PDA

View Full Version : maintain my bench without benching?

MISTER
06-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Let me start by saying that I don't post much, but I was part of the hct training group last year. I made some excellent gains. After that i trained sporadically until october of last year. i decided to race in a tough mudder event in april and started training for that in november. My training for the race was limited to dips, chins/pull ups, push ups and running. i managed to lose about 25lbs. in that time frame as well. 3 weeks ago i decided to go to the gym and resume lifting and to my amazement i was able to bench the same amount of weight (315) and reps (3) that i did 7 months ago and 25 lbs. lighter, with zero lifting. I just felt the need to post this because it goes against everything that i have learned in my 10 or so years of lifting. Any comments on why/how this happened.?

kingns
06-09-2011, 01:27 PM
The only way I could imagine this happening is 1. You were in bad shape before and the training helped you all over 2. You did enough upper body work with dips chins pushups to get stronger. But to loose 25lbs and keep your bench even WHILE training it would be hard, so you must have really improved somewhere. I'm guessing its your GPP and over all strength

LanceGoyke
06-09-2011, 07:11 PM
It sounds like you got rid of a lot of relatively useless weight (read: fat) while maintaining great general physical preparedness.

MISTER
06-10-2011, 07:25 AM
I can't wrap my mind around this. I know my upper back was weak, which this probably helped it. also maybe because i reached that level with relatively inconsistent training?

4g64fiero
06-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Ehhh it really doesnt go against much dogma on this board. Alot of people here believe in forms of conjugate training and you mentioned dips. Dips are a great chest exercise. Between dips and push ups I am sure you could maintain while simultaneously increasing your work capacity for volume.

On top of that, your lats are a huge part of your bench. I am sure you bench with completely different mechanics now. I know this because I have had plateaus on bench that couldnt be past without my rows and pullups progresssing.

Congrats on your weight loss and new perspective!

LanceGoyke
06-10-2011, 11:48 AM
I can't wrap my mind around this. I know my upper back was weak, which this probably helped it. also maybe because i reached that level with relatively inconsistent training?

I think upper back would definitely help you, but more importantly the inconsistency is a really good point.

ironwill727
06-10-2011, 03:10 PM
That is actually pretty awesome. My bench dropped 50lbs from when I got back from bootcamp and other training. So over 6 months of not benching. If you were able to maintain by losing 25lbs and no benching imagine where you can do by benching again and adding muscle.