PDA

View Full Version : cheap sled

fresh
06-15-2011, 08:28 AM
i was at work thinking about building a sled i came up with this idea. i work for a tire and service shop as a mechanic and we do farm and semi tires along with car and truck tires and i noticed an old backhoe tire waiting to be scrapped. so i grabbed it and did this,

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab212/blkbomber01/0613111441b.jpg

i grabbed my drill and hole saw kit and drilled 2 2 and a half inch holes, one in the sidewall close to the shoulder of the tire and one in the shoulder. i kept about 4-5 inches between them. then i picked up a tow strap from harbor freight (you can get them from walmart too) for about 15 bucks

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab212/blkbomber01/0613111426b.jpg

then i put the tow strap through the holes

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab212/blkbomber01/0613111426a.jpg

and you end up with this

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab212/blkbomber01/0613111448a.jpg

if you can find a tire shop around you usually you can get an old tractor tire for free cause they have to pay to recycle them. total cost for this so far is 15 bucks, not bad if you ask me. i am going to use it for tire flips and other stuff too. any comments are welcome (its my first attempt and open for suggestions)

SEOINAGE
06-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Your tire doesn't look all that heavy which will be nice for drags but not as nice for flips. I would consider doing the same for my tire, but I am afraid I wouldn't be able to drag it on the ground at all.

fresh
06-15-2011, 10:39 AM
i agree about the flips... it was pretty easy.

barryisawinnah
06-15-2011, 11:12 AM
nice, you can always wedge a board or something in there and add weight for the drags too

fresh
06-15-2011, 12:10 PM
nice, you can always wedge a board or something in there and add weight for the drags too

thats a good idea... i was thinking sandbags also. there is a good amount of space inside the tire so they wont fall out

barryisawinnah
06-16-2011, 09:27 PM
thats a good idea... i was thinking sandbags also. there is a good amount of space inside the tire so they wont fall out

That's a better idea

Dan Fanelli
06-16-2011, 10:46 PM
I just use a regular car tire and 2 45s is pretty tough to pull

Mark!
06-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Have you already used it? Seems like the tire would jump or have a ton of friction (which isn't the purpose of a sled) and cause sudden jerks/movements, possibly cause an injury. You could find some old scrap metal and bolt some strips along the bottom, just enough to provide a hardened surface to act as true sleds, and would be cheap.

Off Road
06-17-2011, 06:53 AM
Friction is good when pulling a sled.

fresh
06-17-2011, 07:06 AM
it does have a good bit of friction (only just tested it out so far), but if it seems really bad i figured id bolt a piece of plywood or sheet metal as mark mentioned. i plan on using it next week and just go from there

Off Road
06-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Why would you want to reduce the friction? The friction is what gives you the workout, and why we add weights to our sleds.

If anything, I'd change the location of the holes so that all the friction isn't in the front of the tire (pulling the front down).

fresh
06-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Why would you want to reduce the friction? The friction is what gives you the workout, and why we add weights to our sleds.

If anything, I'd change the location of the holes so that all the friction isn't in the front of the tire (pulling the front down).

good point offroad... you think if i put them more in the center of the tread it would be better?

Off Road
06-17-2011, 08:57 AM
good point offroad... you think if i put them more in the center of the tread it would be better?

I think it would help.

fresh
06-17-2011, 10:25 AM
I think it would help.

thanks man... ill do that next week and try it out

Mark!
06-17-2011, 01:22 PM

I guess in terms in what I was trying to say is perhaps the placement of friction like you mentioned secondly. Friction obviously has to be there, it just seems with the current set up there would be an ungodly amount.

Dan Fanelli
06-17-2011, 02:16 PM

Doh my last response got deleted. I'll get it to you later. I don't think you should move the hole. Instead, you should add an extra hole directly opposite that one and have two straps connected to the tire that go to one. Hope that makes sense. But it will basically Even out a lot of the friction. Also, when you get done pulling in one direction, you won't have to turn the tire. You can just turn and go the other way.

SEOINAGE
06-17-2011, 09:35 PM
I don't see how pulling from that set up would cause the front to have more friction, I mean where he is pulling from is higher than the hole, in which case it would put more pressure on the back not the front. I guess you could lower it to really get some weight off the front. In all honesty it doesn't even matter and the situation is being over thought, put as much weight in it as you want to reach the desired difficulty.

krazylarry
06-18-2011, 02:01 AM
Nice, I actually was making one today out of and SUV tire, for my speed and conditioning.

fresh
06-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Doh my last response got deleted. I'll get it to you later. I don't think you should move the hole. Instead, you should add an extra hole directly opposite that one and have two straps connected to the tire that go to one. Hope that makes sense. But it will basically Even out a lot of the friction. Also, when you get done pulling in one direction, you won't have to turn the tire. You can just turn and go the other way.

im not sure if i follow what your saying. pretty much make the same holes on the other side of the tire (180* from original) and get another strap?

I don't see how pulling from that set up would cause the front to have more friction, I mean where he is pulling from is higher than the hole, in which case it would put more pressure on the back not the front. I guess you could lower it to really get some weight off the front. In all honesty it doesn't even matter and the situation is being over thought, put as much weight in it as you want to reach the desired difficulty.

from the strap being on the top of the tire more it will cause it to kinda nose dive... but its only a matter of drilling new holes if it doesnt work out.