PDA

View Full Version : Currently cutting but havent lost weight in two weeks. What shall I do?

4g64fiero
06-13-2011, 02:29 PM
I have been cutting the first week of april. I used to weigh 235lbs but now I am down to 218 lbs. I have been shooting for roughly 2400 calories a day with ~220 grams of protein. Carbs and fats normally end up being around ~120g,

Well, I was losing about 1.5 lbs a week after the initial water loss but I havent lost any weight the last two weeks. I was wondering if I should just cut the calories to around 1900- 2100 to see if I can bust through this plateau?

Ideas? I feel like I am waisting time by doing nothing.

JJD975
06-13-2011, 02:38 PM
If you have been stuck for a couple weeks I would adjust the calories as you mentioned and go with that. At some point you had to hit a wall to where 2400 calories would no longer result in weight loss.

JT111
06-13-2011, 02:40 PM
I have been cutting the first week of april. I used to weigh 235lbs but now I am down to 218 lbs. I have been shooting for roughly 2400 calories a day with ~220 grams of protein. Carbs and fats normally end up being around ~120g,

Well, I was losing about 1.5 lbs a week after the initial water loss but I havent lost any weight the last two weeks. I was wondering if I should just cut the calories to around 1900- 2100 to see if I can bust through this plateau?

Ideas? I feel like I am waisting time by doing nothing.

how about adding in a little cardio? if your not already doing so? Intervals help me shift weight even if im not cutting cals by much.

4g64fiero
06-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I am already doing cardio. :(

I do tabatas and play basketball twice a week (our games are agressive and last an hour) but I think I am going to start doing some sprints, fartleks, and maybe even a 5 mile run once a week.

Behemoth
06-13-2011, 02:53 PM
How often do you weigh yourself. This is why I advocate weighing daily first thing in the morning. Fluctuations are so broad and normal that if you weigh just once or twice per week you may hit on high days that make it appear as if you're gaining weight when really you're losing. Or vice versa.

If you're going to gauge progress by weight loss, you pretty much have to watch it closely and analyze it from afar. Meaning weigh frequently but realize none of the weigh-ins themselves necessarily mean shit, it's all about the trend.

4g64fiero
06-13-2011, 03:03 PM
I weigh myself everyday and my lowest day is always mondays after we play basket ball. The only thing I can think of that could be screwing the results is that I at a cup of pasta last night with my chicken and I think I am bloated from that. I dont typically eat pasta.

I'm gonna go measure my waist size, but I dont think there will measurable results from last week.

4g64fiero
06-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Still the same waist size. I dont measure anything else sooooo.....

I think going any lower than 2400 calories is too low at the moment. I am trying to figure out what the hell is happening. Some people can cut with more at less weight.....but I read some of unholy's posts and he says his maintenence was 2700 cals at 255lbs. I guess I should lower the calories.

ZAR-FIT
06-13-2011, 04:54 PM
If your schedule allows it, and you have the Time to do so I would personally keep your calories up and add 30-45 of cardio on the days you dont play basketball or do tabata... I think if you add a 2-3 days of steady state moderate stair climber, 45 minutes, you'll notice your weight to drop again. Dropping your calories too low will kill your strength, which will eventually lead to muscle loss. Keep the calories where they are so you can still get a good lift and provide enough nutrients to your body, but adding in 2-3 days of 45 minutes sessions on the step mill will take out an extra around 1500-2000calories a week.

4g64fiero
06-13-2011, 07:21 PM
More cardio it is then!

4g64fiero
06-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Well I got the flu and lost 3 lbs. Another week of training/diet lost.

I did some thinking. I had not considered all the labor I was doing around the house on the weekends like pulling sod/moving pavers, building a shed. I bet thats alot of extra calories burned so I didnt need the extra cardio. Now that I have stopped doing that stuff for the time being, I have adjusted my calories until my runner's knee lets me do some SS cardio again.

Mark!
06-17-2011, 07:32 PM
When I hit a wall like that, I usually cut calories for a week, or increase cardio quite a bit for the week and see results. But since you're saying you were doing all kinds of stuff around the house, then it stopped at around the same time the weight loss stopped...it's a decent bet that the two are related.

4g64fiero
07-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Aww man, I went from 221 to 209lbs in four days. I lost a full inch off my waist but didnt lose too much strenght, just a rep or so but I am confident that will come back even in a caloric deficit.

Its been a few weeks and I have been lifting. My weight only went back up to 211lbs. I know I am hydrated because I was connected to an IV for a while. I drink a gallon of water a day....

That sucked hard. 103+degree fever for nearly a week. I am still coughing up stuff 3 weeks later.

Well, that being said, I cant eat less than 2500 calories right now without feeling like I am starving at sea.

What a way to get past a plateau.

Eric Cartman
07-15-2011, 11:12 PM
This same thing happened to me... got stuck and unable to lose more weight.. then got sick and lost 10 lbs..

Wish there was a healthy way to do that instead!

chevelle2291
07-16-2011, 12:52 AM
This same thing happened to me... got stuck and unable to lose more weight.. then got sick and lost 10 lbs..

Wish there was a healthy way to do that instead!

carb cycling/refeeds.

Behemoth
07-16-2011, 09:06 AM
carb cycling/refeeds.

...are not at all like being sick and not eating.

4g64fiero
07-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Down to 207 now from 235. Cant wait to post some pics when I get to around 195. I have yet to carb cycle but honestly, there isnt alot of room when 800+calories of my diet are protein and I only eat 2.2k calories a day. Well there is, but not enough for me to cycle IMHO.

Behemoth
07-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Down to 207 now from 235. Cant wait to post some pics when I get to around 195. I have yet to carb cycle but honestly, there isnt alot of room when 800+calories of my diet are protein and I only eat 2.2k calories a day. Well there is, but not enough for me to cycle IMHO.

The point of carb cycling is so that calories are cycled, meaning you make dips into lower and sometimes higher intakes. Cycling carbs with a static daily intake would be mostly pointless.

Off Road
07-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Cycling carbs with a static daily intake would be mostly pointless.
I know Shelby and Steve's's Macrotation diet keeps calories fairly stable throughout the week and rotates the different macros. It gives higher carbs on workout days and higher protein and fat on recovery days.

4g64fiero
07-16-2011, 03:22 PM
I know Shelby and Steve's's Macrotation diet keeps calories fairly stable throughout the week and rotates the different macros. It gives higher carbs on workout days and higher protein and fat on recovery days.

I like it. I like it alot. I am going to try this when things get harder.

Behemoth
07-16-2011, 03:32 PM

I knew that was going to get scrutinized as soon as I wrote it. My experience and time being coached in carb cycling was to drop me into deeper deficits and then a greater surplus to keep leptin and metabolism up.

Do I think carb cycling has a place in a diet with a static intake? Yes, but the benefits really aren't going to materialize over the course of a typical 12-16 week diet. I'm not saying there is no benefit (hence why I italicized mostly in my first post), but my point is for someone looking for an extra little weapon they're probably going to need to cycle their calories through carbs, not just reorganize the composition of their intake.

In reality, I don't even like to advocate carb cycling by way of calorie cycling, let alone carb cycling with a static intake for "dieting" purposes. In most instances a consistent deficit is easier and more applicable. Though, at a certain level making dips and bumps into your energy by way of carb manipulation starts to make a little more sense.

Where carb cycling with a static intake makes sense is for the overall picture. If it's a tactic you believe in and want to employ it should probably be something used long term and year round, not for just a few weeks as a magic trick to knock off the last 5 or 10lbs. Because that's not what tossing around macros is, and you're really not going to see anything (other than maybe a little water) come from swapping out 200 calories from carbs for 200 calories for fat a few days of the week over a few weeks.

4g64fiero
07-16-2011, 03:40 PM
I knew that was going to get scrutinized as soon as I wrote it. My experience and time being coached in carb cycling was to drop me into deeper deficits and then a greater surplus to keep leptin and metabolism up.

Do I think carb cycling has a place in a diet with a static intake? Yes, but the benefits really aren't going to materialize over the course of a typical 12-16 week diet. I'm not saying there is no benefit (hence why I italicized mostly in my first post), but my point is for someone looking for an extra little weapon they're probably going to need to cycle their calories through carbs, not just reorganize the composition of their intake.

In reality, I don't even like to advocate carb cycling by way of calorie cycling, let alone carb cycling with a static intake for "dieting" purposes. In most instances a consistent deficit is easier and more applicable. Though, at a certain level making dips and bumps into your energy by way of carb manipulation starts to make a little more sense.

Where carb cycling with a static intake makes sense is for the overall picture. If it's a tactic you believe in and want to employ it should probably be something used long term and year round, not for just a few weeks as a magic trick to knock off the last 5 or 10lbs. Because that's not what tossing around macros is, and you're really not going to see anything come from swapping out 200 calories from carbs for 200 calories for fat a few days of the week over a few weeks.
I have been cutting for 5 months and have lost almost 30 lbs(I know its slow but I havent lost any strength. Should I start looking at cycling if I stall again since I have already added steady state cardio to my regular cardio ad weightlifting?

I might be hitting 15% bf right now, so I am sure you are going to say its still not necessary. I am inclined to agree. Simple has gotten me this far.

Behemoth
07-16-2011, 03:52 PM
I have been cutting for 5 months and have lost almost 30 lbs(I know its slow but I havent lost any strength. Should I start looking at cycling if I stall again since I have already added steady state cardio to my regular cardio ad weightlifting?

I might be hitting 15% bf right now, so I am sure you are going to say its still not necessary. I am inclined to agree. Simple has gotten me this far.

My opinion would simply be if it's still working keep going with it. If it's not working it may become more practical. A lot of times people think they're "stalled" but really dieting is almost never linear. That's probably the one most important thing I've learned about diet is to never read into it too much. Everything could be perfect and you may appear stalled, then one day wake up and see two weeks worth of fatloss overnight. Or vice versa.

To me the first step in cycling is refeeds, not making dips. They're not very necessary when you're fatter but when you get to a certain point they definitely have to be employed. 15% is in my experience right around that point.

This is just my personal advice, and other may differ. But my suggestion at 15% for someone who is believed to be "stalled" would be to incorporate refeeds if you haven't already. If you have then either stay patient or maybe start looking at cycling calories lower, or adding in some cardio. I go greatly by instinct but my experience is I probably refeed once every 10-14 days at 15% on a moderate carb diet. When I get to below 8% I'm probably refeeding every 6 days maybe sooner.

4g64fiero
07-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks alot Behemoth. I feel like I should pay for advice like that.

Off Road
07-16-2011, 04:12 PM
I knew that was going to get scrutinized as soon as I wrote it.I wasn't scutinizing, just interested in your opinion.

Where carb cycling with a static intake makes sense is for the overall picture. If it's a tactic you believe in and want to employ it should probably be something used long term and year round, not for just a few weeks as a magic trick to knock off the last 5 or 10lbs.This last part makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Behemoth
07-16-2011, 04:27 PM
This last part makes perfect sense. Thanks.

I probably should have just said something along those lines in my initial post, that was what I meant by carb cycling with a static intake being mostly pointless [for his situation].

chevelle2291
07-16-2011, 11:35 PM
...are not at all like being sick and not eating.

Was meant more of a response to his 'wishing' of a way to drop through plateaus healthily.