PDA

View Full Version : Lat Work

kingns
06-09-2011, 09:05 PM
When do you do lat work and what do you do for it?
I hear how important the lats are for all three lifts over and over again and find its the hardest one to fit in.

I find I dont wanna do lat work on my bench day and tire myself for my lower body stuff, and on my SQ/DL days find myself focusing more on my lower body than my back. Any suggestions and ideas would be great.

I workout Mon- DE Bench
Tue- ME Sq/DL
THu- ME Bench
Fri- DE SQ/DL

I always worry doing my lats the day before the lower body days will tire me. Ive done lats on an extra day (saturday) but that isnt always possible to add the fifth workout. Since it could be done on any of the workouts I find it hard to pick any one. Thanks for the advice

Travis Bell
06-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Do them on your bench days

NickAus
06-09-2011, 09:38 PM
No matter where you do upper back (Travis knows what he's talking about) you must do it.

All good powerlifters have a thick back.

I love the saying "a strong man has a strong back and a weak man has a weak back".

vdizenzo
06-10-2011, 05:53 AM
Too many guys neglect their back work. Think of how much pressing you do v pulling exercises. It's important. For a full meet guy, you should train back on bench days just like Trav said. If your back is really lagging, you can do it before your supplemental work, if not then at least make it your first assistance work.

ScottYard
06-10-2011, 03:05 PM
I have a seperate day just for lats and upper back work. Take it as seriously as your me bench work. Its equally important

ironwill727
06-10-2011, 03:07 PM
I find that I get my best results when I do two back exercises (1 vertical and 1 horizontal) on my upper days or if I have a seperate back day. I have tried to do it on DL day and I find it ineffective.

Ferrous Lifter
06-11-2011, 01:05 AM
No matter where you do upper back (Travis knows what he's talking about) you must do it.

Thats what I was thinking

Generally, your upper back should be sore on a consistent basis…or your doing something wrong.

Sensei
06-11-2011, 01:20 AM
It's probably pretty hard to find a good presser that doesn't have solid upper back strength. That won't just happen... A lot of rows (barbell, dumbbell, chest-supported, one-arm, cable, etc.), and a lot of pull/chin-ups. IMO, including a lot of bent-over laterals is a good idea too (though it's not "lat work").

amonroe
06-11-2011, 08:55 AM
I have a 3 day routine and only do one targeted lat exercise...wide grip pulldowns...I find it's enough and that it also helps me with my overall muscle building goals...by the way, on the day I do it, its my starting exercise.

byronsru24
06-11-2011, 10:55 AM
I have a 3 day routine and only do one targeted lat exercise...wide grip pulldowns...I find it's enough and that it also helps me with my overall muscle building goals...by the way, on the day I do it, its my starting exercise.

You train 3x per week, yet only do 1 exercise for one of the biggest and most important muscles of the body?

Brian C
06-11-2011, 02:09 PM
I have a seperate day just for lats and upper back work. Take it as seriously as your me bench work. Its equally important

This. If you dont want to do it on bench day, if you can Id say to add a seperate day, say Saturday , to hit your back.

Dank27
06-25-2011, 10:54 PM
I have a dedicated upper back day.
Usually consists of barbell and dumbell rows, Lat pulls (wide and narrow) coupled with various hammer strength rows.
I try and switch it up every couple of weeks.

mastermonster
06-26-2011, 12:04 PM

Pretty much this. I train 3 days per week. Each day committed to one of the 3 comp lifts. Friday is deadlift day. I don't always deadlift but it is always back work. At least one type of pulldown, row, and lower back move along with some bicep and ab work. You can't neglect a primary mover on any exercise and be at your maximum strength level. That being said, doing them on bench day would make sense if you prefer since lats are a primary mover for the BP too. Bottom line is; hit them hard on one of those days.

Dank27
06-26-2011, 01:12 PM
As my technique gets better. Ivam seeing more and more the value of concentrated lat work. Hit them hard and hit them often

ZAR-FIT
06-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Try lat pull downs and the Seated Chest supported Horizontal row machine. These dont put much strain on the lower back so that you can somewhat spare the lower back for the Sq/DL days.