the day.

SweetP
05-22-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by CBates
How do you know you're burning more calories than consuming?

Well, I burn about 2,440 calories a day. I eat anywhere from <1000 to 1700 or so, maybe 2000. It all depends on the day... and ya it's not all "healthy"...but it's not complete **** either. And I don't have any specific foods....... I eat different foods everyday.
("that's your problem")- ya I've heard it time and again..... I don't understand why a person can't eat a variety of foods each day in moderation, remian healthy, and still lose weight...body fat. For most people I think following a very strict diet is a recipe for disaster. Most people don't have the discipline to follow that and they'll just end up yo-yoing back and forth between diets their whole life. Becoming depressed, frustrated, and unhappy with the way they look and feel.

I'm starting to get sick of this whole thing and it's annoying me to no end. ahhh food can go to hell.

SweetP
05-22-2002, 08:33 PM
and.......... gaining 6 lbs in one month while running the whole time? I don't see how that's possible.

CBates
05-22-2002, 08:40 PM
Not doubting you, but just curious where you got that number of calories being burned per day from.

SweetP
05-22-2002, 08:53 PM
I went to GNC and had it calculated

CBates
05-22-2002, 08:58 PM
Well, the next thing I would do is check the food sources. Even when I eat within my maintenance level, if I tend to take in 'junk' food, my fast loss comes to a halt, and sometimes I even gain a little fat. Also vice versa, if I all clean, I can eat over my maintenance level and still be able to shed a little fat.

Clark
05-22-2002, 10:21 PM
ya, if you're eating under 2000 cals, but you're getting too much sat. fat or hydrogenated fat there's no way you're gonna lose fat

Vido
05-22-2002, 10:41 PM
Sweet P why would you want to lose weight? Fat I understand, but weight? If it's not fat you are losing then it is water or muscle, neither of which you really want to lose IMO.
Now that that is cleared up, on to the next problem. You're trying to lose fat, but don't have the dedication to eat clean. I can't say anything other than that is POOR. If you can't be dedicated to your own body then what can you dedicate yourself to? If you stick to lean protein, complex carbs (instead of the simple high glycemic carbs you probably do eat), and healthy fats and are actually in such a caloric deficit, the fat (and weight) should melt right off of you.

Vido
05-22-2002, 10:44 PM
The bottom line is this: All cals are not equal. If you want to lose weight, eat clean.

MarshallPenn
05-22-2002, 10:47 PM
Can you guys saying cals are not equal, not gonna lose fat eating fat, etc. tell me where you're getting this info from. You can eat a low cal diet of pure fat and you will lose fat.

Tiare
05-22-2002, 10:55 PM
Are you doing cardio as well as your resistance workouts and are you eating a number of small meals or just 1 or 2 big ones? More meals in a day and cardio will both increase your metabolic rate through the day.

When I say cardio, I mean hard cardio getting your heart rate up into 60-70% of VoX for at least 20 minutes (VoX is roughly 220-your age). Unless you're in ketosis, don't take your heart rate up there in keto because you'll definitely burn lots of hard earned muscle then.

CBates
05-22-2002, 10:56 PM
Well, when I'm saying cal are not equal, try a diet eating 2000 calories of tuna, oatmeal, olive oil, flaxseed oil and then try eating a diet of 2000 calories of sugar, candy, ice cream, donuts. Way too many insulin spikes, which will help promote fat storage. Now, the people saying stay away from sat fat because it will make you fat, I'm not sure where he's getting his info from.

Clark
05-22-2002, 11:11 PM
i was just trying to say that sat fat will cause the high cholesterol and clogged arteries that will screw you in the long run

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-23-2002, 06:16 AM
SweetP, how long have you been dieting for?

How much weight have you lost so far?

What do you currently weigh?

Tiare
05-23-2002, 08:10 AM
Another note SweetP: If you didn't lift for a long time (read: you have lost significant muscle mass) and you start up again, you'll get rapid gains of water and lean mass in your muscles for about 4 weeks. Enough that it might offset your fat loss.

SweetP
05-23-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Tiare
Are you doing cardio as well as your resistance workouts and are you eating a number of small meals or just 1 or 2 big ones? More meals in a day and cardio will both increase your metabolic rate through the day.

All I've been doing since March is cardio.... 5 days a week.
And I've gained 6 lbs since that time.

I gained 10 lbs last year during weight class.135-145 I lost 5 during the summer. 140 and after I started running for soccer I gained 6 more lbs. So now I weigh 146.

Fudomyo
05-23-2002, 11:49 AM
You have to remember that you just do not burn the same number of calories a day.

After a few million years of starving to death, your body has learned to slow down in response to less food. If you have ever tried dropping like 1000 cals a day you know what I am talking about. You are tired. You actually are not hungry. Your Thyroid has told all your cells, slow down, we are in lean times.

That is why some people that eat more, lose more weight. Their body hasn't slowed down, so they are at a calorie defecit. You might eat less, but you are no longer at a colorie deficit.

Most people suggest dropping 250 a week. When you stop losing weight, cycle your diet.

Personally I can eat my maintenance cals for a few days, and go right back on my -500 cal diet.

Vido
05-23-2002, 12:03 PM
500 cal diet!!!!!!!!!!! Are you a bodybuilder or a starving Ethiopian child??? I have nothing to say about that. I'm completely speechless. All I can say is Sweet P, please don't take that advice.
Cycling cals is fine, but there is never a need to drop cals that much, especially if you are working out or doing cardio.
500 cals...unless you weigh 125 lbs and are eating purely protein then you are not even getting a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. There's no way you won't lose muscle on a diet like that.

SweetP
05-23-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Fudomyo
If you have ever tried dropping like 1000 cals a day you know what I am talking about. You are tired. You actually are not hungry. Your Thyroid has told all your cells, slow down, we are in lean times.

ok....how do I reverse this? Just start dropping the calories more slowly?

ElPietro
05-23-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by SweetP

ok....how do I reverse this? Just start dropping the calories more slowly?

Eat small meals more frequently...space your meals every 2-3 hours.

Weight training is also very good...try writing down every single thing you eat for a week and then add up all the cals and what you weighed at the beginning of the week and what you weighed at the end of the week.

www.fitday.com is an excellent tool to keep track of your food intake and calories...try to keep your meals a combination of protein/carbs, or protein/fat, but try to avoid where possible the carb/fat combo.

Go through many of the threads in the Diet forum...you can go back quite a ways and read a great deal of good information. There are many knowledgeable people on this board and we've discussed a great deal of dieting methods so perhaps you will find something suitable to you there...

MRJ
05-23-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro

Eat small meals more frequently...space your meals every 2-3 hours.

Weight training is also very good...try writing down every single thing you eat for a week and then add up all the cals and what you weighed at the beginning of the week and what you weighed at the end of the week.

www.fitday.com is an excellent tool to keep track of your food intake and calories...try to keep your meals a combination of protein/carbs, or protein/fat, but try to avoid where possible the carb/fat combo.

Go through many of the threads in the Diet forum...you can go back quite a ways and read a great deal of good information. There are many knowledgeable people on this board and we've discussed a great deal of dieting methods so perhaps you will find something suitable to you there...

Good advice, but I don't think he has the dedication to get the job done. Seems like someone is looking for results w/o the work required to gain such results.

"Precision" is a requirement, not an option.

I've been cutting for about 15 weeks now, went from 220 (3900 cals.) to 195 (2400 cals.) and want to get down to 190. I've decreased 100 cals. or p/week, count every gram and have the results to show for all the dedication, hard work and sacrifices.

There is no "easy" path, you either want it and work hard to get it or you don't.

Sorry, for the harsh response, but I get sick of people bitching about no results when they aren't showing the dedication to gain it.

Tryska
05-23-2002, 07:01 PM
eat more and eat consistently, and make sure it's good clean food.

you shouldn't be eating less than 1500 cals a day, and more like 2000, considering the level of activity.