PDA

View Full Version : Hey fellow brothers (and maybe some sisters?) in iron...need just a few tips

usafbb
06-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Sup? Here's the deal (I did a search but my question(s) are pretty specific so there wasn't much...just so y'all don't think I'm lazy if this type of thread has been posted before)...
I'm a female body builder, for about a year and a half now, started off in figure, I've been working with an awesome pro coach for almost 3 years now. We've made amazing strides in just 1 1/2 years- I went from a 115 lb figure girl to now being 165 lbs (I'm tall though-5'8) and I'm not sure what body fat- we're not anywhere near getting ready for a competition so I'm doing no cardio, diet is good but I'm pretty lax with it, I never seem to gain fat, it would appear I'm hovering ( my body does that- stays at the same weight for a long time, losing fat but at the same time gaining some LBM) for the past 4 months...
Anyways even though I'm being sculpted at an amazing rate I'd like to throw in some Oly/Power moves into my work outs. I've discussed this with my coach, he is amenable to it, however those lifts are not his area of expertise. It's not impossible that at some point I may want to do some powerlifting competitions...
Unfortunately I live in a very small town, and I'm pretty much the only active female body builder (there are 2 who are retired) and it's highly unlikely anyone at my gym knows much about Oly moves.
Here's what I'd like to do- keep adding to my lat spread which is going awesome, pack on some size in my delts (they lag), but above all really get some more size to my quads and hams but especially quads. They've got a great shape to them, when they're ripped they'll rock, but they need more size first. There's already definition in them, just a very weak "flair" and mass. Hams are ok but could use some size.
I'm posting this because a number of people now have mentioned they throw in power moves to gain some mass in their body building and that I should too.

So those are my goals, anyone here (any woman maybe? all these forums are so male dominated) know which moves would be best to incorporate and
-which DVD's and/or books would be best to purchase for SOME form of proper instruction.

I have been involved in extreme athletics for 11 years, and I'm certified to functionally train sports specifically, I know all the basic Oly/Power moves, the clean, clean and jerk, I already regularly squat (no front squats though) bench, dead, rack dead. But I definitely lack the "details" and "finer points" of Oly lifts.
So- hope this made sense. I tend to stay off forums because they can become very hostile very quickly, despite forum rules that all agreed upon when registering. So please, if anything in this message seems "dumb" to you, or you don't agree with, please, PLEASE find a kind and mature and considerate way to say that. I'm open to all new information.

Dan Fanelli
06-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Ummmm? I was going to say something sarcastic until I read your last few lines. Honestly, if you already know all the oly/power mOves and have experience I'm not sure what you are asking. And you have a coath as well.

Normally, if someone didn't know the olympic moves or even if they did, people will recommend against it for physique goals. There are usually safer and more effective variations to choose from. Ex: if you want a big upped back, full cleans are an option, but all the hang versions, pulls, shrugs and deadlifts would be better.

And really without knowing your specific needs and experience it would be tough for anyone to give any worthwhile advice. If you have mainly been training higher reps and haven't made much progress in load lately, then working on some "powerlifting" or "powerbuilding" stuff might be in order.

But really, you and your coach should be able to figure this out. Or with more specifics, we may be able to direct you. Sorry for the honest response, but I think you'll figure this out.

Iplan
06-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Welcome to the forum! I'd recommend lunges to get your quads popping..... seems to work a bit better for me when I couple them w/ squats.

Ummmm? Honestly, if you already know all the oly/power mOves and have experience I'm not sure what you are asking. And you have a coath as well.

/\ This

There are some girls on this forum,
"Built"
"muscle chic"
"Donnajo"

etc., perhaps they could help you a bit more specifically.

Additional thought: Have you read "Starting Strength?" It does a pretty good job explaining the oly lifts.

usafbb
06-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Ummmm? I was going to say something sarcastic until I read your last few lines. Honestly, if you already know all the oly/power mOves and have experience I'm not sure what you are asking. And you have a coath as well.

Normally, if someone didn't know the olympic moves or even if they did, people will recommend against it for physique goals. There are usually safer and more effective variations to choose from. Ex: if you want a big upped back, full cleans are an option, but all the hang versions, pulls, shrugs and deadlifts would be better.

And really without knowing your specific needs and experience it would be tough for anyone to give any worthwhile advice. If you have mainly been training higher reps and haven't made much progress in load lately, then working on some "powerlifting" or "powerbuilding" stuff might be in order.

But really, you and your coach should be able to figure this out. Or with more specifics, we may be able to direct you. Sorry for the honest response, but I think you'll figure this out.
Thanks for this response and for avoiding being sarcastic. There's no need for it even if you think the poster is posting something lame/without direction/lacking knowledge, etc.
Ok so you mentioned "safer" options like full cleans. I have never incorporated those. I was asking for some kind of source that shows proper form of things like that, that are being recommended, either in a book or DVD. I have no clue what a "hang version" is for a full clean. This is why I posted. Why I ventured out onto the internet to glean information when so often women like me just get verbally abused or bullied.
I said I was familiar with cleans and cleans and jerks, dead lifts, squats, rack deads, benching...sounds like there's a lot more in powerlifting I DON'T know about or have experience with.
When you say "pulls" could you specify?
Trust me I'm doing lots of googling and youtubing but on youtube everyone does things differently I can't get a sense of what's TRULY proper form, and google, well, gives you tons of sites that are barely active.
Also- my coach's systems use power and heavy weeks. So I'm getting a good amount of heavy load bearing in. Strength is definitely not a problem for me, and I AM getting growth, etc. Just wanted to see if there was any way to improve this process. Isn't that what physique building is about?
Again, thanks

usafbb
06-15-2011, 08:12 AM
Hi! Thanks for being welcoming and super friendly! I really appreciate that. The women on this forum, are they very active? I mean do they post a lot/check in frequently? I could PM them, that might save not only forum space but also help me avoid men who want to respond in a not so gentlemanly fashion.
Lunges for sure. I think we're going to incorporate those more often, especially since I just changed gyms and the new one doesn't have a hack squat! I was pissed about that!
Ok great, a book reference- "starting strength" I will check that out right now!
I'm well versed in all things body building. I see Oly/Powerlifting as it's own "nation" or country, and body building as it's own nation or country, BUT we share a border! I think we can help each other out.
My first coach was originally a competitive female bb, then added in Oly lifting with a professional coach in that, she does both. Body building and competes at a very high level in Oly lifting.

Welcome to the forum! I'd recommend lunges to get your quads popping..... seems to work a bit better for me when I couple them w/ squats.

/\ This

There are some girls on this forum,
"Built"
"muscle chic"
"Donnajo"

etc., perhaps they could help you a bit more specifically.

Additional thought: Have you read "Starting Strength?" It does a pretty good job explaining the oly lifts.

Dan Fanelli
06-15-2011, 08:37 AM
At the moment, I can't think of any good sources to let you know all about Oly/power lifting. I'll find something later though. My concern is that with Oly lifting these lifts are highly technical and without a good coach and frequent practice, they are going to be more trouble than they are worth. You already have experience with squat, bench, and deadlift I assume. Doing these PL style sometimes will be a much easier switch and much more beneficial IMHO.

Hang versions of Oly lifts start from the fully standing position, while the full positions start from the floor. Also, power versions you don't squat low when you catch the weight. Pulls are basically cleans without finishing the movement. A highpull is a clean but you don't catch the weight. A clean pull is basically the beginning of a clean, but then you just shrug the weight.

Which brings me to my next point. Usually for bb'ing purposes if someone is going to use Oly lifting, it's for upper back and traps. And usually females are not looking for this. Again there are other advantages to Oly lifting, but they can be had better by other methods.

I'll look up some sources for you and give you more thorough explanations later. For now, look on the net about those different exercise variations and also the form powerlifters use.

usafbb
06-15-2011, 08:54 AM
At the moment, I can't think of any good sources to let you know all about Oly/power lifting. I'll find something later though. My concern is that with Oly lifting these lifts are highly technical and without a good coach and frequent practice, they are going to be more trouble than they are worth. You already have experience with squat, bench, and deadlift I assume. Doing these PL style sometimes will be a much easier switch and much more beneficial IMHO.

Hang versions of Oly lifts start from the fully standing position, while the full positions start from the floor. Also, power versions you don't squat low when you catch the weight. Pulls are basically cleans without finishing the movement. A highpull is a clean but you don't catch the weight. A clean pull is basically the beginning of a clean, but then you just shrug the weight.

Which brings me to my next point. Usually for bb'ing purposes if someone is going to use Oly lifting, it's for upper back and traps. And usually females are not looking for this. Again there are other advantages to Oly lifting, but they can be had better by other methods.

I'll look up some sources for you and give you more thorough explanations later. For now, look on the net about those different exercise variations and also the form powerlifters use.
This reply actually gives me a lot of info, things I've never heard of. I think MY biggest misconception is that Olympic lifting and Powerlifting are basically the same. It would appear that's incorrect. So, I'm needing to utilize Powelifting movements, which sound easier and less complicated than Olympic lifting methods.
Upper back is actually very sought after by fbb's- the V taper/X frame is very key.
I REALLY appreciate you looking up sources. I know that takes time, and doing it as a favor for a stranger is very kind.
I'm starting to "get" what I should and shouldn't be doing. (I'm truly a fast learner).
This is really interesting stuff, regardless of my own personal competitive goals. I love studying anything that has to do with kinesiology/physiology and the mechanics of the human body. The science behind so many different methods of training the human body is staggering.
BTW at age 27 it would appear you've learned much. I'm (cough) 31.
Also hey, I know lots of guys around your age, online and off. No problem with wanting to reply with sarcasm initially I'm really used to it lol

usafbb
06-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Ok I'm getting a sense of what moves might be most beneficial in a Powerlifting format- presses, cleans, improving my squat to that of a PL stance, improving my deadlift (I could DEFINITELY use improvements on my squats and deads. I go pretty heavy for a woman, well for anyone, my squats depending on what week we're on (reps, sets) I can get up to 250 lbs on my squat, but I can't ever seem to get higher. Also my deads never improve. I'm stuck at between (again depending on reps and sets that week) 150 lbs and 200. That's pretty pathetic. Ain't nothing like a deadlift to build just about everything. I think we can all agree on that. And improving my bench to a PL format as well. I can bench over 200 lbs for quite a few reps easily, but of course, I'd love to increase that.

Off Road
06-15-2011, 10:00 AM
You seem to be expecting sarcasm. I think you'll find WBB to be a little different than other forums on the web in that regaurd. For the most part, everybody in the powerlifting forum is respectful and helpful.

usafbb
06-15-2011, 11:06 AM
You seem to be expecting sarcasm. I think you'll find WBB to be a little different than other forums on the web in that regaurd. For the most part, everybody in the powerlifting forum is respectful and helpful.
Thank you sir! Yes, I have been burned many, many times on many, many forums. Just hateful, spiteful people who feel safe being horrid behind a computer screen but probably wouldn't have the nerve to be so hateful in person.
I'm just realllllly careful these days. Words are powerful, whether written or spoken.
Like anyone else, I just want to learn!
Thank you!

Brian C
06-15-2011, 02:16 PM
WBB is THE ONLY forum on the net to follow. Best info and everyone helps with what they can. That other crap isnt tolerated here and is what seperates WBB from everyone else. On that, welcome!:) Im not sure of any females here in your instance, but if your on facebook, id suggest friending Kate Baird. Shes a BBer and trains offseason witha lot of pl/ oly moves. Strong woman for sure. Pm on there and maybe she can guide you on the right path. GL

usafbb
06-15-2011, 02:25 PM
WBB is THE ONLY forum on the net to follow. Best info and everyone helps with what they can. That other crap isnt tolerated here and is what seperates WBB from everyone else. On that, welcome!:) Im not sure of any females here in your instance, but if your on facebook, id suggest friending Kate Baird. Shes a BBer and trains offseason witha lot of pl/ oly moves. Strong woman for sure. Pm on there and maybe she can guide you on the right path. GL
This is SO helpful thank you! This is why I think GOOD forums are so essential. Getting info real time from real people. I'll go check her out right now. I'll just tell her Brian C from WBB sent me! Thanks!

ps-just friend requested her and sent a message- she's got a lot of friends! certainly looks like she knows what she's doing in her pictures! Thanks again!

StLRPh
06-15-2011, 02:56 PM
I just skimmed the previous posts and if you're still interested in info on OLY lifts then this is probably one of the best resources you get:
http://www.amazon.com/Olympic-Weightlifting-Complete-Athletes-Coaches/dp/0980011116/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308171273&sr=8-1

Also, search Glenn Pendlay and check out his articles/videos for more info.

usafbb
06-15-2011, 03:55 PM
I just skimmed the previous posts and if you're still interested in info on OLY lifts then this is probably one of the best resources you get:
http://www.amazon.com/Olympic-Weightlifting-Complete-Athletes-Coaches/dp/0980011116/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308171273&sr=8-1

Also, search Glenn Pendlay and check out his articles/videos for more info.
Again, super helpful I thank you so much. Wow, so far you guys really are civilized! Your mama's didn't raise y'all in a barn! Anything anyone wants to contribute please do this is so helpful. THANKS!

4g64fiero
06-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Quad size? Upper back thickness? What else but front squats?

I know you said you havent done them, but its going to be hard to specifically target lagging quads without putting some weight across your knee caps.

This is useless advice though unless we know what your routine is :( .

Dan Fanelli
06-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Im gonna echo what the others have said in the past few posts. And a lot of my iitial recommendations might still hold, but my only concern would be WHY you want to make these changes. Im not saying there is anything wrong with your intentions, but if you have clear goals and reasoning to justify your choices then you'll be much better off.

From your posts, this is what I got:

1)You are a bb'er, but may at some time want to compete in some strength oriented sport (oly/powerlifting).
2)You've been training for bodybuilding, but strength is not neglected in your program.
3)Squat and bench seem to be fairly well developed, and your deadlift might be lagging.
4)Youve heard that adding "power moves" is good for adding mass
5)You want to work on lat spread, shouders, and mainly quads.

Does that sound right for the most part?

Ok, assuming all of that is true, I wouldn't even mess with the Olympic weightlifting moves unless you either:

a)plan on competing in weightlifting (snatch, clean and jerk) in the future
b)you want to focus on developing your traps/upper back.

And as for powerlifting, my line of reasoning would be very similar, except "training like a powerlifter" could be much similar to a bodybuilder. The big difference there would be that the technique and form powerlifters use is generally different than what bodybuilders use. EX: PL squat is more hamstring/glutes than a bb'ing squat, and PL bench is more triceps/shoulders and less chest. Also powerlifters are training for 1RM strength, while bodybuilders are not..

But you could still start learning the technique on these lifts and use it to improve your strength and blast through plateaus. LOOK INTO THE CONJUGATE METHOD. This could be a big help to you..

Thats the long story of it.... Here's the short one.

Quads: Try front squats
Lats: Pullups and deadlifts
Shoulders: Shoulder press / Push press / more laterals

I think sometimes people get too caught up in saying "I train like a bodybuilder" , "or train like a powerlifter". If your goals are a bit vague, you can train like both. The similarities are greater than the differences.

Hope this helps.

Sensei
06-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Glen Pendlay's dvd "Olympic Weightlifting Techniques" is very good.

Iplan
06-16-2011, 05:31 AM
"The women on this forum, are they very active? I mean do they post a lot/check in frequently?"

I think "Built" is a regular. She even came up w/ a specialized back routine (called "Baby Got Back") that more than a few people in the body building side of the forum have used: http://www.wannabebig.com/training/bodybuilding/baby-got-back/

usafbb
06-16-2011, 06:46 AM
"The women on this forum, are they very active? I mean do they post a lot/check in frequently?"

I think "Built" is a regular. She even came up w/ a specialized back routine (called "Baby Got Back") that more than a few people in the body building side of the forum have used: http://www.wannabebig.com/training/bodybuilding/baby-got-back/

LOL I like her already! I'm a fan of that song...Sir Mixalot...I've got bubble booty so it's kinda my theme song. I will check this thread out thanks so much! And I'll shoot her a pm.

usafbb
06-16-2011, 07:30 AM
Very nicely organized reply, thank you. I will return in kind, keeping it organized, and answer any ?'s as well as let you know what I've found out, etc.

Im gonna echo what the others have said in the past few posts. And a lot of my iitial recommendations might still hold, but my only concern would be WHY you want to make these changes( As to the why- have you seen/been familiar with recent top competitive female body builders? If you look at their frames/physiques, and what wins, you will see that areas of concern to me are essential to build. You'd also need to see pics of me so that you could see the areas I'm "lacking" (although let me stress, great progress. But I don't think anyone on this forum or any other who competes in any sport will tell you they are satisfied with what they've got, they are always trying to improve. I'm looking for a new method to throw in there to see how my body responds. So that's my justification). Im not saying there is anything wrong with your intentions, but if you have clear goals and reasoning to justify your choices then you'll be much better off.

From your posts, this is what I got:

1)You are a bb'er, but may at some time want to compete in some strength oriented sport (oly/powerlifting).(Yes, but not for awhile. In my Internet forays yesterday (allll day, when I research, it's my butt is glued to the seat and I ain't moving til I got my answers, or at least a path to an answer) I found that Olympic lifting is it's own beast, literally! It is VERY detailed, has a very long history, requires that you should have a professional coach, and requires your full attention if you wish to do it properly. A Strongwoman competition would likely be my avenue in the future.)
2)You've been training for bodybuilding, but strength is not neglected in your program(This is correct. I am naturally just strong- I come from a long line of athletes, our forebear being the first Olympic Chairman in the US who also competed in the Games. It's just in our blood. I enjoy increasing my strength. I get frustrated if I reach a plateau or get stuck- hence PL in addition for that purpose as well, not just for physique development).
3)Squat and bench seem to be fairly well developed, and your deadlift might be lagging(Let me clarify on this- my squat and bench could DEFINITELY improve by a lot. As it is, they don't SUCK, but again, constant improvement is the name of the game. For sure my squat and for SURE my deadlift could really improve).
4)Youve heard that adding "power moves" is good for adding mass (yes, from both men and women who compete in body building and incorporate PL into their routines. Quite a number of them actually. As aforementioned, I do a lot of research)
5)You want to work on lat spread, shouders, and mainly quads(I think all these parts in equal improvement, hams too. But the body is not made up of parts it is made up of a whole that works together if you're training properly. "spot" training (isolating certain parts in BB for the sake of aesthetics) has it's place but the best physiques focus on the body as a whole).

Does that sound right for the most part?

Ok, assuming all of that is true, I wouldn't even mess with the Olympic weightlifting moves unless you either: (YES!!!!! As I said above, I'm not touching Olympic moves with a 50 foot pole! I am definitely going to stick to PL movements. Oly lifting is just way too involved and I read/heard that it differs in some ways among men and women, so you need a coach who can train women too)

a)plan on competing in weightlifting (snatch, clean and jerk) in the future
b)you want to focus on developing your traps/upper back.

And as for powerlifting, my line of reasoning would be very similar, except "training like a powerlifter" could be much similar to a bodybuilder. The big difference there would be that the technique and form powerlifters use is generally different than what bodybuilders use. EX: PL squat is more hamstring/glutes than a bb'ing squat, and PL bench is more triceps/shoulders and less chest. Also powerlifters are training for 1RM strength, while bodybuilders are not..(Again, yes, I found this out in my reading/questioning all over the net. I do know quite a bit about human physiology/kinesiology to know that even a change in stance/angle/grip, etc can make a big difference in how a muscle group is worked. So there are the basic PL moves that BB's use too, just different stances, etc and emphasis, there are a few PL moves that are used more frequently than BB's use as well.)

But you could still start learning the technique on these lifts and use it to improve your strength and blast through plateaus(This is, in essence, definitely what I am looking to do/achieve). LOOK INTO THE CONJUGATE METHOD. This could be a big help to you..(Got it, that's gonna get researched after the gym today. I like the sound of it already, sounds like something we'd use in physics. Well, physics are always a part of weightlifting anyways...but that's a whole other topic!)

Thats the long story of it.... Here's the short one.

Quads: Try front squats (as the gentleman above said- gonna have to put some pressure on the ol' knee caps. Not a problem. I used to do marathons/triathlons, so my knees are a bit shitty/cartilage erosion but nothing horrific. I will just get back on a supplement my ortho had me on that helps knees. I suck at front squats, I have to start on the smith and getting the bar to not be so damn uncomfy across my arms is tough- BUT there used to a competitive FBB here in town (she trained with her BB boyfriend, they incorporated PL moves, and she did heavy front squats and had killer quads. Her boyfriend also spotted her. I'd need a spot. I'll find one. First though I need to clean up my form on front squats.)
Lats: Pullups and deadlifts(Love my pullups. Deads for sure, question- is there a PL method of doing Rack Deads and do you guys do them?
Shoulders: Shoulder press / Push press / more laterals (push press- I'm familiar with. Oly/squat bar loaded with plates, you're standing correct? And start at around your collar bone, push from there...correct?)

I think sometimes people get too caught up in saying "I train like a bodybuilder" , "or train like a powerlifter". If your goals are a bit vague, you can train like both. The similarities are greater than the differences.

Hope this helps.
Yes I would agree. The similarities are for sure greater than differences. The only real major difference is in body building we're going for aesthetics, line, symmetry, single digit body fat, we get on a stage and pose, etc. Powerlifters who don't compete in body building (some do!) aren't as concerned with the "pretty" aspects of body building. But otherwise, yes, it's all in the same family.
I know how frustrating it is to give information to someone who's uneducated/naive/ignorant/a newbie in any area of study, and being advanced in that area, having to repeat the same information over and over to people who lack the knowledge- it can really piss you off. I know, I've been there. I get sick of having to repeat myself, or talk to someone brand new to something, and stay patient while I guide them to the proper channels of study. Mostly though, I find it draining. That's why we have coaches and teachers, people who are gifted at teaching the same things over and over and not let it become tedious/irritating.
So thank you for keeping the sarcasm at bay. I know how hard it is to try and impart information to someone new, and I thank you for doing that. It certainly does help.
I met a young man through my friend Tara who competes in body building but also does PL moves in her training, and also competes in PL, as does her boyfriend. Anyways this young man is only 21 but has been lifting since age 13. At age 16 he weighed almost 300 lbs. He is now 400 lbs. Tara's boyfriend is also 400 lbs, Tara is 200 lbs ripped. I wouldn't believe it but I saw pictures. And no, not ones gleaned from google, taken by a cell and sent directly to my cell. This guy trains people specifically in PL, he trained Tara's boyfriend for a few months- he lived in PA with the guy he was so serious about it...anyways this young man has seen my pictures, and believes he can help me achieve my potential to be pretty damn great incorporating PL moves into what I'm already doing with my coach. So we're going to look at my routines (which change weekly) and see where to insert them, etc. Since I believe in being thorough, I'll likely want to use most if not all PL moves, even if they don't necessarily "hit" the areas I've mentioned. Like I said, the body is a whole and should be treated as such.
So, it would appear I am on the right path. Again I thank you for your knowledge and patience.

usafbb
06-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Well, as Kismet would have it, there was a guy in the cage today at the gym doing front squats. Now, this guy looked like Samwise Gamgee, except his visceral abdominal fat was so extreme the first thing I did automatically is look to where they keep the paddles. Holy hell, the fact that he isn't dead is shocking. "Gut" fat is the most dangerous to the heart. I see 2 common "syndromes" among men in gyms. There's the "Colonel Sanders" syndrome- chicken legs. Too much emphasis on upper body. Neglect of lower. Then there's the guys who think, hey I lift heavy, therefore I don't need a heart healthy diet and a healthy amount of cardio. Those are the guys who typically have danger zone fat stores.
Anyways, I digress. During his front squat he went a2g- when he hit bottom he bounced up, ending up on his toes on the way up. He also didn't breathe. I'm gathering that was NOT proper form. His weight looked to be about 80 lbs total. Then he was rude enough to not only hog the cage for 45 minutes, he asked me to move my bench because he wanted to do "power cleans". He didn't remove his headset, while I did, and therefore asked me 3 times "What?" when I asked him how long he would be. I took my head sets out to hear him, he could have done the same. Etiquette.
His "power cleans" were likely just as wrong as his front squats. Lots of bouncing and bending backwards to get the weight up. I assume there's some room to bend back a bit, but is arching your back safe when doing a power clean?

Dan Fanelli
06-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Ideally, you wouldn't have any bend in your lower back. Your upper back will round at points, but all the power of getting the weight moving should be at the hips and a little at the knees.

If you haven't already, check out the SquatRx series on YouTube. Not sure if it shows Oly moves but will show all the squats. For front squats you dont necessarily need to go atg. For lighter weight higher rep stuff maybe, but I'll Often do box front squats to around parallel for sets of 3 or less. If your knees aren't great, I'd be very careful. I'd probably go lighter on squatting, heavier on deadlifts and then rely on extra volume through single leg work to make up for it. Heavy atg squats and front squats would be great for quads if you can do them, but if you blow out your knees, your quads won't be to spectacular.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep us uPdated.

usafbb
06-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Ideally, you wouldn't have any bend in your lower back. Your upper back will round at points, but all the power of getting the weight moving should be at the hips and a little at the knees.

If you haven't already, check out the SquatRx series on YouTube. Not sure if it shows Oly moves but will show all the squats. For front squats you dont necessarily need to go atg. For lighter weight higher rep stuff maybe, but I'll Often do box front squats to around parallel for sets of 3 or less. If your knees aren't great, I'd be very careful. I'd probably go lighter on squatting, heavier on deadlifts and then rely on extra volume through single leg work to make up for it. Heavy atg squats and front squats would be great for quads if you can do them, but if you blow out your knees, your quads won't be to spectacular.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep us uPdated.
Thanks Dan. My knees so far have been doing really well the past year and a half. No pain, no stiffness. So I'll give front squats and PL squats some attention for sure, and if I feel like there's that "tugging" feeling in my knees I'll adjust.

theBarzeen
06-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Welcome to the forum!

My wife competes as a powerlifter, but has recently had to bring up her upper back and quads ( to help with her dead lift mostly)

We used high pulls ( on the cable machine, with a rope or spud strap handle), barbell rows, and conventional deadlift for the back.....

For quads we moved her squat stance in to just outside shoulder width and had her squat more like an oly lifter, same with leg press: shoulder width and toes pointed straight ahead....

For us this was just auxiliary work done on top of our powerlifting routine, but it could help with your training as well.......

Good luck

usafbb
06-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Welcome to the forum!

My wife competes as a powerlifter, but has recently had to bring up her upper back and quads ( to help with her dead lift mostly)

We used high pulls ( on the cable machine, with a rope or spud strap handle), barbell rows, and conventional deadlift for the back.....

For quads we moved her squat stance in to just outside shoulder width and had her squat more like an oly lifter, same with leg press: shoulder width and toes pointed straight ahead....

For us this was just auxiliary work done on top of our powerlifting routine, but it could help with your training as well.......

Good luck

These are some good tips! So your wife does all the basic PL moves and finds it helps with adding quality mass?

Mark!
06-16-2011, 11:51 PM
First of all, welcome to the forums. As far as built goes, I don't think she frequents these forums anymore, she stopped a while back. Secondly, when I look at MOST olympic lifters, they lack size and physique, are you sure oly lifting is what you're looking for?

usafbb
06-17-2011, 08:39 AM
First of all, welcome to the forums. As far as built goes, I don't think she frequents these forums anymore, she stopped a while back. Secondly, when I look at MOST olympic lifters, they lack size and physique, are you sure oly lifting is what you're looking for?

Hey Mark! No actually, through research and a few helpful people here I've learned the difference between Oly lifting and PL moves. I'm going to stay a body builder, but incorporate PL moves into my routine to add some mass (hopefully). The idea came to me from several friends who compete in BB but also throw in PL moves or sometime even compete in PL competitions. It seems the 2 can be successfully integrated, because they are not that much different than each other, but enough difference to make changes physically.

usafbb
06-21-2011, 09:46 AM
AHAHAHAH thought this was funny- so after a week of research, talking to people, etc. today was my first day incorporating PL moves into my work out. I'm fried. But what's funny- one of the floor trainers asked my mom if I was a Power Lifter- she said well she works with a coach...- He says "Yeah well it shows!"
AHAHAH my first day ever doing PL moves and someone already thinks I look big and strong.