PDA

View Full Version : cooking in oil

geordie1986
06-05-2011, 12:48 PM
When cooking I often fry food with olive oil, do people count the calories of this towards there total? Obviously you may not be able to guarantee how much of the oil absorbs into the food so is the amount eligible so theres no point in counting it? Sorry if this seems trivial but but not sure what people do.

Rugby Dad
06-07-2011, 04:11 PM
When cooking I often fry food with olive oil, do people count the calories of this towards there total? Obviously you may not be able to guarantee how much of the oil absorbs into the food so is the amount eligible so theres no point in counting it? Sorry if this seems trivial but but not sure what people do.

Me thinks the word that you're after is neglible
I'n no expert on counting calories, but i've heard many times that frying with olive oil is bad, something about the heat that changes the oil's structure, and turns it into unhealthy oil for fitness.
if you can find it use instead Macadamia nut oil.

Behemoth
06-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Absolutely count the calories. Depending on what you're frying and how much oil you put in the pan it could be a lot of calories you're not accounting for.

You somewhat have to guestimate how much of the oil you're actually consuming. In the case of stir frying veggies there's always some left in the pan and some that will run of the veggies on your plate that you won't consume. So just make an educated guess on what portion of the total amount you didn't consume and subtract it.

GazzyG
06-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Not sure how accurate it is, but Fitday lets you select whether you've cooked in oil or not and changes the calories appropriately.

Alex.V
06-09-2011, 01:01 PM

Really depends what you're cooking. Cooking a steak in oil, for example, actually adds very little. Cooking anything breaded... adds quite a bit. What sorts of foods are you referring to?

geordie1986
06-09-2011, 02:39 PM
ok thanks guys, thought may be best to estimate it but just seems a bit tricky especialy depending on what your frying. But belial its normaly just chicken or vegetables that im frying, and occasionaly steak so good to hear that dont add too much.

Mercuryblade
06-09-2011, 03:42 PM
This is why I boil all my meat.

Cards
06-09-2011, 05:55 PM

Other than poultry, thats disgusting.

Tell me you at least grill your meats?

mchicia1
06-10-2011, 08:08 AM
What do you recommend to cook your steak/chicken in on the stove? I have been using extra virgin olive oil but I just read that this is a big no-no, so I am looking for an alternative.

mwhities
06-10-2011, 08:46 AM

I'm curious too. Do you boil steaks? I can understand some of the other meats but, not that.

Alex.V
06-12-2011, 12:08 PM
You guys sound so surprised. Don't knock it till you've tried it. There's nothing finer than marinating a fine grass fed filet mignon overnight in a red wine reduction with garlic, then covering it with cracked black pepper and sea salt... then tossing it in a pot of water.

Delectable.

Cards
06-12-2011, 08:39 PM
You guys sound so surprised. Don't knock it till you've tried it. There's nothing finer than marinating a fine grass fed filet mignon overnight in a red wine reduction with garlic, then covering it with cracked black pepper and sea salt... then tossing it in a pot of water.

Delectable.

I don't know if you're being serious or not. If you are, I'll give it a shot because I hate cooking my steak in a frying pan.

Wouldn't the pepper and salt just boil off?

EDIT: Wouldn't that shit be well done?

Alex.V
06-13-2011, 11:35 AM
I don't know if you're being serious or not. If you are, I'll give it a shot because I hate cooking my steak in a frying pan.

Wouldn't the pepper and salt just boil off?

EDIT: Wouldn't that shit be well done?

Normally I'd kind of wait to see how this would turn out, but I would hate to see a nice filet go to waste. No, I was definitely not being serious!

Unless you were boiling it in olive oil. mmmm.