PDA

View Full Version : Overkill

J Stottlemire
06-14-2011, 01:47 PM
I have heard a ton of good things, was wondering if anyone had any advice or pointers in particular for breaking in or use of a Overkill, I have ordered a straight double ply im hoping to use effectively in Nov. Thanks fellas,

theBarzeen
06-16-2011, 02:01 PM
I've used three different Overkill Designs now and I like the stock 2-ply best..... I'll be getting a new one soon ( outgrew old one)..

The biggest thing is mental, it'll feel like a lot of gear but you can work it, even though it will come in pretty tight.... call Debbie Damminga and get some sleeve slippers, look up a product called "tri-glide" it's a wetsuit lubricant used by triathletes.... it's a bit much for regular use, but it'll help a lot for the first few weeks.

I like using reps to boards to help break in shirts ( Rudy will recommend the same thing).... so you'd do doubles with the first rep to a 4-board and the second to a 3-board. You need to use some speed to get the shirt to touch. Then go 3-board and 2-board until you are ready to try to touch ( took me four workouts)....

Keep the collar all the way up when you try to touch, but don't be afraid to jack it down when you are working to boards as that will help to stretch the shirt....

Good luck!

J Stottlemire
06-16-2011, 04:37 PM
I've used three different Overkill Designs now and I like the stock 2-ply best..... I'll be getting a new one soon ( outgrew old one)..

The biggest thing is mental, it'll feel like a lot of gear but you can work it, even though it will come in pretty tight.... call Debbie Damminga and get some sleeve slippers, look up a product called "tri-glide" it's a wetsuit lubricant used by triathletes.... it's a bit much for regular use, but it'll help a lot for the first few weeks.

I like using reps to boards to help break in shirts ( Rudy will recommend the same thing).... so you'd do doubles with the first rep to a 4-board and the second to a 3-board. You need to use some speed to get the shirt to touch. Then go 3-board and 2-board until you are ready to try to touch ( took me four workouts)....

Keep the collar all the way up when you try to touch, but don't be afraid to jack it down when you are working to boards as that will help to stretch the shirt....

Good luck!

Thanks bro that's exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for. I just hope it will be ok once I am a little heavier im about 213-215 right now and during a competition cycle I get close to 230, soon as I get it in I will be training in it at this lighter weight so hopefully it will work with me as I grow.

mike95763
06-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Barzeen,
Just curious, what happened with your triple ply? I'm trying to break in a newer triple ply myself and I can touch and press about the same in it as in my old double ply. Once I get to where I can touch a little quicker/easier I think I will be good for a fair bit more in the triple.

To the OP. I agree with Barzeen. Lots of heavy triples as low as you can go. I also had good luck with negatives (get some good spotters and put 50-100 lbs more than you can press on the bar then just try controlling the weight down). It seems like the shirt has a memory of touching, once you touch something it is much easier to touch a second time.

J Stottlemire
06-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Again great feedback I appreciate it fellas

NickAus
06-17-2011, 04:43 AM
It is great gear!!

It comes fucking tight, so tell him you want it loose (training fit not comp) or you will be in for weeks of being pissed off.

I had him take the briefs out as I could not get them on, he loosened them and sent them back and they are still super tight and take 20 mins of hard work to get on.

Again great gear.

J Stottlemire
06-17-2011, 06:17 AM
It is great gear!!

It comes fucking tight, so tell him you want it loose (training fit not comp) or you will be in for weeks of being pissed off.

I had him take the briefs out as I could not get them on, he loosened them and sent them back and they are still super tight and take 20 mins of hard work to get on.

Again great gear.

Thanks Nick I sent him a message letting him know maybe a training fit. I expect an additional 10-15 pounds and really want a shot to move into the 7 hundred pound club this year by best to date in Single ply is 633, hoping with the raw strength gains I have made and this year I will get there in November.

NickAus
06-17-2011, 08:34 AM
If your talking extra carryover of 15lb you are in for a treat..........you will get way more than that out of a 2 ply O/K over a single ply.

J Stottlemire
06-17-2011, 12:09 PM
No I meant 15 additonal pounds body weight, Hoping this shirt will push me into the 700 pounds plus bench mark with some time and work in it for November Nick.I wanna go 7 plus at 220.

theBarzeen
06-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Barzeen,
Just curious, what happened with your triple ply? I'm trying to break in a newer triple ply myself and I can touch and press about the same in it as in my old double ply. Once I get to where I can touch a little quicker/easier I think I will be good for a fair bit more in the triple.

The stretchy material we used for the 3-ply doesn't give as much pop off of the chest, but it touches easy and has good carry-over. I've just barely broken it in, and haven't tried a single rep with the collar pulled down at all. Everything has been done with the collar all the way up.

I gained 30 lbs for Seniors ( dumb, dumb, dumb) and my stock 2-ply from back when I was 280 did not fit me, even with the ratchet strap cranking on it. So I made the call to use the stretchy 3-ply at Seniors..... With the weight gain the shirt felt awesome. It definitely has to be worn really tight. I planned to open where I did with the 2-ply at state ( 650ish) then jack the collar for 700+. I opened at 650 and right as I pulled the weight in to touch my wrist made a loud ( and painful) POP... I was abut to call for the spotters to take it as I was worried about my wrist, but the judge called PRESS and I pressed..... the weight flew up, but I didn't continue in the bench because of the injury..... so it touches easy, has to be worn tight, but I have no idea how it'll work when it's jacked......

Dank27
06-25-2011, 11:26 PM
I just got my custom 2ply about a month ago and have 3 decent work outs in it. I made the switch from a 2ply rage x and could not be happier. The other guys are right. Loose fit is a bit better. Also when you finish the break in Rudy will do a tune up on it .

Ive been doing triples with 4/3/2/1 boards. Still struggling on 1 boards and havent touched yet with 575. I think that is more my form and not the shirt. Still learning the new groove. Good luck.

I have also been considering getting one of his deadlift suits in the near future. If anyone has used them let me know how you like it. Ever since I gained weight I have not done and suited deadlifting.

J Stottlemire
06-26-2011, 08:32 AM
[QUOTE=Dank27;2486125]I just got my custom 2ply about a month ago and have 3 decent work outs in it. I made the switch from a 2ply rage x and could not be happier. The other guys are right. Loose fit is a bit better. Also when you finish the break in Rudy will do a tune up on it .

Ive been doing triples with 4/3/2/1 boards. Still struggling on 1 boards and havent touched yet with 575. I think that is more my form and not the shirt. Still learning the new groove. Good luck.

I have also been considering getting one of his deadlift suits in the near future. If anyone has used them let me know how you like it. Ever since I gained weight I have not done and suited deadlifting.[/QUOTE

Thanks bro I am really looking forward to getting the shirt and getting it broke in, I hope it will grow with me as well, because I do wanna put on a few pounds, how long was your turnaround in ordering Dank27

Dank27
06-26-2011, 02:06 PM
[QUOTE=Dank27;2486125]I just got my custom 2ply about a month ago and have 3 decent work outs in it. I made the switch from a 2ply rage x and could not be happier. The other guys are right. Loose fit is a bit better. Also when you finish the break in Rudy will do a tune up on it .

I have also been considering getting one of his deadlift suits in the near future. If anyone has used them let me know how you like it. Ever since I gained weight I have not done and suited deadlifting.[/QUOTE

Thanks bro I am really looking forward to getting the shirt and getting it broke in, I hope it will grow with me as well, because I do wanna put on a few pounds, how long was your turnaround in ordering Dank27

Rudy says it's 3weeks. Mine was more like 7. It's worth the wait.

J Stottlemire
06-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks Dank27, I will be happy with something in the middle of those time periods for sure. I am so ready to start back in gear and learn this shirt.

theBarzeen
06-26-2011, 03:35 PM
I just got my custom 2ply about a month ago and have 3 decent work outs in it. I made the switch from a 2ply rage x and could not be happier. The other guys are right. Loose fit is a bit better. Also when you finish the break in Rudy will do a tune up on it .

I have also been considering getting one of his deadlift suits in the near future. If anyone has used them let me know how you like it. Ever since I gained weight I have not done and suited deadlifting.

Last year I tried pulling in my 3-ply briefs and singlet and had a terrible year of it..... this year I switched to a 2-ply deadlift suit ( also Overkill).... Rudy makes the deadlift suits with a different pattern than the squat suits so it's not too bad getting down to the bar.... My previous best in a meet was 625, 660 in the gym. Switching to the OK and going back to conventional got me over 700 in the gym and 683 in a meet...... Now I'm not saying that it's all in the suit. I've done a lot of work, I've been lucky to have the Lilliebridges to deadlift with ( hard not to pull better around that family)....... but I do like the suit. It's been harder to break in than the bench shirt though, and more sensitive to weight gain. The bench shirt I used at APF state at 320# was the same as the one I used at 2009 AWPC worlds at 280#.... but the DL suit was made when I was 310, and fit TIGHT. I broke it in with a few light squat workouts in it.... and would not fit at APF sr's this year at 335 bw.....

Dank27
06-26-2011, 08:10 PM
That's interesting. My weight fluctuates 20lbs at any given month. My max do used to be good for that. I am going to talk to Rudy about the adjustability of the poly suit. I was also considering one of his hybrid suits cut for conventional pulling. Hmm we will see

Dammsilly
06-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks Barzeen.

You can order Dammsilly Sleeve Slippers from my etsy shop:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/dammsilly

Rob Luyando
06-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Dammsilly Sleeve Slippers are a must if you ordered your shirt right it will be tight. I use Dammsilly Sleeve Slippers they are crazy looking and work awesome and the material lasts!

J Stottlemire
06-30-2011, 10:26 PM
I told him to leave me a little room to grow im 15 pounds lighter than I normally would be for contest prep, I am for sure going to order the slippers though

CrazyEyesPat
07-01-2011, 02:44 PM
how do you guys compare the ok canvas/poly hyrbrid to say the leviathan?

NickAus
07-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Hybrid is slightly thinner and has top third of front in poly.

Meant to be worn a little tighter than the inzer.

The side seems are poly webbing so the hybrid should last for a LONG time.

CrazyEyesPat
07-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Hybrid is slightly thinner and has top third of front in poly.

Meant to be worn a little tighter than the inzer.

The side seems are poly webbing so the hybrid should last for a LONG time.

thanks for the heads up