PDA

View Full Version : blood pressure and numbers

synonymous
06-08-2011, 08:15 PM
I took my blood pressure on the electric machine at the gym right before my workout and a couple of minutes after as well. I went from 120ish over 80ish to 96 over 58. Is this what most of you guys see, if you check. I'm curious as to how the body manages to regulate the pressure well enough to leep us from falling over...but I've also heard the term "squat till ya puke!" And wonder if this is a blood pressure issue and how healthy is can be? Off to wiki and pubmed

Dan Fanelli
06-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Ya, just do some research on those sites for this. I dont think that many people test there BP before and right after, and Im not sure that would even tell you anythying without some medical direction.

Your BP is meant to range quite a bit though in normal conditions. If I remember correctly, BP = Cardiac output x Peripheral resistance (or something like that) Cardiac output is basically composed of heart rate and stroke volume. Peripheral resistance is just what it sounds to be.

When you exercise, you want your cardiac output to increase to match the demands of the work you are performing. Ideally, your peripheral resistance will increase (vasodilation) to compensate for this. This is why warming up is recommended.

Other than this, if you have high blood pressure, you may want to consider avoiding the vasalva manuever (basically holding your breath while flexing your "core")

If you have high blood pressure, or are concerned with this, you'd probably want to ask you doctor what precautions you need to take if any.

Sean S
06-09-2011, 08:02 AM
The reason your blood pressure dropped after exercise was due to vasodilation from the muscle contractions in your workout. Local factors produced with muscle contractions will trigger vasodilation to increase blood flow to the working muscle. Increasing the vessel size in a closed system will decrease the overall pressure in the system. If your workout involved a large muscle mass, it could certainly lead to drops in systemic blood pressure. During the actual exercise or lifting itself, your blood pressure would rise due to the muscle contractions compressing the vessels. Between sets or after exercise the vasodilation is still present for a while, but the intense muscle contractions have stopped so your BP will drop.
If you want a better indicator of your overall BP you should take some resting measures with something more reliable than a machine at the gym.