PDA

View Full Version : salt/sodium - what are its negatives?

frageraj
05-22-2002, 04:30 PM
A friend of mine at the gym told me that too much salt/sodium in your diet creates fat. This was news too me. I always new that excess salt could lead ot higher blood pressure, but I've never heard a lot about its effects on fat. Could anyone shed some light onto this. thanks.

NateDogg
05-22-2002, 05:08 PM
It does not create fat. It may cause water retention, and thus bloating, but it will not make you fat. Someone please correct me if I am incorrect here.

ND

Mik
05-22-2002, 05:36 PM
My understanding is the same Nate.

Jane
05-22-2002, 06:54 PM
Its not so much high levels of sodium that cause bloating, but changes in sodium levels. If you keep relatively low sodium intake and suddenly jump to high, you will bloat. Likewise, if your body is used to a moderately high intake, a sudden drop in sodium will cause bloating.

Does anyone know if there is an "optimum" sodium intake?

Vido
05-24-2002, 08:15 AM
I've never heard of sodium having any effect on bloating. However, I do know that it makes you soft and that is why pro bodybuilders eliminate it when getting ready for a show.

NateDogg
05-24-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Vido
I've never heard of sodium having any effect on bloating. However, I do know that it makes you soft and that is why pro bodybuilders eliminate it when getting ready for a show.

What do you think "makes you soft" means, if not water retention or bloating?

Short N Buff
05-26-2002, 02:05 AM
haha. true sodium does not make u fat. u hear the myth a lot in ignorant ppl or infomericals. sodium does increasee weight cuz of water retention, but i dont' think thats anything new. maybe those ignorant ppl think weight=fat.

nejar462
05-26-2002, 11:39 AM
you need to salt to grow, i think

Reinier
05-26-2002, 12:30 PM
duh cause you need it to live

Clark
05-26-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Jane
Its not so much high levels of sodium that cause bloating, but changes in sodium levels. If you keep relatively low sodium intake and suddenly jump to high, you will bloat. Likewise, if your body is used to a moderately high intake, a sudden drop in sodium will cause bloating.

Does anyone know if there is an "optimum" sodium intake?

I believe between 500 and 1000 mg is optimal

Budiak
05-27-2002, 03:02 AM
I'll just keep eating higher levels then. I notice that when I take in moderate levels of sodium, my water retention is at a minimum, but if I go low sodium for a few days, I get pretty bloated. Regardless of how much water I drink.